Bandai 1/60 Scale DX Toy Thread Ver.7

logos

Well since the previous thread went to the "Super Hall" I guess I'll restart this one.

Did anyone give confirmation of their Tornado's shipping yet? AmiAmi asked for payment on mine (as they have it in stock now I think) on the weekend and I broke down and finally approved the paypal yesterday. Still nothing saying that it shipped.

Oh and all of yous located in Asia......did you get it yet? Post pics now! :lol:

Edited by logos

I thought about that too. Should we split into VF-25 and VF-27 threads? Though do we really have much overlap in discussion? We just had Brera, now we're talking about the Tornado pack. Next will probably be Grace's. There's way too many VF-25 variants to try to split them up, and there's not going to be very many VF-27's--and Grace's will likely be PURELY a repaint of Brera's, with little to talk about.

IMHO, one generic "1/60 DX Frontier toys" thread is sufficient. Now maybe if we start getting VF-171 toys or something we might need a split, but not now.

So guys, I need help...

I'm willing to buy the DX VF-25S Armored Ozma, after seeing cracked wing hinges should I buy it or pass?

I still think Armored Ozma is too cool to pass :(

I wrote a review complete with video

in short neither the base toy nor the armor are really outstanding and putting it all together is barely satisfying.

Mine just sits on the shelf in full armor because the joints are too loose now to do anything with the toy.

So guys, I need help...

I'm willing to buy the DX VF-25S Armored Ozma, after seeing cracked wing hinges should I buy it or pass?

I have it, I wouldn't recommend it unless you plan on it just sitting on a shelf. The basic toy wasn't designed to accommodate the armor and with it on it's a fiddly mess.

A few months on, with it having done nothing but hang limply off it's stand, several joints are now loose, the elbows, hips and one of the ankle locks. Picking up the toy causes the legs to swing freely and the arms can barely support their own weight. With the armor on and standing on it's own, the toy will slump to one side as the ankle lock fails.

I thought about that too. Should we split into VF-25 and VF-27 threads? Though do we really have much overlap in discussion? We just had Brera, now we're talking about the Tornado pack. Next will probably be Grace's. There's way too many VF-25 variants to try to split them up, and there's not going to be very many VF-27's--and Grace's will likely be PURELY a repaint of Brera's, with little to talk about.

IMHO, one generic "1/60 DX Frontier toys" thread is sufficient. Now maybe if we start getting VF-171 toys or something we might need a split, but not now.

I would think at least the VF-27 should get it's own thread because it's an entirely different valk than the VF-25's that are clustered here and talked about. With 7 versions of this super thread, you'd think that dedicated threads for each toy might have been a better route. there wouldn't have to have been so many super threads that are now archived with tons of great images and news of each of these releases that someone would have to sort through in order to find info on 1 particular valk they want to talk about.

I just don't understand the logic for these super threads. It's a total pain to sort through and organize. If allowed, i could create dedicated thread for each valk. It'll only take a second. I can link old images for each thread so people can see what toy they are talking about. and we wouldn't need DX 1/60 thread version 8,9, and 10 down the line

Well since the previous thread went to the "Super Hall" I guess I'll restart this one.

Did anyone give confirmation of their Tornado's shipping yet? AmiAmi asked for payment on mine (as they have it in stock now I think) on the weekend and I broke down and finally approved the paypal yesterday. Still nothing saying that it shipped.

Oh and all of yous located in Asia......did you get it yet? Post pics now! :lol:

I just payment request today but it was because of some stands that had not been released. Hopefully it goes over the course of the night.

So guys, I need help...

I say GO BUY IT! Yes, the figure has its flaws, but what Valkyrie toy doesn't? Buying the Armored Messiah reminded me of 10 years ago, when I got Yamato's first Macross offering - the 1/72 YF-19. It chipped paint all over and had that faulty fuselage tab, but who cares? I still have it proudly displayed on my shelf.

