Guys can you help me decide which Zaku II I should get? I have been puzzling over several days already on what Zaku II kit would be best. I've listed the ones I'm considering below. HG kits only since this is an impulse of mine (I'm looking at green color-themed kits) and I don't want to spend that much. The last item looks interesting but more expensive, my original choice is the Zaku Ground War Set but a comment says it doesn't have much details? I don't paint kits so I also want a good-looking finished kit without paint.

1/144 HG Zaku II Type C / Type C-5

1/144 HGUC MS-06 Zaku The Ground War Set

1/144 HG MS-06 Zaku II (Gundam Thunderbolt Ver.)

1/144 Zaku II + Big Gun (Gundam Thunderbolt Ver.) -- Anime Ver.

7 minutes ago, hachi said:

Guys can you help me decide which Zaku II I should get? I have been puzzling over several days already on what Zaku II kit would be best. I've listed the ones I'm considering below. HG kits only since this is an impulse of mine (I'm looking at green color-themed kits) and I don't want to spend that much. The last item looks interesting but more expensive, my original choice is the Zaku Ground War Set but a comment says it doesn't have much details? I don't paint kits so I also want a good-looking finished kit without paint.

1/144 HG Zaku II Type C / Type C-5

1/144 HGUC MS-06 Zaku The Ground War Set

1/144 HG MS-06 Zaku II (Gundam Thunderbolt Ver.)

1/144 Zaku II + Big Gun (Gundam Thunderbolt Ver.) -- Anime Ver.

I would recommend going with the Type C / Type C-5. It is the most recent HG Zaku and will probably look the best without painting. The building and articulation will be superior to the ground war set, which came out in 2009. Plus you get a lot of weapon option with this kit if you are thinking of army building. The thunderbolt kits don't look bad but the they do have a lot stickers, something to keep in mind if you don't like stickers. And the suit will be back heavy with the larger backpack. 

Hope that helps.

tl;dr - My recc: Zaku II Type C/C-5

Type C/C-5 = newest (of the four), follows the design of the Zaku II from Gundam The Origin, is probably the most "complete" Zaku II from that line (others have little accessories that might not be included here, but most everything is accounted for)

Ground War Set = oldest, uses a Zaku II mold from the early/mid-2000s based more on the original anime/08MST design, comes with a bunch of really nice accessories, but everything was designed with some paint work in mind

Zaku II Thunderbolt = same as Big Gun kit, but without Big Gun, so don't get this

Zaku II Thunderbolt + Big Gun = has a big gun, is based on the Gundam Thunderbolt Zaku II design, which is a hit or miss design depending on who you are, but that Big Gun is really Big and is a Gun

If what you want is something that looks half-decent that you can play with, the C-5 is probably your best choice. All of these will require paint to look their best, but the C-5 comes closest to not needing it at all. I'm partial to the Ground War Set because of the close 08MST ties, and I can't stand the Thunderbolt designs, so if I were in your shoes it would be a tossup between the C-5 and the GWS, but I know some people probably wouldn't enjoy the dated design of the GWS Zaku.

9 minutes ago, General Rasp said:

I would recommend going with the Type C / Type C-5. It is the most recent HG Zaku and will probably look the best without painting. The building and articulation will be superior to the ground war set, which came out in 2009. Plus you get a lot of weapon option with this kit if you are thinking of army building. The thunderbolt kits don't look bad but the they do have a lot stickers, something to keep in mind if you don't like stickers. And the suit will be back heavy with the larger backpack. 

Hope that helps.

