Had a good time starting the build on the RG Sazabi yesterday.

Got the legs and the torso finished so far.

My only complaints are:

1) Some of the tiny silver stickers that go on the inner frame are a pain in the ass to get off the sticker sheet and even using a par of tweezers and a craft knife, it's not easy and I ended up damaging or losing a few. The ends of some of the stickers got folded over accidently while I was trying to apply them and I couldn't unfold them, so ended up just not applying some of them

2) The front skirt armour, especially the right side front skirt doesn't attached that securely and can get knocked off quite easy when you are handling and posing the kit.

Still, it's a great looking kit and the articulation on the legs is amazing.

7 hours ago, Alto-23 said:

Man I’m barely just painting my kits with Gundam markers. Clean up with tooth picks and alcohol. What set up do you guys use? Looks amazing

Hello Alto,

I got into Gunpla about 2 1/2 years ago and started painting with rattle cans.  I've since moved onto airbrushing as I feel it gives the best results.  It was intimidating to learn  at first, but like anything, the more you immerse your self into it, the easier it becomes.  You can get some really awesome looking kits no matter if you are hand brushing, air brushing or just panel lining and doing washes.  There are a lot of really great modellers you can follow on YouTube that post really informative tips/tricks and tutorials.  The models thread also has a lot of really talented artists who are eager to share their knowledge.  It's a great place to start.

1 hour ago, Graham said:

Had a good time starting the build on the RG Sazabi yesterday.

Got the legs and the torso finished so far.

My only complaints are:

1) Some of the tiny silver stickers that go on the inner frame are a pain in the ass to get off the sticker sheet and even using a par of tweezers and a craft knife, it's not easy and I ended up damaging or losing a few. The ends of some of the stickers got folded over accidently while I was trying to apply them and I couldn't unfold them, so ended up just not applying some of them

2) The front skirt armour, especially the right side front skirt doesn't attached that securely and can get knocked off quite easy when you are handling and posing the kit.

Still, it's a great looking kit and the articulation on the legs is amazing.

If you want to skip the silver stickers entirely, I use Molotow Liquid Chrome paint pens instead. Same mirror chrome shine/finish, but you can paint it directly on the surface and then do clean-up like any other paint pen. Downsides are it takes a while to dry fully, and it'll loose the mirror shine if you touch it too much directly. It's great for the little recessed bits of chrome though.

I like those markers a lot. They look great especially if you just do a small area and use a clear color over them. I use them mostly for camera lenses and a drop of tamiya clear color paint over the top. If you mix yellow and a bit of orange it looks like a chrome gold. I hear they airbrush well, but haven’t tried that yet. Seriously they look like bright chrome and look better than alclad. I hear aqua clear is a good top coat for just keeping it chrome, but that’s another thing I haven’t tried yet.

On 7/14/2019 at 10:00 PM, Golden Arms said:

Hello Alto,

I got into Gunpla about 2 1/2 years ago and started painting with rattle cans.  I've since moved onto airbrushing as I feel it gives the best results.  It was intimidating to learn  at first, but like anything, the more you immerse your self into it, the easier it becomes.  You can get some really awesome looking kits no matter if you are hand brushing, air brushing or just panel lining and doing washes.  There are a lot of really great modellers you can follow on YouTube that post really informative tips/tricks and tutorials.  The models thread also has a lot of really talented artists who are eager to share their knowledge.  It's a great place to start.

Thank you. Just bought a HGUC Full Armor 7th and I’ll be trying regular Gundam markers until I’m more confident 

32 minutes ago, Mommar said:

I've always liked Heavy Arms.  No idea where this version of it comes from though.

It's from the Glory of the Losers story. The first one that was release (from the said story) is the MG Shenlong Liaoya. Hopefully Bandai also release soon the equipment for Deathsctyhe and Sandrock. It would be a shame if they don't

50 minutes ago, Mommar said:

I've always liked Heavy Arms.  No idea where this version of it comes from though.

It from the Manga Glory of the Users. I forgot if it is a retelling or not but there was a portion of it where they show the dominance of their gundams and all of the main suit has stuff that augments their units

55 minutes ago, Mommar said:

HeavyArms (EW design) with Igel Armament featured in The Glory of Losers.

It's a cool looking HeavyArms. ;)

1305337404680.thumb.jpg.edde1576f9cd538a9371b02109fe98dd.jpg

59 minutes ago, Mommar said:

All of these suits are based on their original appearances and not their many upgrades, huh?

