Kaa-'Tsai Lecon Prane?

captain america

Hi Petar. Excellent question, and you're right: you can't slide a piece of paper between them cos the parts fit together like a hand in a glove.

The process I use to make the bucks fit so seamlessly is the same procedure I use whenever I have to mate two complex shapes together. I start by carving one shape (in this case, the cockpit tub) and make sure that the shape is just the way I want it. Next, I carve the canopy buck and get it to fit as closely as possible with machining and hand-carving.

Next, I apply a spray mold release to the cockpit tub, then smear Bondo all over the mating side of the buck and squash it into the tub and wait about 3 minutes for the Bondo to start to firm-up. Then, I carefully pull the buck out, let it harden fully for a few hours, then do the final finishing. Not hard to do, just watch out for the putty fumes, they're nasty! :blink:

This is a pretty common trick when building resin anime figure kits, especially ones that are recast poorly.

This is a pretty common trick when building resin anime figure kits, especially ones that are recast poorly.

Definitely. That's one of the problems with making a kit from a multiple-generation cast: the parts look OK to the naked eye, but there develops so much distortion with each generation that the parts no longer fit together. Putty, patience and prayer are the three pees needed for such kits :lol:

Heads-up to everyone: the next update might have to wait a few days because I've got parts strewn about everywhere. The tiny detail stuff is the most challenging and time-consuming and I don't want to rush it.

The sto-wing option. As you can see, the wings fold up into a neat little package :lol:

I'll wait until parts are cast to take more landing gear shots, since the fact that I don't have a second outboard engine screws up the balance and I don't want to take the chance and damage the gear. Naturally, parts are now on their way to mold prep, but sufficed to say, this turned out to be a much cooler project than even I had hoped.

post-632-127559704921_thumb.jpg

post-632-12755970614_thumb.jpg

post-632-12755970751_thumb.jpg

Hey John,

Wonderful kit, but I have a question? Is their anyway for you to put the Circle Marking(Panel Lines) around the Radar Dish? Or is that something we will have to Make a decal for? My only option on something that size, is for me to use a Razor from a Gasket making box( as in Cutting a gasket for Pipe or Large scale pumps) on black Vinyl to create the look.( only way for me to make a Perfect circle) I guess I can use a protractor? If I have confused you my bad. Not sure how else to explain what I am talking about.

I know this is anal but for me to be an exact replica I will have to do this :)

Carl

Hey John,

Wonderful kit, but I have a question? Is their anyway for you to put the Circle Marking(Panel Lines) around the Radar Dish? Or is that something we will have to Make a decal for? My only option on something that size, is for me to use a Razor from a Gasket making box( as in Cutting a gasket for Pipe or Large scale pumps) on black Vinyl to create the look.( only way for me to make a Perfect circle) I guess I can use a protractor? If I have confused you my bad. Not sure how else to explain what I am talking about.

I know this is anal but for me to be an exact replica I will have to do this :)

Carl

Hi Carl.

In my head, I never saw the black circle on the dish as a panel demarcation. It's actually REALLY easy to do with paint or decal though; just run a compass cutter over either some Frisket film if you prefer paint, or a sheet of black decal and the job is done. 3 minutes tops if you're slow. I wouldn't recommend doing a scribed line over the top due to the layout of the raised antenna pattern, but that's just me.

Well that just looks damn awesome John. I can't wait to build and add this to my collection! I promise to build this one up in 2010! I hate the fact that we have all these amazing short run resin kits out there and we rarely see them built up....

Regards, Petar

I shouldn't be surprised anymore, but looking at your masters is always a joy. Seeing the beginning and then the end product is amazing, it's like watching "How It's Made" on the science channel. Thanks for sharing the proces you go through, this is a pretty impressive looking kit!

Absolutely AWESOME work! Needless to say, you blew the other guy (no names please) out of the water! And no snide presidential remarks either :lol: If only it was in my scale... - MT

Your work is really fantastic!!

Thank you for making dreams come true.

Each time I see your kits I can't find words to describe my admiration ^_^

Truly an amazing creation! I cannot find the right words to describe this one, awesome is barely good enough.

I was wondering how limited this run will be or if you're still adding people to the sales list? I would love to purchase one (or two, time, mold life and savings permitting).

Truly an amazing creation! I cannot find the right words to describe this one, awesome is barely good enough.

I was wondering how limited this run will be or if you're still adding people to the sales list? I would love to purchase one (or two, time, mold life and savings permitting).

I think the best word to describe the plane is "adequate." I provide the raw basics for the modeler to unlock its potential with their talent.

There aren't any fixed commitments to the kit as yet, since I won't start collecting $$ for at least a week or 2, so feel free to climb aboard; still room left. ^_^

There aren't any fixed commitments to the kit as yet, since I won't start collecting $$ for at least a week or 2, so feel free to climb aboard; still room left. ^_^

Hey Captain, I'm very committed in getting one :o .

Hope that I don't have to stay awake the whole night waiting for your confirmation in collecting the $$. I almost missed the chance to get the Glaug :p .