I think I'm just stupidly slow with these kits. And I don't even paint (except for detail parts like the verniers). At least half of my time is spent on panel lining, which I do before assembly (because panel lining a completed kit would just be do tedious that I'd never do it).

I dunno... I'm happy when I'm done, and I get my money's worth, I suppose, but it might be more fun to just get the kit together. The Freedom got to be such a chore by the end that I didn't touch another kit for about three months. To be fair, Kerbal Space Program may also be to blame for the hiatus.

Anyhow, I think the Skygrasper looks neat just for being something that isn't a MS. But I agree that it's overpriced, and I don't have the Aile yet. That goes on my "someday" list.

I use minimal amounts of paint on HG kits, because I really suck at painting models, and zero on the RG kits. As for panel lining, I haven't done any because I'm afraid that I'll suck at it as much as I do at painting, but I can see how they'd make a HG kit pop. My Gouf Custom is pretty monochrome.

I don't really see the need for it on the RG kits, though. The armor already has enough seems and what not, and they have a realistic sort of "if I built a 15m tall robot war machine, it'd look like this" way. Drawing panel lines on an RG kit is sort of like adding a cartoon detail.

Of course, the thing that's great about Gunpla is that everyone can do it however they like! Paint it, don't paint it, draw panel lines, don't draw panel lines, build lots of MS in one scale or build your favorite MS in many different scales, be a fan of RG or be a fan of MG, Gunpla has options for everyone.

Just as a tangent, here is my RX-78-2 demonstrating how screwball size and mass are in the Gundam universe.

These two machines are in the same scale and, according to the Gundam wiki, weight roughly the same amount:

Ok, the size I can see, maybe. I mean, I'd have to see the real tank with a person next to it, and maybe the little Amuro piece next to the model tank.

But they weigh the same? How light is Luna Titanium supposed to be?

Edited by mikeszekely

I don't really see the need for it on the RG kits, though. The armor already has enough seems and what not, and they have a realistic sort of "if I built a 15m tall robot war machine, it'd look like this" way. Drawing panel lines on an RG kit is sort of like adding a cartoon detail.

Of course, the thing that's great about Gunpla is that everyone can do it however they like! Paint it, don't paint it, draw panel lines, don't draw panel lines, build lots of MS in one scale or build your favorite MS in many different scales, be a fan of RG or be a fan of MG, Gunpla has options for everyone.

I think it can depend on the kit and on taste. I personally felt like the fine panel lines on the RG RX-78-2 had subtle look, but on the GP-01 they were much more pronounced and looked cartoonish.

I also completely agree with your thoughts on how to approach Gunpla. I get very sad when I see a builder disrespect others because they don't paint, don't do weathering, don't build such-and-such scale, etc.The point, to me, is that Gunpla is a game we play against ourselves, so we set our own rules and we define our own "winning" conditions, with the end result being the fun of accomplishing them. A nice straight build can be just as meaningful to the maker and as worthy of praise as the most elaborately modded kitbash. Personally, I came to Gunpla (not long ago) as an alternative to building scale military models, because I no longer have the time, space, or patience to mess with airbrushing and weathering and all that jazz. I just wanted the fun of putting a clean kit together, and it has provided that in spades.

Ok, the size I can see, maybe. I mean, I'd have to see the real tank with a person next to it, and maybe the little Amuro piece next to the model tank.

But they weigh the same? How light is Luna Titanium supposed to be?

I grabbed another couple of things to semi-answer this. Here is my HGUC RX-79(G) "Ez8" alongside an unpainted RG pilot figure and an old (fancifully painted) model of the Maus, the heaviest true tank to ever move under its own power. I picked the Maus not just for its size, but because it has a commander figure, who looks about in scale with the RG pilot - maybe a tad smaller.

The Maus weighed about 188 metric tons. The Ez8, fully loaded, weighs 71.7. So, my feeling on Luna Titanium is that if it's that light, what happens to a Gundam in a stiff breeze?

post-29037-0-93167300-1406923937_thumb.jpg

Well for my birthday i got a PG wing zero and a full armor 1/144 unicorn destroy mode.

Oooh... I wouldn't mind a 1/144 Unicorn Destroy Mode for my own collection.

By the way, my Zaku pilot has a name. :D

post-187-0-92166100-1407018129_thumb.jpg

Grats and happy birthday, Hikuro!