Most of the suits featured in the manga are using the EW design and not the ones from the series.

Edited by no3Ljm

IIRC, the Tallgeese, Epyon, and Wing Zero are all technically "EW" designs that just so happen to be exactly or nearly the same as their original TV designs. The "EW" TG has some extra color that wasn't present on the TV version, but it's essentially the same design. The "EW" Epyon looks generally similar to its TV design, but there are subtle changes throughout. And the TV Wing Zero gets a similar makeover AND is re-christened the Wing Proto Zero to differentiate it from the EW Wing Zero with its angel wings and blue-centric color scheme.

This is all IIRC, of course, since I haven't read the manga.

Most of the suit redesigns/extra equipment from the manga were to bridge the gap between the TV designs and EW designs. I believe the current volume has all of the EW designs fighting during the Libra battle. So happy they are releasing the Igel equipment and hopefully Bluefin will have some pre-orders up. Need to pick the P-Bandai Shenlong now. 

23 minutes ago, General Rasp said:

Most of the suit redesigns/extra equipment from the manga were to bridge the gap between the TV designs and EW designs. I believe the current volume has all of the EW designs fighting during the Libra battle. So happy they are releasing the Igel equipment and hopefully Bluefin will have some pre-orders up. Need to pick the P-Bandai Shenlong now. 

I’m saw that link to Shenlong and wondered how that filled a gap with the giant sword.  Especially given it already had an upgrade in the original series that already bridged the gap to the EW version.

1 minute ago, Mommar said:

I’m saw that link to Shenlong and wondered how that filled a gap with the giant sword.  Especially given it already had an upgrade in the original series that already bridged the gap to the EW version.

I think that was mostly a redesign and whoever taking creative liberties. IIRC, the dragon fang is closer the EW version. 

2 hours ago, General Rasp said:

I think that was mostly a redesign and whoever taking creative liberties. IIRC, the dragon fang is closer the EW version. 

I guess because it's flatter.  Too bad it doesn't shoot out very far like the old one though.  The extendable arms were cool, if unwieldy on a model.

6 hours ago, hachi said:

To anyone who got the new MG Alex, will it fit neatly into a 30kg suitcase? I'm thinking of buying in Japan if ever I get some funds for a trip next year. (Assuming it's still available of course.)

‘Balikbayan Box’ it, my dear good sir. ;) 

16 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

Cut the parts off the runners into bags, and you'll save over half the weight and space (unless you decide to keep the box).

I'm sure he can still keep the box. Just need to flatten it. ;)

On 7/21/2019 at 3:40 AM, no3Ljm said:

‘Balikbayan Box’ it, my dear good sir. ;) 

Eh but I want to take it with to save on shipping costs :p

On 7/21/2019 at 1:18 PM, kajnrig said:

Cut the parts off the runners into bags, and you'll save over half the weight and space (unless you decide to keep the box).

Rearranging the contents and flattening the box is a good idea, I'll keep this in mind.

On 7/21/2019 at 1:08 PM, Big s said:

I have the Alex, and fitting that box may be tough. It’s a fairly good sized box, but not the biggest.

Ok, thanks for the info! I think it's the only big kit I really want to buy in Japan. (for now..)

On 7/21/2019 at 1:58 PM, Lolicon said:

Is all that easier than just ordering from an online shop and having them ship it? :blink:

The last time I was in Japan my luggage was smaller--the stuff I bought wasn't that heavy but took up a lot of space. So I bought bigger check-in luggage and of course I'd look to fit in the biggest kit I can lol

I just got an email from HLJ saying that they cancelled my order for the upcoming release of the RE/100 Zaku II FZ. Do you guys have any suggestion about other websites where i can still find one(possibly not ebay)? Thank you.

On 7/22/2019 at 7:26 AM, Ryoma said:

I just got an email from HLJ saying that they cancelled my order for the upcoming release of the RE/100 Zaku II FZ. Do you guys have any suggestion about other websites where i can still find one(possibly not ebay)? Thank you.

Depends where you live.  Big Bad Toy Store still has their pre-order listed. It’s usually an extra months wait for imports from them though.

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/89859

How many people actually ordered that set, and how many will actually build them all?  I got one, built it, and am happy.  Sure I'd love to have one or two of the custom ones, but not so much that I'll buy a few dozen extras just for them...