Battlestar Galactica Discussion IV with Blood And Chrome

6 minutes ago, 505thAirborne said:

It looks like this is becoming a reality now. 

Hopefully it's not another re-telling of the Original & RDM series. 

Battlestar Galactica Reboot Gets Exciting Update As New Showrunner Is Hired (screenrant.com)

Well, it is stated several times as a reboot, and I'm of two minds on that. My favorite version is the original, as I feel it had far more heart and hope than Moor's ship full of a-holes. It was also a far simpler story, rather than the confusing mess that didn't know where it was going half way through. If there was a continuation, I would it continued with the original series (!!!NO BSG1980!!!). If it, as most likely will be, a reboot of the Moore series, then I hope they reach back for what made the original so good, with characters I actually wanted to root for.

I take it you haven’t seen much of Sam Esmail’s work?

I could see him ramping up the whole “Cylons hiding among us” paranoia. . . while filming a scene completely off-center.

I personally enjoyed a lot of his stuff.  And while I still hold the Moore/Eick BSG in extremely high regard, I’d be curious to see what Esmail does with the concept.

I never really cared for the last reboot. It’s probably because I used to watch the old version so much as a kid and would love to sit down for after school meals while it was in syndication. The reboot just seemed a bit too much, they also took every body’s favorite character and turned him into a her and I wasn’t really into the humanization of the cylons either. I probably would have liked it if I hadn’t grown up with the original series though.

Hopefully this is a reboot that is closer to the older show and has better looking effects 

If the plan is to do a Reboot of Galactica making a run for Earth after the destruction of the colonies, I'd be on board for a completely updated version of the original series, and for the record I was born in 1976 but watched the reruns as a kid until I was blue in the face, it would be cool to see that version of the story explored since it never really got proper a chance to be developed the first time around. This time we need a fully functioning staff & a hefty budget, both of which didn't exist with NBC in 1979. 

As for Starbuck being a guy or a gal, that doesn't matter to me as long the character is well written, thought out and a top-notch actor is hired. (Yeah, I know, that's asking for a lot.) 

One thing I never liked about the 2003 version was the 'hiding among us' stuff. I'm too TOS-school. Give the insectoid aliens and the chrome Centurions. Maybe do an infiltration model or a brain-washed or specially-bread humans for some espionage stuff, but no more with the cyborg versions or the 'they can be just like us' stuff.

Saying that, of course, brings to mind the planned TOS season 2, and I don't mean the 1980 garbage. That too had Cylons turning into humans, so I probably would not have liked that either.

Also don't mind the gender swaps. Heck, I have a nascent BSG fanfic with Apollo being played by Lucy Lawless!:D

Phew----TOUGH room here! I grew up with the original just like most everyone else here, but I absolutely love the 2000's BSG! It's one of my all time favorite sci-fi shows.  Been considering showing it to the wife. I loved the dark, gritty military feel of the thing. I felt like all the actors did a great job and of course Olmos was just epic.  I fell in love with most all of the characters and enjoy a rewatch every few years or so. None I've ever showed it to, didn't like it!  Maybe it's because I met Edward James Olmos and "Six" Tricia Helfer at a con once and they were two of the nicest people I've ever met (to this day I have never felt softer skin on a woman than that ladies hands were), ANYWAY! I welcome any new BSG!  

Even if Moore's BSG hadn't had the creative, original writing and great actors, I'd still love it for all the Epic Space Battle scenes and the Galactica's design update. Just hearing the DRADIS sound effect takes me right back. And I was a huge fan of the original series.

The "33" episode is peak SF TV.

Pretty sure Esmail will ride heavily on the "they are among us" paranoia train, which is kinda his home territory, but it's hard to imagine the show not having some nice space stuff.

I love the original Vipers and their 3 button control stick.

But damn was it fun how the updated Vipers could flip on a dime in space.  Made the dogfights a little more interesting.

25 minutes ago, Mog said:

I love the original Vipers and their 3 button control stick.

But damn was it fun how the updated Vipers could flip on a dime in space.  Made the dogfights a little more interesting.

The turbo button was the single greatest glaring omission in the reimagined Viper designs.  I can understand why Moore steered away from that detail but I always loved the shove you back in your seat, kick in the pants, dragon breath-like after-burner go-fast button in both the launch tube and in space... it was just so badass and iconic in the og show and distinctive from contemporary space fighter of the era; it clearly set it apart from the X-Wing and Thunderfighter.