Mike, although I am startled at the informality of the Zeon forces, I am awed by your fine decal work.

Do you suppose we three should spin off some sort of build thread or RG appreciation thread? I feel like we are monopolizing this one, but I don't know if anybody cares.

Oooh... I wouldn't mind a 1/144 Unicorn Destroy Mode for my own collection.

By the way, my Zaku pilot has a name. :D

attachicon.gifWP_20140802_18_17_01_Pro.jpg

A good mike is a dead mike :p

We shall always remember him up till the day he took a gundam hammer to the knee.

Grats and happy birthday, Hikuro!

Mike, although I am startled at the informality of the Zeon forces, I am awed by your fine decal work.

Do you suppose we three should spin off some sort of build thread or RG appreciation thread? I feel like we are monopolizing this one, but I don't know if anybody cares.

Chances are it'll just get put back into here cause it's a modeling thread related to Gundam.

I finished decaling both my Shenlong and Wing Zero Prototype.....dear god, I used every single rub on transfer on my wing zero. EVERY SINGLE ONE. Still had a small amount left on Shenlong but seriously, why do I wanna put a designation rub on to it? And not too mention WHERE?!

I'm sitting here right now looking at my EW PG zero and I feel super intimidated. It's not my first PG, I've built Strike with his Aile Pack, and a Zaku II. But this, this is like so different. Which is odd! Cause the Zaku II was an old kit too, but I guess this kit is even older as it has wiring! The others didn't that I can think back too! I've been told not to panic, it's not difficult, just breath and take my time when it comes to it.

But I'm also sitting here thinking if in some way I should completely customize this, some kind of pearl or metalic white and blue and red, something to make it shine. Use gunmetal for the frame....but same time I"m kinda like "Naaaaahhhh"

I am startled at the informality of the Zeon forces

It's a quirk of the Universal Century that everyone seems to be on a first name basis. It's always "Amuro," "Commander Char," "Sovereign Degwin," or "Captain Bright", never "Ray," "Commander Aznable," "Sovereign Zabi," or "Captain Noa."

A good mike is a dead mike :p

Hey...

We shall always remember him up till the day he took a gundam hammer to the knee.

I'd like to think he made it through the One Year War, laid low for a few years, hooked up with the AEUG, defected back to Axis, made it through the first Neo Zeon War, skipped the second Neo Zeon War because, while he's all for Zeon's independence and the rights of Spacenoids in the face of a corrupt Federation, dropping Axis on Earth is a little extreme. Maybe he hooks up with the Sleeves, maybe he as adventures after 0096, but he's retired on a nice colony by 0123. And you know why he lives, while Tomino is killing everyone else? Because he has the good sense not to screw with Gundam pilots.

I don't think we need a separate thread. The RGs are my favorite, but Gunpla is Gunpla. If someone wants to show off a PG they build (*cough cough Hikuro cough*), I'm still going to admire it. Besides, it's not like this thread gets a ton of action, like the Transformers thread or the something.

But I'm also sitting here thinking if in some way I should completely customize this, some kind of pearl or metalic white and blue and red, something to make it shine. Use gunmetal for the frame

Do it!

I finished decaling both my Shenlong and Wing Zero Prototype.

Pics? Half the fun of Gunpla is showing it off later.

Speaking of...

post-187-0-36831200-1407035921_thumb.jpg

Edited by mikeszekely

One of my least favorite parts of Gunpla is finishing a cool MS and having a whole pile of accessories left to build, so I decided to take a break from the Mk. II itself, and get its gear ready.

Of course, without the completed MS to show off its weapons, a stand-in was needed.
post-29037-0-09594100-1407045556_thumb.jpgpost-29037-0-20467700-1407045718_thumb.jpg

yeah....accessories like extra hands and beam sabers and stuff like that.

PG Zero is intimidating. I'm taking it slow, 1 limb at a time. I think the arm I just built had 6 screws and 3 washers or somethings....and the armor parts don't fit well, they're very loose. So what I might end up having to do if I can find my cement glue brush is go over the seam lines very lightly so they'll melt the plastic and bond then just gently sand it even. I've had the elbow armor pop off once already, and the shoulder under armor doesn't fit well, neither does the bicep.

