LOST

IIRC Desmond could be dead since Sayid was supposed to shoot him.

Or if he didnt he is still stuck in a well and unless he can grow wings he is going no where

so does it matter???? I dont know

No, they never actually showed Sayid shooting Desmond. Furthermore, Sayid told Jack where to find him before his, erm, sudden exit. That's why Sayid was back with our intrepid band of heroes. Desmond talked some sense into him.

Anyone else find it ironic that Sayid went out eerily like a suicide bomber? After so much strife THAT is how he goes? :angry:

Seems like we are seeing the quick resolutions most feared would happen with so little time to end the series. I was surprised, shocked and then disappointed at the losses last night. Borderline cheesy...but hey who am I right?

Speaking of Miles were was he? Still at Whitmore's?

Snail you forgot that Ben is still alive and well :D

I don't think it's quick resolutions as much as they should have been killing people off earlier. Sayid shoulda kicked off in the temple. They could have just used Jin for the zombie role (but then he wouldnt have been a zombie) but nonLocke could have used Sun as the blackmail element.

I've always figured that the major characters were all gonna die and find their happiness in the alt.Lost universe...

But that was an awesome switcheroo blacklocke pulled. Poor Claire... No one wants her on their team. I want her on my team, you know what they say about crazy chicks...

Sayid went out like that only after he realized that Locke had betrayed him and that he wasn't going to magically get his dead love of his life back. So, I'm not sure there was any redemption there or that Desmond had anything to do with it. He figured he might as well make the best of a bad situation. Noble, in the end, but hardly redemptive considering he was going to die anyways and only told Jack what he did and ran off with the bomb after he realized he wasn't going to get his reward.

Don't feel too bad about Sun and Jin. Remember, there's the other timeline. My own personal theory is that somehow those on the island are going to trigger something that essentially transports their consciousnesses from their bodies on the island timeline into their bodies into the "island was nuked" timeline. At which point, the folks on the non-island timeline will essentially be those from the island. . . and there'll be some grand coming together where Sawyer (as a cop) helps his old pal Sayid, and Kate, get out of prison, Jack helps Locke walk, etc. . .

It'll be the great big "happy ending". . . everyone is alive again and yet they're the people we grew to know on the island since their consciousness from those events is now in their bodies back in civilization.

Been telling my brother this would be how it will all end up for a couple weeks now. He was skeptical. But now even he realizes that it's starting to fit. Think about it, nearly everyone's circumstances on the mainland have worked out well in the alternate timeline. And everyone whose circumstances are bad are "under the power" of one of their friends from the island. Once the "switch" is thrown and they recognize each other as dear friends from the island, we have all the ingredients in place for a nice, neat happy ending, with a baking time of about 60 minutes.

Sayid went out like that only after he realized that Locke had betrayed him and that he wasn't going to magically get his dead love of his life back. So, I'm not sure there was any redemption there or that Desmond had anything to do with it. He figured he might as well make the best of a bad situation. Noble, in the end, but hardly redemptive considering he was going to die anyways and only told Jack what he did and ran off with the bomb after he realized he wasn't going to get his reward.

Don't feel too bad about Sun and Jin. Remember, there's the other timeline. My own personal theory is that somehow those on the island are going to trigger something that essentially transports their consciousnesses from their bodies on the island timeline into their bodies into the "island was nuked" timeline. At which point, the folks on the non-island timeline will essentially be those from the island. . . and there'll be some grand coming together where Sawyer (as a cop) helps his old pal Sayid, and Kate, get out of prison, Jack helps Locke walk, etc. . .

It'll be the great big "happy ending". . . everyone is alive again and yet they're the people we grew to know on the island since their consciousness from those events is now in their bodies back in civilization.

Been telling my brother this would be how it will all end up for a couple weeks now. He was skeptical. But now even he realizes that it's starting to fit. Think about it, nearly everyone's circumstances on the mainland have worked out well in the alternate timeline. And everyone whose circumstances are bad are "under the power" of one of their friends from the island. Once the "switch" is thrown and they recognize each other as dear friends from the island, we have all the ingredients in place for a nice, neat happy ending, with a baking time of about 60 minutes.

lol... LOST and LOTR are the only threads that gets Hurin posting.

(...)

The problem there is that Sayid disobeyed FLocke by not killing Desmond, and then lied to him about it - showing that he was already starting to come around. Beyond that, he ditched Flocke to get on the sub when he could have stayed like Claire did.

Edited by -Snowblind-

The problem there is that Sayid disobeyed FLocke by not killing Desmond, and then lying to him about it - showing that he was already starting to come around. Beyond that, he ditched Flocke to get on the sub when he could have stayed like Claire did.

