where's the best place to go through to buy P-Bandai kits? I usually just use NY but somehow they're sold out of the Sandrock kits (which makes no sense since orders are still open with bandai themselves).

Could be NY is just unsure how much stock they'll get and want to keep preorders to a minimum until they get word of more stock...

As for alternatives, there's From Japan, USA Gundam Store, Tatsu Hobby... The last two are US stores that probably get their stuff through Bluefin; you can probably check its website (if it has one) to see other partner retailers. The first is a third party proxy service, so other proxies should provide the same service. I think Samuel Decal also sells P-Bandai kits as well.

From the Gundam 3rd-Party Figures thread, in case any of you missed it.

tl;dr:

- 1/144 Avalanche Dash IP conversion kit for RG Exia, by "Effect Wings"
- 1/100 Avalanche Exia Dash, by "Dragon Momoko" (based on Metal Build Exia)
- 1/100 Avalanche Exia (Dash?), by "Daban" (based on regular MG Exia?)

14 minutes ago, dragonstar1982 said:

So I just started trying to weathering effects on my models, this is my first attempt.just finished it today. Was wondering If I could get feed back on what did right and what I could improve on, thanks

Some random thoughts:

- You might want to work with cheaper models (No-Grades, HGs, etc.) until you feel a bit more confident in your skills. Using MGs as practice can get pricey.

- A flat coat to finish it off wouldn't be a bad idea. As it is now, the shiny plastic stands out against the weathering effects. Flat coating will also help to minimize somewhat the obviousness of the marking stickers.

- Alternatively, a trend that's popped up in Japan is to sand the plastic with high-grit sandpaper to get rid of that glossy surface. Obviously you'd do this before any panel lining/weathering, but do know that this changes how paint and stuff behaves in contact with the plastic.

- I'm guessing you used... Gundam marker for the lining? Pen? Try experimenting with different methods and colors. A lot of people (myself included) like paint washes, for instance. This method tends to fill in panel lines more fully and evenly with less overrun. I remember someone here (I think seti) using mechanical pencil as well to nice effect.

- Heck, experiment with different methods in general. Experiment with tools. Try applying what you did on a single area to an entire kit. For instance, on the lower calves you've accentuated the shape and angles of the armor by leaving the corners stark white but shading wide swathes of surface area around it. I don't see this repeated elsewhere on the kit. It could make for a really nice artistic effect, similar to what "cel shading" modelers do with their kits. (I love those builds especially, and haven't worked up the guts yet to try it myself.)

Best of luck, and have fun. :)

Finally managed to visit Gundam Planet (funny how it's the first time visiting there despite the fact that it's only 1 hour and 20 mins away) today and picked up the long, sought after MG Geara Doga kit! Now all I need for them to make is a MG Jagd Doga and I'll have all the Char's Counterattack suits that I like!

I think I recall the Jegan being one of the models they were considering for the Re/100 line. I haven't seen anything about whether they actually will make it, though.

In other news, I just snagged a Gerbera Tetra from HLJ! I've been wanting one of these for years, but unwilling to pay $30-45 for an HGUC. I guess Bandai has finally reissued this one.

Edited by Kelsain

If you, like me, hate Bandai hands and/or like Frame Arms kits, here's a newly-tooled set of hands in Kotobukiya's MSG line of add-on kits:

https://hlj.com/product/KBYMB-45
December release, 900 yen

kbymb-45_0_1502167257.jpg

My only criticism right now is that they don't include closed fists, but those can be found on Kotobukiya's other hand sets, so it's no big loss. The angled wrists (first included in their LED beam sabers, I believe) more than make up for it.

EDIT:

Also HLJ are having a sale on Robot Damashii figures, apparently. Free stands: https://hlj.com/robot-damashii-2017?0821

Edited by kajnrig

7 hours ago, kajnrig said:

If you, like me, hate Bandai hands and/or like Frame Arms kits, here's a newly-tooled set of hands in Kotobukiya's MSG line of add-on kits:

Bandai's Builder's Parts hands have good closed fists, and they come in different sizes, down to the Victory/F-91 dimensions 

24590538793_e45590672c_z.jpg

For the most part the Builders Parts hands are good, but they do what all Bandai hands do and mold the thumbs half-merged into the fingers. It's probably to facilitate better weapons gripping, but it ruins an otherwise excellent set of hands. Other companies have done it better, and even Bandai itself did a better job in that regard with their HGUC GM-series hands, so it baffles me why they keep going back to a style as bad as this.

On 8/23/2017 at 10:23 PM, dizman said:

GM Sniper Custom that isn't P-Bandai!? Could it really be true?

gm-sniper-custom.JPG

Oh and RG Johnny Ridden Zaku II.... I like it but I already have the excellent HG so probably a pass for me.

rg-johnny-ridden-zaku-II%2B%25282%2529.jpg

A part of me is going "Yay, UC!" But a bigger part of me is irked that they're pulling from side stories while I'm still waiting for an RG Alex, ZZ, or Nu... stuff that was actually animated.

I can't really blame them for playing it safe with a Zaku II remold after the work they put into the RG Unicorn though it would be nice to have a new Alex in any form. Seems like Johnny Ridden is getting more popular with an ongoing MSV manga so they are just going with the trend to make some easy yen.

4OZIfvb.jpg

Test-fitting. Still needs some trimming, a bath to scrub off the mold release, then it's off to priming and a second round of checking for defects. Unfortunately, there are a couple of super small seam lines on the shoulders and cheeks; I might just leave them be, frankly...

The parts fit isn't 100% airtight in the forearms, but the arm covers hide the gap for the most part. The top of the central calf armor is supposed to touch the bottom of the side armor panels and doesn't, but that area is surrounded by exposed frame; I'll probably let it slide, too.

The biggest issue is the backpack. There's a hinge on the bottom of it that allows the ring's arms to fold down and the ring floats beneath the feet, but I can't get said hinge to hinge all the way, and I can't tell exactly what's obstructing its movement. And yet again, I might leave that alone because 1) I won't ever pose it that way, and 2) I might replace the backpack entirely anyway.

One of the few things I dislike about the Stargazer design is its backpack, a bulky, cumbersome thing that takes attention away from the Gundam and the ring and draws it towards its ugliness. Something inconspicuous, like a simple GM backpack, would look much better in its place. I still haven't decided what to do yet, but if I do replace it, I'll take the backpack from the Ground GM Sniper (I've been needing a reason to buy that thing for a long time anyway) and cover up the thrusters.

The articulated arms that attach to the ring would certainly go as well. The ring is always made to look like it's floating separately from the Stargazer; mechanical arms that move it around only serve to detract from the mystique. I'll probably just attach the ring to its own arm on a stand.

Alternatively, another idea I'm considering is to attach it to the backpack via a clear attachment piece. If I did that, I'd want to suspend some wire inside the resin to mimic energy veins. Maybe EL wire that can light up? It might be a nice look, like the energy lines that sometimes run from the back of the Anubis to its wings in Zone of the Enders...