Yeah, elbow and bicep armor are the worst on PG WGZC. Legs hold together much better, though it can be finicky to get the spring-loaded back-of-knee gimmick working just right---but once you do, it should be "set for life" assuming you don't disassemble the armor there.

Strike

post-187-0-96380700-1407262933_thumb.jpg

And Strike with the Aile Striker pack.

post-187-0-72981700-1407262946_thumb.jpg

Some thoughts on my last two builds... the Zaku was actually pretty fun. I thought that the hoses would suck, since (as I think Hikuro mentioned) each segment of the hose is a separate piece. While they're not as pleasant as the Mk-II's, they're actually not too bad as long as you follow the instructions and feed the inner piece through the segments while they're still on the runner. The result, especially on the legs, seems sturdier and more flexible than on the hoses on the HGUC Gouf Custom. On the downside, a lot of the inner black piece can show in between the segments. I also like it that the Zaku gives you a lot of options for customizing... there's two pieces for the top of the head, one that's smooth and one with a notch for attaching a crest... of which you get two. The stickers also give you three different Zeon emblems for each of the three locations the instructions say they go, and a bunch of rank insignias, numbers, and letters. My only gripe there is that there's only one of each letter, and only one of each of the big numbers. The Zaku comes with a machine gun, bazooka, and a heat hawk... no leg missiles, sturmfaust, crackers, or Top cannon. The bazooka can be stored on the rear skirt armor, the magazine for the machine gun can be stored on the rear or on side skirt armor, and the heat hawk can be stored with an optional clip on the rear or side skirt armor. The Zaku doesn't seem to have a place to store the rifle when it's not in use, though, which is a bit of a letdown since every other RG kit I've build does, except for Strike. It might have been because it was so different after building RG Gundam after Gundam, or it might be because the RG "if it existed in real life" style really gives a lot of detail and life to what was a pretty simple animated design, but I think the Zaku II might be my favorite RG kit after the Mk-II.

As for Strike, he's got a some gimmicks I like. There's the tiny Armor Schneider knives, which fold up and store in the side skirt armor, for one. There's also the way that you build the entire cockpit as one unit, then stick it onto the frame and build the rest of the torso around it. The result is pretty solid by RG standards. The stickers also come with a few options. In the default build, you have the O.M.N.I. insignia on the front of the right shoulder, and the model number on the left. Since the RX-78, Mk-II, Strike Freedom, and Zeta I already built have their assigned ship on the right and the model on the left, I opted to put an Archangel sticker on the front of Strike's right shoulder. The stickers also give you three "110" stickers, but I couldn't find anywhere that indicated where to use them, so I put the O.M.N.I. shoulder sticker on the back of the left shoulder, and one of the 110s on the back of the right, and the second 110 on the left rear skirt armor. The third 110 (which is white instead of gray) went onto the black part of the Aile Striker's right wing. Finally, for some reason you're given two of the sticker that goes in the center of the shield. Since it's a white O.M.N.I. insignia, and since I didn't have one on the front of Strike, I cut part of it off and put it on the front left of Strike's chest.

I think my enjoyment of Strike actually goes down with the Aile Striker. Sure, it's basically the default version of Strike, but like the other SEED kits it suffers from being too back-heavy, plus the Aile Striker seems to interfere with Strike's ability to turn his head. I suppose it's not as big a deal if you put them on Action Bases, but to me it just reminds me how the older Gundam designs are a little more like almost believable military hardware while the SEED designs are just over-the-top and flashy.

Aile Strike is looking great! I'm trying to decide between doing that one or the Exia next; they both have a lean, flexible look that I dig (at least without the Striker pack). If you have any opinions one way or the other, I'd love to hear. Can't get over the goofy knives on the Aile - I was a knife maker and collector many moons ago!

I also have a (red) Zaku kicking around, but I haven't been too keen to build it, although yours looks great. I imagine the mold has so many head options so that they could make command and/or Char version with the same mold. Regarding the hoses, I was apprehensive about using their assembly method because I felt it would make cleaning the sprue marks difficult. Did that have you much trouble? Also, how much of a bummer is it that they don't give you an extra drum for the rifle?

Aile Strike is looking great! I'm trying to decide between doing that one or the Exia next; they both have a lean, flexible look that I dig (at least without the Striker pack). If you have any opinions one way or the other, I'd love to hear. Can't get over the goofy knives on the Aile - I was a knife maker and collector many moons ago!