So yeah, the Armored Messiah is a tad fiddly with its parts, but it's still an awesome display piece.

i managed to tighten the hips by tightening the screw at the back of the hip/intake block. haven't tried removing the screw so i don't know if the 2 halves are glued together or not... as for the elbows, there's also a screw for tightening it up but it sorta can get loose again when you start moving the elbow joints again too much. :mellow:

I say GO BUY IT! Yes, the figure has its flaws, but what Valkyrie toy doesn't? Buying the Armored Messiah reminded me of 10 years ago, when I got Yamato's first Macross offering - the 1/72 YF-19. It chipped paint all over and had that faulty fuselage tab, but who cares? I still have it proudly displayed on my shelf.

So yeah, the Armored Messiah is a tad fiddly with its parts, but it's still an awesome display piece.

I agree it looks nice all armored up :)

_DSC9688.jpg

So guys, I need help...

In fighter mode, it's a good and relatively unfrustrating toy if you leave the forearm packs off. Getting the foream packs to stay on in Fighter mode is an effort in frustration.

In battroid mode, you will either have to use the display stand or use some sort of support under the boosters if you want it to stand by itself. My Armoured Ozma is completely unable to stand by itself now, without the crotch unlocking and/or the whole thing toppling backwards.

A coulple of other minor negatives: 1) It is quite lacking in tampo printed markings, this is especially noticable compared to the new Tornado pack which has loads of markings. 2) The missile boxes on the lower legs are missing the molded-in exhaust vent detail, which is strange, as Bandai got it right on the model kit and VF100s versions.

Graham

Thank all of you guys for your comments :)

Looks like I have to find something better to spend (However I am still a big fan of VF-25S Armored Ozma's mecha design)

perhaps you could wait and hope for the v2 release.. (if that ever happen).. but for me.. that skull in the back is a piece of art that i wouldn't pass

There is some rumbings about a Version 2.0 on Japanese boards...

Unknown what the exact source of the info is but supposedly a recent hobby mag has Bandai saying that the VF-25 toy is "1st generation", prompting speculation that there'll be a "2nd gen" DX. Supposedly Bandai wishes to redo the VF-25?

Who knows if it'll actually happen though.

Btw I heard Sheryl appears in a VF-171 in the movie. I suppose that increases the liklihood of it becoming a toy or model kit.

so we're keeping the discussion under the same thread?

I don't see myself buying any VF-25 unless they come up with a new sculpt, it is completely doable with the same basic mechanics of the VF-27, not sure if it makes financial sense for Bandai though.

In any case, Bandai needs to let go of the shiny plastic that hates paint...and also get the same paint Yamato is using: that thing is resilient to scratches. What Bandai makes up for sturdy engineering, it loses in paint quality to Yamato, as if painting was just an afterthought for the toy giant.

so we're keeping the discussion under the same thread?

I don't see myself buying any VF-25 unless they come up with a new sculpt, it is completely doable with the same basic mechanics of the VF-27, not sure if it makes financial sense for Bandai though.

In any case, Bandai needs to let go of the shiny plastic that hates paint...and also get the same paint Yamato is using: that thing is resilient to scratches. What Bandai makes up for sturdy engineering, it loses in paint quality to Yamato, as if painting was just an afterthought for the toy giant.

agree with that. and make the paint less glossy as well

I prefer consolodated threads. It's not like discussion on any of the DX toys generates a dozen new pages every day like some forums, even when they're new. Talk is generally so minimal that I rarely ever have to dig back even one page to catch up if I miss a day. Why have six threads with minimal comments getting spread out by lulls, when one thread with 120 comments is actually easier to follow and usually at the top of the list?

Even more so for the Hi-Metal line, although we seem to have multiple threads for those releases now.

If all else fails, a nice combo of "Search" and Control-F usually gets me where I need to go. :)

There is some rumbings about a Version 2.0 on Japanese boards...

Unknown what the exact source of the info is but supposedly a recent hobby mag has Bandai saying that the VF-25 toy is "1st generation", prompting speculation that there'll be a "2nd gen" DX. Supposedly Bandai wishes to redo the VF-25?

