It seems we're not getting colored battroids for the VTs. Pity.

Do we ever even see either of those in battroid mode in the animation? I don't recall seeing it, but it's been a while since I last watched DYRL. If we don't, then that's probably why only the fighter and GERWALK modes are colored.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Do we ever even see either of those in battroid mode in the animation? I don't recall seeing it, but it's been a while since I last watched DYRL. If we don't, then that's probably why only the fighter and GERWALK modes are colored.

We never see it in battroid mode. Which is why the design was never "finished" (or maybe that should be "polished"?)

Safe prediction: If issue 50 has any splash page at all, it'll be either the VF-2JA or the Monster Mk. I.

Oh, I really hope it's a 2JA (Battroid) double-page, then. To be honest, since #50 should be "packed" with stuff, I really hope it will have some extra pages (that is, more than 32 pages) to make Chronicle end in style.

Oh, I really hope it's a 2JA (Battroid) double-page, then. To be honest, since #50 should be "packed" with stuff, I really hope it will have some extra pages (that is, more than 32 pages) to make Chronicle end in style.

We'll see... though unless there's some mysterious gold mine of art and information that I've somehow missed, I'm gonna go ahead and say the space would probably be better spent on the Monster Mk.I. You could fit every piece of hard data we have on the VF-2JA onto a notecard, and there's just not enough art to actually warrant a four-page spread unless they decide to do the transformation on the back of the fourth side.

We'll see... though unless there's some mysterious gold mine of art and information that I've somehow missed, I'm gonna go ahead and say the space would probably be better spent on the Monster Mk.I. You could fit every piece of hard data we have on the VF-2JA onto a notecard, and there's just not enough art to actually warrant a four-page spread unless they decide to do the transformation on the back of the fourth side.

I don't know about the data, but there is enough lineart to fill the splash page (fighter, gerwalk, battroid with/without missile packs on the back). Throw in a juicy extra report (dreaming: VF1R?) et voilà, you have you Nice 2JA double page.

Besides, is there enough material on Mac I to cover even a single sheet?

Edited by nexxstrait

Besides, is there enough material on Mac I to cover even a single sheet?

This is a good point. As cool as it would be, I don't think there's enough information, let alone art, available. The VF-2JA makes more sense to me, too.

• 2 weeks later...

Issue #50 preview is out

cover.jpg

Azrael will love the cover... :p

* ■テクノロジーシート

・バリアブルファイター/VF系統図

・マクロス級と後継艦

* ■メカニックシート

・HWR-00-MkⅠP モンスター

・SDF-1 マクロス

・Az-130A パンツァーゾルン

・VF-25S メサイア

・VF-2JA イカロス

・メルトランディ軍艦艇

* ■タイムラインシート

・プロトカルチャー史と人類の歩み

* ■キャラクターシート

・リン・ミンメイ

・ブルーノ・J・グローバル

* ■ヒストリーシート

・リン・ミンメイ作戦

* ■ワールドガイドシート

・プロトカルチャー

* ■エクストラシート

・マクロス・シリーズの軌跡

No Macross II history sheet, from what I get (but someone with better translation skills could prove me wrong. I rely on google...)

Having seen the image below I guess we won't be getting the VFX Raven pilots sheet after all. Pity (no color Stampede either. Grrr...).

01_l.jpg

Edited by nexxstrait

Huh... looks like an interesting issue after all...

Technology sheets for "Variable Fighter Genealogy", and "Macross-class ships and successors". Mechanic sheets for Mk.I Monster destroid, SDF-1 Macross (DYRL?), Az-130A, VF-25S, VF-2JA, and Meltrandi military vessels. A timeline sheet called "Milestones in the history of mankind", character sheets for Minmay and Global, an Operation Minmay history sheet (M2?!), and a Protoculture worldguide...

Ohh, maybe I was wrong then. It MUST be the MII history sheet. Horayy!

I seriously doubt it. The SDFM History sheet #15 is Max and Milia's wedding. #16 is so far absent. And #17 is the capture of the factory satellite.

As much as you like Macross II, would you really Chronicle to skip the truly climactic battle of SDFM...?

Oh, and in Macross: A Future Chronicle, the big battle against Bodolzaa is called "the Lynn Minmay Operation." It's not solely a Macross II term. :)

I seriously doubt it. The SDFM History sheet #15 is Max and Milia's wedding. #16 is so far absent. And #17 is the capture of the factory satellite.

As much as you like Macross II, would you really Chronicle to skip the truly climactic battle of SDFM...?

Oh, and in Macross: A Future Chronicle, the big battle against Bodolzaa is called "the Lynn Minmay Operation." It's not solely a Macross II term. :)

Damn! :( You're so cruel...