I mean, I guess if lean is your think, Strike is definitely the leanest RG kit I've built so far. Like I said, though, I'm really more into the UC designs, and SEED/SEED Destiny are generally some of my least favorite designs. I'm just really into the RG line, and from that point of view, Strike's very good, but less so with the Aile Striker. I'm starting to seriously consider getting the Skygrasper, then displaying Strike as Sword Strike.

As for Exia... I don't know, when I ordered him, I was really excited to build him, but now I'm not as much. I think I might actually start the GP01 tomorrow. Oh, and I ordered Freedom and GP01fb, too, so that'll just leave Skygrasper and Char's Z'Gok before I've got them all. Depending on when they come, I might move Freedom up to the top of the list. What can I say... I've been rewatching SEED (yes, I still think it's the worst Gundam series, but bad Gundam still beats most other stuff). I've got about four episodes left, and I kind of want to build Freedom while the show is fresh in my mind. Justice probably gets to jump ahead in line for the same reason.

I also have a (red) Zaku kicking around, but I haven't been too keen to build it, although yours looks great. I imagine the mold has so many head options so that they could make command and/or Char version with the same mold. Regarding the hoses, I was apprehensive about using their assembly method because I felt it would make cleaning the sprue marks difficult. Did that have you much trouble? Also, how much of a bummer is it that they don't give you an extra drum for the rifle?

Well, the pieces pop out pretty easy. I can't say that they won't leave some marks, but if you're careful its not like you'll have thick lumps of plastic on the sides of the segments. It helps a little if you start from the furthest segment out and twist at little when you pop it out. Other than that, I don't really know what to tell you. I'm a fan of the Zaku series of mobile suits in general, and I wound up really liking the RG version. If you're not really into Zakus, though, its definitely a little different than building a Gundam. If it were up to be, we'd get RG versions of the Hizack and Zaku III, but something tells me not to hold my breath.

As for the rifle drum... Yeah, it'd have been cool if they'd have thrown it in, especially when Zeta and the Mk-II both come with extra packs for their rifles, and especially because the drum clips onto the Zaku's skirt. But I think it's a bigger disappointment that there's no place to store the Zaku's rifle, or that he doesn't come with a cracker that could be stored on the skirt armor.

*EDIT* Oh yeah, I almost forgot, can you elaborate on why you don't like Strike's knives? Is it the concept, or the execution? Because I can see how giving a mobile suit a couple of knives when everything else in that show is shooting energy beams galore is a little silly, but considering that it's in the show I rather like the execution on the model kit. Strike can grip them fairly well with the RG-style hands, and they store in the skirt armor much more snugly than Zeta's beam saber hilts.

Edited by mikeszekely

Oh, I don't dislike the knives on the Strike. They're sexy in a 1990s-style "tactical folder" kind of way. I just think having a pair of folding knives on a giant robot is goofy in the same way Labors carrying enormous revolvers and police batons is goofy. Goofy in the best way.

I approach most of the suits without any knowledge of the source material, so I'm often just going by what I like the look of. For a long time I had this crazy notion that Macross and Gundam were like matter and anti-matter, so as a fan of the former I completely avoided the latter (with the terrible exception of Wing - thanks Toonami!) I only cleared my head of that notion in the past couple of years, and I still haven't seen much. Original Movies (+Char's), WitP, 008th MS team, half of Stardust Memory (bailed), first two episodes of SEED (bailed), and Unicorn. Oh, and Builders Beginning / Build Fighters (crazy for those, go figure). That's it. I love some of it, but I have no great attachment to any suits except the GP01 (because Kawamori and the old toy I had) and the Ez8 (because I adored 08th MS team and I'm a real-life armor nut). So, yeah, most of what I choose to build just comes from what looks cool to me, and probably won't follow the same lines as a true fan. Likewise, the few modifications I make to the appearance might be blasphemous - I dunno.

Oh, I don't dislike the knives on the Strike. They're sexy in a 1990s-style "tactical folder" kind of way. I just think having a pair of folding knives on a giant robot is goofy in the same way Labors carrying enormous revolvers and police batons is goofy. Goofy in the best way.

I see. Yeah, that sounds about right. If giggling at the notion of Strike mugging my other models at knifepoint is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

I approach most of the suits without any knowledge of the source material, so I'm often just going by what I like the look of.