Who knows if it'll actually happen though.

Btw I heard Sheryl appears in a VF-171 in the movie. I suppose that increases the liklihood of it becoming a toy or model kit.

I honestly think that the "new features/improvements" seen on the DX VF-27 was their design team's way of testing out changes for inevitable use on a renewal DX VF-25(s). I just hope that if the design team does indeed make a 2.0, that the Tornado and heavy armor from the previous releases will still be compatible.

I prefer consolodated threads. It's not like discussion on any of the DX toys generates a dozen new pages every day like some forums, even when they're new. Talk is generally so minimal that I rarely ever have to dig back even one page to catch up if I miss a day. Why have six threads with minimal comments getting spread out by lulls, when one thread with 120 comments is actually easier to follow and usually at the top of the list?

Even more so for the Hi-Metal line, although we seem to have multiple threads for those releases now.

If all else fails, a nice combo of "Search" and Control-F usually gets me where I need to go. :)

That may be ok for the daily or weekly MW'ers, but still sucks for the occasional member that comes on every once in awhile to find out news about a specific toy, only the find it lumped on page 23 of a 40 page thread. This thread has 2-3 different conversations already about different valks and can already be split.

I'm getting to a point where i don't even look for toy news in these super threads. Now that most of the VF-25's and VF-27's have been released, there's not going to be a lot of discussion about them, but i still think at least there should be a VF-27 thread and VF-25's thread if not the least.

Is it too much to split the thread that much? Gonna create a VF-27 thread now and maybe a mod will take a few minutes to change this thread into a 1/60 DX VF-25 thread or something.

I'm not familiar enough with the 1/60 DXs to start new threads but shouldn't there be seperate VF-25 DX threads also? Maybe they should be split up by type or in Frontier's case each armor should warrant a new thread too. Just like original Macross mechs should be divided into A/S/J/D and the GBP would get it's own thread.

I honestly think that the "new features/improvements" seen on the DX VF-27 was their design team's way of testing out changes for inevitable use on a renewal DX VF-25(s). I just hope that if the design team does indeed make a 2.0, that the Tornado and heavy armor from the previous releases will still be compatible.

I hope not. The Full armor is crap. The way the forearm armor attaches breaks the transformation of the arm for fighter mode. The leg armor attachment is, frankly, dumb and the calf missile packs are missing the vent details, the whole thing is just lacking for details and I'm convinced that the way the leg armor pushes up on the wing gloves is causing those cracks in the back plate we were talking about in the previous thread.

Re: splitting into invidivual variants. No way IMHO. A VF-25 thread, and a VF-27 thread. There's going to be way too many variations of Alto's alone. Seriously, an Alto thread would probably be longer and larger than the Michael/Ozma/Luca/CF threads combined--which'd defeat the point---there'd still be one massive thread about Alto. And splitting into "accessory" variations would be a nightmare---super, armored, Gallia-IV, tornado, presumably revised super and revised armor, etc.

Also--agree with eugimon. We need all-new armor to go with a V2 VF-25. The whole reason the VF-25 is skinny, is so that it doesn't look so incredibly bulky with super packs or full armor----Bandai seems to have completely ignored that. Battroid mode is fat when it's stripped bare...

I agree it's a bit late to split up the VF-25 variants since there won't be much discussion on them at this point, but they should have each deserved their own thread. We do it for every other toy line except Bandai's efforts. Guess Yammies get more individual attention for each variant/release that goes out

I agree with that. There's not much chatter on here lately. I prefer to check 1 thread for all my 1/60 frontier news than a separate one for each... like a mass production VF-27 thread :p

But for a casual visitor, i can see why it's annoying to trace back a few pages to catch up

EDIT: typo

Edited by anotheran

The nightmare is searching for all this stuff. One big thread for all the armors, especially if there are that many variants is just ridiculous. I think it's easier for us mods to lock up threads once it gets too long but in any case you end up with the same amount of threads anyway. What number thread is this? 7? So there's 6 other threads that we have to catch up on without the luxury of searching the titles?