Was hoping that new PG would be something more interesting, something that makes me want build another kit of that size and complexity again. Oh well, means I can just stash the cash I might of spent for when something more exciting comes along.

Should we expect the /G as a P-Bandai release, then?

Also, it seems to me that between the 7S and 7S/G, people seem to prefer the 7S, or at least it is more... "prominent" in the merchandise than the 7S/G? I would think the latter would be the more marketed since it's exactly the same as the former BUT WITH MORE, but why is that apparently not the case?

I'd have preferred a Quanta, but I haven't built a single PG outside of the Eva-01 anyway. Couldn't they just mix and match frame parts from both the Exia and 00 for it?

For fun I build the RG RX-187 Gundam Mk-II and it is probably my favorite RG kit to date. I really like that they went overboard with the stickers since I like if a Gundam has all the little text labels and stuff (that's why I love building the Version Ka. MG kits) I wish it had waterslide decals instead of the stickers but otherwise it was a very enjoyable build. Loved the color separation on the parts as well as the tubing used in the legs and the backpack.

This leaves me with the question why it is so good. The reason why I'm asking is that I have not watched much Gundam and the PG version of the RX-178 was recommended to me as one of the best PG kits out there.

So does this suit have any historical significance, is it especially loved by fans or any other reason why kits of this design come out so well?

1 hour ago, Scyla said:

For fun I build the RG RX-187 Gundam Mk-II and it is probably my favorite RG kit to date. I really like that they went overboard with the stickers since I like if a Gundam has all the little text labels and stuff (that's why I love building the Version Ka. MG kits) I wish it had waterslide decals instead of the stickers but otherwise it was a very enjoyable build. Loved the color separation on the parts as well as the tubing used in the legs and the backpack.

This leaves me with the question why it is so good. The reason why I'm asking is that I have not watched much Gundam and the PG version of the RX-178 was recommended to me as one of the best PG kits out there.

So does this suit have any historical significance, is it especially loved by fans or any other reason why kits of this design come out so well?

Mainly it's just regarded as a good RG kit because it's well engineered. No idea about the PG, but most of those (aside from Wing Zero) tend to be pretty good.

As for the waterslides, there are official Bandai waterslides available for the kit.

1 hour ago, Scyla said:

This leaves me with the question why it is so good.

A lot of the love the design in general receives apparently comes from it being the star of Gundam Zeta for a good length of the show before the Zeta shows up. It maybe takes part in some of the more dramatic scenes of the show as well.

I'd imagine that the engineers and kit designers themselves are fans of it, too, so all of that means it tends to get a higher design/marketing budget similar to the granddaddy Gundam or any "first issue" of a new line, etc.

Its PG kit is widely considered among the best of the PG line, especially for the level of detail of the inner frame. I've heard complaints about the Granddaddy Gundam and Zeta before it, and about the Strikes and Astrays after it, but never it. Its Revive HGUC likewise received a big marketing push, and the RGs are generally very well-received.

(It did get some flak for being recycled in the RG Sinanju, but 1) that's more a criticism of the RG Sinanju, and 2) has less to do with actual criticism of the kit and more with a mistaken expectation that each RG be totally unique from the ground up, I think.)

Me, I don't have any strong feelings for the design, so all of that hype is a bit lost on me. But kudos to those who do like it.

On 9/4/2018 at 9:28 AM, no3Ljm said:

As expected for this Christmas 2018. ^_^

Perfect Grade 1/100 00 Gundam Seven Sword for Y23000.

http://www.taghobby.com/archives/309637

I'm interested because a giant 007S is awesome, but I've heard lot's of bad things about the PG 00.

1 minute ago, anime52k8 said:

I'm interested because a giant 007S is awesome, but I've heard lot's of bad things about the PG 00.

Such as? Only asking because I just finished mine the other month and never really heard anything bad except the way the joints work

22 hours ago, Scyla said:

As kajnrig mentioned, the inner frame for the PG is quite good. For me the inner detail is on par with the GP-01 and Strike. It is about as plain as plain can possibly be when the outer armor is put on though. Not only is there very little parts separation (comparable to a basic MG) they didn't really even give any panel lines. I painted mine with RX-93 Nu colors just to give a little more variation but it is first on my list when I decide to try my hand at scribing panel lines.

As for the suit history itself, it was the first upgrade the fans saw from the grand daddy RX-78 (other previous suits like the NX and GP series were ret-conned in later). It took pretty much all of the visual cues from that mobile suit and made them better (in my opinion anyway). It also had the dark/Titans as an alternate color scheme going for it as well.

All these years later though I doubt that it is super high on anyone's top list of Gundams. I think why the kits are as good as they are due to two reasons. First is that its simple design allows the engineers to focus other things besides balance/transformation/gimmicks etc. Second, it being a main suit they still put more effort into it than they would a basic grunt suit.

2 minutes ago, anime52k8 said:

I remember at the time it came out there were a lot of complaints about the locking joints not really working, making it really hard to pose and regularly self-destructing.

I haven't had any issue with the locking joints on mine. I actually like them. They may limit some pose somewhat but at least you know they will stay in place.

What I really didn't like was the lack of detail on the inner frame. It felt in no way like a PG when I put it together. More like an upscaled MG. It was disappointing to say the least. For such a popular suit it really felt like they phoned the frame in.