Once I started getting back into Gunpla (listen to me, talking about a few weeks ago as if it were years), that's one of the things that surprised me. I know Syd over at Gaijin Gunpla often mentions that he hasn't watched a particular show when he's building a kit from it. I think one of the neat things about Gunpla is how it can attract people who just like cool robots, and have never seen the show.

For a long time I had this crazy notion that Macross and Gundam were like matter and anti-matter, so as a fan of the former I completely avoided the latter (with the terrible exception of Wing - thanks Toonami!)

No, you're confusing Gundam with Robotech. :p

I only cleared my head of that notion in the past couple of years, and I still haven't seen much. Original Movies (+Char's), WitP, 008th MS team, half of Stardust Memory (bailed), first two episodes of SEED (bailed), and Unicorn. Oh, and Builders Beginning / Build Fighters (crazy for those, go figure). That's it. I love some of it, but I have no great attachment to any suits except the GP01 (because Kawamori and the old toy I had) and the Ez8 (because I adored 08th MS team and I'm a real-life armor nut). So, yeah, most of what I choose to build just comes from what looks cool to me, and probably won't follow the same lines as a true fan. Likewise, the few modifications I make to the appearance might be blasphemous - I dunno.

And, as someone who's seen basically all of Gundam (even G-Saviour... *shivers*), most of it more than once, and who actually prefers Gundam to even Macross *ducks for cover*, my tastes and how I chose to modify (or more accurately, not modify) my kits is undoubtedly shaped by that. But again, that's the beauty of Gunpla, how it can be different things to different people. After all, Sei's Star Build Strike surely wasn't a straight Strike build, right? I think it's awesome the way that people customize their kits, and some of the really talented modelers out there really blow me away with their work. I tend to go more for the straight builds, though, because to me I'm building a character in a show I love. Although, as my skills improve, maybe one day I'll buy a HGUC Zaku and some of the Build parts and make my own personal Zaku Custom...

Ok, now we're getting somewhere. Just need those chest vents, the accessories, and... I forget what else.

Won't be long now, then. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on it when it's done.

I started the GP01. Not much to say except that it's kind of irritating the way they direct you to build the intakes one way, then take them apart and flip them around to make the chest vents. I have no idea what Kawamori was thinking for the actual Gundam, and I don't care if it's not Core Fighter II accurate, but I'm leaving them in the chest vent position now.

I started the GP01. Not much to say except that it's kind of irritating the way they direct you to build the intakes one way, then take them apart and flip them around to make the chest vents. I have no idea what Kawamori was thinking for the actual Gundam, and I don't care if it's not Core Fighter II accurate, but I'm leaving them in the chest vent position now.

The flip-able intakes are just not worth the trouble. Mine are loose in either position; I really ought to just glue them in the Gundam configuration - it's such a tiny detail anyhow. Also, not sure if you caught this, but I discovered the hard way that the other yellow intake parts, which end up on the Gundam's back, are also loose, and not for any reason in their case. I strongly suggest a little glue on those.

The flip-able intakes are just not worth the trouble. Mine are loose in either position; I really ought to just glue them in the Gundam configuration - it's such a tiny detail anyhow. Also, not sure if you caught this, but I discovered the hard way that the other yellow intake parts, which end up on the Gundam's back, are also loose, and not for any reason in their case. I strongly suggest a little glue on those.

Really? They seem pretty secure.

The yellow parts are good and secure on the chest intakes, too, in Gundam configuration. Problem is, now the white part is loose on the side... enough to wiggle, but not enough to come off.

Another bummer... the joints in the inner frame of the left leg were really tight, so instead of moving, one of the moving parts came off above the knee. Some of the plastic nub that grips into the socket on the knee looks damaged, and it didn't want to go back together. I wound up trimming some of the damaged area, and putting a little glue on the nub, but GP01 might not have as dynamic a pose as some of the other kits.

Anyway, I should finish GP01 some time tomorrow. For a kick, I have a no-grade 1/144 GP01, one of the first models I ever painted (because without paint, the entire torso, shield, and both hands were blue, the entire head was white without even eye stickers, and all of his limb parts including all of his feet were white). He looks... well, not too bad considering how long ago it was and how terrible my painting skills are, but still really bad. It'll be fun to see them side by side.