Not being willing to kill someone he's known for a while in cold blood doesn't exactly equal full redemption does it? I'm not sure I see that as "coming around". . . especially the lying to Locke part. So now, bad people can't lie?

If you just disobeyed the smoke monster, and you fear him, you're now a good guy for covering your ass and lying about it?

Again, his "redemption" (as some apparently want to see it) would have been more compelling if he had rejected his promised reward. . . rather than realizing he was never going to get it anyways, so he might as well stop being a dick for his last 5 seconds of life.

All Desmond had to do was put the thought in his head that no matter what he would do, Sayid would never get her back. Not in this life or the alternate. Like they said in the show, "If you let him talk, it's already too late."

I never used the word 'redemption', just 'sense'. The problem with Sayid was that he was supposed to be 'filled with darkness' and by his own admission he felt empty or emotionless. He had followed FLocke's orders to the letter since leaving the temple. So, yes, I'd say that first choosing not to kill Desmond, then disobeying FLocke, and finally trying to save the people on the sub and Desmond are all signs of him 'coming around'.

All Desmond had to do was put the thought in his head that no matter what he would do, Sayid would never get her back. Not in this life or the alternate. Like they said in the show, "If you let him talk, it's already too late."

But, he didn't do that. He just asked him what he'd tell her should he actually get her back. How would he explain his actions? In other words, would he be worthy of actually having her and of her love for him? In other words, he awakened his conscience.

The problem, however, is aside from not murdering Desmond (someone he's come to know) in cold blood, and lying to Locke (only to cover his ass), we didn't see Sayid do anything truly redemptive before he had nothing to lose by being a good guy again.

Edited by Hurin

I agree with you that Sayid really wasnt doing all that for redemption and that was a "meh" moment for him and what the fcuk might as well die hard and fast rather than drown. And yes Dammit I forgot the weasel Ben. I think he will pay for all the murders he has commited!. But I dont like Alternate Realities. Although Scientifically, String theory does suggest that they could exist but travel between two would be Most Improbable with current scientific methods. And then there are the island whisperers. Should we see them in an alternate reality? I dont buy into the conscience being shared into alternate universes. I have trouble enough dealing with one reality. I want to see a happy ending for Jin, Sun, Sawyer, Kate, Miles, Richard, Juliet, Ana, Frank, Locke, Jack, Hugo, Charlie, Ecko, Daniel, Sayid, the jap dude, the flight attendant, the fat dude (i liked him he was funny) and Libby in the original reality. This is the reality I have been dealing with for 5 seasons. I could be more accepting if I got introduced into another alternate universe earlier on in say season 3 but not in the last season as a cheap way of writing yourself a finish! With the introduction of The White King and Black King I really hate both characters no matter the way in which they sacrifice the lambs for good or bad they are just plain uncaring and lack any empathy unless to the benefit of their immediate need. I think that reality should swallow them in some black hole vortex where they no longer are able to do any damage.

At this rate its getting so bizarre that im willing to accept Godzilla along with Mothra coming to kill smokey and end of storey with Jack the only left and seeing him in the sunset ontop of godzilla back to civilization

Edited by Snail00

He could have just sat there like a zombie or shot himself or cried like a baby, but his 'redemption' is in taking the bomb as far from them as he could to save his friends. The script writers had time to think about it, but In Universe, it would have been an instinctive split second decision without time for alot of contemplation or playing the angles at vengeance.

But then the idea that the MiB could give him his girl back is kinda absurdly naive on the face of it, so Sayid is lost from that point (no pun intended). :ph34r:

...At this rate its getting so bizarre...

so everything prior was in the realm of believability? That's kind of a funny statement, because from Day One, I think people expected Godzilla on the island, judging from the trailers before it aired.

Okay, first. . . Sayid didn't get into the sub knowing that Locke wasn't going to make it. So he didn't have the choice to "stay with him like Claire" since Locke only got, er, locked out of the sub when the last person at the hatch, Sawyer, saw him coming and sealed the hatch before Locke could board.

Second, it's strange the way people equate not doing evil as a positive good. Sayid's decision not to commit cold-blooded murder (of Desmond) isn't a "good" act. . . it's just not being downright evil. For his decision to demonstrate him to be "coming around" or redeeming himself, he'd have to have made it in the face of known, undesirable consequences. Such as having Locke standing there with him and telling him the "deal" (for the return of Nadia) would be off if he didn't do it. Deciding that he might be able to get away with not murdering Desmond and just lying to Locke about it shows only that he won't murder his friends if it's not clearly necessary.