My other big issue were the joints that they didn't provide a locking mechanism to. The biggest offender to this was the shoulder joint. It is nothing but a friction joint. There is no way it is able to hold anything out in front of it as the arm always drops. Unless they do a major revision there is no way it is going to be able to hold the buster sword without a stand to support it.

Thanks for all the replies on the RX-178. I really enjoyed reading them. :) 

Onwards to the next project. I have the MG Sinanju Stein, the MG Double Zeta or the MG Hi-Nu HWS to choose from..

...but which one to pick. I thought about the HWS but then again I can only flat coat them next summer so they just would sit around collecting dust (instead of the box collecting it). Maybe I do the Stein because I only heard good thinks about the MG Sinanju. Well maybe with the exception of the main ball joint on the waist breaking. :unsure:

6 minutes ago, Scyla said:

Onwards to the next project. I have the MG Sinanju Stein, the MG Double Zeta or the MG Hi-Nu HWS to choose from..

...but which one to pick. I thought about the HWS but then again I can only flat coat them next summer so they just would sit around collecting dust (instead of the box collecting it). Maybe I do the Stein because I only heard good thinks about the MG Sinanju. Well maybe with the exception of the main ball joint on the waist breaking. :unsure:

That was only an issue with the Ver Ka Sinanju. They fixed that on the anime version and the Stein. They even give you an extra waist piece on the Stein so that you can fix the Ver Ka. If you ever plan on getting a Sinanju I would keep the extra Stein pieces and buy the Ver Ka since that one has the water slide decals. The Ver Ka doesn't come with the bazooka though.

As for which one to pick I think all 3 are great quality kits and a lot of fun to build. I probably like the Hi-Nu the best (I visually prefer it without the HWS though). In the end you can't go wrong with any of them. Happy building!

11 minutes ago, Boobytrap said:

That was only an issue with the Ver Ka Sinanju. They fixed that on the anime version and the Stein. They even give you an extra waist piece on the Stein so that you can fix the Ver Ka. If you ever plan on getting a Sinanju I would keep the extra Stein pieces and buy the Ver Ka since that one has the water slide decals. The Ver Ka doesn't come with the bazooka though.

As for which one to pick I think all 3 are great quality kits and a lot of fun to build. I probably like the Hi-Nu the best (I visually prefer it without the HWS though). In the end you can't go wrong with any of them. Happy building!

That is a relief to know. Not a fan of the Sinanju because there is no color separation for the black inlays on the gold ornament like on the RG just stickers. 

I build the actual Hi-Nu a a year ago so it will be only the HWS that needs to be assembled, panel lined and decaled up.

Which ZZ do you have - original or Ver Ka? I built the original in the form of the FAZZ Sentinel Ver., and I found it as awesomely stupid as its source material, and I mean that as a compliment. There are some parts that don't make the transition from ZZ to FAZZ, but by and large it's the same kit. It's from that era of Master Grade where they weren't quite so infatuated with complexity and gimmicks and articulation and the like, but I just remember it being this big old mess of a kit to put and keep together, and a lot of fun for it.

1 hour ago, Scyla said:

I'd vote for the Sinanju Stein, but I really like the look of it. Of the 3 you listed the only one I've built is the MG ZZ Ver Ka, which was an alright brick. The stein is a really good candidate for painting though, if you want to hold off on it.

50 minutes ago, Scyla said:

That is a relief to know. Not a fan of the Sinanju because there is no color separation for the black inlays on the gold ornament like on the RG just stickers. 

I build the actual Hi-Nu a a year ago so it will be only the HWS that needs to be assembled, panel lined and decaled up.

The Sinanju OVA (and the edition of the Ver Ka with waterslides) come with waterslides for the trim. Also you can do a reverse-wash for the trim.

20 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

Which ZZ do you have - original or Ver Ka? I built the original in the form of the FAZZ Sentinel Ver., and I found it as awesomely stupid as its source material, and I mean that as a compliment. There are some parts that don't make the transition from ZZ to FAZZ, but by and large it's the same kit. It's from that era of Master Grade where they weren't quite so infatuated with complexity and gimmicks and articulation and the like, but I just remember it being this big old mess of a kit to put and keep together, and a lot of fun for it.

I have the new Ver. Ka ZZ. I like all the complexity, gimmicks and articulation of these MG kits. Also all the waterslide decals with the tiny markings really bring the kit to live in my opinion. 

3 hours ago, seti88 said:

Whatchagonnado. But the f91 is nice enough to have 2 of em displayed. I take it this should also be lighted as well?

I think it should be no prob lighting them up, though I think the quad VSBR unit won't have the noice back lighting

Finally finished assembling my partial paint Mk-II. I decided to break up the white by modeling it after the RG a bit. I also painted over that ugly purple frame with German Gray. What a great kit, for it’s age! And pretty tall on my shelf.

I’ve ordered some 1/100 RG style decals from eBay. Once those come in, Elle’s suit will be finished!

241A41B9-6E9D-4791-AF92-FF19E7129ADB.jpeg

Edited by Kelsain

I’ve always wondered if the mechanical joint parts were meant to be that purple grey color or if it was just an artistic choice for the anime. A lot of older anime shows use a similar color for mechanical parts and it looks almost unnoticeable in animation, but very noticeable in reality. I personally go with medium greys or sometimes add a touch of brown on most of my kits. To be honest, I don’t know why it bugs me when most gundams kinda look a bit like a hooker that over did the make up.