I loved the MG Hi-Nu ver. Ka announcement. Amusingly it looks MUCH truer to the original Izubuchi art than the awful mess that is the original MG Hi-Nu. I almost wonder if Katoki is deliberately designing this as a restoration of what Hi-Nu is supposed to be.

Everything from the Shizouka Hobby show is up at GundamGuy. Looks like the new 1/100 is just simplified like 1/100 NG's.. What excited me the most is the MG Hi-Nu Gundam ver Ka.

I kind of figured it would be something like that. bandai's thing as of late has been trying to find ways of getting around the upward price creep of MG lately.

Everything from the Shizouka Hobby show is up at GundamGuy. Looks like the new 1/100 is just simplified like 1/100 NG's.. What excited me the most is the MG Hi-Nu Gundam ver Ka.

Holy moly, that is a ton of stuff. I must be dense, though, because I'm not getting what sets RE/100 apart from MG. I'm pretty new to gunpla - can anybody explain it to me like I was a child?

Not sure about the actual differences as it was only announced today and the show is not open to the public yet.

But as was said most likely a kit quality between HG and MG to 1/100 kits more affordable.

With MG 3.0 I doubt that the would go with more detail and a higher parts count.

Holy moly, that is a ton of stuff. I must be dense, though, because I'm not getting what sets RE/100 apart from MG. I'm pretty new to gunpla - can anybody explain it to me like I was a child?

From the picture below, it is a much simpler construct compared to MGs. Minimal internal frame, and mostly just 2 halves put together. MG's have much higher part count and usually have a substantial inner frame. You can say it's like comparing the No Grade 1/100 Duel Gundam http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10031171 to the MG Duel Gundam http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10169371

This probably means that it's gonna have a hell lot of seam lines to putty up

sz-5.jpg

You son of a Bi... Bandai!!

Pretty awsome they are doing the MG Hi-Nu Ver. Ka, will buy at least two of these!

I actually still like the first one, that one can still hold its own against newer kits. I think its only weak point to me are those sliding hip-joints as I had those break on me. I replaced them and have had no issues afterward, but I am still a bit wary about them. Never had problems with the reinterpreted design, I think Izubuchi was asked by Bandai to do this.

RE/100 is kind of reassuring that 1/100 is still viable for Bandai, with all the 1/144 stuff they keep pumping out. Not a fan of Nightingale, but Mk.-III and GP04 are some great selections, might get these. I can live without proper inner frames for this line, but one thing I do hope is that they do not omit the cockpits/hatches and the tiny pilots. That is something I have always liked with the 1/100 scale.

Edited by lechuck

Thanks for the clarifications. I didn't see that "exploded" pic - it really lays out what's going on. Looks like a bigger scale HG to me. This is exactly the opposite of what I was expecting (introducing a higher-complexity division of MG), but I guess it accomplishes much the same thing, by splitting 1/100 into more and less complex/expensive lines.

Interesting that the blue polycap substitutes all seen to be of identical design, whereas a traditional polycap kit might have a dozen or more different kinds used throughout. I wonder if they are really pushing a "one size fits all" joint connector, or if they just carefully chose a simple example for their display.

More web-exclusive Master Grades:

MG Hi-Nu Ver.Ka HWS!!!

wait, what? I'm so confused by this. so Hi-Nu is going to be web exlusive? WHY THE frakk WOULD YOU DO THAT BANDAI? and what's this HWS buisness? HWS was only for the Nu gundam.

Anyways, the other two I could care less about. MG Unicorn is one kit I have zero interest in building and inspection color 7S is pointless to me since I would just end up painting over it anyways, which I could do cheaper with the existing blue version.

BTW, having finally actually seen the hi-nu ver. ka sculpt; I don't really like it. The legs are really bulky and the backpack is huge. I think I'd rather get the regular Nu ver. Ka and paint it blue.

Hey Ghost... I was just looking at the K-9 Kit. Looks pretty cool!

So, I'm kinda in the market for a new 1/144 kit... I might get a Real grade Gundam or Zaku... but I'd be interested in another 1/144 GM.

Custom

Sniper

Jegan

Or maybe the Nu gundam or hi-nu

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Edited by Noyhauser

Hey Ghost... I was just looking at the K-9 Kit. Looks pretty cool!

So, I'm kinda in the market for a new 1/144 kit... I might get a Real grade Gundam or Zaku... but I'd be interested in another 1/144 GM.

Custom

Sniper

Jegan

Or maybe the Nu gundam or hi-nu

Any thoughts or recommendations?

I couldn't tell from the question if you have built any Real Grades already. If you haven't, oh my god, do it. The detail, the articulation - they are simply amazing.

I couldn't tell from the question if you have built any Real Grades already. If you haven't, oh my god, do it. The detail, the articulation - they are simply amazing.

I haven't, but the current hasn't really interested me all that much... save for the good ole' gundam and zaku. I might just get a green one to start.

Thanks guys.

I haven't, but the current hasn't really interested me all that much... save for the good ole' gundam and zaku. I might just get a green one to start.

Thanks guys.

The RG MK II and GP-01 are solid kits, maybe you could check them out too.

GP01 is one of three I've built (with RX-78-2 and Freedom), and I also adore it. Great look, excellent detail, and including the core fighter system borders on miraculous. But it doesn't get my vote as ambassador, due to posing issues. The darn thing cannot bring its legs together, so it can only manage these dynamic stances. Getting a neutral pose out of it confounds me, compared to the other two, which can look as casual as if they were standing around the water cooler. The RX-78-2 may be finicky as heck with shedding parts, but it would get my vote for its classic look and ability to assume so many human poses, dynamic or otherwise.

Edited by Nekko Basara