Macross Lineart and Profile Color Scheme Art, Round II

Talos

He's mocking your use of the term from Robotech, which is generally laughed at here. The proper Macross term is Variable Fighter or VF. Valkyrie or Valk also works. ;)

Anyway, your stuff looks good, man. I like the shadows. :)

More facetious than mocking ;) .

I know the term and to be honest it is nice of someone at HG to use their brain cell to work out an acronym after all these years... Macek coined the phrase to explain what the "VF" stood for in the fighter designation, he never really figured much past that. :rolleyes:

Though SchizophrenicMC is right when he says your artwork is very nice!!

And here I was thinking how nice it is that the Fan Works section is so accepting of Robotech terminology lol

Well most here tend to prefer the original Japanese series' terms and names. Had RT been an anthology series with multiple intact shows under one brand name, it probably would have much more respect now and probably be one of the longest running anime series on Western TV...

Edited by Zinjo

Can't wait to see those!

Yeah, I've been focusing on real-world stuff recently, like this which I did with a friend. I did the line art, he did the coloring and shading.

http://fc00.devianta...nov-d4w73co.png

The last time I worked on the YF-24/VF-24, I had gotten most of it done. I do want to go back and reshape the nose from the Master File version a little, and of course add a gunpod and other armaments. You'll note the EX-Gear on this particular one. The nose is extended on this one, to fit a proper ISC.

th_VF-24A.jpg

Since I've seen only the Wake Island Avengers... This thread also has to call in the Black Sheep.

th_VF25TRACE_BLACKSHEEP.jpg

Beautiful work , but why "NUNS Marines"?

You never see US Navy Marines... I would suggest NUN Marines should suffice, since Spacy is meant to be an abbreviated version of "Space Navy".

Beautiful work , but why "NUNS Marines"?

You never see US Navy Marines... I would suggest NUN Marines should suffice, since Spacy is meant to be an abbreviated version of "Space Navy".

We could debate further about this or whether NUNS has a Marine contingent (or an Air Force), but as all I have seen are aircraft with NUNS painted on the legs, that's what I had to come up with instead, based on what I came across HH's older VF-11 profiles.

We could debate further about this or whether NUNS has a Marine contingent (or an Air Force), but as all I have seen are aircraft with NUNS painted on the legs, that's what I had to come up with instead, based on what I came across HH's older VF-11 profiles.

I think you are missing my point.

NUNS stands for NEW(NEO) UNITED NATIONS SPACY - SPACY is short for Space Navy. So the term for a UN Marine Corps would be NUN Marines (NEW UNITED NATIONS MARINES)

That is the point I was making, not whether there is a marine corps or airforce in the UN forces (which I believe there are ... :p , but that's for another thread...)

• 1 month later...

hi there !..another artwork using the amazing line art from Talos !! I hope you like it...

VF25_revisado.jpg

@Zinjo

VERITECH stands for Variable Engineering and Robotic Integration TECHnology

Thank you all for your comments !!

your friend

RAFE

Your work's awesome! Would you possibly consider doing VF-1 Wolfpack and VF-2 Bounty Hunters markings on VF-25 Messiahs for me?

Squadron 3, RAAF. Note that much of the detailing were based from the F18, and are in high-viz color, and a few elements rearranged to fit with the Messiah's layout.

Also, as many air arms on Earth were integrated into UN and later NUN, along with the eventual standardization of rank, unit and squadron designations, some squadrons were allowed to retain their heritage and past unit histories (i.e. insignia, coolor motifs, emblems, national flag, etc.).

post-13996-0-25699000-1341834298_thumb.jpg

Edited by soul.assassin

Squadron 3, RAAF. Note that much of the detailing were based from the F18, and are in high-viz color, and a few elements rearranged to fit with the Messiah's layout.

Also, as many air arms on Earth were integrated into UN and later NUN, along with the eventual standardization of rank, unit and squadron designations, some squadrons were allowed to retain their heritage and past unit histories (i.e. insignia, coolor motifs, emblems, national flag, etc.).

Very Sexy...

• 2 weeks later...

th_Clip_38.jpg

A little break from the usual and my sense of humor at work (in progress), after toying with the idea of a C-130 'tour bus' in the aftermath of my SnT second helping.

Update: It's done, guys!

th_c130-01.jpg

I just lol'd :p Nothing to do with the fact that I fly on C-130J's or anything. :p

Should have used a Super Herc in place of a legacy Herc, tho ;D

^

Couldn't find a better hi-res line scan of J models, which left me with that old-school Herc without the now-standard external tanks.