Also, nobody seems to consider: He did leave Desmond there. What exactly did he expect would happen to Desmond? Had the sub not blown up, how exactly was Sayid expecting to get word back that there was a dude trapped in a well that might need a ladder? Why didn't he let Desmond out of the well if he was "coming around" and wasn't still willing to serve Locke/MIB? Even as a pretty evil m-fer, he may not have been willing to pull the trigger himself if he didn't believe it necessary, or would avoid it if he could. But if he was actually "coming around," you'd think he'd have also freed Desmond in addition to, ya know, not shooting him in the skull.

As with saving his friends, and telling them where Desmond was. . . he only did so when he realized he was about to die, that Nadia was not going to be returned to him, and that he had nothing left to lose. It may have been his attempt at redemption in the last moment. And the results may have well been beneficial to some of his friends. But there is no getting around the fact that he played bomb boy only when he was certain not to get what he wanted by being an a-hole any further. And, in fact, he may have tried to save his friends only to spite Locke/MIB who had by now clearly betrayed him.

And finally, saying that Sayid never should have believed that Nadia being returned to him was possible. . . why? Because it's unrealistic? The guy turns into a farting pillar of smoke. And, as Sayid said, he (Sayid) had been resurrected himself. At this point, given what Sayid has already seen and experienced, he had no reason to doubt that such a thing was possible. For f's sake, can we stop talking about plausibility where Lost is concerned?

Sayid was one of my favorite characters. He's been handled poorly this season. First, he's a good guy struggling with demons. Then he's a zombie whom we're told is now fully evil (or headed that way). Then, he has a conversation with Desmond, decides not to murder a friend, carries a bomb to the other end of a submarine when he realizes he's going to die anyways. . . and we're supposed to consider that a good arc for the character? I'm not about to get all bent out of shape about it since other things (everything) in life is more important than how a fictional character met his end. . . but you guys are giving the writers way too much benefit of the doubt and/or credit here. That character arc was disappointing and ultimately trivializes what was once one of Lost's most compelling characters.

For f's sake, can we stop talking about plausibility where Lost is concerned?

yes!

For f's sake, can we stop talking about plausibility where Lost is concerned?

Sayid was one of my favorite characters... but you guys are giving the writers way too much benefit of the doubt and/or credit here. That character arc was disappointing and ultimately trivializes what was once one of Lost's most compelling characters.

See... this is where people are complaining too late. I've always accused LOST of being too Jackcentric, from the beginning. Funny since this was a character meant to die in the first ep. But they've always concentrated too much on him to where you kinda got that the series was all about him and everyone else is a side character. One of my favorite episodes was the Claire/psychic episodes and I was really hoping they would go somewhere more substantial with that. But at this point heads are rolling arbitrarily because they kept them on too long instead of finishing them off at a good cut off point. Maybe Jin should have died when the boat exploded, Sayid should have died in the temple. and Jack's most significant last flashback was lame (with his son playing piano) bacause there was no where else to go with that character... it was just a rehash of what he was struggling with. While everyone else's was fun and interesting (Jin getting caught with Sun, Sawyer and Miles as cops and best of all... Richards origin story.)

But I think we're were finally suppose to be. The 4 central characters (yeah them... you know. the same ones that were led by Michael to the others) going off to settle things.

But yeah... Sayid deserved a better death scene.... probably in the fight against Dogen. A guy like that has to go out kicking ass.

And I think they coulda stretched The Kwon's final scene too. They're episodes have always been the saddest and when you finally get the last heartbreakng scene, it cuts to a commercial with a guy getting bit by a shark trying to quit smoking....

But really... this show has the most adventure I've seen in a TV show.... and more than most movies.

What's the odds on a half-assed movie slapped together coming out within the next few years, in order to answer all the "questions" that they've admitted will be left unanswered as of the finale.

Okay, first. . . Sayid didn't get into the sub knowing that Locke wasn't going to make it. So he didn't have the choice to "stay with him like Claire" since Locke only got, er, locked out of the sub when the last person at the hatch, Sawyer, saw him coming and sealed the hatch before Locke could board.

Second, it's strange the way people equate not doing evil as a positive good. Sayid's decision not to commit cold-blooded murder (of Desmond) isn't a "good" act. . . it's just not being downright evil. For his decision to demonstrate him to be "coming around" or redeeming himself, he'd have to have made it in the face of known, undesirable consequences. Such as having Locke standing there with him and telling him the "deal" (for the return of Nadia) would be off if he didn't do it. Deciding that he might be able to get away with not murdering Desmond and just lying to Locke about it shows only that he won't murder his friends if it's not clearly necessary.

