What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v3.0

wolfx

The latest OVA from 2010, Cobra The Animation, is really good compared to Time Drive and The Psychogun, though not as much as the old TV show.

Cobra The Animation is the one I am talking about... I don't think that's from 2010, though. It's older, probably from 2007 or 2008, I have to check. I remember I first saw it advertised in my favourite record shop in Kyoto, and that closed down two or three years ago.

Anyway, I found the first episode quite lacking and I didn't like the CG at all. I watched a little of episode 2 today, however, and it was OK.

But yeah, the old TV show is the best by far.

Edited by Renato

I thought Orguss 2 was pretty good all things considered.

But yeah, megazone part iii is probably the weakest of the Megazone. Having said that, it does provide some closure to the story, don't you think?

Yeah, Orguss 02 is OK. My point was that they all came out during a period of sequelitis epidemic.

As for Megazone, Part II was the end!! What more closure could you have wanted?? It's like those unwanted sequels that tell what happened after the original Votoms TV series' ending. There's no more drama in the endings to those sequels than in those of the originals. Actually, I guess the same could be said of Orguss 02.

As for Megazone, Part II was the end!! What more closure could you have wanted?? It's like those unwanted sequels that tell what happened after the original Votoms TV series' ending. There's no more drama in the endings to those sequels than in those of the originals. Actually, I guess the same could be said of Orguss 02.

Megazone 23 is very high on my "essential must see anime list". I agree with you that part III is the weakest and it really has nothing to do against I an II. But I tolerate it and can also enjoy it.

Metal Skin Panic Madox-01 and probaly Venus Wars are next after rewatching 0083 Stardust Memory :)

I loved megazone 23...well the first one, the second I couldn't get past a drastic change of everything and I had trouble figuring out what was happening and who was who for the first while. As for part 3 I remember watching it but I don't remember anything about it at all... so yea part 1 was kickass!

Re-watching Turn A gundam for the first time in 8 years last time I sat through it it was a HK copy and I could barely follow the plot and the kihel/Diana stuff its almost a whole new show watching it now :D

On another note after having just watched all of Ideon and now Turn A Gudnam the two title mechs are so similar it makes me wonder if Tomino wanted to recycle some Ideon material but with a much less...apocolyptic story.

I heard some persistent rumors that Tomino wanted to include Ideon in Turn A with all the other Gundam series, but no serious/verifiable sources confirmed this.

On the other hand, sources are scarce...

Cobra The Animation is the one I am talking about... I don't think that's from 2010, though. It's older, probably from 2007 or 2008, I have to check. I remember I first saw it advertised in my favourite record shop in Kyoto, and that closed down two or three years ago.

Anyway, I found the first episode quite lacking and I didn't like the CG at all. I watched a little of episode 2 today, however, and it was OK.

But yeah, the old TV show is the best by far.

There is three Cobra the Animation actually: Cobra the Animation: The Psychogun is from 2008 (I assume it's the one you watched), Cobra the Animation: Time Drive is from 2009 and Cobra the Animation, all short, is from 2010 –it's this last one which is the most faithful to the original TV series...

Edit: speaking of this one, its director has just passed away...

Edited by Gui

There is three Cobra the Animation actually: Cobra the Animation: The Psychogun is from 2008 (I assume it's the one you watched), Cobra the Animation: Time Drive is from 2009 and Cobra the Animation, all short, is from 2010 –it's this last one which is the most faithful to the original TV series...

Edit: speaking of this one, its director has just passed away...

Thanks for the info, I didn't know there were so many OVAs! OK, I will have to re-check, I have the DVD of the first episode of one of the new ones, I'm just not sure which one now.

And yeah, it REALLY sucks about Dezaki, I literally just heard about it earlier this afternoon. He was in hospital a while back last year, but he was much better this year, and it seems only a few weeks ago he had established a brand new studio, but now he's gone all of a sudden.

I was in a Family Mart convenience store shortly after I heard the news and by sheer coincidence noticed a lone "Best of Cobra" DVD so I picked it up, I guess it's kind of a way to pay my respects. RIP Dezaki-san. Seems all the greats are leaving us behind. :(

Megazone 23 is very high on my "essential must see anime list". I agree with you that part III is the weakest and it really has nothing to do against I an II. But I tolerate it and can also enjoy it.