Since some people are still nostalgic, maybe later I'll take a shot at a few VF-1s, now that I have the VF Master File on ready.

^

Couldn't find a better hi-res line scan of J models, which left me with that old-school Herc without the now-standard external tanks.

Since some people are still nostalgic, maybe later I'll take a shot at a few VF-1s, now that I have the VF Master File on ready.

If you want, we have squadron lithographs of one of our planes (i.e., line scan). When I get home in about 2 weeks, I can scan one... C-130J-30 (Stretch model Super Hercules).

Also just threw this together in case anyone would like to do some scan line of the VF-27. Hope someone puts it to good use. Would spend more time cleaning it up for this style, but quite frankly, I have rum waiting to be consumed and I have earned it this week.

vf27line.png

If you want, we have squadron lithographs of one of our planes (i.e., line scan). When I get home in about 2 weeks, I can scan one... C-130J-30 (Stretch model Super Hercules).

Thanks! :D

BTW, right now where I'm sitting, I'm cooking up something big for the 30th anniversary, and as always it's WIP. :)

• 4 weeks later...

After seeing so many amazing colorized valks, along with many in the US Naval markings schemes it occurred to me that some adjustments might be in order.

I've been edumacating myself on US Navy markings on Jets and found the tail lettering to be the AirWing the fighter belongs to.

A two letter Air Wing designation only allows for 676 air wing combinations and thus by the time of Mac Plus it is reasonable to conclude they must have switched to 3 letter designations which would allow for approximately 17576 air wings to be registered in UN Spacy as opposed to the initial 676.

Another thing I still have to confirm but it appears that the "Modex" numbers on the Spacy valks in SDFM are US Airforce numbers or another countries numbering convention. US Navy Modex never start with a zero, prefix numbers "1" & "2" are for fighter craft, "3" & "4" are for attack craft (though with the US navy flying mostly F/A Hornets it would seem that #'s 1 - 4 are F/A squadrons anyway), "5" is for Electronics craft "6" is for Early Warning aircraft and Helos begin with "7".

The only time a prefix is "0" is if the fighter is an Admiral's bird...

The next 2 digits designate who belongs to the fighter - "00" is a CAG (Commander of Air Group), "01" is a squadron commander's fighter, "02" the squadron XO, etc, usually the number "13" is skipped...

The Marines only use a 3 digit modex when they are assigned to a carrier wing, otherwise ground based squadrons use a two digit modex number for their aircraft.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modex

Edited by Zinjo

• 4 weeks later...

After seeing so many amazing colorized valks, along with many in the US Naval markings schemes it occurred to me that some adjustments might be in order.

I've been edumacating myself on US Navy markings on Jets and found the tail lettering to be the AirWing the fighter belongs to.

A two letter Air Wing designation only allows for 676 air wing combinations and thus by the time of Mac Plus it is reasonable to conclude they must have switched to 3 letter designations which would allow for approximately 17576 air wings to be registered in UN Spacy as opposed to the initial 676.

Another thing I still have to confirm but it appears that the "Modex" numbers on the Spacy valks in SDFM are US Airforce numbers or another countries numbering convention. US Navy Modex never start with a zero, prefix numbers "1" & "2" are for fighter craft, "3" & "4" are for attack craft (though with the US navy flying mostly F/A Hornets it would seem that #'s 1 - 4 are F/A squadrons anyway), "5" is for Electronics craft "6" is for Early Warning aircraft and Helos begin with "7".

The only time a prefix is "0" is if the fighter is an Admiral's bird...

The next 2 digits designate who belongs to the fighter - "00" is a CAG (Commander of Air Group), "01" is a squadron commander's fighter, "02" the squadron XO, etc, usually the number "13" is skipped...

The Marines only use a 3 digit modex when they are assigned to a carrier wing, otherwise ground based squadrons use a two digit modex number for their aircraft.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modex

In real life terms, the Macross modexs are probably, at least in the original show, based on JASDF ones, which repeat the last three digits of the plane's serial number. You can see that on 32-8080/080 here. When I was doing my VF-4s, I pretty much stayed with what they had in real life with the Navy squadrons, with a few tweaks here and there. The harder one was assigning non-USN squadrons modexes that fit the rest, of course.

I really need to get back to Macross stuff sometime. I've been focusing on some other series recently.

th_Patches.jpgth_Viper-Forward-fuselage-shading-test.pngth_ViperMkII.jpg

th_Yukikaze-patch-2.pngth_Yukikaze.jpg