Macross Lineart and Profile Color Scheme Art, Round II

Talos

Little update on the SF-3A after discussing the size issue with Talos earlier based on figures we found in Sky Angels VF-1(non-canon that time) and Macross Chronicles, i have adjusted the SF-3 to 13.2 metres making it a full meter shorter than the standard VF-1 fighter.

The original 1/72 resin kit (and/or the recast of it) was a little too big for that scale which i based my original measurements on.

Hey, hellohikaru, are you aware that soul.assassin has apparently messed with you VF-11? Or did you happen to do it for him?

Hey, hellohikaru, are you aware that soul.assassin has apparently messed with you VF-11? Or did you happen to do it for him?

No, sir, it's not done by request -- I did the tweaking myself (and by experience I do desktop publishing work for more than a decade, which means I have to deal with DTP software like Photoshop, CorelDraw, Publisher, etc.). I learned the tricks of shading and coloring from that PSD file (with the layers on), which came from VF-11C_side_template.rar (and thus served as a tutorial template), and from there produced my own profiles.

So I owe hellohikaru big-time for providing the necessary learning materials. Furthermore, the lineart inspired me to go see the Macross saga again, and to explore more; I wouldn't be here if it weren't for the work of others in this thread.

Edited by soul.assassin

No, sir, it's not done by request -- I did the tweaking myself (and by experience I do desktop publishing work for more than a decade, which means I have to deal with DTP software like Photoshop, CorelDraw, Publisher, etc.). I learned the tricks of shading and coloring from that PSD file (with the layers on), which came from VF-11C_side_template.rar (and thus served as a tutorial template), and from there produced my own profiles.

So I owe hellohikaru big-time for providing the necessary learning materials. Furthermore, the lineart inspired me to go see the Macross saga again, and to explore more; I wouldn't be here if it weren't for the work of others in this thread.

I can't wait to see what you have coming up next.

As for myself, I recently got back to work on the YF-24 and have almost finished it. Most of what I need to do is some of the finicky, small details. It's an updated version of the Master File line art redrawn for profiling and scaling purposes, plus so I can tweak it with things like different heads, two-seater cockpit, ELINT equipment, weapons, etc. So far I cleaned it up, added some details, tweaked some of the shapes, and did a cockpit interior for it. This preview is in pretty small scale. The finished one will be about twice as large.

yf24.th.jpg

My apologies, then. Do you mind if I post it in the VF-11 Thunderbolt III section of my deviantART gallery?

No prob. ;)

Meanwhile I'm thinking up of some unusual color schemes, something I picked up while playing Heroes of the Pacific and Ace Combat 6, and watching video clips from the game Hawx.

Edit: A "WHAT IF": I imagine a Navy SEAL-type squadron formed up -- in the style of the ol' Dancing Skulls -- after the last battle on the Vajra homeworld, consisting of the top pilots hand-picked from both NUNS and SMS, and led -- once more -- by Ozma Lee as their CAG:

P2gAsl.jpg

Low-viz variant

e0dVBl.jpg

High-viz flames variant

Like night fighters of old, these spec-ops birds are painted with radar-absorbent dark gray, complemented by an additional later coating of special microscopic spheres filled with multicolor tints that can be manipulated electrically to change colors to blend into their surroundings (i.e. nebular clouds, asteroid fields, dust clouds, etc.); another layer of these spheres are made of iron fillings, useful for playing havoc with enemy radar returns.

As expected by their mission requirements, they're heavily armed to the teeth, mostly with LAI-developed weaponry with designs based on previous combat experience.

Brush Credits: http://guska076.deviantart.com/

Edited by soul.assassin

No prob. ;)

Meanwhile I'm thinking up of some unusual color schemes, something I picked up while playing Heroes of the Pacific and Ace Combat 6, and watching video clips from the game Hawx.

Edit: I imagine a Navy SEAL-type squadron formed up -- in the style of the ol' Dancing Skulls -- after the last battle on the Vajra homeworld, consisting of the top pilots hand-picked from both NUNS and SMS, and led -- once more -- by Ozma Lee as their CAG:

P2gAsl.jpg

Low-viz variant

e0dVBl.jpg

High-viz flames variant

Like night fighters of old, these spec-ops birds are painted with radar-absorbent dark gray, complemented by an additional later coating of special microscopic spheres filled with multicolor tints that can be manipulated electrically to change colors to blend into their surroundings (i.e. nebular clouds, asteroid fields, dust clouds, etc.); another layer of these spheres are made of iron fillings, useful for playing havoc with enemy radar returns.

