What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v3.0

wolfx

Who doesn't love the token tsundere character? :p

I finished this series few days ago too. Not bad considering it doesn't take itself too seriously. But nothing great either.

Finished it over the weekend. The ending feels rushed, seeing as that the main premise was resolved in the last 3 eps (and the earlier eps felt like fillers to me). But still, it was a good enough ride. Worth watching, but you're right, nothing spectacular.

Orguss is truly a remarkable show. I can't say anything but praise for episode 10 (Barbarians). The ever so fun love triangle (if you even want to call it one :3) is progresses at such a good pace, plus the characters are just so much fun to watch. This is going to be a personal favorite show, for sure.

& of course, the Tennis scene was easily the best part of the series so far. :p

By the way, which version (sub) of Orguss is it that you're watching?

I ask because I unfortunately posses the most well manufactured bootleg ever (my purchase was a genuine mistake I swear! :D). I say well manufactured, because on the outside it looks great but then the subs are actually the very worst I've ever come across. Then ImaginAsian who holds the license for Orguss either never released the whole series or went broke. I have only watched their first 2 dvd's.

And the fansub I came across had only translated the first 5 and last 5 episodes, so again, no luck there.

I'd love to watch Orguss again with a consistent translation from top to bottom.

By the way, which version (sub) of Orguss is it that you're watching?

I ask because I unfortunately posses the most well manufactured bootleg ever (my purchase was a genuine mistake I swear! :D). I say well manufactured, because on the outside it looks great but then the subs are actually the very worst I've ever come across. Then ImaginAsian who holds the license for Orguss either never released the whole series or went broke. I have only watched their first 2 dvd's.

And the fansub I came across had only translated the first 5 and last 5 episodes, so again, no luck there.

I'd love to watch Orguss again with a consistent translation from top to bottom.

It's by a sub team called ILA. They've done the whole series. Subs aren't the best, though they do the job. The only spelling mistakes i've come across so far would be for the names (there's like one letter wrong on some of the names), though it's nothing that destroys the viewing. The complete torrent can be found on bakabt.

This is a series i'd love to officially own, though that seems pretty much impossible at this point.

It's by a sub team called ILA. They've done the whole series. Subs aren't the best, though they do the job. The only spelling mistakes i've come across so far would be for the names (there's like one letter wrong on some of the names), though it's nothing that destroys the viewing. The complete torrent can be found on bakabt.

This is a series i'd love to officially own, though that seems pretty much impossible at this point.

Yeah, it's one of the downfalls of liking "old" anime. There comes a point where it's just not profitable for companies to release this stuff anymore.

Thanks for the tip.

Yeah, it's one of the downfalls of liking "old" anime. There comes a point where it's just not profitable for companies to release this stuff anymore.

At least there's some old anime licensing happening these days. Nozomi did license the 1985 Dirty Pair TV series recently, with the first set out of two already on sale.

sort of OT: i caught the anisong festival in SG last weekend and saw Scandal(K-On) for the first time. man, those chicks rock hard! and in school uniforms and knee-high socks :D

as with the anime, i found the bassist the cutest, though she is the opposite of Mio as she seems to play to the crowd the most.

May'n was there too, and she sure is an energizer bunny. i got hungry though and stepped out between Scandal and May'n to grab some food. when i got back May'n was already singing Universal Bunny.

anybody else went? what May'n songs this i miss?

sort of OT: i caught the anisong festival in SG last weekend and saw Scandal(K-On) for the first time. man, those chicks rock hard! and in school uniforms and knee-high socks :D

as with the anime, i found the bassist the cutest, though she is the opposite of Mio as she seems to play to the crowd the most.

May'n was there too, and she sure is an energizer bunny. i got hungry though and stepped out between Scandal and May'n to grab some food. when i got back May'n was already singing Universal Bunny.

anybody else went? what May'n songs this i miss?

You didn't go for JAM Project? Awww...heard that concert was awesome.

I couldn't make it to AFA this year. :( Had a wedding to attend.

Imagineasion actually did finish Orguss, but availablility didn't last long past the release of the final disc. Considering they were DVD-R's with a high defect rate, it's not a surprise. Their subs also left a few things to be desired (odd spelling choices such as "moo", no seriously, "moo"). But they vastly outclassed the old HK set, with its evil robots of "timmy."

You didn't go for JAM Project? Awww...heard that concert was awesome.

