What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v3.0

wolfx

yes thank you .... where do i get it. All I can find are songs for it.

Okay, now that's a question I don't have an answer for... if you are, as your profile says, in Hong Kong then I'm kind of at a loss for what to do about getting a copy. To be honest, I don't even know if the movies have a legit region-3 release. The three Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam: A New Translation movies were only released in the states back in June, so I don't know if they've been released out in your neck of the woods. You could try looking for a fansub if you're the impatient type, I know there are a few out there. Check your local video store in a pinch, I guess...:wacko:

With respect to the actual topic of the thread, I've been taking a break from mecha with some comedy. Finished watching Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou a while ago. Not a bad show, though not something that will stand out in the crowd as far as harem comedies go. I'm open to any suggestions for other shows to pursue if anyone feels like putting an idea forth.^_^

Edited by Seto Kaiba

With respect to the actual topic of the thread, I've been taking a break from mecha with some comedy. Finished watching Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou a while ago. Not a bad show, though not something that will stand out in the crowd as far as harem comedies go. I'm open to any suggestions for other shows to pursue if anyone feels like putting an idea forth.^_^

I'm sure we could recommend a few shows but a few likes/dislikes would help. Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou is fairly obscure title from the spring season, can I assume from that you've seen most of the more popular titles of the last few seasons?

Still faithful to Bleach...but aside from that I am re-watching Macross Frontier, second time around is so much better! :) I am also watching on the fly the first season of Black Lagoon. Even popped in the first couple of dvd's of the original Macross. The Mrs. is wondering where this anime fix is coming from.

I'm sure we could recommend a few shows but a few likes/dislikes would help. Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou is fairly obscure title from the spring season, can I assume from that you've seen most of the more popular titles of the last few seasons?

Some, not all... I'm pretty hit-and-miss when it comes to stuff that's only recently come out. Prior to that I was on a bit of a retro kick, catching up on old stuff I hadn't seen yet (Heavy Metal L-Gaim). My tastes are pretty broad, but I avidly dislike fanservice for fanservice's sake (like Queen's Blade, Strike Witches), and I'm not too fond of shows where the protagonist does an excessive amount of whining (e.g. Neon Genesis Evangelion, Eureka Seven). I don't really thrill to excessive moe (K-On) either. Other than that, I'll try pretty much anything.

Been on kind of a comedy kick of late, what with Seitokai no Ichizon, Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou, and my buddy Talos urging me to start watching Seitokai Yakuindomo, so some more serious robot-y goodness wouldn't hurt my feelings any.^_^

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Some, not all... I'm pretty hit-and-miss when it comes to stuff that's only recently come out. Prior to that I was on a bit of a retro kick, catching up on old stuff I hadn't seen yet (Heavy Metal L-Gaim). My tastes are pretty broad, but I avidly dislike fanservice for fanservice's sake (like Queen's Blade, Strike Witches), and I'm not too fond of shows where the protagonist does an excessive amount of whining (e.g. Neon Genesis Evangelion, Eureka Seven). I don't really thrill to excessive moe (K-On) either. Other than that, I'll try pretty much anything.

Been on kind of a comedy kick of late, what with Seitokai no Ichizon, Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou, and my buddy Talos urging me to start watching Seitokai Yakuindomo, so some more serious robot-y goodness wouldn't hurt my feelings any.^_^

Serious robot goodness? Oh boy… that has been in short supply the last decade. Decent examples other then the Sunrise/Satelight/Gainax works I can think off are Flag, Raxephon, FMP:TSR, Gunparade March and Rideback. Heroic Age isn't that bad either. None of these are very recent though.

Sci-fi had it a bit easier. A few recent shows I’d certainly recommend: Eden of the East, Canaan, Dennoh Coil, Gunslinger Girl, Ergo Proxy, Real Drive, these are near future, cyberpunk type shows. Bonen no Xamdou, FMA: Brotherhood, Last Exile: Alchemy/Steam punk. Birdy the Mighty Decode and Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari for some light hearted fun.

Fantasy: Seirei no Moribito, Kemono no Souja Erin, Haibane Renmei . None of these is particularly fast paced but the character development is excellent.

Mystery/Suspense: Kara no Kyou Kai, Durarara, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, Shikabane Hime, Mushi-Shi. The darker side of life.

Comedy/Romance: Kannagi, Bakemonogatari, Toradora, True Tears, Spice and Wolf. For visual novel adaptions: either Clannad or Kanon (2006) if you’ve seen one nakige/crying game show, you’ve seen them all. So it’s probably best to have seen the best of the genre first.

Edited by Bri

Serious robot goodness? Oh boy… that has been in short supply the last decade. Decent examples other then the Sunrise/Satelight/Gainax works I can think off are Flag, Raxephon, FMP: TSR and Rideback. None of these are that recent either.

I didn't say it had to be from the last decade, now did I? ;-)

The only one on that list I haven't really dug into yet is Rideback... mostly because the mechanical designs didn't really appeal. I didn't care for RahXephon either, but Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid was a little bit of terrific. So much so that it's one of the few shows I've gleefully shelled out for individual volumes instead of waiting for the box set. (I'm actually the one responsible for getting Robelwell202 into Full Metal Panic! too) If you've got some older stuff you wanna recommend, feel free. I'm certainly open to it. Had a grand time with L-Gaim, even tho it was kind of a mindf*ck having seen/read Five Star Stories first and essentially knowing how it was all going to end because Nagano reused that bit as a story arc in FSS.