Well, the big 50. It's been a long road. It's nice the Chronicle has emphasized the same mecha that I emphasized on my own website (for the most part) and hasn't expanded coverage of any obscure vehicles that really didn't warrant it. Makes building material for my site a lot easier and lets me know I'm on the same page as the official franchise builders of Macross. There does seem to be lots of "Extra" sheets coming out in these later issues. Guess the MC wasn't planned all that meticulously or maybe the extra sheets were planned as "overflow" all along (perhaps to entice fans to get those last few issues "packed with goodies"). At any rate, I can't think of anything the Macross Chronicle has missed that I was hoping they'd cover. They've gone through most of the major stuff, even going so far as to color several vehicles I wouldn't touch for lack of reference AND provide statistics for a lot of mecha I never suspected would get any love (VF-9, VF-14, etc). Overall, I'd call the series a big win in my books.

Issue #50 preview is out

Technology:

Variable Fighter / VF lineage figure

Macross Class and successor warships

Mechanic

HWR-00-Mk I p Monster

SDF-1 Macross

Az-130a Pantsuazorun

VF-25s Messiah

VF-2JA Icarus

Meltorandi Forces Military Vessels

Timeline

Protoculture History and Mankind's Progress

Character Sheet

Rin Minmei

Burunoo J. Guroobaru

History Sheet

Rin Minmei Operation

Worldguide

Protoculture

Extra Sheet

Tracks of the Macross Series

Having seen the image below I guess we won't be getting the VFX Raven pilots sheet after all. Pity (no color Stampede either. Grrr...).

Shame on the lack of VF-X Raven's pilots. Nevertheless, B&W is better than nothing when it comes to those Advance Valkyrie designs.

There does seem to be lots of "Extra" sheets coming out in these later issues.

It's a category consistant with other similar publications. It's not so much for overflow, but for stuff that doesn't fit into any of the other catagories. In MC's case, it also appears to be for content that isn't part of any of the animated releases.

Contents review #49

Front cover: English "1 ISSUE TO GO". Japanese "after 1 issue until the completion of this magazine"

Mechanic:

M7 Baroota: 01c: Fz-109 Erugaazorun. Gun pods, hand, ejectible cockpit, and transformation.

M7 Baroota: 04b: Baroota Fleet: Gigiru's warship, standard battleship, high speed rading, Battroid large carrier, frigate. Some stats (though a lot more "under investigation" than I'd like), and some focusing on the weapons and catapults.

7Movie etc 01a: Kwadoran Kiruka Holy everything but the standard armaments is "under investigation!" (Though the user gets an honourable mention: "-".) Reverse has bits on how the cockpit opens and armaments (missile line art, too).

DYRL UNS 04a: VT-1/VE-1 One data block for both. The VT-1 takes up 7/8 of the reverse! VE-1 doesn't get much coverage, but that's not surprising, as there's not that much data, let alone line art for it in the first place! The cockpit seating of the VT-1 in battroid mode is a nice touch (not sure if it's been published in the Gold Book, or elsewhere. First time I noticed it).

DYRL Cit 01a: Civilian vehicles: (sports) car, mini-car, open sports car, random vehicles. Interesting, but sadly no line art on the grabbling hooks the cars have to prevent them from floating away when gravity gets cut...

Characters:

7 Movie: cit 01a Emiria Jiinasu. Reverse has her fishbowl and guitar.

D7 UNS 01a: Gamurin Kakizaki about 1/3 of the reverse is on his "new beloved craft", the VF-22S!

Timeline

MII 01: the... whole... OVA... series... one... page... !!!!!one!eleven!

Extra reports on "Operation Minmei" and "the construction of Mardook society"

History

SDFM 18a: Macross City (offense and defense) battle. Extra reports on "Macross City after that" and "Earth and the Zentraadi"

Worldguide:

02a: Anti-UN Alliance. Interesting. Bits on the history, people, and equipment (obviously M0 and SDFM only), as well as Anti-UN Alliance incidents (Birdman Incident, South Ataria Island Defensive battle, Bombing of the Grand Cannon II, and the destruction of the fleet returning from Mars). Extra reports on "The postwar influence/power of the anti-unification (UN) government" (with picts from the tail end of SDFM AND the Macross Galaxy fleet's mainland 1!) and "the military enterprises of the anti-UN alliance series" (that's series of equipment).

08b: Vajra "Fold quartz and the Vajra Network". Front has pict of vajra in tube from first quarter of MF, and re3verse is about their network and lifecycle (in short: egg -> ai-kun -> small Vajra etc.) Extra reports on "alien lifeforms other than the Vajra" (Galactic whale, Saurobird, protodevlin) and "the song of the Vajra".