I couldn't make it to AFA this year. :( Had a wedding to attend.

had the tickets for JAM but missed it :wacko: like you, i had some domestic obligations to attend to.

the concerts are a much bigger production this year, but the exhibition/festival part seemed meh. did have a kiss blown my way though, from one of the celebrity cosplayers, but no clue at all who she is.

anyway, back on topic. anyone watching Fairy Tail? just realized that i've caught nearly all episodes aired thus far on animax while not really trying to follow the show. fun diversion, now starting to grow on me. i like how they develop the characters by showing their backstory, but it's rather formulaic how they do it. a couple of episodes they devoted on the ice dude, next couple on another character and so on. they're on Ursa's story now and i'll be sure to watch. she's hot and i'm hoping a PVC of her gets made so she can join my kickass babes collection. imagine the potential for variants-- she has a costume for every occasion! (but still nowhere near Mylene levels :p ).

Imagineasion actually did finish Orguss, but availablility didn't last long past the release of the final disc. Considering they were DVD-R's with a high defect rate, it's not a surprise. Their subs also left a few things to be desired (odd spelling choices such as "moo", no seriously, "moo"). But they vastly outclassed the old HK set, with its evil robots of "timmy."

I get the feeling you saw the same version I did. The "Timmy" instead of "mu" is absolutely unmistakeable.

Another favourite from that sub in when "Athena" about a third through the show became "Argentina" instead.

I get the feeling you saw the same version I did. The "Timmy" instead of "mu" is absolutely unmistakeable.

Another favourite from that sub in when "Athena" about a third through the show became "Argentina" instead.

That was actually the golden age of HK DVD's. Considering the base translaction were fairly decent for the time, I think they intentionally mispelled every name imaginable just to keep official company's from going full ass on shutting them down. At least until SARS hit, and authorities had an opening to blindly raid them. Couldn't let them finish GE:999 TV first....

Orguss episode 17.

Slay's actual death was pretty upsetting, especially keeping in mind that he believed Mimsy wanted to marry him, though in fact that was just a dream of hers. Poor guy. :(

I'm glad the spoil i suffered early on that the sunglasses guy was Olsen didn't have much effect, because the show didn't do much to hide it. Plus there's hints at Athena being Kei's daughter. They're not doing a good job of hiding that if it's true. :p

I'm slowly but surely making my way through Maison Ikkoku (watching some other stuff along the way too) and I'm a bit surprised that I'm actually enjoying what is basically a big soap opera. More than anything I think it's great to see a love story that actually seems to be developing in a somewhat realistic manner. A bit better than some of the typical scenarios out there: (Girl A gave Boy B a bite of her sandwich when we were in kindergarten. Boy B will now love her forevermore and defend her from all threats, foreign and domestic. Of course, Boy B will not tell her of his feelings and all sorts of misunderstandings will occur as a result. Finally during the course of an intense firefight, Boy B will declare his love in the most dramatic way possible. The relationship will of course not be consummated to protect the feelings of the fans of Girl C).:D

My favourite character is of course Yotsuya-san. I really hope that by episode 96 we find out what his profession is!

I'm slowly but surely making my way through Maison Ikkoku (watching some other stuff along the way too) and I'm a bit surprised that I'm actually enjoying what is basically a big soap opera. More than anything I think it's great to see a love story that actually seems to be developing in a somewhat realistic manner. A bit better than some of the typical scenarios out there: (Girl A gave Boy B a bite of her sandwich when we were in kindergarten. Boy B will now love her forevermore and defend her from all threats, foreign and domestic. Of course, Boy B will not tell her of his feelings and all sorts of misunderstandings will occur as a result. Finally during the course of an intense firefight, Boy B will declare his love in the most dramatic way possible. The relationship will of course not be consummated to protect the feelings of the fans of Girl C).:D

My favourite character is of course Yotsuya-san. I really hope that by episode 96 we find out what his profession is!

Did you download it or find some of the Viz sets?

Maison Ikkoku is awesome and unlike alot of Rumiko's serial stuff actually has an ending.

Currently watching Initial D Stages 1-4 again. Forgot how much fun it was. Sparsely throwing in some episodes of Scrapped Princess, finished the first dvd but this series really isn't grabbing my attention, and probably going to start History's Greatest Disciple Kenichi soon.

Maison Ikkoku is awesome and unlike alot of Rumiko's serial stuff actually has an ending.

