Aircraft Vs Super Thread VI

Nied

This is from the Dreamland Resort. A fellow by the name of Scot Tway posted a E-mail from his brother about the SR-71, figured everyone here would love it. We learn how slow the Blackbird can go. Since there is a constant break of every few words, i have word wrapped it and reset it so its not doing that. there was a minor spelling thing i also fixed. Enjoy

*snip*

A bit tl;dr, but stories about SR-71's are normally good... almost as good as the one about the navy pilot bragging about his speed, and then being ownd by the Blackbird :p , someone posted that one on the old thread.

First production representative F-35A (finally) get's a paint job. I was originally going to complain about how slow things seem to be going for the F-35 program (this plane was rolled out at the end of 2008 and first flew last November), but then I realized that this is the second F-35 milestone bit I've posted about this week and it's only Wednesday, so maybe I'm being overly pessimistic.

"Paint" isn't really a milestone, especially when it's the same as the all the others. I was expecting kind of an F-16 scheme or something. Not "gunship grey allover". (well, maybe not gunship--looks a bit light, but that IS one brightly lit area---maybe 36176?)

"Paint" isn't really a milestone, especially when it's the same as the all the others. I was expecting kind of an F-16 scheme or something. Not "gunship grey allover". (well, maybe not gunship--looks a bit light, but that IS one brightly lit area---maybe 36176?)

Apparently the actual milestone is that it finished ground testing and is ready for its flight test battery. I'm really curious whether this is going to be the final F-35 scheme (it is pretty close to the F-15E's color), or if service aircraft are going to get something like an F-16 or F-22 scheme. Since I doubt the Marines are planning on using F-15E schemes for their aircraft I have to think we'll see F-35s flying around in something else once their in line squadrons.

hmm... favorite part of F-35, definitely that single slab cockpit display.

Hope that screen is super-reliable, unlike my flat screen.

That big single piece touch-screen MFD always reminds me of something (with apologies to Mr. March for the hotlink).

Edited by Nied

hmm... favorite part of F-35, definitely that single slab cockpit display.

F-35_Cockpit_(Simulator)-1.jpg

Hope that screen is super-reliable, unlike my flat screen.

doesn't have to, it can be repaired if it can't it can be replaced like all other aircraft parts. just hope it has a nice heat tolerance unlike some other components in an other type of plane, make my job easier

Edited by Zentrandude

I forgot to mention this, but I think the photo is of the simulator, not the actual cockpit. Though a quick consultation with google reveals that the actual interfaces look very similar. Here is another better picture.

The red switch I think says says "Auto-Pitch" hehe... no idea maybe it has something to do with VTOL version lol... personally, I think the switch should read GERWALK.

You've probably heard this by now, but pretty much all commercial jet flying in the UK and Europe has been shut for the past day or so due to a huge cloud of volcanic ash darkening the skies, from an eruption in Iceland.

This has allowed the press to trot out perhaps the ultimate example of British understatement ever, from Captain Eric Moody on a British Airways flight that ran into one of these clouds back in 1982:

"Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control. I trust you are not in too much distress."

:)

Edited by F-ZeroOne

Not just commercial flights. Multiple Finnish Hornets have glass in their engines now from a morning training flight, while Mildenhall, Lakenheath, Spangdahlem, and Rammstein are closed.

(I still don't get why ANYONE even THINKS about flying near an ash cloud in this day and age when the exact location of the cloud is reported--everyone who tries regrets it later---it could cost millions to repair those Hornets if it's bad, and replacing 747 windshields aren't cheap--STAY AWAY FROM VOLCANOES)

You've probably heard this by now, but pretty much all commercial jet flying in the UK and Europe has been shut for the past day or so due to a huge cloud of volcanic ash darkening the skies, from an eruption in Iceland.

This has allowed the press to trot out perhaps the ultimate example of British understatement ever, from Captain Eric Moody on a British Airways flight that ran into one of these clouds back in 1982:

"Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control. I trust you are not in too much distress."

:)

I knew about it, but I read the wikipedia article on it yesterday. Amazing that they made it.

I have a jet related question for you guys. What is the purpose of the red stripes on the rear fuselage that were present on US military jets in the 70s before the low viz schemes came into play? Not all jets had them, and not all jets of a particular type had them either. Some F-4s and F-14s had them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:F-14_Tom..._TU-95_Bear.jpg

An example. Engine related?

That's where the first stage turbine is. Basically "don't stand next to the red line". (if an engine has problems, that's the most likely place to toss a blade through the nacelle--and through you)

Many airliners (especially 737s) have a similar line, indicating the "zone of how far back an engine can still suck you in, even if you're BEHIND the intake lip".

PS---F-14s never lost the stripe, it just changed color. (and it's in a different spot for the B/D versions as they have different engines)

That's where the first stage turbine is. Basically "don't stand next to the red line". (if an engine has problems, that's the most likely place to toss a blade through the nacelle--and through you)

Many airliners (especially 737s) have a similar line, indicating the "zone of how far back an engine can still suck you in, even if you're BEHIND the intake lip".

PS---F-14s never lost the stripe, it just changed color. (and it's in a different spot for the B/D versions as they have different engines)

That's what I was guessing. I wasn't sure, though, since it is so far back on the F-14. Why is it only on some jets, then? Or the F-4, where they didn't have it, then some had it, and then they removed it.

Anyone have any info regarding the actual first MiG kill of Vietnam on 9 April 1965 involving a VF-96 F-4? Apparently it was shot down and hushed up? I thought the famous VF-21 engagement later that year were the first kills. I know that the incident is in the Osprey book - which I plan on purchasing along with their 3 other Vietnam F-4 books - but cash is tight at the moment.

Just checked the Osprey book, here's a summary:

VF-96 F-4B, Showtime 602, flown by Murphy and Fegan. 4 F-4's were sent out from Ranger, but due to catapult issues etc they weren't all together. 3 *Chinese* MiG-17's spotted. F-4's mainly had to fight on their own. Only 3 F-4's came back, Showtime 602 didn't.

None of the 3 F-4's that came back got a hit (missiles *really* sucked that early in the war), but they did hear 602 report "out of missiles, RTB" and they saw a MiG-17 explode and go down. Had to be 602 that got him. Soon thereafter, radar controllers spotted a blip show up behind 602 as it was heading home, and 602 was never heard from again.

For many years this was never reported, because they were Chinese MiG-17's, not Vietnamese.

Your weekly piece of F-35 news. That's two production standard A models flying now, it's a damn shame the photo isn't from the other side, I'm curious to see what the gun port looks like.

Also here's a bonus article from Air & Space magazine about Lockmart's efforts to drop the extra weight of the B model. Very interesting read.

In other news it looks like Airbus is going to be bidding directly for the KC-X program again. While I like the A330 for aesthetic reasons and the bigger cargo load, I'm frankly just tired of the whole damn thing. Pick on or the other and start building it fer crisakes!

Edited by Nied

Apparently Global Hawks are going to be used to spy on our citizens too. One would think that you people think that we're up to something... :lol:

Where in the bloody blue did you get that carp? I work on GH and could it be used for that, yesz, will it, no, get your conspiracy junk out of here.

Where in the bloody blue did you get that carp? I work on GH and could it be used for that, yesz, will it, no, get your conspiracy junk out of here.

Refers to this article I think: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12...rror-cells.html

Though it's MI5 and GCHQ seeking to replace it's Brittan-Norman Islander planes with GH drones to monitor it's citizens.

Edited by Bri