Technology:

13a: Unmanned Craft (aka: Ghosts, Ghosts, and more Ghosts). Reverse has a wicked cool bird's eye view of the AIF-7S (finally getting some clarity on the shape of the Ghost's lifting body!), as well as the ghost series (ghost of the UN War period, Ghost of the SWI period, and Ghosts after the 2040's); as well as the points of difference with a VF (unmanned, doesn't transform, multi-purose, excellent cost-performance). Extra report on "VFs that have systems to control the unmanned craft" (VF-171, VF-171EX Aegis Pack, RVF-25)

Glossary

#27. Noteable content: Ravens (as in VF-X), Roi Fokka x2! FTW!!, Captain Robert (M0. He had a name?!), (Destroid) Works, YF-19/21/24 Evolution (what? no YF-24?), Planet Eden/Zola/Rakusu, "My Boyfriend's a pilot", and of course, Rori Doseru and Warera Nantesu!

Gooods Sheet #07 Games

A lot. Sasdly, there's an all too brief, with individual images that are too small wicked cool photo montage from the featured games. (SDFM DYRL still has the best screen cuts!) Anyhow, featured games:

PC Engine: SDFM Macross (1992)

Game Boy Colour: Macross 7 (2000)

Wanda Swan (?!) SDFM Macross (2000)

PS1: SDFM DYRL (1999, also for sega saturn 1997), Macross Digital Mission VF-X (1997), Macross VF-X2 (1999), Macross Plus -Game Edition- (2000)

Dreamcast: Macross M3 (2001)

PS2: SDFM (2003)

PSP: Macross Ace Frontier (2008), Macross Ultimate Frontier (2009)

Each one has a brief synopsis.

Extra report on "Macross games for the PC": Macross since 1983 (1998), Macross V0 (2001), SDFM Typing Valkyrie (2002)

Extra sheet:

G&AV 8: VF-X-7 Ghost Valkyrie, VF-X-11, VA-X-3, V-BR-2, Stampede Valkrie. All are listed as being from "Advanced Valkyrie". Extra report on "Other Valkyries". Featuring the Armoured Gerwalk, and mentioning the VF-X-4 gerwalk that appeared in an anime magazine's "Macross Times" section, and there are many variations that exist for (computer) games.

#50 preview images:

DYRL Rin Minmei

DYRL VF-1S

SDFM Captain Guroobaru

M0 HWR-00-Mk-I Monster

and the text "concluded at last in the next issue"

Revised predictions from #49

Mechanic:

M0 - UN

05 Ship-Borne aircraft - transport helicopters, refuelling craft, F-14A+ if we're lucky.

SDFM - UN

01d SDF-1 ship systems (fold drive, gravity control, PPB control, etc.)

I wonder if we'll ever see the VEFR-1/VF-1G and the magic hands...

M7 - UN

11 ??? Destroids?

Zentraadi <- not coming???

01 Quadlunn-Rau

02 Meltraandi Fleet

Varoota

01c transformation <- called it

02 Az-130 (maybe a B sheet, with transformation)

04b Varoota fleet: remaining 5 ships <- called it

M7 Movie

Queadlunn-Kirutera[b] <- Missed![/b]

MF - Etc

02b (Macross Galaxy) Mainland

04 Macross Galaxy Fleet (Deneb Class, Darfim)

DYRL - UN

04a VT-1 and VE-1 <- called it

Meltrandi

03b Meltrandi fleet (rest of the ships)

Civilian

01a vehicles <--- missed

MII - UN

02a VF-2JA Icarus

Extra Sheet

Game and Advanced Valkyrie 8 <--- missed

History - M0

SDFM

16 Rin Minmei Operation

18 Macross City Battle <--- missed

M7

04b remaining Protodevlin

MII

01 MII entire history

Tech

03c I've been left with a feeling that there is more to say on Emigrant ships. Especially about Mainland 1.

13 Unmanned Craft <--- missed

16 Varoota equipment/weapons

17 Protoculture equipment/weapons

Worldguide

02a Anti-UN Alliance <--- missed

03a ???

08b Vajra <--- missed

28 South Ataria Island

30 Varoota War

7Movie etc 01a: Kwadoran Kiruka Holy everything but the standard armaments is "under investigation!" (Though the user gets an honourable mention: "-".) Reverse has bits on how the cockpit opens and armaments (missile line art, too).

:rolleyes: Does that thing even HAVE armaments? I mean, it's basically the Meltrandi equivalent of Basara's VF-19 Kai. Emilia probably replaced the forearm guns with some theatrical glitter dispensers or something.

MII 01: the... whole... OVA... series... one... page... !!!!!one!eleven!

Extra reports on "Operation Minmei" and "the construction of Mardook society"

Okay, I know I'm probably going to regret asking this later... what year(s) does the timeline sheet allege the events of the Macross II OVA took place in? If they really did their research this time, it should be 2092.