All I can say is that one of my intake pieces escaped the backpack while I was moving the Gundam by car (wrapped up and in a box). I found it, put it back in (didn't have any glue at the time), and when I got it home, it had departed again for parts unknown. Kinda bummed, but you really can't notice it unless you're looking down on the figure.

As far as the chest intakes, I agree - it's not the yellow bits that are loose so much as the white parts that hold them in. But, for me, when one comes out, the other goes with it.

Oh, also the side-to-side waist joint on mine has become loose, and it tends to tilt in the direction of that massive shield.

I want to love the GP01 because I dig the design so much, and they worked dark magic getting all those gimmicks into it. But I feel like its handle-ability is too compromised by all the intricacy to make it fun to play with. It is a badass display piece, though. Looking forward to seeing yours!

P.S. GP01 is still the subject of my favorite (own) Gundam photo:

post-29037-0-54854500-1407384223_thumb.jpg

Did you paint that copper on the vernier in his shoulder armor? What paint did you use?

I know, I know, I keep saying I suck at it, but I have half a mind to replace all the copper foil stickers with that paint on all my RG kits. I guess the mirrored silver is harder to do with paint, though.

I paint all parts that I think are verniers or hot exhausts in regular Testors "Metal Copper" (RM11511-0611). It's a pain because I prefer acrylics and have to keep thinner around just for that one color, but I tried several other kinds of copper paint that didn't give results I was happy with. The metallic Sharpies also look really good and are easy to use, as long as they are in spots you won't touch - they rub off with moderate handling. Those come in a nice gold, silver, and copper.

I also just realized that I have the wrong sticker smack dab in the middle of my Mk. II's chest. That is supposed to be on his head vulcan! Ah well, it looks good to me. Gonna sleep on it and decide if I want to replace it.

Well, I finished my GP01. After my experience with Zeta, I was a little worried that the Core Fighter gimmick would negatively impact this kit, but I gotta say it came together really well at the end.

post-187-0-42375200-1407439139_thumb.jpg

If I have a complaint about this kit, it'd be the lack of stickers. The sticker sheet seems quite a bit smaller than all of the other RG kits I've built, and it's weird because there are spots where some color is actually needed. Specifically, the knobs on the top of the shoulder armor should be yellow/gold, and there should be gold triangles on the rounded raised sections on the front of the skirt armor. Curiously, there's a hole in the white part that shows the blackish part underneath that's sort of triangular with the corners cut off... it makes wonder why they didn't just put little triangles on the A runner that could have fit into the front of the skirt through the hole before you clip it to the back. I'm tempted to look into those metallic Sharpies... is the gold more yellow or brownish?

Also, aside from the front of the left shoulder, the shoulder armor is pretty bare. I'd have liked an Albion marking or even an EFSF marking for the right shoulder.

Still, at the end of it all the GP01 still looks pretty fantastic. I'm not as big a fan of the Kawamori-designed Gundams as some people are (I know, blasphemy on a Macross board) and didn't have very high expectations, but as of right now I'd rank it just behind the Zaku as the third-best RG kit. And, minor complaints about the appearance aside, it's not hard to tell which is the Real Grade and which is the no-grade, is it?

post-187-0-70163100-1407439148_thumb.jpg

Not being intimately familiar with the source material, I didn't notice the missing colors on the GP01. It does seem to have relatively few markings, though. I do find mine looks a lot more cartoonish than the other RGs that I have.

I think that your comparison shot bears out what you were saying about the look of RGs. It doesn't need the panel lines marked in order to look much more complex and interesting than the High Grade - the intricate construction and fine detail are enough.

As far as the Sharpies go, I would say it's a more yellowish gold. All three colors cover in one pass and produce a more realistic metal look than most paints I've used (which often look more like metal flake). As long as you aren't handling the part, they do a great job. And they're cheap!

This weekend I'm hoping to finish my FA Unicorn Awakening, and begin prepping a completely customized MS for a friend of mine who has been begging me to make her a Mobile Suit.

I thought to counter my Hi-Nu ver Kai I'd make her a Sazabi version kai using the Miss Sazabi retool from BF and add some additional flare.

This will be a big revamp as I'll be purchasing the extra posable hands, probably going the MG rate since this kit is about 1/100 scale for a 1/144, a completely different weapons package since the BF version focuses on melee combat and will be changed to a multirange New type combat unit using a duel bit funnel shield system, one will be of course attached to the forearm while the other will be used as skirt armor for the rear.

