Bandai 1/60 Scale DX Toy Thread Ver.7

logos

Yep, didn't mean to be a dick guys. You've both perfectly outlined what I was saying. The toy has some faults that people have pointed out (myself included). The toy also has some fans and the fact it sold as well as it did and doesn't have droves of people picking up pitchforks must mean that there are plenty of satisfied people out there. So, the OP needs to weigh BOTH sets of data and make a decision. Relying only on a few people pointing to the faults of the toys they own would be just as wrong as assuming because it sold so well and so few people are complaining that it must be great. I was just advising the OP to consider both things instead of the opinions of a few people who obviously aren't happy with the final product. Ultimately buying a cheap used toy is almost always the best way to go for someone who has some time to make their decision and can find a source who didn't thrash the toy (MW is usually very good for that).

Very very true. I got my first one used from someone here, and my second one new.

One thing to remember about the DX-25 is that different people will like or dislike different aspects of it.

Personally, I'm an aircraft nut. If the plane looks ugly, doesn't look like it would fly, or severely mangles a good design, it's going to outweigh any sturdyness or decent functionality in robot mode. The fighter mode of the DX-25 is VERY different from the models, which look like they were ripped directly from the computer models used in the show. In this case, I place accuracy to the original design first, so I was disappointed in the approach they took.

Overall though, I think a lot of the hate comes from the fact that many of us KNOW Bandai can do much better in terms of accuracy. The DX VF-27 is much more along the lines of what people expected with the DX VF-25. We expected Bandai to try and compete with the standard Yamato had set in the high-end collectible toy Valkyrie game. In the end.. they kind of brought a football to Yamato's tennis match. :blink:

DX Joints: Anyone find a root cause to spontaneous joint atrophy? Mine sit on a shelf. One on a stand and one free standing. both have looser joints despite not having been touched.

I'm wondering if this has to do with the plastic? Has it shrunk over time? I'm assuming there is no nylon involved (which can shrink in dry environments and swell in humid ones), so what gives? I've not taken the time to examine the joints myself. Anyone have decent fixes for the hip joints being loose? shoulders also? I'm not home so i can't look at it now but i'd be ecstatic if someone told me there is a screw to tighten or if the joint could be taken apart and reassembled with added "goop" (nail polish, superglue etc.).

DX Joints: Anyone find a root cause to spontaneous joint atrophy? Mine sit on a shelf. One on a stand and one free standing. both have looser joints despite not having been touched.

I'm wondering if this has to do with the plastic? Has it shrunk over time? I'm assuming there is no nylon involved (which can shrink in dry environments and swell in humid ones), so what gives? I've not taken the time to examine the joints myself. Anyone have decent fixes for the hip joints being loose? shoulders also? I'm not home so i can't look at it now but i'd be ecstatic if someone told me there is a screw to tighten or if the joint could be taken apart and reassembled with added "goop" (nail polish, superglue etc.).

I don't have a DX so I don't exactly know what the cause is. My guess would be that there is some kind of mold release left on and thus doesn't allow any friction.

However, with regards to loose joints, I've found that for most toys, dropping a teeny bit of superglue into a joint will fix things up. Just apply a bit of superglue and move the joint around for a few seconds while the glue starts to harden.

I don't have a DX so I don't exactly know what the cause is. My guess would be that there is some kind of mold release left on and thus doesn't allow any friction.

However, with regards to loose joints, I've found that for most toys, dropping a teeny bit of superglue into a joint will fix things up. Just apply a bit of superglue and move the joint around for a few seconds while the glue starts to harden.

all of the joints in question are metal balls inside metal sockets, with small pieces of plastic embedded in the sockets to provide friction. the plastic insert is a light purple color and feels like some sort of hard rubber. I wouldn't be surprised if it has undergone some settling over time.

Personally, I prefer to take the toys apart, put a thin ring of superglue around the circumference of the ball, then let it dry before putting it back together.

all of the joints in question are metal balls inside metal sockets, with small pieces of plastic embedded in the sockets to provide friction. the plastic insert is a light purple color and feels like some sort of hard rubber. I wouldn't be surprised if it has undergone some settling over time.

Personally, I prefer to take the toys apart, put a thin ring of superglue around the circumference of the ball, then let it dry before putting it back together.

Nope, I have joint atrophy on plastic/plastic joints as well, like the elbows. The shield/arm peg also requires noticeably more force to get it to secure now than when I first received it.

There's something going on with the plastic.

• 2 weeks later...

