What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v3.0

wolfx

At the suggestion of a friend, I'm watching 'Full Metal Panic!' (Yeah, I know... I'm still playing catch-up), and I've got to say that it's better than I thought it would be.

The first FMP is okay, but it got a lot better when Kyoani did the sequels instead of Gonzo. I think that both FMP: Fumofu and FMP: TSR are really good.

The first FMP is okay, but it got a lot better when Kyoani did the sequels instead of Gonzo. I think that both FMP: Fumofu and FMP: TSR are really good.

I felt so too but only because I watched the 1s season thinking that there wasn't ever going to be a season 2. It felt like no closure and pacing was off. How does season 1 compare to the manga?

Okay... I've made it through episode 17 of FMP's first season, and I have to say I'm VERY impressed with it. While the comedy side of things is good, it's not really predictable in the usual sense. I find it somewhat refreshing, really.

On the other side of the coin, the Three-Part episode called 'The Wind Blows at Home' (I think) had a hell of a lot of impact to it. After it finished, I was left with a big 'whoa!' moment.

I'm pretty sure I can count this among my favorites.

Just started watching Eureka Seven. First episode was interesting.

Still have to get back to watching FMA:Brotherhood (first couple episodes were so close to FMA that I have not gotten round to more yet - but I know they diverge later on)

Okay... I've made it through episode 17 of FMP's first season, and I have to say I'm VERY impressed with it. While the comedy side of things is good, it's not really predictable in the usual sense. I find it somewhat refreshing, really.

On the other side of the coin, the Three-Part episode called 'The Wind Blows at Home' (I think) had a hell of a lot of impact to it. After it finished, I was left with a big 'whoa!' moment.

I'm pretty sure I can count this among my favorites.

yeah 'the wind blows at home' is a excellent 3 parter,good epic scenes like when one of the M9's gets absolutely obliterated lol.

I felt so too but only because I watched the 1s season thinking that there wasn't ever going to be a season 2. It felt like no closure and pacing was off. How does season 1 compare to the manga?

They are quite different. I've only read part of the Retsu Tateo manga. The manga is more like Fumofu, the humor is somewhat edgier. Haven't read the original light novel by Shouji Gatou.

Started watching Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040. Not sure what it has to do with bubblegum though.

As the saying goes they are ready to kick arse and chew gum and they are fresh out of gum so that's a bit of a crisis for the boomers :huh:

I've just finished Gundam Seed Destiny (better late than never I suppose) and whilst it was pretty good for the most part the constant flashbacks and rehash episodes started to wear a bit thin (it's been a while since I watched Seed but I didn't think it over did the flashbacks). IMHO the ending was way too rushed and a bit confusing. Why didn't they use some of the time wasted in the flashbacks and rehashes to make the ending better :unsure: I suppose they were trying to save money and pad the show out to 50 episodes <_< The extra final episode Chosen Future was a total waste of time until about 4 minutes to the end. Oh well on to either Gundam X, Turn A or Victory.

Fullmetal Panic: I enjoy the series, but sometimes it seems to me that it's really just an attempt to repackage Hero Yui from Gundam Wing in his own show. It works, especially the comedy bits, but even the Lambda drive seems very Zero system-ey

BGC 2040: If they hadn't ruined the Hardsuits later in the series, I probably would have liked it more. But all in all, if you want to watch a better animated BGC, I'd rather go for Burst Angel. Also not a great show, but more fun than 2040.

Edited by Keith

Started watching Code Geass. The character designs really don't appeal to me, but it get's consistently high review everywhere so I have to check it out and see what all the fuss is about

Started watching Code Geass. The character designs really don't appeal to me, but it get's consistently high review everywhere so I have to check it out and see what all the fuss is about

The character design are by Clamp, a group of female mangaka which are famous for their bishonen style commonly seen in manga aimed at girls. It's not my cup of tea either. The series targets a relatively mainstream/casual anime audience as it has a bit of everything, it mixes school life, mecha, magic, drama, romance and comedy. In many ways it's Gundam Wing/Seed on steroids estrogen as it's extremely popular with the yaoi crowd and shippers. As far as I can tell the show is less popular at forums that focus on mecha then with mainstream anime sites.

