Just now, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

I would love to see how they get that thing to move.

When they mentioned that 'moving' project years ago, I thought they were aiming for something like movement standing from the trailer.

On 1/20/2020 at 10:10 PM, anime52k8 said:

I really like Tamiya spray lacquer but I still use it through an airbrush. (or I did when I was still building models).

One down side to spray cans is it is less efficient than airbrushing so there's a lot of "wasted" paint especially with small parts. Tamiya just released a line of bottled lacquer in all the spray can colors. 

4 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Now the only problem is my double-funnel kit won't match.

That is the question.

Bandai didn't release its double fin funnels set for the MG Nu Titanium Finish years ago thru P-Bandai, right?

50 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

That is the question.

Bandai didn't release its double fin funnels set for the MG Nu Titanium Finish years ago thru P-Bandai, right?

I don't think so.

I might just get it, and have the 6 plated ones mounted and the normal 6 posed around it. Less obvious that way.

On 1/21/2020 at 5:55 AM, electric indigo said:

Just regular Tamiya acrylics - light blue, flat white + gloss white in a 1:4:4 mix. I find it easier to maintain a (semi-)glossy surface from start to finish. 

25099045752_f6afbaedef_c.jpg

Do you use acrylics for the inner frame as well? I use Vallejo Acrylics and from my experience the paints pretty fragile and always scraps off on movable parts of the inner frame. I keep hearing lacquers are really the only paints tough enough for articulated parts. But they kinda scare me cause I hear they eat plastic and of course are highly toxic.

On 1/25/2020 at 1:56 PM, GobotFool said:

Do you use acrylics for the inner frame as well? I use Vallejo Acrylics and from my experience the paints pretty fragile and always scraps off on movable parts of the inner frame. I keep hearing lacquers are really the only paints tough enough for articulated parts. But they kinda scare me cause I hear they eat plastic and of course are highly toxic.

I don't pose the kits that much and just touch up any scratches I discover after the final assembly. In critical places, you can also sand away some material to give the parts more clearance.

4 hours ago, electric indigo said:

I don't pose the kits that much and just touch up any scratches I discover after the final assembly. In critical places, you can also sand away some material to give the parts more clearance.

This is what a lot of Marvel Legends customizers do at the joints to prevent paint rub.  It does sometimes mean you end up loosening joints though.

My god the MG FAZZ is a beast! Can't wait to get it in hand!

Bandai did a really great job with the engineering. It is stable, functional (for a FA unit) and looks amazing. And I didn't notice any seam lines, or they weren't noticeable in the the video. Have to step up my progress with painting my MG Barbatos to make room for the FAZZ. 

Sigh... I'd love to get the G04, G05, and the Mudrock. Come the blip on, Bandai. They're all using brand new tooling. You've had more obscure kits see wider release. What the fudgesicle. At least with the former two, I may as well get the MGs for pretty much the same price...

FAZZ looks alright, I guess.

Edited by kajnrig

For anyone worried about lacquer painting, test it first on the runner and make sure you have protection. A breathing mask with filters and a simple set of goggles don’t cost that much. And if you’re inside there are some cheap paint booths with lighting and simple filtration set ups. The only issue for me is the paint cost is a bit higher than other alternatives. But they go on so smooth and dry really fast and are really tough.

I’ve used acrylic and enamel paints in the past and really only use them now for small details. But I’ve actually been hearing about some people brush painting the small details with lacquers using a retarder to allow for self leveling. There are so many tricks I wanna try when I get my painting space in the garage set up.

On 1/24/2020 at 1:36 AM, badboy00z said:

One down side to spray cans is it is less efficient than airbrushing so there's a lot of "wasted" paint especially with small parts. Tamiya just released a line of bottled lacquer in all the spray can colors. 

One way around that is to decant the spray can, then use the paints for airbrushing, that what i do when they only have that colour in spray can

On 1/28/2020 at 10:09 AM, General Rasp said:

My god the MG FAZZ is a beast! Can't wait to get it in hand!

Bandai did a really great job with the engineering. It is stable, functional (for a FA unit) and looks amazing. And I didn't notice any seam lines, or they weren't noticeable in the the video. Have to step up my progress with painting my MG Barbatos to make room for the FAZZ. 

I've never understood what was attached to it's forearm though.

18 minutes ago, Mommar said:

I've never understood what was attached to it's forearm though.

The double beam rifle that the ZZ Gundam uses. The FAZZ is based off the ZZ Gundam with the omission of the transformation and mega canon in the head. 

what is it?

Honestly, I don’t know if they messed up the messer legs at all. The preview I saw only shows the upper body. They’re probably a redesign for the anime. It’s kind of between the original design and the updated design. So I guess this would be a third redesign. Although I do prefer the wider legs on the second version. Who knows it wouldn’t take much for Bandai to milk this and give the other version as a web exclusive.

As far as the wodom, I’ll wait for the turn A  version. Seriously never thought that that design would ever get made into a non resin kit. I’m not even sure if there was a resin kit.

What are the two design revisions? A quick wikia shows a novel design

latest?cb=20101208092343

...and a SD Gundam G Generation design?

latest?cb=20150123081842

Either way, the kit doesn't look like either. Before seeing the artwork, my impression was the kit looked pretty cool, but compared to what it could have been... huh. It's definitely hewing closer to the SD design, but it's still so different. Is the SD artwork a chibi-fied version? Or is it supposed to be the non-deformed design?

The kit doesn't look bad, but it's certainly more... generic? common? expected? The silhouette of the head and shoulders makes me think of the Jagd Doga, but the proportions overall and the legs brings to mind the... Zaku Kai? Maybe. I dunno. Bizarre design choices...

Sorry I miss spoke. This hg kit would be the second redesign, or third design overall. The sd versions of Hathaway’s flash had a redesign that the sd versions were based on. This one is closer to the sd redesign but with some similarities to the original and a bit of the recent Gustav Karl mixed in. I haven’t seen the full mobile suit redesign for the anime, but I’m guessing this hg will be what’s animated.  I’m hoping they do a version in the near future with the sd style legs though, even if it’s a web exclusive.

I think that garage kit needs a sandwich or two. But I do agree on the legs. Looking at the design of the hg I think the could get away wit changing just the sidings and maybe the front piece of the lower legs. And to be honest I expect that to happen as either a web exclusive or build fighter or something similar. I would also expect a garage kit company would do a simple conversion Incase that doesn’t happen.