What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v3.0

wolfx

I watched HOTD 1. The hype is not misplaced. Loved it! Need to watch the second episode tonight.

Also wrapped up the last webisode of Bakemonogatari. I wasn't expecting any major revelations or closure, having said that, the end fit the series (or just the Tsubasa cat arc well) well. Lol rofl, I liked how Araragi thought he had some sort of "vampire charisma" only to get shot down by Nekko as a "Knock Off Vampiya" lolz...

Would have been nice to see him use his vampire powers more in the series, other than advanced tissue regeneration.

Katanagatari Ep 7. Love the video game parodies here and a pretty sad episode too.

I can't place it but this series is one stylish sleeper hit in my books.

Also watching Durarara!! and Baccano! right now. These shows are both extremely fantastic. I'm surprised, and not a little disappointed, that these shows haven't really taken off with anime fans. I hadn't even heard of them until a friend dropped them in my lap. Not certain which I like more. About halfway through both of them now. This is some of the most entertaining anime I've seen in years, and both have extremely stylish opening sequences.

Great music, solid animation, fantastic characters.

Also watching Durarara!! and Baccano! right now. These shows are both extremely fantastic. I'm surprised, and not a little disappointed, that these shows haven't really taken off with anime fans. I hadn't even heard of them until a friend dropped them in my lap. Not certain which I like more. About halfway through both of them now. This is some of the most entertaining anime I've seen in years, and both have extremely stylish opening sequences.

Great music, solid animation, fantastic characters.

Durarara and Bacanno seconded. They are great shows but calling them unpopular is a bit of a stretch. Bacanno is considered one of the top titles of 2007. Durarara is currently the bestselling TV anime of 2010 (though Angel Beats is probably going to overtake them during the year).

Unfortunately these two are fairly unique. Only things remotely similar that come to mind are Bakemonogatari and Kara No Kyou Kai, mainly because of their integration of music, animation, interesting characters and non linear story telling.

I didn't mean to say they were unpopular, but so far into each series they seem so good I'd think they'd have Bebop levels of popularity. They don't seem to be that popular. Also, I'm mainly talking about the western audiences.

I didn't mean to say they were unpopular, but so far into each series they seem so good I'd think they'd have Bebop levels of popularity. They don't seem to be that popular. Also, I'm mainly talking about the western audiences.

Because mostly everyone else is watching Naruto, Bleach, or some other anime from the previous season or two :p.

I think I have good idea why they aren't as popular as Bebop. One thing is that there is so much more anime out in the wild now; second would be that there's alot of content left out of their respective novels.

i marathoned Spice and Wolf 2.

I love the romance elements in the show but the economics can be confusing. I really didn't get much of what happened in the 2nd arc until I read some online plot reviews. Maybe i'm just bad at business and economics.

Last week, I finished watching "The tatami galaxy". Wonderful anime from the creator of Kemonozume, Kaiba and Mind Games. If you like romance in your anime you should be watching this. A hint: this anime is "Endless Eight" well done. I just hope Funimation release a DVD or Blu Ray set.

Finally finished FMA. Easily one of the best anime i've seen in a long time. Brilliant all throughout. And, oh, real closure sure is beautiful every now and then. lol. :)

Up next, Durarara!!! Have to admit, the second episode was a bit boring for me. Any other show, i might already give up on it after watching this ep. But the reviews are good. And if anything, i get a kick out of watching (and listening to) the OP anyway, so i'll give it another go. :)

And of course, there's still K-on S2. It's a nice thing to watch when i'm multi-tasking; some scenes will just make you smile. But since no main storyline is really running (at least as far as ep 7), i'm in no rush to complete the series anytime soon. Mio is still my hands-down favorite character. :)

Can't wait to get more HOTD!

Started watching Gantz. I'm surprised the anime sticks so much to the manga so far. Would have expected them to tone it down a little to reach a broader audience but the "ultraviolence" is there in all its gore so far.

By the way, does anyone if an OST was ever released for Gantz?? Some of the music really rocks.

Started watching Gantz. I'm surprised the anime sticks so much to the manga so far. Would have expected them to tone it down a little to reach a broader audience but the "ultraviolence" is there in all its gore so far.

By the way, does anyone if an OST was ever released for Gantz?? Some of the music really rocks.

The second half of the Gantz animation is...superfluous to say the least.

Just finished Baccano! since people were talking about it some days ago. That was a pretty fun series and there seems to be all elements of movies in there. Horror, comedy, thriller, action, etc. :lol:

Started Highschool of the Dead last week and it's a lot of fun.

My wife was into it from the first few minutes; everyone loves zombies for some reason...?

I like that the characters are still getting info from the rest of the world. It seems like in most zombie/disaster type movies the survivors are typically cut off from the outside world so I like how HOTD is a little different in that sense.