The high ratings follow from it's popularity and says less about it's quality. It one of those shows that fans love to push up the rankings as if it were a contest. And it certainly is popular:ANN recently announced that a third season will be made.

yeah marzan,I watched Code Geass when it was on tv,the characters didnt appeal to me either,I dont know why the series gets high ratings tho,there is some cool parts but overall its kinda meh imo.

Most people watched Code Geass because of its incredi-badness, more so for the second season. Aside from the Ninja-Maido and Agent Orange all the characters are fairly forgettable, titular character included.

The character design are by Clamp, a group of female mangaka which are famous for their bishonen style commonly seen in manga aimed at girls. It's not my cup of tea either. The series targets a relatively mainstream/casual anime audience as it has a bit of everything, it mixes school life, mecha, magic, drama, romance and comedy. In many ways it's Gundam Wing/Seed on steroids estrogen as it's extremely popular with the yaoi crowd and shippers. As far as I can tell the show is less popular at forums that focus on mecha then with mainstream anime sites.

The high ratings follow from it's popularity and says less about it's quality. It one of those shows that fans love to push up the rankings as if it were a contest. And it certainly is popular:ANN recently announced that a third season will be made.

Thanks for the info guys. I'll keep on going see what it's like. So far I have to say that despite the character designs the story has some promise (I love that the Brits are the bad guys!)! For the life of me though, I still don't get why every series has to have a high school setting at some point??

By the way

the Britannian Empire invades Japan on the 10th of august 2010. That's this tuesday so watch the news:D

Started and finished Working!! over the weekend, and I found it very enjoyable. Good thing I continued watching after the 1st ep (Poplar is annoying. If the rest of the series focused on her, I couldn't have taken it). Hoping for a second season.

My only complaint -- watching that series made me eat so damn much! I mean, i couldn't get past an episode without munching on something. How could I not, after watching Kyouko eat in every frickin scene? :angry:

By the way

the Britannian Empire invades Japan on the 10th of august 2010. That's this tuesday so watch the news:D

I'm sure Japan is already keeping its defenses ready. I just hope they realize that a real robot isn't gonna hack it for this invasion. Go for the big guns, Japan. Show us some Mazinger action! :p

I'm sure Japan is already keeping its defenses ready. I just hope they realize that a real robot isn't gonna hack it for this invasion. Go for the big guns, Japan. Show us some Mazinger action! :p

Oh, Japan is ready for Brittania - Knightmare Frames won't stand a chance against Gundam, EVA, Yamato, and Doraemon...

d574c052b46c3cb273af10b69327496f.jpg

(Src: http://blog-imgs-24-origin.fc2.com/g/i/f/gifjpg/misairu.jpg)

Edited by Ghost Train

[...] For the life of me though, I still don't get why every series has to have a high school setting at some point??

[...]

Probably because their main target audience is in high school or right after... Something like that :)

[...] I still don't get why every series has to have a high school setting at some point??

Probably because their main target audience is in high school or right after... Something like that :)

It's a bit different, the main audience is a bit older then the high school age, it mostly consists of young professionals/uni students (17-35ish) with plenty of disposable income (read: without spouses, kids and/or mortgages). It's not a cheap hobby.

In anime you never see characters in high school go through puberty, in essence they are adults placed in an idyllic setting. Individuals are not jaded by experience so friendship and romance are not affected by things like financial/career interests or social standing. Off course the setting bears little resemblance to the real world but it allows the viewer to escape from their daily lives to a glorified time of their past. College is less suited as only part of the audience would have these shared memories.

Oh, Japan is ready for Brittania - Knightmare Frames won't stand a chance against Gundam, EVA, Yamato, and Doraemon...

d574c052b46c3cb273af10b69327496f.jpg

(Src: http://blog-imgs-24-...pg/misairu.jpg)

Doraemon would be enough!:D

It's a bit different, the main audience is a bit older then the high school age, it mostly consists of young professionals/uni students (17-35ish) with plenty of disposable income (read: without spouses, kids and/or mortgages). It's not a cheap hobby.