Currently watching Initial D Stages 1-4 again. Forgot how much fun it was. Sparsely throwing in some episodes of Scrapped Princess, finished the first dvd but this series really isn't grabbing my attention, and probably going to start History's Greatest Disciple Kenichi soon.

First disc of Scrapped Princess as in 3 disc HK R1 bootleg, or 6 disc R1? In any case, try to stick with it until at least episode 13 when the more interesting information about their world is revealed ;) I remember picking up this series way back when just after it ended when I read about all the positive opinions from the animesuki forums; I thought it was pretty good myself at the end of it :)

Did you download it or find some of the Viz sets?

I actually managed to get my hands on some french releases since the Viz ones trade for over 60 bucks a piece on ebay. The series was apparently quite big in France were it was called "Juliette je t'aime". My french is not exactly stellar and I'm missing some volumes, so every now and again I watch an episode online when I need to.

[...] The series was apparently quite big in France were it was called "Juliette je t'aime". [...]

It still has its followers, most of them since the very first airing of the show back in the 90

First disc of Scrapped Princess as in 3 disc HK R1 bootleg, or 6 disc R1? In any case, try to stick with it until at least episode 13 when the more interesting information about their world is revealed wink.gif I remember picking up this series way back when just after it ended when I read about all the positive opinions from the animesuki forums; I thought it was pretty good myself at the end of it smile.gif

Yup, Scrapped Princess is a very nicely deceptive series in the beginning, that handles its concepts well. Would have also made a great RPG.

Yup, Scrapped Princess is a very nicely deceptive series in the beginning, that handles its concepts well. Would have also made a great RPG.

Yeah it really would have. Shame that never happened.

The novels are worth a read for anyone who wants more from the title.

Just watched Koe De Oshigoto OVA 1. I loved it!

Its about a 16 yr old highschool girl who feels indebted to her elder sister who has been looking after her since young, and felt she had to return the favour when her sister asked her to do voice acting for an eroge. (ero game) What follows is hilarity! Animation and art is top notch and voice acting is nevertheless excellent since its an anime about voice acting.

Caution though that its an adult title and its about eroge after all. It does have annoying censor sounds to words/noise and of course "unmentionable" anatomy. :ph34r:

Whilst continuing with my Maison Ikkoku marathon, I decided to after about a decade or so,. check out Megazone 23 again. All I can say is I really hope that the Wachowski brothers paid Noboru Ishiguro and co. some money because The Matrix really "borrowed" a lot from Megazone 23's storyline.

And ss always some beautiful character designs from Mikimoto.

Whilst continuing with my Maison Ikkoku marathon, I decided to after about a decade or so,. check out Megazone 23 again. All I can say is I really hope that the Wachowski brothers paid Noboru Ishiguro and co. some money because The Matrix really "borrowed" a lot from Megazone 23's storyline.

You mean ONE beautiful character design from Mikimoto...he only did Eve. Hirano designed the rest.

I rewatched Megazone Parts I and II again recently (for the first time in a LONG time) and was quite shocked to learn that the area where the police are hunting Shogo near the beginning of MZII ("he's in Kichijoji!") is the same area where I currently work. In fact, you can even see my building in one of the shots.

Edited by Gubaba

Nope, they chose to credit Gits instead, but really, there is way too much Megazone in The Matrix, right down to Wong Dai in part III.

Finished Orguss.

It's a pretty sudden ending, what with Olson and Kei coming face to face with their past selves, though i like how the result was all realities were restored so that any outcome was possible, as shown in those final scenes. I seriously had no idea how this show was going to end, so with that in mind i'm pretty pleased with how it was handled. It's pretty fitting for this series.

I was totally devastated by Mome's death though, so much. The tears just wouldn't stop during her final words scene with Kei, though then we go ahead and have the scene where Kei in tears, sends her off into space. Partly the reason why this hit me so hard would be Kei's reaction to her death, like he didn't notice until now how much he truly cared for Mome. Very beautiful, though so depressing. Taii's death was pretty upsetting, though he had to have the heroic ending. It fits his character so well.

Overall i can easily say i'm pleased with this show. I was presently surprised with it right from the first episode, and would now rank it as one of my all time favorite shows. The unpredictable story telling easily plays a part in this, along with how well the characters are handled during key events in the story (like Athena for example). Together with one of the best main leads ever, and a fantastic 80s score, and we have a great show. I'm glad i finally spent the time watching it.

Edited by shiroth