Interesting tip there, although I'm still uncertain why a black base would have better results. I'd figure maybe spray paint all black then mask the parts you want to keep black and then go at it with the gold spray paint. Btw who sells gold spray paint that sticks well?

black under metallic paints make them pop more, a white or light gray base tends to make metallic paints look washed out and lifeless.

I'm not sure about who has good gold paint off hand, sorry. As for masking the parts you want to keep black, that's what I did on mine and it was a pain in the ass to properly mask some of the tight corners. when it was all done I felt like the extra coat of paint would have been worth it to make the masking job easier.

From Shizuoka Hobby Show 2010:

MG The O :o

I've waited years for a MG The-O, its about time, I've always had a space on my shelf reserved in the hopes that they bring one out, now its coming true, i'm so happy. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

finally done.

4611319848_10fc68e422_b.jpg

That kit look gorgeous, gonna get me one of those next month. The best way to paint the gold trim is to first paint all the black parts gold, let it dry. Then apply a black paint coat over the gold painted pieces. When it dries up. Take a cotton swap with some thinner and remove the black coat over the gold trim areas and the under layer of gold paint will show on the plated areas. So far that is the best and safest way I hear to paint the gold trim areas.

But that's not the point, as The O is a MG kit, and it's the price of 3-5 MG kits.

but to be fair, The O is a hell of a lot more robot than an MS that costs 1/3 to 1/5 the price in MG form.

the Sazabi is 2/3 the list price of The O and the Sazabi is smaller and 10 years older.

12600 yen is a lot of money but not an unreasonable price tag.

I'm definitely getting this once it's out, and in the mean time I'll need to pick up a Zeta 2.0 and Hyaku shiki... but now I'm sad because I accidentally killed my MG Qubeley. :(

Now that I think about it the lack of love for the Qubeley is disheartening, it didn't even get a f'ing clear parts reissue.

damnit Bandai, Hyaku Shiki 2.0 and Qubeley 2.0; make it happen :angry:

Edited by anime52k8

To some, 12600 Yen may be "reasonable" for a MG The-O, given its sheer size alone... I can definitely understand the justifications and/or rationalizations for the sentiment. Personally, I just tend to choke on my own spit anytime any plastic model kit heads north of $60.00, with some minor allowances, regardless of subject. It just rubs me the wrong way, but I sure would like to get one at some point if/when an opportunity presents itself.

Just got the HG Gundam 00 1/144 0 Gundam and Gundam Exia Repair II and I must say that I'm very impressed. The 0 Gundam may have very minimal accessories, but its level of articulation is insane and its simple design is a perfect homage to the old RX-78-2. I have to say that it's easily the best 1/144 kit I've assembled.

On the other hand, I'm a little disappointed by the Gundam Exia Repair II. Lots of very loose parts and one of the clear lenses will not fasten into the left leg. It's also a drag to see that half of the box contents remain unused, as they're of the regular Exia model.

Now to get a couple of Action Bases to replicate the final episode...

Question about Bandai decals:

generally speaking, how well do the dry transfer decals on gunpla hold up. can they survive general handling, and will they ever start flaking off just because they're old?

I'm thinking about clear-coating my Sinanju to protect all the little markings, although I'm not sure how worth it that's going to be.

also what's a good clear coat to go over dry transfer decals? I'm looking for a mate to satin finish that will be fairly hard and not mess up the decals underneath. I've got Testors Dullcote and Future with Tamiya Flat base (I've yet to actually use it though.)

will either of these work, or do I need to go out and get something else?

Question about Bandai decals:

generally speaking, how well do the dry transfer decals on gunpla hold up. can they survive general handling, and will they ever start flaking off just because they're old?

I'm thinking about clear-coating my Sinanju to protect all the little markings, although I'm not sure how worth it that's going to be.

also what's a good clear coat to go over dry transfer decals? I'm looking for a mate to satin finish that will be fairly hard and not mess up the decals underneath. I've got Testors Dullcote and Future with Tamiya Flat base (I've yet to actually use it though.)

will either of these work, or do I need to go out and get something else?