I just received a VF-27 for x-mas, which made me want to take my VF-25 Alto down off the shelf it's been sitting on for about a year. DISSAPOINTMENT!! The Alto has YELLOWED! I've kept it far out of direct sunlight. It was very dusty (which I cleaned with some tap water and paper towels). Only some of it yellowed; the very tip of the airframe nose, the arms, some of the nacels around the hip area.

I just can't believe this. My Yamato VF-1S also shows a tiny amount of discoloration, but that was after 5 years, and the change was TINY in comparison. Is anyone else seeing this? I've also got some joint floppiness (which I don't remember from the last time I touched this toy)

Oh well, guess I have an excuse to buy a Luca or Michel :)

I just received a VF-27 for x-mas, which made me want to take my VF-25 Alto down off the shelf it's been sitting on for about a year. DISSAPOINTMENT!! The Alto has YELLOWED! I've kept it far out of direct sunlight. It was very dusty (which I cleaned with some tap water and paper towels). Only some of it yellowed; the very tip of the airframe nose, the arms, some of the nacels around the hip area.

I just can't believe this. My Yamato VF-1S also shows a tiny amount of discoloration, but that was after 5 years, and the change was TINY in comparison. Is anyone else seeing this? I've also got some joint floppiness (which I don't remember from the last time I touched this toy)

Joint floppiness happens in no time, it got to my VF-25S in within the span of just a few months. I hate loose joints.

Do you use Compact Fluoroscent bulbs? Those put out alot of UV too. I do use CF bulbs so I keep my stuff (the white valks anyway) behind glass (which naturally has a a decent amount of UV protection and these are factory "dipped" greenish so some visible light is cut too. Haven't had any yellowing yet on the DX VF-25's or yamatos.

Do you use Compact Fluoroscent bulbs? Those put out alot of UV too. I do use CF bulbs so I keep my stuff (the white valks anyway) behind glass (which naturally has a a decent amount of UV protection and these are factory "dipped" greenish so some visible light is cut too. Haven't had any yellowing yet on the DX VF-25's or yamatos.

I am the same way. I use 100w equivalent CF bulbs, but I have the light reflecting off the walls and ceiling rather than shining directly on anything. I keep most of my macross collection particularly anything white in the glass display cases. A lot of my 1/48s are around 7 or 8 years old now and there's no hint of yellowing yet.

I kept the VF-25 up on a very tall book shelf. I do use CF bulbs, but they are far below the VF and it pretty much sat in the shadows. Very dissapointing. I'll see if I can take a decent photo (the color difference is subtle) and post it; What's interesting is that only specific bits of yellowed, not the whole thing. It's not a gradual fall of either; The nose tip is VERY yellow compared to the rest of the forward fuselage.

Hey guys i was wondering with the re release of alto and the new version for the tornado michael what are your thoughts on whether or not bandai will re release an armored ozma or dx luca as i missed them the 1st time around ??

Thanks in advance

Edited by HEY BOYS

Sorry for being such a noob guys, but how in the world do you clean the mold release oil stuff off of the DX valk without damaging any of the paints or decals? And how in the world do you do it so that all of the surfaces on the toy are clean? I just don't want to damage or rub of any of the paint applications....

Sorry for being such a noob guys, but how in the world do you clean the mold release oil stuff off of the DX valk without damaging any of the paints or decals? And how in the world do you do it so that all of the surfaces on the toy are clean? I just don't want to damage or rub of any of the paint applications....

Just lightly wipe it down with a slightly damp soft lint-free cloth.

Sadly, I have given up all hope of ever seeing a DX 1/60 scale VF-171/VF-171EX from Bandai.

Hopefully Yamato is able to get the Frontier licence sometime in the next 3-5 years.

Graham

I told myself to not buy any Macross Dx line valks until it gets re-tooled by bandai or yamato gets this license and I'm still hoping Yamato would go back to the Macross zero line.

Hi, I'm a new guy here. So glad I found this forum. I've been interested in DX VF-25G Michael but I've been holding myself to get one for some issues..

I do have 1/72 Kit Alto Custom. I did enjoyed building the kit with all the weathering and washing. But yeah.. I broke the neck connector at the first transformation and then broke the front landing gear door at the second transformation. But that's not the issue for DX.

My point is on gerwalk mode where the legs cannot spread apart (no swivel join on thigh like VF-1) and it makes the gerwalk stands awkwardly.

I noticed from some webs that the DX for all VF-25 has the same issues while for VF-27 this issuess has already improved (is it?)