I've heard good things about Birdy the Mighty: Decode, so I'll probably dig into that next. Thanks. ^^

(I'm also sorely tempted to finally get off my ass and finish the last Gundam show I've never seen... ∀ Gundam)

Edited by Seto Kaiba

(I'm actually the one responsible for getting Robelwell202 into Full Metal Panic! too)

This is me, trying to return the favor...

<Tapes a small hint onto the business end of a large sledgehammer>

Appleseed, and Appleseed: Ex Machina!!! (We've discussed this before, but I am not giving up.) B))

I didn't say it had to be from the last decade, now did I? ;-)

The only one on that list I haven't really dug into yet is Rideback... mostly because the mechanical designs didn't really appeal. I didn't care for RahXephon either, but Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid was a little bit of terrific. So much so that it's one of the few shows I've gleefully shelled out for individual volumes instead of waiting for the box set. (I'm actually the one responsible for getting Robelwell202 into Full Metal Panic! too) If you've got some older stuff you wanna recommend, feel free. I'm certainly open to it. Had a grand time with L-Gaim, even tho it was kind of a mindf*ck having seen/read Five Star Stories first and essentially knowing how it was all going to end because Nagano reused that bit as a story arc in FSS.

I've heard good things about Birdy the Mighty: Decode, so I'll probably dig into that next. Thanks. ^^

(I'm also sorely tempted to finally get off my ass and finish the last Gundam show I've never seen... ∀ Gundam)

IF you like real vampires and the Stephanie Meyer crap then watch the Hellsing ultimate ovas.

Rideback is more character/world development than mecha action.

Also obey Robelwell202 advice and watch Appleseed, and Appleseed: Ex Machina

Final thought whats the big hype about full metal panic?

Final thought whats the big hype about full metal panic?

Well, this'll come from an amateur's perspective, so bear with me.

There are several things about Full Metal Panic! that I really enjoy.

First, there's the mention of the mecha combat. While it doesn't dominate the series, there's enough in the show to give me what I'm looking for, and that's enough action to keep me interested. Albeit, the idea of the Lamda Driver is a bit over the top, especially when the show's set in something close to a Modern-Day setting, but it's not so overwhelming that it makes things completely absurd (Like, say, the GN-Everything from Gundam-00, another show I like, but to be honest, it does have it's flaws).

Second, the characters are tangible, in much the same way that the characters from 08th MS Team were.

Finally, the show's got a damn good ballance between slap-stick comedy and darker tones of the toll combat takes on a person. FMP? Fumoffu notwithstanding, the show's two seasons do carry a delicate ballance between care-free hishg-school life, and the darker, ore serious side of a professional soldier. This ballance is one of the show's more brilliant shining points, for me.

And, in closing, I'll just say that the Arm Slaves (The show's mecha) are exceptionally well done... at least, the ones on the good-guys' team.

Appleseed, and Appleseed: Ex Machina!!! (We've discussed this before, but I am not giving up.) B))

Already ordered 'em... but I cheaped out on shipping so they won't be here 'till next week.:p

IF you like real vampires and the Stephanie Meyer crap then watch the Hellsing ultimate ovas.

Already done so... got Volumes 1-4 in my collection already, and eagerly awaiting 5-7 since they've finally been licensed. I felt they were all quite well done, and really do an excellent job of following Hirano's art style, which goes a long way towards maintaining the distinctly creepy vibe that I think makes Hellsing such a great title.

Watching Bakemonogatari while I wait for the Code Geass R2 dvd's i ordered to arrive. Postal services these days!

To soon too pass judgement on Bakemonogatari, but I love the art and animation so far. And the Senjougahara character is very appealing. Almost like you want to know more about her.

Bakemonogatari is normally the kind of anime I don't like but the dialogue and interplay between the characters is amazing.

And Hitagi Senjougahara is one of the best written characters I've seen in anime.

"tsundere saaabisuu"

Now that I can watch Netflix Instantly on my TV, I've started Gurren Lagan. I'm beginning to see what everybody's been talking about. ^_^

Great show, I was thinking it would be just another silly, over the top, show till it takes a complete left turn (and then goes on to make a couple more)

[EDIT] - AND it managed to stay silly while being serious too. Even the English cast did a great job with it.

Edited by Dynaman

I watched the last episode of High School of the Dead, and it was just ridiculous. I dont think I can watch this anymore.

waahhh? You didn't like the bullet-time panty/boob sequence? blasphemy!

Over the top fan service aside I think it's a great show. Can't wait for next week.

lol i thought it was funny!! there were times I really thought the bullet would hit !!! lmao

Great show, I was thinking it would be just another silly, over the top, show till it takes a complete left turn (and then goes on to make a couple more)

[EDIT] - AND it managed to stay silly while being serious too. Even the English cast did a great job with it.

Say no more! I'm only like 6 episodes in!

Soon you'll find yourself wanting to pierce the heavens with your drill!!

Going through Code Geass R2 now and I have to say that even though it's very, very entertaining, it's not as good as the first season. The story is not nearly as compact and the new characters don't add much.

And what's up with stuff like Sayoko the maid being a ninja?? R'u kidding me??

Going through Code Geass R2 now and I have to say that even though it's very, very entertaining, it's not as good as the first season. The story is not nearly as compact and the new characters don't add much.

And what's up with stuff like Sayoko the maid being a ninja?? R'u kidding me??

Yes... she is a ninja-maido. That's pretty much all there is to it. :D