In anime you never see characters in high school go through puberty, in essence they are adults placed in an idyllic setting. Individuals are not jaded by experience so friendship and romance are not affected by things like financial/career interests or social standing. Off course the setting bears little resemblance to the real world but it allows the viewer to escape from their daily lives to a glorified time of their past. College is less suited as only part of the audience would have these shared memories.

I like your reasoning.

HOTD ep 6....too much fanservice. Boobs grew when clothes were laid off. >.<

And a hadaka apron scene at the excuse of "no clothes that fit me".

Thanks for the info guys. I'll keep on going see what it's like. So far I have to say that despite the character designs the story has some promise (I love that the Brits are the bad guys!)! For the life of me though, I still don't get why every series has to have a high school setting at some point??

By the way

No Invasion news yet. Also you'll hate the ending

We all know they have Getter Robo hidden away. Possibly on the moon.

Yea, sometimes I think the excessive amount of titage (yea, I just made up that word) in what is now considered "mainstream animu" is a desperate attempt by the Japanese government to combat the fertility genophage.

With deformed ugly tittage? If anything it turns me off more to procreate. :/

We all know they have Getter Robo hidden away. Possibly on the moon.

Loved the ending, don't love the middle part with the whole "World of C" angle and whatnot weirdness. Also not enough expansion on the immortals backstory.

No work yesterday and the mrs. was visiting family so I was able to gobble up the remaining 10 Code Geass chapters i was missing in one go. Which means that I've enjoyed myself quite a bit with this series. Good storyline with lots of twists. Although every now and again its a tad forced with too many "convenient" plot devices. But a hell of a ride nonetheless.

And the ending. Talk about cliffhanger with Lelouch and Suzaku at the end...wow.. .Now of course I have to go out and get the 2nd season. I gather from some of the comments that some people are referring to stuff that happens in R2. I haven't got there yet. I really hope that the 2nd season was something that was planned from the beggining and that it ties up all the storylines floating all over the place.

I can't remember feeling as much contempt for a character as I do for Suzaku Kurugi. He takes being a 'Quisling' to a whole new level and I really was put off his strange and warped views on peace and collaboration. He deserves every bad thing that happens to him.

Lelouch on the other hand is one of the better anti-heroes I've seen in anime and I found myself cheering for him even though he does some quite despicable things.

I still don't like the male character designs, but the girls look pretty good to me:D

No work yesterday and the mrs. was visiting family so I was able to gobble up the remaining 10 Code Geass chapters i was missing in one go. Which means that I've enjoyed myself quite a bit with this series. Good storyline with lots of twists. Although every now and again its a tad forced with too many "convenient" plot devices. But a hell of a ride nonetheless.

And the ending. Talk about cliffhanger with Lelouch and Suzaku at the end...wow.. .Now of course I have to go out and get the 2nd season. I gather from some of the comments that some people are referring to stuff that happens in R2. I haven't got there yet. I really hope that the 2nd season was something that was planned from the beggining and that it ties up all the storylines floating all over the place.

I can't remember feeling as much contempt for a character as I do for Suzaku Kurugi. He takes being a 'Quisling' to a whole new level and I really was put off his strange and warped views on peace and collaboration. He deserves every bad thing that happens to him.

Lelouch on the other hand is one of the better anti-heroes I've seen in anime and I found myself cheering for him even though he does some quite despicable things.

I still don't like the male character designs, but the girls look pretty good to me:D

Yea it's S2 everyone is referring to. but the 1st season is really good.

WHERE THIS COME FROM,

The animation is awesome!

It says where it came from right in the video description... the first Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam: A New Translation compilation movie.

It says where it came from right in the video description... the first Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam: A New Translation compilation movie.

yes thank you .... where do i get it. All I can find are songs for it.