What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v3.0

wolfx

By Gods Sayuki sucked! i made it through 1 disk, and i dont think I'll ever go back.

When was this made?! Its like it was done with Flash animation! Ugh...

Okay, I'm writing this assuming you're talking about Kazuya Minekura's Gensomaden Saiyuki, so if you're talking about a different one feel free to ignore me and go about your loathing uninterrupted.

Really, this isn't an uncommon reaction to the first couple episodes of Saiyuki... there's no denying that they're just BAD. The animators went a little TOO far in pointing out that the youkai living in Shangri-La/Togenkyo are going berzerk and turning into murdering sociopaths, and missed the mark entirely, stopping somewhere in the general vicinity of "just plain nuts". It certainly doesn't help that the first couple episodes just had some staggeringly quality issues. The first disc definitely doesn't contain anything to impress (eps 1-5)... but it gets better as the show goes on.

Gensomaden Saiyuki is very much a character-driven show, so if what you were hoping for was a series that sells itself primarily on fights you'll probably leave disappointed. The original author has always made a point of reminding the viewer/reader via the Merciful Goddess (usually) that the point of the story is the journey, not the destination, and that the growth of the characters is what really matters. She's got a fair point, since the series doesn't really get moving until they start digging into the pasts of the four principal characters and dragging out the past traumas that made them who they are. They start with Sanzo in ep6-7, and then break up the grimness with some comedy briefly before segueing to the rest on disks 3 and 4. The plot is a wee bit fractured since they ran out of manga around episode 26 and had to fill the second half with an original story arc... Homura's Rebellion... which is ironically where the series really shines.

Beyond the original series, there's also the Gensomaden Saiyuki: Requiem movie, and two follow-up shows: Saiyuki Reload (an adaptation of the second half of the original Saiyuki manga, picking up right where ep25 of the original series left off) and Saiyuki Reload: Gunlock (which covers the Hazel arc of the Saiyuki Reload manga).

(Since you asked, the original Gensomaden Saiyuki series ran from 2000 to 2001)

Edited by Seto Kaiba

i'm sure he was talking about the older saiyuki, not that BL bait one. :p

Saiyuki after all is just the Japanese name for "Journey To The West" and there are many japanese works based on it.

i'm sure he was talking about the older saiyuki, not that BL bait one. :p

:p I dunno, I think the "flash animation" remark and the fact that most of the others are live-action narrows the field a fair bit in my favor.

Saiyuki after all is just the Japanese name for "Journey To The West" and there are many japanese works based on it.

I'm well aware of that... 's why the first thing I did was qualify my following remarks as being specific to the most recent and familiar modern anime title with the name "Saiyuki".

At the moment, I just finished rewatching the original Fullmetal Alchemist series with my gf, and I'm mulling over what to watch next... it's either gonna be You're Under Arrest, which Talos has been on my case to watch, or Turn-A Gundam, since that's like the only Gundam show I've never seen before...

why is gensoumaden saiyuki considered "flash animation"? Did i jump the gun or something? Was it because they didn't have much action scenes and just showed static shots? XD

yeah i kinda forgot cuz its been years.

Edited by wolfx

why is gensoumaden saiyuki considered "flash animation"? Did i jump the gun or something? Was it because they didn't have much action scenes and just showed static shots? XD

Oh, no... it's not considered a flash animation, but the way it's animated (particularly pan shots, single character focuses) comes off as being highly reminiscent of a high-end flash animation... it's kind of hard to describe.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

just watched 1s ep of Angel Beats. Feels very Haruhi + Clannad in the afterlife.

Yup, I agree, plus a tad of Gurren Lagan. Bit different animation wise from Canaan, except for the eyes. Think Miyuki Sawashiro was the singer of the band, glad they got her as a VA, her voice really has something.

eh? why the comparison to Canaan? Sorry if i'm slow these days. >.<

I do know its written by KEY's Jun Maeda and I initially thought the animation was by Kyoto Animation (Its Aniplex) since they had some Kyoani stuff like the 100 hit death, the school concert and strangely similar characters to previous kyoani works.

Canaan and Angelbeats were both made by PAworks. A joint KEY/ASCII mediaworks property not done by Kyoani.