Now I'm waiting for VF-25G Tornado. So what can be the difference in this tornado release? will it be the same mold, transformation or just different painting?

will the gerwalk legs improved with swivel joints?

Thing is, Bandai had already engineered a very accurate VF-25---in 1/72 scale. The 1/60 is so inferior, it's mind-boggling. Toy vs model alone doesn't explain the differences, especially in the face of the VF-27.

Do you think we have any hopes of a newly deigned VF-25? One that is on par with the 1/72 or the VF-27 toy? I hope so, but doubt it. Even if Ban Dai took the risk of spending the $$ to do that, I think original owners would be pretty pissed. Kinda like what CM's did to those who purchased the original Legioss/Tread sets! There were many issues with those sets, and CM's issued modified bonus parts to help "fix" said issues, but they were only available to those who re-buy the toy!

I really want to love that 25, I really do. But for me, the price just doesn't account for all the issues it has. I keep holding out in hopes they get remade. But I'm starting to doubt they will.

Edited by ae_productions

Hi, I'm a new guy here. So glad I found this forum. I've been interested in DX VF-25G Michael but I've been holding myself to get one for some issues..

I do have 1/72 Kit Alto Custom. I did enjoyed building the kit with all the weathering and washing. But yeah.. I broke the neck connector at the first transformation and then broke the front landing gear door at the second transformation. But that's not the issue for DX.

My point is on gerwalk mode where the legs cannot spread apart (no swivel join on thigh like VF-1) and it makes the gerwalk stands awkwardly.

I noticed from some webs that the DX for all VF-25 has the same issues while for VF-27 this issuess has already improved (is it?)

Now I'm waiting for VF-25G Tornado. So what can be the difference in this tornado release? will it be the same mold, transformation or just different painting?

will the gerwalk legs improved with swivel joints?

well, bandai will not make any changes for DX, all new for VF-25G Tornado is the blue tornado pack, nothing more! Gerwalk mode of VF-25 and VF-27 is very bad design, hardly standing still, though VF-27 improved a little, not good enough. if you like DX VF-25G, just buy it, bandai will not make any change recently, or wait for DX VF-25 series 2.0.

You're probably smart to wait for the Tornado VF-25G but I suspect it's just a reissue of the exist toy, no real design improvements.

Is it the same case with Tornado Alto, same mold, same transformation with the first release? oh well...

well, bandai will not make any changes for DX, all new for VF-25G Tornado is the blue tornado pack, nothing more! Gerwalk mode of VF-25 and VF-27 is very bad design, hardly standing still, though VF-27 improved a little, not good enough. if you like DX VF-25G, just buy it, bandai will not make any change recently, or wait for DX VF-25 series 2.0.

I've read several times about this series 2.0. is it just rumor or there will be 2.0?

Thanks for the response.

The VF-25F Alto Tornado did have tighter joints and a tighter crotch lock, a darker gunpod and a coloured SMS stand, so yes, it was a small improvement on the original Alto VF-25F. IIRC, some of the grey parts (hands& lasers(?)) were a bit darker as well.

I expect the VF-25G Michael Tornado to have the same changes.

Graham

Has anybody else suffered any yellowing of their DX VF-25F Alto?

Just noticed the other day, that my first-edition VF-25F Alto, which has been sitting in my display cabinet in fighter mode with Super Packs fitted, has started to yellow in certain areas. The white plastic of the lower legs and also the plane's belly area (part with the crotch lock) and some of the screw-hole covers are now a significantly different (yellower) shade of white.

I bought this VF-25F when it was first released and it has pretty much been sitting in my display cabinet the whole time. My display cabinet is in my study (computer room), although the room has a window, it's located on a side of the house that doesn't get the sun. Also, my display cabinet sides are wood and the cabinet is at 90 degrees to the window, so even if direct sunlight enterd the window, it won't shine direcctly on the cabinet.

So far my much newer DX VF-25F Tornado in the same cabinet doesn't seem to have yellowed.

Graham

I don't own a VF-25, but on the Animate store in Monkok I noticed the one they have on display has yellowed pretty badly through the months (years?). Their display cabinet is definitely out of the reach of sunlight, but under the UV of fluorescent lights, so that may be the cause. Nevertheless, other white toys also displayed there don't seem to be as badly discoulored.

Hmm, I took my tornado set alto set out of the box for the first time in months (had been on "display" in a room that gets used maybe 4-5 days a month so no real light is let in ) for a few months prior to that. I'm not sure if its me or if has lost some of its "whiteness". Certain parts appear to be different shades of white than others. Some with a greyish blue tinge almost? Not sure if its because I haven't seen it in a while or if its because my room's lights are more white than in the old room, but it just doesn't feel as white as i remembered. Perhaps after handling a TV VF-1S from yamato the prior day (which is pristine white still) has affected my judgement?

