What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v3.0

wolfx

I enjoy Honneamise everytime I watch it - including this last re-viewing :) The scene where the rocket finally launches and it just absolutely stuns everyone into silence is just awesome - I almost shed a manly tear of joy.

Yeah, that's a great scene. It really brings to mind what a tremendous human achievement it was for man to reach space.

Gainax really does the "manly tears" quite well.

Watching Hatsukoi Limited. Yes its a love comedy. :p

B Gata H has some amazing animation compared to Kiss X Sis TV, which is quite disappointing. Both are sort of echi btw.

I'm kind of left in surprise after seeing Heroman. I have absolutely no idea whether I should call it good or bad but that doesn't really matter.

The concept: Spiderman, Tetsujin 28 and a blender. It has a strong American comics feel, yet is also still very much anime. Almost like they wrote the characters to resemble Peter Parker, Gwen Stacy and Flash Thompson but then casts Japanese actors to play the parts. The show is very recognizable and alienating at the same time, very odd feeling.

Not 'new' by any means but new to me, I picked up the old Nutech DVD set of Armored Trooper VOTOMS via eBay and blitzed through the Stage 1: Uoodo City arc in one night. Damn good stuff! Finished Mac7 TV and Fleet of the Strongest Women before that, still holding off on Encore/Dynamite/et cetera for now, and still occasionally working on Legend of Galactic Heroes (which is still downloading so I don't want to get to the point where I'm having to wait for new eps to finish!), Turn A and Victory Gundam. So much to watch, so little time! xD

Not 'new' by any means but new to me, I picked up the old Nutech DVD set of Armored Trooper VOTOMS via eBay and blitzed through the Stage 1: Uoodo City arc in one night. Damn good stuff! Finished Mac7 TV and Fleet of the Strongest Women before that, still holding off on Encore/Dynamite/et cetera for now, and still occasionally working on Legend of Galactic Heroes (which is still downloading so I don't want to get to the point where I'm having to wait for new eps to finish!), Turn A and Victory Gundam. So much to watch, so little time! xD

It does take a looonnggg time to download Legend of Galactic Heroes. But boy is it worth it!

Just started watching Strike Witches.

Hate: Waaaay too many pantsu shots. Why do they not wear pants is beyond me...

Love: All the references to WWII aces and the accompanying fighters from multiple countries. Also, Yeager(Chuck) and P-51. :wub:

Edited by raptormesh

Love: All the references to WWII aces and the accompanying fighters from multiple countries. Also, Yeager(Chuck) and P-51. :wub:

Its the pandering. If you can ignore it, Strike Witches is not bad as a slice-of-life anime.

Btw i started Katanagatari and Working!!!

Katanagatari is an hour long per episode and has some witty dialogue. Don't expect much action here though. Its about a swordsman born and exiled to an island for 20 years and has a famous deadly swordless style technique as he travels Japan with a girl in search of some legendary swords.

Working!!! is adapted from a 4-koma manga about employees working in a family restaurant.

Are you watching the TV or DVD version?

If you've got the DVD version then yes you will OD on pantsu & loli flesh. If you've got the TV version then there's not as much pantsu & almost no loli flesh.

Are you watching the TV or DVD version?

If you've got the DVD version then yes you will OD on pantsu & loli flesh. If you've got the TV version then there's not as much pantsu & almost no loli flesh.

That explains it, I'm watching the DVD version. Growing on me though, I especially like the part with Shirley and the sound barrier. Maybe i should find the TV eps, as I am less inclined to watch this series now whenever my fiance's home. :unsure:

Based on the glowing reviews I've seen on this thread, I've started to watch Planetes. 2 episodes.

So far, so good. It reminds me A LOT of Wings of Honneamise and I'm certainly pleased about the seriousness which with it takes its science. And the lack of moe or women with colossal busoms is actually pretty refreshing.

Planetes is really, really good; essentially Patlabor on TV, but in Space. It does have a bit of a shift in tone towards the end, though.

Patlabor on TV is one my absolute favourite anime so you encourage even more to see Planetes through to the end.

Anyone have recommendations of anime that are on par with Berserk and Claymore?

Currently watching FMA: Brotherhood.

Not anime, but for manga there's Vinland Saga. It's a historical fiction set mostly during the early 11th century viking invasion of England. It's by the same guy who did Planetes actually.