I understand the sentiment.  BUT they did launch this bonkers Vipers scene into our collective memories:

So, I can forgive them the omission. :D

I did love watching the old one as a 9-year-old boy (Star Wars every week!!!) and had the perfect simplicity for a kid to get immersed in it.  It grew up with me seeing the 2003 version but it's just too bad that it started strong but waned and lost its direction towards the later seasons unfortunately.  I'm happy for any Science Fiction on TV, but I hope any reboot should only be done if they have something different and better to say instead of just replacing everyone with opposite genders (I do love Katee Sackhoff as Starbuck!) just to tick off some HR checklist.  Why not come up with a new series instead of rebooting a reboot?

10 hours ago, Big s said:

Oddly, Apollo in the og show was more feminine than Lucy Lawless 

HAHA!!😄

I'll always say give me the updated FX and ships with the TOS heart. Oh, and lasers and aliens!

5 hours ago, wm cheng said:

Why not come up with a new series instead of rebooting a reboot?

Because they’re hoping for the fandom to be a help boost audience numbers. I’d rather see something new as well if they’re gonna basically change almost everything about it, kinda like with Halo. But they’re afraid to put something out that has no existing franchise.

On 1/21/2024 at 2:07 PM, Thom said:

Well, it is stated several times as a reboot, and I'm of two minds on that. My favorite version is the original, as I feel it had far more heart and hope than Moor's ship full of a-holes. It was also a far simpler story, rather than the confusing mess that didn't know where it was going half way through. 

To be fair - the original was going nowhere after the first few excellent episodes.  The last few episodes, where the Cylons found them again were good too, the batch just before that were abominations.

44 minutes ago, Dynaman said:

To be fair - the original was going nowhere after the first few excellent episodes.  The last few episodes, where the Cylons found them again were good too, the batch just before that were abominations.

I agree, they weren't all good, but if given the choice of rewatching the original series or the 2003 version, I'll choose TOS.;)

Edited by Thom

14 hours ago, Mog said:

I understand the sentiment.  BUT they did launch this bonkers Vipers scene into our collective memories:

So, I can forgive them the omission. :D

Just one of the many & possibly great moments of Sci-Fi right there, seeing the Galactica jumping into the atmosphere was completely unexpected and one coolest scene's ever in this series, which is saying a lot because this BSG series had tons of exciting & breathtaking moments/scenes. 

8 hours ago, Dynaman said:

I think you also have to think about it in terms of when the original came out. I’d definitely watch a bad episode over most shows that were on back in the day and especially when the show was in syndication. The show had the best looking effects that rivaled movies at the time and a killer soundtrack that sticks in your head that was a big part of great television at the time. I remember often sitting for reruns of it on a block that also would play Buck Rogers back to back and that was a great mix of sound action and great effects. I think the other option was the news or a court show and I’d watch either of those cool sci-fi shows over the other dull options.

8 hours ago, Thom said:

I agree, they weren't all good, but if given the choice of rewatching the original series or the 2003 version, I'll choose TOS.;)

I’d definitely watch the og show over the remake.

Although I am curious about this new reboot. Hopefully they do better looking effects seeing as how it’s been 20 years since the last version. And if it’s a lot closer to the original show, I’d be a lot more interested in the project 

14 hours ago, Dynaman said:

OG BSG was a STAR WARS rip-off, though good and loved, but still a STAR WARS rip-off. The reboot BSG reshaped 21st century sci-fi. That being said we can still appreciate both for what they were at the time.

Watched TOS which was fun as a kid but really cheesy on rewatches (even if I have the limited edition cylon head DVD pack). TNS was so much better for the first 2.5 seasons- but once it became Battletent:Galactica then it really lost its way. The cylons had a plan, but Moore and Eick didn't, unfortunately. 

15 hours ago, Big s said:

I think you also have to think about it in terms of when the original came out. I’d definitely watch a bad episode over most shows that were on back in the day and especially when the show was in syndication. The show had the best looking effects that rivaled movies at the time

I remember it stopped being a must watch for me somewhere along the line after the first few episodes and I am not sure that I have seen them all to this day.  Yes the initial FX were great but after that there were very few new FX shots, mostly recycled shots over, and over, and over, and over, and over...

5 hours ago, vladykins said:

Watched TOS which was fun as a kid but really cheesy on rewatches (even if I have the limited edition cylon head DVD pack). TNS was so much better for the first 2.5 seasons- but once it became Battletent:Galactica then it really lost its way. The cylons had a plan, but Moore and Eick didn't, unfortunately. 

True - if you are going to have a character have a big plan then you MUST have some idea what that big plan is before you start shooting the show.  

• 3 weeks later...