What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v3.0

wolfx

Welcome to version 3.0

I finished watching Bakemonogatari TV episodes and was abit perplexed that Tsubasa's story wasn't really completed? Will they explore it further in the OVAs? The show is studio SHAFT at its weirdest with frequent "RED" "BLACK" "BLUE" and "WHITE" screens flashing during action scenes. But the story and dialogues between characters saved the show from otherwise very experimental animation that isn't everyone's cup of tea.

Also watched the 2nd OVA of Darker Than Black Gaiden. Its sad that the OVAs are better than the whole 2nd season put together.

I tried watching Bakemonogatari a while ago, but took a break from it. I got to the third episode I think. Unfortunately, I get the feel that it's one of those shows with the propensity of loosing stuff in translation, as I've been told the wordplay which constitutes 99% of the series is hard to capture. I really like Senjougahara though :wub: ... prototypical psycho-girl friend of pure win.

Welcome to version 3.0

I finished watching Bakemonogatari TV episodes and was abit perplexed that Tsubasa's story wasn't really completed? Will they explore it further in the OVAs? The show is studio SHAFT at its weirdest with frequent "RED" "BLACK" "BLUE" and "WHITE" screens flashing during action scenes. But the story and dialogues between characters saved the show from otherwise very experimental animation that isn't everyone's cup of tea.

I think someone stated "budget and deadline" reasons at first for those red/black/blue/white screens that flash; now I think studio SHAFT decided to run with it. I'm pretty sure there will be more webisodes along the way.

Edited by shiroikaze

I tried watching Bakemonogatari a while ago, but took a break from it. I got to the third episode I think. Unfortunately, I get the feel that it's one of those shows with the propensity of loosing stuff in translation, as I've been told the wordplay which constitutes 99% of the series is hard to capture. I really like Senjougahara though :wub: ... prototypical psycho-girl friend of pure win.

I'm very much in two minds about this anime. On the one hand I love the interesting experimental animation, the great soundtrack and impressive VA performance, but on the other hand it's just a harem comedy with very conventional one girl per arch build up, and the supernatural element in high school with monsters, possessions and vampires is very cliche. It tries to hard to be different and cutting edge but kind of fails at it...

I think someone stated "budget and deadline" reasons at first for those red/black/blue/white screens that flash; now I think studio SHAFT decided to run with it. I'm pretty sure there will be more webisodes along the way.

It does feel like a "cheat" and easy way out of making an anime... but i doubt SHAFT has budget problems. Btw yeah i watched the webisodes which continued Tsubasa's story. Just abit strange that they dumped her story at 12 and continued with 13 and 14.

I'm very much in two minds about this anime. On the one hand I love the interesting experimental animation, the great soundtrack and impressive VA performance, but on the other hand it's just a harem comedy with very conventional one girl per arch build up, and the supernatural element in high school with monsters, possessions and vampires is very cliche. It tries to hard to be different and cutting edge but kind of fails at it...

I don't think it tried to be different or cutting edge, and yeah generally its a cliche plot but the presentation is way different. You realise the show doesn't have any other characters except those that participate in the dialogues and very rarely you get to see more than three people talking at the same time. If this show was presented in your typical anime-style, it might probably make less of an impact and even be cliched.

The show also sometimes breaks the "Fourth Wall" and pokes fun at itself being an anime and also frequently presents all the usual otaku tropes deliberately.

Anyone seen Noein? It sounds kinda interesting and clips ive seen seem OK.

Animation is strange and experimental. (ugly some might add)

Has some interesting quantum mechanics as a plot tool, where some guy from an alternate future visits this girl who is supposed to be saviour of mankind in the alternate future or something.....

Story could be slow at times, but I love Noien. :)

Anyone seen Noein? It sounds kinda interesting and clips ive seen seem OK.

I agree with wolfx the animation is strange but I wouldn't say it is ugly. I watched Noein two weeks ago and in fact I had planned to watch only one episode per day but it was so interesting that I finished the whole series in only two days. From my point of view the best parts of Noein are the love story and the character development. I don't really watch that much anime but Noein is one of my favorites.

By the way, I'm currently watching Durarara!

Since I'm all alone at home at the moment I had time to finish Patlabor: The New Files.

Seriously, one of the funniest anime ever made. 3 or 4 episodes in particular are just pure comedic genius. Much more lighthearted that the OVA or the movies.

Just starting to watch Martian Succesor Nadesico. Can't say I was too impressed by the first episode but let's wait and see.

Seriously, one of the funniest anime ever made. 3 or 4 episodes in particular are just pure comedic genius. Much more lighthearted that the OVA or the movies.

The one where Oshii spoofs his own student protest days and the one with the two captains stuck in a love motel because of a typhoon are brilliant.

I'm currently watching Durarara!! and Startship Girl Yamamoto Youko while waiting for the new season to get going.

I'm thinking of trying Claymore when we get it as a box set down here. I hear good things.

I Netflixed it long ago and kind of let my qeue go and forgot about it - then it showed up and I said OHWTH and watched the first disk. I was hooked from there!

The one where Oshii spoofs his own student protest days and the one with the two captains stuck in a love motel because of a typhoon are brilliant.

Wonderful both of them. My personal favourite though is the one of Section 2's males looking for a terrorist in a bath house. Genius!

Finally got my Bacanno DVD's through the mail (thank you Canada Customs for holding them up at the border).

Watched the first 2 eps. I'm confused :wacko: , but I've heard that that is the reaction you're supposed to have at this point in the series. It's got my interest (what with the, um, very interesting & varied cast), and I'll keep watching.

Finished watching Gurren Lagann. I would say it is good, because it did not have the usual ending. The story was interesting too with the Spiral Being versus Anti-Spiral Being. Too bad Yoko's kiss is more deadlier than a pineapple salad.

i didn't watch the tv version, only the movies, and I am not sure I liked it or not...maybe I should've watched the series instead? Maybe the movies were too condensed, as typically is the case.

One thing I definitely did not like was the character design in the second film, especially the deadly Yoko.

Also recently I've avidly watched both seasons of Haruhi Suzumiya after a long time discrediting the series. I was probably misled by the character design (the old seifuku+miniskirt="moe")...but how I changed my mind after watching pieces of "the adventures of Mikuru Asahina" on youtube! now I am impatiently waiting for the movie. Already read the novel and really hope they did a good job animating the story.

Shangri-la is in the hard disk but can't get myself to watch it (there is also a schoolgirl!oh wait, there are plenty in Macross F too!)...

Edited by regult

i didn't watch the tv version, only the movies, and I am not sure I liked it or not...maybe I should've watched the series instead? Maybe the movies were too condensed, as typically is the case.

Definitely should have watched the series first. The movie (specially the first one) was a very condensed version, spliced with seemingly random animation sequences in the middle (which almost make no sense if you haven't seen the series). The awesome parts are still in the movie, but without the build-up of the plot and the characters, the awesome parts have less impact somehow.

Even the second movie might be too crazy to make sense. If you hadn't seen the series first, the final battle mght just be a tad too absurd.

I mean, to see each character in the movie have a mecha the size of a galazy, and then later on merge with each other to form an even bigger mecha, might be too much already. At least, if you've seen the series first, your mind would have had enough time to first register the fact that a mecha was as big as a frickin galaxy, before even becoming bigger in the movie.

About halfway through Martian Succesor Nadesico. It's extremely silly and the plot just keeps jumping around all over the place, changing the setting from one episode to another without any explanation. Having said that, it does have some very funny moments and has countless anime references, including several to Macross.