The dry transfer decals hold up fine if you clear coat it. If you do not spray any kind of coating, the markings will easily rub off with the slightest handling.

Testors Dullcote works well. I use the spray can version and it's my preferred clear coat. However, Testors Dullcote is lacquer based so it's not recommended if you've painted your kit with acrylic paint.

While looking for review for a HGUC 1/144 Dendrobium review as I am leaning to getting one i found this

holly cow

and this

seems better than the recent bandai release bust figure

"We have decided to produce a 1/72 character from the Unicorn series. Stay tuned."

This was just posted on G System Shop's site by the staff.

I am pretty excited! Just looking at the already - made 1/72 Sinanju gives me hope that this will

be another awesome kit.

Any thoughts on what the mobile suit might be? I am thinking stark jegan because other mobile suits like

the Re-ZEL, or unicorn itself, would be difficult to translate into resin.

-Archer

I'd love to find the person that designed the 00-Raiser PG, and ask him just what the frak he was smoking when he decided that pressure-clutches in the joints would be a good idea!

ARGH!!!!

i think i and others have been saying that all along. why did you get it an mg is on the way

After rrobbert 184 of gundam.tk reviewed the new 1/100 MG Wing Gundam, he decided to see if the old HG kit could fly in Bird Mode.

fun. :D I'm looking forward to wing Zero even more

i think i and others have been saying that all along. why did you get it an mg is on the way

First off, I wanted the challenge. A challenge, I might say, that hasn't beaten me, yet. All I have to do is find the solution, which might be to just remove the springs from the clutch-packs.

Secondly, I wanted the light-up stuff. B))

Finally done (again)....

4651752648_460bcce137.jpg

4651751778_e42f3dd765_b.jpg

except not really. I do think it looks much nicer with the flat clear coat. I think I'm going to go back and redo the gold details (they're starting to chip... :(

I was undusting my old models today and decided to snap a few shots of this old kitbash. I built it about a year ago, but it was never completely finished as I lost a few runners during a move. The base kit is a GM-Kai, with assorted body parts from a number of other failed/abandoned kits, and the AKO GM Spartan kit. I will definitely build a "proper" Spartan sometime later this year.

post-9883-127531810029_thumb.jpg

post-9883-127531810611_thumb.jpg

post-9883-127531811179_thumb.jpg

Speaking of kitbashes...I dug this old guy out and am thinking of finally finishing him. He obviously needs painting, and lining, and decaling, but even if this rough state I think the kit bash went pretty good, by my own standards at least.

HGUC Zaku III + Zeku Eins (with extra calf boosters, modified backpack, altered gun, and various other small mods to make the mating work)

post-659-127537868632_thumb.jpg

Upcoming Gunpla details (Ngee Khiong)

MG Gundam Deathscythe EW

- New type of XXX-G Frame derived from Wing Gundam to be used, which will eventually be shared by the 4 non-transformable Gundam Wing MSs - Gundam Deathscythe, Shenlong Gundam, Gundam Heavyarms and Gundam Sandrock.

- Snap mechanism incorporated for the hand unit to hold the weapon firmly.

- Beam effect part included for the claw deployment of the Buster Shield.

- Beam scythe can be mounted onto the backpack.

- Weapons and accessories: beam scythe, Buster Shield, beam part for Buster Shield.

- 15 runners in total. Comes with marking seal and Gundam Decal (designed by Hajime Katoki-sensei).

- September release, 3,990 Yen (inclusive of tax).

So more ver. Ka Gundams from Wing?

At first I thought that the "EW" stood for Endless Waltz but they mention parts for the Buster Shield, which the EW Deathscythe does not have.

So maybe it's just a regular Gundam Wing Deathscythe

Maybe. Happinet Online (linky) has it listed as Deathscythe EW. What that "EW" means, I have no clue. I threw out the ver. Ka because I don't recall the TV series Deathscythe mounting the beam scythe being mounted on the backpack, but on the back skirt. It could be the TV version but what's with that "EW"? Are they trying to distinguish it from something?