The backpack I haven't decided on yet on what it'll be...this is a tough one due to the scale of the suit being so damn large! So I'm completely open to suggestions.

As far as the Sharpies go, I would say it's a more yellowish gold. All three colors cover in one pass and produce a more realistic metal look than most paints I've used (which often look more like metal flake). As long as you aren't handling the part, they do a great job. And they're cheap!

Is it possible to brush a coat of FFP over a part that's been painted over with a Sharpie? I've heard that FFP doesn't work with Gundam markers, and will dissolve it if you tried to clear coat FFP over them. Does this happen with Sharpies, too?

Is it possible to brush a coat of FFP over a part that's been painted over with a Sharpie? I've heard that FFP doesn't work with Gundam markers, and will dissolve it if you tried to clear coat FFP over them. Does this happen with Sharpies, too?

Funny, I use Future over Gundam markers all the time, and I haven't had any trouble with it. I only use the markers on small details, though.

As far as FFP over the Sharpies, I have tried that extensively, hoping it would stop them from rubbing off. Simply put, it doesn't. I try to imagine what is happening, and my guess is that the Sharpie doesn't adhere as strongly to the underlying plastic as most paints do. With that weak "foundation," no amount of Future on top seems to make a big difference. The Future doesn't interact with the Sharpies in any negative way, though, so if you want to do it just for the shine or a to make a good surface for washes/decals, go for it.

I don't want to make it sound like the metallic Sharpies aren't drying/adhering to the surface. They are - they just aren't as sturdy as paints and, in my experience, they will rub off with handling.

This weekend I'm hoping to finish my FA Unicorn Awakening, and begin prepping a completely customized MS for a friend of mine who has been begging me to make her a Mobile Suit.

I thought to counter my Hi-Nu ver Kai I'd make her a Sazabi version kai using the Miss Sazabi retool from BF and add some additional flare.

This will be a big revamp as I'll be purchasing the extra posable hands, probably going the MG rate since this kit is about 1/100 scale for a 1/144, a completely different weapons package since the BF version focuses on melee combat and will be changed to a multirange New type combat unit using a duel bit funnel shield system, one will be of course attached to the forearm while the other will be used as skirt armor for the rear.

The backpack I haven't decided on yet on what it'll be...this is a tough one due to the scale of the suit being so damn large! So I'm completely open to suggestions.

I really want to see how that comes together! Love Aila, love Miss Sazabi, and love mobile suits as gifts!

That sounds intimidating. But I might like to try my hand at customizing, one day. Maybe start with a Shin Matsunaga Zaku, and beef it up as my personal OYW MS.

Funny, I use Future over Gundam markers all the time, and I haven't had any trouble with it. I only use the markers on small details, though.

As far as FFP over the Sharpies, I have tried that extensively, hoping it would stop them from rubbing off. Simply put, it doesn't. I try to imagine what is happening, and my guess is that the Sharpie doesn't adhere as strongly to the underlying plastic as most paints do. With that weak "foundation," no amount of Future on top seems to make a big difference. The Future doesn't interact with the Sharpies in any negative way, though, so if you want to do it just for the shine or a to make a good surface for washes/decals, go for it.

I don't want to make it sound like the metallic Sharpies aren't drying/adhering to the surface. They are - they just aren't as sturdy as paints and, in my experience, they will rub off with handling.

Thanks for explaining, Nekko!

I wonder if lightly sanding the area of priming it might help with better adhesion. I almost always flat coat my Gundam kits, so touching up after flat coating might help with the adhesion.

Do you think that might work?

Thanks for explaining, Nekko!

I wonder if lightly sanding the area of priming it might help with better adhesion. I almost always flat coat my Gundam kits, so touching up after flat coating might help with the adhesion.

Do you think that might work?

That I have not tried. It might work!

By all means, even regarding the FFP, don't take my word for it - experiment and let me know if you find anything that works well. I was so excited (and surprised) when I discovered the Sharpies and what a believable metal finish they produced, but it broke my heart when I began to see them come off of areas I handled (like the backpack verniers, which you touch prettymuch anytime you pick up a gundam - and those are sometimes ABS, too, so they take paint especially badly). I still use them, but I just have to think carefully about whether the part will be handled or not.