Extra report on "VFs that have systems to control the unmanned craft" (VF-171, VF-171EX Aegis Pack, RVF-25)

What, no mention of the VF-2SS? :rolleyes:

Now that's a damn shame, since the VF-2SS was the first VF in Macross to have that ability...

PC Engine: SDFM Macross (1992)

Wanda Swan (?!) SDFM Macross (2000)

Damn... no mention of Macross 2036 or Macross: Eternal Love Song? Weird that they'd remember the Wonderswan games though. :lol:

:rolleyes: Does that thing even HAVE armaments? I mean, it's basically the Meltrandi equivalent of Basara's VF-19 Kai. Emilia probably replaced the forearm guns with some theatrical glitter dispensers or something.

Haven't looked that closely at it, have we. It's got more weapons than a Kwadoran-Rau.

Okay, I know I'm probably going to regret asking this later... what year(s) does the timeline sheet allege the events of the Macross II OVA took place in? If they really did their research this time, it should be 2092.

Starts in 2091, and ends in... 2091. Intro paragraph at the top also says "takes place 80 years after the alliance between Earthers and Zentraadi".

What, no mention of the VF-2SS? :rolleyes:

So far MC has been pretty consistant in focusing only on technology from the Studio Nue line...

Starts in 2091, and ends in... 2091. Intro paragraph at the top also says "takes place 80 years after the alliance between Earthers and Zentraadi".

Oh ho... I see what they did there... :rolleyes:

Of all the Macross shows, Macross II is the one that draws most heavily on its Gundam roots, and its lead mechanical designer was fresh from his work on the Char's Counterattack movie when he started working on it... so this appears to be an extremely unsubtle Gundam reference. Under that silly "New Era" calendar they had for a while and then ignored, 2091 corresponds to year 0079 of the New Era.

The original/correct date of 2092 was a reference to its status as an anniversary OVA. It was for the 10th anniversary, and was set 100 (10^2) years in the future (from the modern day), making it 2092. The last Zentradi attack that the U.N. defeated was ten years ago, in 2082 (2082 - 100 = 1982, the year SDF:M TV aired).

So far MC has been pretty consistant in focusing only on technology from the Studio Nue line...

I know, I know :p

(Just teasing about how stuff from Macross II keeps cropping up as though it was new and original material in later Macross shows)

Before I forget: the section on the Stampede Valkyrie mentions that it has similar packs to (or packs that inspired the packs on) the VF-25 Tornado Packs!

Isn't that old news? I remember seeing some of Kawamori's early sketches of the VF-25 Armored Packs where they said it was inspired by the Stampede Valkyrie. The Tornado Packs look more like a mix of design aesthetics from the Valkyrie II's Super Armed Pack and the VF-0's Ghost Booster.

I suggest HMV Japan. They have an optional English format on their site, their prices are comparable and their merchandise is packaged properly for overseas shipping. I've ordered from HMV Japan many times and never had a bad experience.

HMV Japan

Hope that helps.

2091.:p

Damn... no mention of Macross 2036 or Macross: Eternal Love Song? Weird that they'd remember the Wonderswan games though. :lol:

Actually, the PC Engine one featured is "Eternal Love Song". However, I too found it odd that Macross 2036 was conspicuously absent while the Wonderswan piece of boredom was there.

2091.:p

Yeah, I know... sketchley already told me about it. It looks like they were unable to decide which year was the correct one, and decided to split the difference between the date derived from a literal application of "80 years later" (2090) and the date that the OVA's creators supplied via the official timeline made to connect DYRL, M2036, and M:ELS (2092). It's just another strange goof, like what they accidentally did (and then tried rationalizing) with the VF-19's thrust ratings.

Actually, the PC Engine one featured is "Eternal Love Song". However, I too found it odd that Macross 2036 was conspicuously absent while the Wonderswan piece of boredom was there.

Really? That's bizarre... I wish they'd managed to do a Game and Advanced Valkyrie sheet for the VF-1 Attack Valkyrie and VF-4 Siren. Oh well...

I second HMV Japan and have also used them many times. You can select English to navigate their site.

Amazon Japan is also another good choice as well. Again, you can select English to navigate their site.

Graham

A point of note: With HMV Japan they only ship using EMS, they don't really have a SAL option for their books and magazines, so keep that in mind if you're keeping an eye on the costs.

I personally don't mind since I get them in bulk from them, tracked and insured.

We will update Official Macross Timeline!!!

No.50

6月10日

定価:690円(税込)

最終号

さらに、タイムラインシートでは、「プロトカルチャー史と人類の歩み」と題し、

プロトカルチャーの時代からマクロスFの時代に至る、壮大な年表を掲載します!

100528_1_8.jpg

Edited by kresphy