• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, Darth Mingus said:

Nice finish.  What do you think of the kit?

I think its pretty good, not as hefty as a MG but I actually like that it doesn't have 100 pieces that make up a frame that I will never see. Saved up a lot of time painting because of that. My only complaints are that there are no closed fists hands and the material that makes the hoses is made up of this rubber band like material. Sucks to sand it and sucks to paint it. I didn't even bother with it aside from panel lining. 

13 minutes ago, General Rasp said:

The kit turned out great! Love the heat hawk blade, looks excellent!

Thanks! Im glad they included two blade options. 

46 minutes ago, anubis20 said:

I think its pretty good, not as hefty as a MG but I actually like that it doesn't have 100 pieces that make up a frame that I will never see. Saved up a lot of time painting because of that. My only complaints are that there are no closed fists hands and the material that makes the hoses is made up of this rubber band like material. Sucks to sand it and sucks to paint it. I didn't even bother with it aside from panel lining. 

Thanks! Im glad they included two blade options. 

Have you had problems with lacquer paint sticking to your needle when you are spraying? I have recently been testing out lacquer paints with my airbrush and it seems like my primer is coating my needle and it needs a lot of cleaning after use. I am using a Patriot 105 with a .50 or .30 needle. And the primer should be 1:1.5 dilution with thinner. 

Just wondering if that is normal. 

2 hours ago, General Rasp said:

Have you had problems with lacquer paint sticking to your needle when you are spraying? I have recently been testing out lacquer paints with my airbrush and it seems like my primer is coating my needle and it needs a lot of cleaning after use. I am using a Patriot 105 with a .50 or .30 needle. And the primer should be 1:1.5 dilution with thinner. 

Just wondering if that is normal. 

Sometimes I do have that issue, but i haven't deep cleaned my airbrushes in some time so that might be part of the problem. After long painting sessions i do take the needle out to clean it prevent this issue. To clean the paint cup I use Mr. Tool Cleaner which is very good at flushing most of the paint out between color changes and when I'm done for the day. 

4 hours ago, anubis20 said:

RE/100 Zaku II FZ complete! :)

RE/100 Zaku II FZ

RE/100 Zaku II FZ RE/100 Zaku II FZ RE/100 Zaku II FZ RE/100 Zaku II FZ RE/100 Zaku II FZ

Both of them look really nice! Now it's time for a nice diorama(like the one you get combining the two boxes). I built my Zaku II too and now i am about to finish the Alex. Can i ask you some advice for the Heat hawk? What colour did you use to make the orange so vibrant? It really looks like it's "heated".

Man i wish i could do dioramas and battle damaged kits. I would definitely make one of the final moment between these two :cray:

So the heat hawk took some trial and error but basically this is how it went. 

1. silver base coat

2. shade only the edges in gold, leaving as much as possible of the silver in the center. 

3. spray clear orange all over the piece. This is where things got complicated. The gold edges did not give the effect I was looking for, the whole thing looked orange. I tried heavier coats of orange on the edges and it didn't really make a difference.

4. so the next step was to spray clear red on the edges and gradually put heavier and heavier clear red coats on the edges. Then i gave the entire piece a light misting with clear red. 

what i learned from this is that I could've probably skipped the shading with the gold and it would've given me the same result. 

Very impressive work, and congratulations on the quick finish! And you really nailed the color palette. I suppose the decals are third party again?

With the RE/100 hands, there's room for improvement, but the weapon fist and the open hand don't seem to look too bad.

5 minutes ago, Darth Mingus said:

Do you think the RE100 line will work with the Gundam Builders hands:

https://www.hlj.com/1-100-scale-builders-parts-ms-hand-02-zeon-metallic-color-bann11167

I got the 1/144 set for my Advance of Zeta HG kits.

Which size in 1/144 did you get for Advance of Zeta? Small, Medium, Large?

18 hours ago, anubis20 said:

Man i wish i could do dioramas and battle damaged kits. I would definitely make one of the final moment between these two :cray:

So the heat hawk took some trial and error but basically this is how it went. 

1. silver base coat

2. shade only the edges in gold, leaving as much as possible of the silver in the center. 

3. spray clear orange all over the piece. This is where things got complicated. The gold edges did not give the effect I was looking for, the whole thing looked orange. I tried heavier coats of orange on the edges and it didn't really make a difference.

4. so the next step was to spray clear red on the edges and gradually put heavier and heavier clear red coats on the edges. Then i gave the entire piece a light misting with clear red. 

what i learned from this is that I could've probably skipped the shading with the gold and it would've given me the same result. 

Thanks for the tutorial, it seems to be a bit out of my league but i will give it a try as soon as i can get my hands on some paints. May i ask you what brand did you use?

2 hours ago, Ryoma said:

Thanks for the tutorial, it seems to be a bit out of my league but i will give it a try as soon as i can get my hands on some paints. May i ask you what brand did you use?

All of them were Mr Color paints. Clear ones were regular Mr Color, and the metallic paints were Mr Color Super Metallic. 

On 3/22/2020 at 8:41 PM, lechuck said:

Gundam F90 II arriving in July (P-Bandai release).

https://www.taghobby.com/archives/442981

hj0501.jpg

Pre-ordered the F90 II MG a couple of days ago already.

I'm a huge fan of the F90 design. The original 1/100 scale non-grade F90 A/D/S kit was the first Gunpla I ever bought and built, way back in 1990 or 1991.

I love the mangas as well, both the original and the currently running F90FF manga.

I've got 3 of the F90 MG (built 2 so far) and all the mission packs so far released (S/E/M/F). The F90 MG is an absolutely rock solid kit.

Really looking forward to the F90 II MG.