Based on the glowing reviews I've seen on this thread, I've started to watch Planetes. 2 episodes.

So far, so good. It reminds me A LOT of Wings of Honneamise and I'm certainly pleased about the seriousness which with it takes its science. And the lack of moe or women with colossal busoms is actually pretty refreshing.

I started then stopped watching this a couple weeks back.

A little, erm, realistic(?) for my taste but I still enjoyed the first couple episodes so I plan to revisit the series soon.

I've started watching Those Who Hunt Elves, thought i try something different from all the robot and sci fi anime i watch. :lol:

Just finished the first season of Darker than Black. It was interesting to a certain degree but the show never really got into how those Hell's Gate came to be or what happened to anyone who left the planet's surface. There were lots of things left unexplained.

I'll catch the second season to see if the mysteries are going to be explained.

Not watching anything current, instead I'm taking a break from Macross 7 to watch ALL of Gundam (yes, all. every UC and AU gundam, even SEEDicon8.gif). so far I'm through with 0079, Zeta and about 10 episodes of double zeta (by the way, is ZZ this goofy throughout the whole show? normally I like this kind of stuff but it's really weird considering how zeta ended), with char's counterattack waiting after that.

I haven't quite decided If I'm going to watch everything in release order and go on to 0080 after CCA, or if I'm going to do all of all of the Tomino stuff before getting into the different UC side stories (either way I'm saving the AU stuff for last).

The moon moon(?) episode is probably the pinnacle of ZZ sillyness. Although it does get somewhat more serious towards the end or the series it never reaches Zeta levels or proportions.

Good luck with SEED btw B))

Not watching anything current, instead I'm taking a break from Macross 7 to watch ALL of Gundam (yes, all. every UC and AU gundam, even SEEDicon8.gif). so far I'm through with 0079, Zeta and about 10 episodes of double zeta (by the way, is ZZ this goofy throughout the whole show? normally I like this kind of stuff but it's really weird considering how zeta ended), with char's counterattack waiting after that.

I haven't quite decided If I'm going to watch everything in release order and go on to 0080 after CCA, or if I'm going to do all of all of the Tomino stuff before getting into the different UC side stories (either way I'm saving the AU stuff for last).

Are you sure you want to watch SEED? :lol:

Actually, SEED isn't as bad as Double O (IMHO).

Maybe save G Gundam for the end? This way, when you switch back to Macross 7, you get a show with the same kind of mood. :)

In the sense that after a spectacular season 1, Double 0 started to suck like SEED... yes ^_^

I think I've been watching too much slice-of-life crap - it's been well over a year since I've tasted anything mecha... hopefully watching Iron Man 2 will get me back to the path of righteous animu. I have been watching:

K-On Season 2

Arakawa under the Bridge

Kaichou Wa Maid Sama

Also recently finished the first 14 eps of Bakemonogatari. While watching this, I almost felt like it is a cheap yet successful attempt to capitalize on the usage of low budget techniques lol. But I enjoyed it nevertheless... can't wait for the last webisode.

The moon moon(?) episode is probably the pinnacle of ZZ sillyness. Although it does get somewhat more serious towards the end or the series it never reaches Zeta levels or proportions.

Good luck with SEED btw B))

You mean the colony of Mayan cultist ninjas? yeah, Just got to it now, It's definitely out there :wacko:

You mean the colony of Mayan cultist ninjas? yeah, Just got to it now, It's definitely out there :wacko:

ZZ does get better and comes close to being a bit like Zeta at some points, but when you think you've seen the last of the slapstick, it reverts back to it at times. Like when the tone of the show gets grittier, then bang, they hit you with a cross dressing episode :wacko:

I've been watching Monster, as well as just finished Gankutsuo, and about to start Aquarion. I haven't heard much about Aquarion, just know that Kawamorisan did the designs for the mecha.

As far as "Those Who Hunt Elves" that's a great anime for some good laughs. I enjoyed that series.

Just finished the Dirty Pair OVA. It was ok, but nothing special like the TV Series or Project Eden.

Next stop: Zeta Gundam (no spoilers please) B))

There's a Gundam called Zeta in it, so there!

@Jasonc

Monster is probably the last "good" anime I've seen. Rarely is a series ever so serious and devoid of humor and to me it was a great change of pace.

I picked up Slayers Revolution finally not too shabby actually. Just wish these came out years ago.