Metal Skin Panic Madox-01 and probaly Venus Wars are next after rewatching 0083 Stardust Memory :)

man, i've got VHS and/or DVD copies of ALL of those, and they're among my favorites as well!! ^_^

Edited by Shaorin

In the past month, I have finished Fractale and Level E. I am currently watching Gundam 00 and have made it to season 2 Episode 3.

I'm also 3 episodes into Gundam Unicorn, and 4 episodes in to Broken Blade.

Yeah, Orguss 02 is OK. My point was that they all came out during a period of sequelitis epidemic.

I'll never watch those Votoms sequels. NEVER. Even though I'm a big fan of the original series. ^_^

Currently watching MariaHolic Alive. Worst OP theme song ever.

Yeah, Summer Wars is OK, not bad at all.

Gui, thanks again for all the info on the Space Adventure Cobra animations, I didn't realize there was another TV show broadcast last year. I checked the DVD I had, and you're right, it is "The Psychogun" OVA.

Anyway, here's the "Cobra: Best Selection" DVD I picked up yesterday. 4 episodes of the old TV show, 4 of the new one, and all for 1000 yen -- not bad at all. Gonna make my way through these over the next couple of weeks.

post-1318-0-90245200-1303203657_thumb.jpg

Watched Summer Wars yesterday. A tad corny, but pretty good nevertheless.

I liked it, but it reminded me of Digimon Our War Game. Loved the music, and like the song from the english trailer.

Edited by SkullLeaderVF-X

[...]

Gui, thanks again for all the info on the Space Adventure Cobra animations, I didn't realize there was another TV show broadcast last year. [...]

You're welcome: all the pleasure was mine ;)

Watching Durarara and it's really awesome, loving the show.

Also trying to watch death Note, and it's a struggle. Im like, 8 episodes from the end I guess (2 disks anyway) and I've kind of stopped caring completely.

I just finished Durarara. Man, what a twist in the plot near the end? Just when you though you are watching a show about a highschool love triangle, it suddenly changes into something unexpected near the last 7 episodes. Overall, it is an excellent show.

Can't believe the voices for Kida, Izaya, Erika and Kadota in the show are exactly the same as Setsuna, Tieria, Feldt, Graham Aker from Gundam 00.

I liked it, but it reminded me of Digimon Our War Game. Loved the music, and like the song from the english trailer.

I get this: "The uploader has not made this video available in your country.

Sorry about that."

:wacko::angry:

Anyway, here's the "Cobra: Best Selection" DVD I picked up yesterday. 4 episodes of the old TV show, 4 of the new one, and all for 1000 yen -- not bad at all. Gonna make my way through these over the next couple of weeks.

Nice! I think Ill have to pick that up. Yes, the newer OVAs have nothing on the original Cobra tv series I'm afraid - its a damn shame it never came out in the West. Surprisingly really, that it dodnt come out back in the early 90s when the theatrical anime was so popular. The newer OVAs just seem rather pointless and lack...for a better word...heart. Also, the newer voice actors for Cobra always come off sounding stiff because they try too hard to impersonate the original.

I must say thugh, Im surprised you dont like the theatrical version - I adore that film. The animation still holds up today imo (stylistically at least). Always goes down well with a bourbon late on a Friday night after work...

As for me, I currently watching the new Madhouse X-men (surprisingly good). Unfortunately thats put me on a bit of a superhero kick so I'm currently going through all 70+ episodes of the old X-men cartoon from the 90s. After that I plan to hit up Paylabor tv :-)

Nice! I think Ill have to pick that up. Yes, the newer OVAs have nothing on the original Cobra tv series I'm afraid - its a damn shame it never came out in the West. Surprisingly really, that it dodnt come out back in the early 90s when the theatrical anime was so popular. The newer OVAs just seem rather pointless and lack...for a better word...heart. Also, the newer voice actors for Cobra always come off sounding stiff because they try too hard to impersonate the original.

I must say thugh, Im surprised you dont like the theatrical version - I adore that film. The animation still holds up today imo (stylistically at least). Always goes down well with a bourbon late on a Friday night after work...

As far as I was aware, the voice actor for Cobra was always Nachi Nozawa, who recently passed away. He was only played by a different actor in the movie, and that was by that guy who sang the title song. Then again, I've been proven wrong before, so nothing I say about this show has any value anymore. :lol:

About the movie, I don't hate it, visually I love it. But it just doesn't seem as "fun" as the TV show, and the newer stuff also seems to take itself too seriously. The movie itself came out in the UK precisely at the height of "manga mania" in the mid-90s, are you sure it didn't come out in Australia? I never saw it but I know they replaced a lot of the music with stuff by Yello. As in, the guys who did that "Oh yyyyyyyeeaaaaaaaaaahhhhh... Boom-boom, shukuh-shukaaahhh..." 'song' from "Secret of my Success" (I defy ANYBODY who claims they don't have a clue what I'm on about).