As expected by their mission requirements, they're heavily armed to the teeth, mostly with LAI-developed weaponry with designs based on previous combat experience.

Brush Credits: http://guska076.deviantart.com/

Thanks. Those Spec-ops Messiahs look sweet, and deadly...

im sorry, Navy SEAL VF-25? really? wtf? :wacko: please be reminded to THINK about your ideas. SEALs? really? o.O *mumbles* they are -already- epic quality without the over the top ideas...

Edited by pensives_wetness

im sorry, Navy SEAL VF-25? really? wtf? :wacko: please be reminded to THINK about your ideas. SEALs? really? o.O *mumbles* they are -already- epic quality without the over the top ideas...

I think they look fine. Considering the use and abilities of battroids, there's always the argument that could be made there in favor of it.

The color schemes are hypothetical fanwank "what if" scenarios; it cannot be considered "canon", and thus more applicable to fanfiction and "fanon". :lol:

For years I've read lots of fiction and non-fiction concerning naval aviation and military special operations, along with studies of real-life military technologies (and possible applications in the near future) and tactics, hence the idea of coming up with those two planes.

No spec-ops warfighter wants to go around behind enemy lines with a paint scheme that makes him stick out in the open like a sore thumb.

*sighs*

I'd like to see some more ideas. :) Maybe I'll start with VFA-25 "Fist of the Fleet" and the classic "toilet" payload.

Edited by soul.assassin

The color schemes are hypothetical fanwank "what if" scenarios; it cannot be considered "canon", and thus more applicable to fanfiction and "fanon". :lol:

For years I've read lots of fiction and non-fiction concerning naval aviation and military special operations, along with studies of real-life military technologies (and possible applications in the near future) and tactics, hence the idea of coming up with those two planes.

No spec-ops warfighter wants to go around behind enemy lines with a paint scheme that makes him stick out in the open like a sore thumb.

*sighs*

I'd like to see some more ideas. :) Maybe I'll start with VFA-25 "Fist of the Fleet" and the classic "toilet" payload.

Kind of reminds me of the 92nd SOFS (Special Operations Fighter Squadron) paintscheme I did of the VF-22 (VF/A-22E Varient as listed on the image) about 3 years ago... Albeit nowhere near as good in quality as the lineart that's being done lately by fans, it was an attempt at a low-vis paintscheme (for Space/High Atmosphere usage). Bare in mind this was 3 years ago that I made this one. Nowhere near "quality," albeit the basic paintscheme is where I continued inspiration for my work on the VF-27 Lucifer "Kurisu" varient that I've posted images of.

post-8055-0-61371100-1307662873_thumb.jpg

Very nice designs guys. Just a noob question. I don't know much about squadron names but I was reading up on the US Navy and I understand now that the V in "VF" refers to fixed wing aircraft (as opposed to helicopters) and the F stands for fighter squadrons. So where does the "S" in the "SVF" come from for the UN Spacy squadrons? My first though is it refers to space but is that right?

Also, what the heck is the VF-10 Super Cutlass?

Edited by Raptor One

Very nice designs guys. Just a noob question. I don't know much about squadron names but I was reading up on the US Navy and I understand now that the V in "VF" refers to fixed wing aircraft (as opposed to helicopters) and the F stands for fighter squadrons. So where does the "S" in the "SVF" come from for the UN Spacy squadrons? My first though is it refers to space but is that right?

Also, what the heck is the VF-10 Super Cutlass?

You're right, it is space.

As for the VF-10 Super Cutlass, that's a name I gave the VF-X-10 design Kawamori before he designed the VF-9 Cutlass for an RPG. In the RP world it's supposed to be a larger follow-on to the VF-9 in a similar vein as the F-18E/F Super Hornet. I keep forgetting I should probably remove it.

For tonight, I present to you guys, this time for a change...

TJ81Sl.jpg

Originally, I wanted to go as close as possible to the original VFA-192 CAG bird while trying to follow the paint schemes in the data file, but decided to combine several versions. This after I stumbled on a curious Minmay sticker in the book section on the MW main site, and liked it.

OBTW, Vince Arkady was one of the principal characters -- a Navy SAH-66 chopper jock -- in the naval warfare novel "Choosers of the Slain" by James Cobb.

Edited by soul.assassin

For tonight, I present to you guys, this time for a change...