Boob and panty shots are also a plus hehehe

I started watching Ookami-san to Shichinin no Nakamatachi. I fell asleep 1/2 way through the first ep, but LOL @ Kuroko narrator - I think I will continue to watch just because of that. Satomi Arai is not even trying to pretend it's not Kuroko Shirai :p .

The second half of the Gantz animation is...superfluous to say the least.

Haven't gotten there yet, but I can imagine that towards the end, the anime must deviate quite a bit from the manga, specially considering that 10 years later, the manga is still ongoing and with no end in sight.

Haven't gotten there yet, but I can imagine that towards the end, the anime must deviate quite a bit from the manga, specially considering that 10 years later, the manga is still ongoing and with no end in sight.

Thats true, but the quality does drop sharply in the animation.

Watched the Black Rock Shooter OVA.

Wasn't too happy with the OVA. There was pitifully too little frames in the animation , and i won't even go there about the strange choice of pacing and storyline. They probably didn't have enough BRS parts compared to real world parts so they had to slot in bits to keep the audience excited? Didn't work for me.

Quite a shame too since I love the BRS character design.

Meh, I wouldn't rail it for having too little frames. I definitely liked the story but I do agree that the pacing does need some work.

I'm hoping they'll release more episodes.

And I'm disappointed that they didn't use the Black Rock Shooter song :(.

Edited by shiroikaze

Finished watching Durarara!! A great series. It's rare for me nowadays to finish an entire series in one weekend, but that's basically what I did. As I said, episode 2 bored me, but the series started to pick up steam around ep4, and I couldn't put it down after that. Also, I loved the OP and ED.

I hope they come up with a second season (I read that the anime dealt with only the first 3 books).

I'm sure they can find a way to bring Kida back to Ikebukuro somewhow. Other than him, all the characters are still in place. And besides, they still have the dullahan-valkyrie storyline.

I liked how the three best friends ended up heading the 3 "kingdoms" in Ikebukuro. It's hard for me to admit, but the Anri reveal really threw me for a loop. It was obvious that Kida was a former gang member or leader, and i had my suspicions about Mikado's involvement with Dollars, but Anri's secret really surprised me. Even up to the point that Anri blocked the sword with her arm, I was thinking that she had a metallic arm or something to that effect. Looking back, there were some hints, but I didn't really connect them, because I was already focused on Niekawa as the slasher. What a mighty fine red herring she was.

Meh, I wouldn't rail it for having too little frames. I definitely liked the story but I do agree that the pacing does need some work.

I'm hoping they'll release more episodes.

And I'm disappointed that they didn't use the Black Rock Shooter song :(.

That song seems to be very elusive in the commercial market for some reason. It wasn't in Miku fest, it wasn't in Project Diva, it was in the BRS trailer pilot but not the OVA, what gives? Rights infringement nightmare probably.

Thats true, but the quality does drop sharply in the animation.

Finished Gantz and I have to say you're absolutely right about the animation. The art and the animation towards the end are much poorer (having said that, the quality towards the beginning is some of the best I've seen).

I also did not really like the ending

I mean I know that they could have gone anywhere with the story, since the manga is still ongoing and we still have no explanation on what Gantz is, but the final arc is just plain underwhelming.

I just finished watching Yamato: Rebirth.

It was bad. Really really bad. I thought Final Yamato was bad. This was even worse.

There were some interesting sub-plots which could've been the main focus and used to tell a more coherent story, but no.

Instead they decided to reuse plot devices from prior Yamato works and tell a lame story that ran at breakneck speed.

The animation was okay. Some of the details were well done. But whoever was in charge of music creation & choreography should be shot.

I just finished watching Yamato: Rebirth.

It was bad. Really really bad. I thought Final Yamato was bad. This was even worse.

There were some interesting sub-plots which could've been the main focus and used to tell a more coherent story, but no.

Instead they decided to reuse plot devices from prior Yamato works and tell a lame story that ran at breakneck speed.

The animation was okay. Some of the details were well done. But whoever was in charge of music creation & choreography should be shot.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Nishizaki is a freakin' lunatic. But out of morbid curiosity, how high was the "hero" body count?

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Nishizaki is a freakin' lunatic. But out of morbid curiosity, how high was the "hero" body count?

Maybe one. Maybe two. The 2nd one is more of a background sub-plot so it probably doesn't count. The one that seemed to have died did not get say any final dramatic goodbye words, so I would say the character survived. :lol: But then again, the character was thoroughly under-developed so honestly it's like "huh, whatever".

just finished watching the first 13 episodes of Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas. Great series so far! Animation is nice, the story is cool, and it moves at a much MUCH quicker pace than original Saint Seiya series. shame the only toys released from it are Tenma and Kagaho. Ah well. Great show! :)