Overall, that movie really reminds me a lot of the fantasy atmosphere of "Heavy Metal". And that's no bad thing. TV Cobra, though, is just amazing on another level. B))

Paylabor tv

Yeah, you keep mixing up your Y's and T's, man. I would gloss over it, but it was so funny reading you write about "Michael Bat" in another thread. :p

EDIT -- as for the DVD: It's one of those odd things published by Takarajima, so you won't find it in the video stores, rather at bookshops and convenience stores. As I said, I found it at Family Mart. Just a heads-up.

Edited by Renato

Watched the first two eps of Tiger & Bunny yesterday –they're available for free in my country as streaming, as will be the rest of the show– and I really liked them: it's an interesting take on the super hero genre because, here, it meets real TV –and it's very funny to see super heroes running around with sponsors logos on their costume or having to wait the commercials before making their final move against the bad guys :p

Give it a try, you'll not be disappointed ;)

Don't know where to post this so it'll go in here. NicoNico just opened its international site, niconico.com. It's hilarious watching English video parodies of Japanese parodies, and the NyaNyaNya videos are already piling in.

Nice! Now i can comment and people can understand me! B))

Recently watched Venus Wars something which ive been wanted to watch since the 90's but never knew what is was from the awesome Manga Video intro back in the say. Any idea what the white haired girl flicking her hair back is? Odin maybe.

Also just finished everthing Space Battleship Yamato, thoight up to the end of season 2 amazing, after that felt like constant rehashes.

Edited by RogueTrooper

Recently watched Venus Wars something which ive been wanted to watch since the 90's but never knew what is was from the awesome Manga Video intro back in the say. Any idea what the white haired girl flicking her hair back is? Odin maybe.

Yeah, it's "♪SEARCHING FOR ODIN, MY LOVE!♪" :lol:

i've got an original copy of the 1989 VENUS WARS O.S.T. it's a must-have. really, it is.

the whole disc is full of terrific JOE HISAISHI (of STUDIO GHIBLI fame) pieces,

crowned by the FANTASTIC "Asu E No Kaze" end credits song;

DSC_1578.jpg

DSC_2576.jpg

Joe Hisaishi; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Hisaishi

1 Main Theme (Venus No Kanata E) Joe Hisaishi 3:42

2 Aozora Ichiba -Supiton Nite- Joe Hisaishi 2:55

3 Shakunetsu No Circuit Joe Hisaishi 3:47

4 Ai No Theme (For Maggie) Joe Hisaishi 4:03

5 Senshun No Shissou Joe Hisaishi 3:25

6 Main Theme -Haundo- (Reprise) Joe Hisaishi 2:19

7 Venus No Kaze (Wind On The Venus) Joe Hisaishi 2:48

8 Deadpoint Joe Hisaishi 1:42

9 Sue vs. Donna Joe Hisaishi 1:07

10 Senjou, Soshite Nokoru Mono Wa Joe Hisaishi 8:03

11 Asu E No Kaze Joe Hisaishi 5:31

Edited by Shaorin

Began watching Xabungle yesterday: 5 eps so far and it's really an interesting and original show when put back in the context of the epoch; eager to see more tonight...

The spring 2011 line-up is quite promising:

http://thecartdriver.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Spring-2011-v41.jpg

So far:

Tiger and Bunny: Pretty boys in Spandex, smash hit with the fujoshi and overal a nice take on the superhero genre, reminds me a bit of Arnie's Running Man.

X-men: It actually looks like the comic version of the X-men instead of a cartoon rendering.

Hanasuka Iroha: J-drama meets anime. Look like a cinderella story with the usual high quality animation from P.A.Works

Steins gate: Time travel sci-fi goodness.

Still have to check out the new Noitamina shows C and Ano hanna.

Probably will also check out :

Deadman wonderland and Moshidora

Appleseed unfortunately postponed till summer.

Edited by Bri

This season is full of stuff with promise.

Just caught the second episode of Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai (or just Ano Hana).

I feel like this one is going to be awesome. Estranged friends, a guy who's seeing a ghost but he thinks he's just insane.