Edited by Mechapilot77

I am seeing a difference in the shades of white on my original VF-25 Alto but nothing major yet. I would use my Tornado Alto as a comparison but I think that was a "Brighter" white from the start.

Yellowing on toys is very frustrating.

A few of my vintage toys have that yellow oxidation.

No one seems to know much about it.

On a few boards that I often visit, this is the advice that was given about this issue.

1. Keep they away from sunlight.

2. If you smoke, don't smoke near your toys.

Well, I'm not a smoker and my vintage toys were in a dark storage box. So...how did they still turn yellow?

Is there any other preemptive measures that can be done to deal with yellowing on plastic?

From what I have been able to gather, this only happens to white plastic.

Does anyone else have any other pointers or know anything more about this?

There have been some excellent threads on yellowing here on MW, maybe someone can dig them up for you. The advice above for avoiding it is sound but it also has to do with the quality of the plastic. Plastic degrades over time so plastic that isn't made just right will break down quicker and show yellowing. Temperature changes, sun light (or hot display lamps), and a host of other things help speed up the process. If you keep things in a dry, dark, cool environment you're doing your best but you'll find some toys are still going to yellow.

The Bandai VF-25 toys look really different under different lights... if you're not sure it has yellowed it probably is just that you're looking at it under different lights. The Tornado definitely has a different shade of white than the first release (I actually prefered the white of the first release). Jury is definitely still out on how bad these toys are when it comes to yellowing but it's definitely safe to say they're not immune to it (as no toy is).

Edited by jenius

Has anybody else suffered any yellowing of their DX VF-25F Alto?

Just noticed the other day, that my first-edition VF-25F Alto, which has been sitting in my display cabinet in fighter mode with Super Packs fitted, has started to yellow in certain areas. The white plastic of the lower legs and also the plane's belly area (part with the crotch lock) and some of the screw-hole covers are now a significantly different (yellower) shade of white.

I bought this VF-25F when it was first released and it has pretty much been sitting in my display cabinet the whole time. My display cabinet is in my study (computer room), although the room has a window, it's located on a side of the house that doesn't get the sun. Also, my display cabinet sides are wood and the cabinet is at 90 degrees to the window, so even if direct sunlight enterd the window, it won't shine direcctly on the cabinet.

So far my much newer DX VF-25F Tornado in the same cabinet doesn't seem to have yellowed.

Graham

See my post from a few days ago -- My white Alto has turned VERY yellow after just sitting out in the open for < 2 years. It was kept on a very high book shelf, out of the way of direct in a very dark part of my living room. No smoke or anything else in the air to discolor it, either than typical NYC air. VERY disappointing. It's different shades of yellow on each part. Clearly its made of several different sorts of plastic (or perhaps the same plastic treated or processed differently). You can see a very clear different in how each part has yellow.

I guess I should post some pictures...

My VF-25F turned yellow at some area, but I kept my VF-25F in the box the whole time (not good enough for display). No sunlight at all.

Not the first time I've heard (or seen)of Bandai toys yellowing even in the box.

I used to have some variable V-Gundam toys that were never taken out of the box and stored under my bed that were almost completely yellow, when I took them out a couple of years later. Very disappointing.

Graham

Very disturbing, Since they were in the box, no light, hence no UV.

Could it be oxidation of the plastic?

I could understand a deterioration due to a cleaning solution reacting with the plastic yet again never left the box so doubt they would have needed cleaning.

Need a chemist to determine what compound is deteriorating/venting from those particular formulas of plastic.

Since my Alto Super pack version has never left the box, wonder what it looks like.

Very disturbing, Since they were in the box, no light, hence no UV.

Could it be oxidation of the plastic?

I could understand a deterioration due to a cleaning solution reacting with the plastic yet again never left the box so doubt they would have needed cleaning.

Need a chemist to determine what compound is deteriorating/venting from those particular formulas of plastic.

Since my Alto Super pack version has never left the box, wonder what it looks like.

i might be wrong about this, but i think it has something to do with the manufacturing process. could it be the plastic injection molding process is running at a higher load, meaning the cooling process of the plastic wasn't done long enough, thus leads to the shrinking of the plastics or change in the physio-chemical structure of the plastics after the plastics kinda settled down after a period of time.