That's a really good reason to get the Type C/C-5. And it's one of the least expensive. Thanks! Now all I gotta do is wait for next payday :D

2 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

tl;dr - My recc: Zaku II Type C/C-5

Type C/C-5 = newest (of the four), follows the design of the Zaku II from Gundam The Origin, is probably the most "complete" Zaku II from that line (others have little accessories that might not be included here, but most everything is accounted for)

Ground War Set = oldest, uses a Zaku II mold from the early/mid-2000s based more on the original anime/08MST design, comes with a bunch of really nice accessories, but everything was designed with some paint work in mind

Zaku II Thunderbolt = same as Big Gun kit, but without Big Gun, so don't get this

Zaku II Thunderbolt + Big Gun = has a big gun, is based on the Gundam Thunderbolt Zaku II design, which is a hit or miss design depending on who you are, but that Big Gun is really Big and is a Gun

If what you want is something that looks half-decent that you can play with, the C-5 is probably your best choice. All of these will require paint to look their best, but the C-5 comes closest to not needing it at all. I'm partial to the Ground War Set because of the close 08MST ties, and I can't stand the Thunderbolt designs, so if I were in your shoes it would be a tossup between the C-5 and the GWS, but I know some people probably wouldn't enjoy the dated design of the GWS Zaku.

Another vote for the Type C/C-5! :D

The c pack is pretty good, but I like the look of the thunderbolt also. 

If you only want 1/144 and are only wanting to do a lazy build without paint or seam line work, then consider the rg green zaku. It’s high detail, but does have some tiny parts and isn’t a toyish buy due to the extremely intricate build. It is a very smart design and even the weapons are slide molded so they don’t need the two half design that requires putty down the middle. It’s also molded completely in color with stickers included for sensors and markings.

5 hours ago, Big s said:

The c pack is pretty good, but I like the look of the thunderbolt also. 

If you only want 1/144 and are only wanting to do a lazy build without paint or seam line work, then consider the rg green zaku. It’s high detail, but does have some tiny parts and isn’t a toyish buy due to the extremely intricate build. It is a very smart design and even the weapons are slide molded so they don’t need the two half design that requires putty down the middle. It’s also molded completely in color with stickers included for sensors and markings.

I wanted an HG since it would be cheaper. And I already built the HG Char Zaku II Origin kit which I liked it so I feel safe if I choose another HG version too.

That looks pretty awesome for those that love bling. This guy is really lucky to be able to have the know-how and the means to goto an electro plating facility to do this.

Though he is limited to ABS it certainly works well for him :0

At this point I can't really bitch about P-Bandai when I give P-Bandai so much money........

They've been bleeding me dry these last two years with all the P-bandai GM's. It's as if they knew I had a weakness for Feddie Grunts.

The only P-Bandai MG GM I don't have is the Kenneth Jung Gm Sniper.

Would prolly buy a MG Lydo-Wolf Gm Sniper II in a heartbeat....

Edited by Duymon

This thingy would be great for when you need a tiny piece here or there painted but you don't want to setup your airbrush. 

Just whip this up. Crack open a window and spray outside lol

Edited by Duymon

I just got my payment and shipping notification from HLJ for my two JEGANS MG. What can i say, that was fast! I thought the release date was toward the end of the month like usual. Anyway looking forward to receive them. Meanwhile i am in the middle of building the Vigna-Ghina RE. Not a bad kit at all, it's missing some details compared to the other RE kit i have(the GP-04) but overall i think it's a good kit.

5 hours ago, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

Could anyone share some tips on how to get a limited kit from the Gundam Base?  I'd like to try getting the new candy coated Sazabi that was released this month, but the usual retailers can't help me this time.

Is this something you have to be in the physical Gundam Base store in Tokyo to obtain it, correct? Probably it's best to ask members who's in Japan at this moment. And just pay their service fee. Or email proxy site and ask if they can get it for you like CDJapan, FromJapan, or Buyee.

36 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Is this something you have to be in the physical Gundam Base store in Tokyo to obtain it, correct? Probably it's best to ask members who's in Japan at this moment. And just pay their service fee. Or email proxy site and ask if they can get it for you like CDJapan, FromJapan, or Buyee.

I dug around a few proxy services, and I found that they will help you get an item only if the item is from an ONLINE shop, which the Gundam Base unfortunately doesn't have (I think).  I haven't read up on Buyee, however.  I'll definitely look them up, and I'll keep on digging.  Thanks for your suggestions!