Edit: thought Key used Kyoani exclusively but thats not the case, given the earlier Toei Kanon series.

Edited by Bri

Canaan and Angelbeats were both made by PAworks. First time I think a KEY property hasn't been done by Kyoani.

P.A Works...ah ok.

There's that 1s Kanon (not the 2009 one) and the Air: The Movie which were both by Toei Animation.

Finished episode 6 of Bacanno. The plot is slowly starting to become clearer. So far, it was worth waiting the extra week for the DVD set to arrive by mail.

The cast seems pretty well rounded so far and that's helping the show stay fresh. I am starting to understand why so many people were talking a lot about this series last year.

Finished watching Martian Succesor Nadesico. Has a lot of really funny moments, a couple of memorable characters and some good ideas, but is ultimately a bit of a letdown if I consider how many good things I'd read about this series. Specially the ending feels really rushed and fails to address many of the series subplots. I know that there's a movie sequel, but apparently it doesn't seem to improve upon the series. Anyone care to comment?

Finished watching Martian Succesor Nadesico. Has a lot of really funny moments, a couple of memorable characters and some good ideas, but is ultimately a bit of a letdown if I consider how many good things I'd read about this series. Specially the ending feels really rushed and fails to address many of the series subplots. I know that there's a movie sequel, but apparently it doesn't seem to improve upon the series. Anyone care to comment?

Nadesico was a fun ride. Think of the whole thing as a tribute to both the Super Robot and the Real Robot genres, as well as the current trend of anime at that time(evangelion) , and you'll see why a lot of anime fans have such good words for Nadesico.

The sequel has a completely darker feel to it than the series. The humor is still there, but not from the characters you would expect. It takes place a few years after the end of the series. I'm not sure what you mean about "improving the series". What I can say, though, is that the series already had an actual ending (though rushed), and you could close the book there. The movie added another conflict, somewhat still related to the conflict in the series, and using the same characters, but, boy, some of them have grown. Basically, the nadisco movie is a reunion of sorts, but not necessarily a happy one.

mmb492wp.jpg

That's the cover to the set i got. if u tell me it gets better ill try a few more episode, ill i get to disk 2 anyway.

Yeah, that's Gensomaden Saiyuki... it does get better later on.

K-ON 2 is out.

More fun and laughts for Afternoon Tea Time. :D

Don't know about you but I thought it was bloody awful :( The new OP is woeful (ED is OK) and the laughs were few and far between. Let's hope it picks up over the next few episodes.

I saw somewhere that it could be 24 or so episodes so hopefully the only way is up :mellow:

I have mixed feelings about the 1st episode of K-On S2 as well, but on second thought it's probably because it's just more of the same. The one thing about the episode that disappointed me a little bit is that they inexplicably skipped the concert scene, it is the perfect stage for another "epic disaster." :p .

I have mixed feelings about the 1st episode of K-On S2 as well, but on second thought it's probably because it's just more of the same. The one thing about the episode that disappointed me a little bit is that they inexplicably skipped the concert scene, it is the perfect stage for another "epic disaster." :p .

Well, episode 2 made me feel a lot better.

now that its back on the manga trail again, im continuing with naruto shippuden.

...how many filler sets so far?

...how many filler sets so far?

After

jiraiya died by pain

it had (surprisingly) one filler arc, but it was terrible,i stopped watching until a friend told me it was over, so its back on trail as of episode 152--

I really the despise filler arcs,the character designs are bland and flat.

Edited by Vepariga

I started watching a anime collection i had that i didnt know the title of since the cover was in japanese..

started watching and its called Ground Defence Force Mao-Chan.

I dont think ive seen a bigger WTF amusing anime before..

Edited by Vepariga

Second episode of K-on totally made up for the anemic second season premiere :) . The scene where everyone fantasizes about what to do with the equivalent of $5,000 USD is hilarious, especially Yui's fantasy.

Also planning on rewatching some old stuff that's been collecting dust. I have The Wings of Honneamise queued up for this weekend.

Also planning on rewatching some old stuff that's been collecting dust. I have The Wings of Honneamise queued up for this weekend.

Love that film! That early Gainax stuff is fantastic...