TJ81Sl.jpg

Originally, I wanted to go as close as possible to the original VFA-192 CAG bird while trying to follow the paint schemes in the data file, but decided to combine several versions. This after I stumbled on a curious Minmay sticker in the book section on the MW main site, and liked it.

OBTW, Vince Arkady was one of the principal characters -- a Navy SAH-66 chopper jock -- in the naval warfare novel "Choosers of the Slain" by James Cobb.

ok, THAT caused a erection.... :lol:

Finally pretty much finished the YF-24-2 Evolution line art. This is based on the Master File one, with additional detailing, some cleanup, cockpit interior, etc added. I'm going to be using it as a base for my production VF-24A Evolution, as well as the rest of that family. There's some minor details that are missing, but I'll get around to adding those later.

post-5201-0-41904600-1308179800_thumb.jpg

Edited by Talos

Ah, the prototype! :D

I'm taking a bit of some time to correct mistakes in previous renders, using some new references at hand. In addition, I'm trying to create a standardized template PSD that allows for a greater number of combinations and extended customization, while keeping some common elements intact.

Also... With the data file on the Messiah, there's a good page in which how the standardized modex and bureau numbers, and precautionary labels are made and placed accordingly.

Edited by soul.assassin

Ah, the prototype! :D

I'm taking a bit of some time to correct mistakes in previous renders, using some new references at hand. In addition, I'm trying to create a standardized template PSD that allows for a greater number of combinations and extended customization, while keeping some common elements intact.

I finished most of the drawing needed for the production version a couple hours ago, but I want to get some gunpods done before I post it.

After examining the placement of labels and modex numbers in the VF-25 data file, I came up with this basic, low-visibility job:

CCdp1l.jpg

I'm also making corrections on the earlier works, and have to plan carefully when placing the Armor Pack and FAST Pack options, as these will take time to draw.

OBTW, this is the template PSD that I can allow for everyone to expand on (fonts used: Gotham, Helvetica LT CondensedBlack, AmarilloUSAF, USAAF_Serial_Stencil and USAAF_Stencil) and let their imaginations go wild:

http://www.mediafire.com/?ddnqqqpp3ucfdd0

:)

Edited by soul.assassin

• 4 weeks later...

After examining the placement of labels and modex numbers in the VF-25 data file, I came up with this basic, low-visibility job:

I'm also making corrections on the earlier works, and have to plan carefully when placing the Armor Pack and FAST Pack options, as these will take time to draw.

OBTW, this is the template PSD that I can allow for everyone to expand on (fonts used: Gotham, Helvetica LT CondensedBlack, AmarilloUSAF, USAAF_Serial_Stencil and USAAF_Stencil) and let their imaginations go wild:

http://www.mediafire.com/?ddnqqqpp3ucfdd0

:)

Looks great, s.a!

Here's a small update to my VF-9 I've been working off and on for a while. Still a /lot/ of work that needs to be done. The VF-1 seat is a stand-in for now. I'm going to tweak it, probably recline it some, in the final cockpit.

vf9f.th.jpg

Talos might wanna check your link. i had a virus alert pop up from looking at your pic...

It's Imageshack, you probably just got one of their advertising pop-ups. The link is clean, I just double-checked it.

Edited by Talos

• 2 weeks later...

Offtopic: does anyone here use Google Sketchup? Trying it out so that I might use it for work. Besides, I stumbled upon Kazu's creations and my eyes popped out like marbles:

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=97eb9cf6c8a11a389967b23b351d6841

Ontopic: been too busy lately.

Edited by soul.assassin

• 2 weeks later...

Finally finished my VF-11 gunpod. I used the one in Macross Chronicles as a starting point since it had the best shape, incorporated some additional details from the line art and tweaked some shapes to match it closer, and added the bayonet completely.

EDIT: And finished the GU-11 and GPU-9.

post-5201-0-76745100-1312999850_thumb.jpg

post-5201-0-55392300-1313007744_thumb.jpg

post-5201-0-32732800-1313017853_thumb.jpg

Edited by Talos

• 1 month later...

Long time, no see. Actually I go online once in a while, three times every week. But anyway, this here was based on a very interesting milestone back in the Vietnam War: CDR Stoddard's famous VA-25 Toilet Bomb!

th_VF25TRACE_50_SVFA25_TOILET.jpg

As a bonus, did this too (it's okay if you want to print it as a decal):

th_gerpatch02.png

Edited by soul.assassin