Also, nobody seems to consider: He did leave Desmond there. What exactly did he expect would happen to Desmond? Had the sub not blown up, how exactly was Sayid expecting to get word back that there was a dude trapped in a well that might need a ladder? Why didn't he let Desmond out of the well if he was "coming around" and wasn't still willing to serve Locke/MIB? Even as a pretty evil m-fer, he may not have been willing to pull the trigger himself if he didn't believe it necessary, or would avoid it if he could. But if he was actually "coming around," you'd think he'd have also freed Desmond in addition to, ya know, not shooting him in the skull.

As with saving his friends, and telling them where Desmond was. . . he only did so when he realized he was about to die, that Nadia was not going to be returned to him, and that he had nothing left to lose. It may have been his attempt at redemption in the last moment. And the results may have well been beneficial to some of his friends. But there is no getting around the fact that he played bomb boy only when he was certain not to get what he wanted by being an a-hole any further. And, in fact, he may have tried to save his friends only to spite Locke/MIB who had by now clearly betrayed him.

And finally, saying that Sayid never should have believed that Nadia being returned to him was possible. . . why? Because it's unrealistic? The guy turns into a farting pillar of smoke. And, as Sayid said, he (Sayid) had been resurrected himself. At this point, given what Sayid has already seen and experienced, he had no reason to doubt that such a thing was possible. For f's sake, can we stop talking about plausibility where Lost is concerned?

Sayid was one of my favorite characters. He's been handled poorly this season. First, he's a good guy struggling with demons. Then he's a zombie whom we're told is now fully evil (or headed that way). Then, he has a conversation with Desmond, decides not to murder a friend, carries a bomb to the other end of a submarine when he realizes he's going to die anyways. . . and we're supposed to consider that a good arc for the character? I'm not about to get all bent out of shape about it since other things (everything) in life is more important than how a fictional character met his end. . . but you guys are giving the writers way too much benefit of the doubt and/or credit here. That character arc was disappointing and ultimately trivializes what was once one of Lost's most compelling characters.

Well that said Sayid is one of my favourite characters along with Miles Charlie, Eko and Sawyer and well they got Bitch slapped. Except for Sawyer of course. Go Ud Zillllllaaaaaaaaaa

Edited by Snail00

I think Emilie de Ravin needs to work on acting Pregnant

QFT. I thought the same thing.

I also agree that some characters should have been lopped off the show in better fashions in earlier episodes. Sayid has a good following so I guess it makes sense that they kept him around as long as possible but I still would have liked to see something more. His story arch has been pretty screwy for a long while now... ever since he started working for Ben only to end up trying to kill him as a child. I wish they had set him up as a third point in the Locke, Jack dynamic since he clearly had strength and resolve.

Seems like the spoiler tags work like VBulletin's...

Jacob, ya dumbass...See what happens when you toss someone down that light?? And it had to be your brother...

After seeing this latest episode, I don't know how they are going to end this in 3 more epidodes... so many questions needed to be answer.

Last nights episode was great. I really enjoyed what was the sort of staple storey line of Lost. The attachment to the island and general feeling of mankind being "lost" regardless of where they lived. We now see how Jacob and his brother are really not that different in terms of empathy, jealeously and deciet.

Interesting how Dead is Really Dead as the weasel stated. Jacobs brother (Able??) really was born from a Well of Light into what his heart was at the point of being betrayed a Smoke monster. Kinda of hard to figure out the timeline. I think its fairly modern era with Metal weapons being so good and refined as they are and the fact they can install a wheel/lever with connections to the light source. No explanation of what civilization they came from. What were the origins of the Women guarding the light. I wish the writers would have at least gone to the very beggining to understand things more. Now the women is a mystery. How strange to protect the island from the evils of man that they would commit murder to protect such virtue. Twisted. To me at least, Jacobs brother was the purer soul of the two.

I've been wondering about the timeline too of when Claudia washed ashore on the island. Anyone know what language they were speaking in the first few minutes? According to Lostpedia she is wearing a Stola, which was a female attire during the time of the Roman Empire.

I'm guessing the island had jumped to the Mediterranean during that time.

Last nights episode was great. I really enjoyed what was the sort of staple storey line of Lost. The attachment to the island and general feeling of mankind being "lost" regardless of where they lived. We now see how Jacob and his brother are really not that different in terms of empathy, jealeously and deciet.

Interesting how Dead is Really Dead as the weasel stated. Jacobs brother (Able??) really was born from a Well of Light into what his heart was at the point of being betrayed a Smoke monster. Kinda of hard to figure out the timeline. I think its fairly modern era with Metal weapons being so good and refined as they are and the fact they can install a wheel/lever with connections to the light source. No explanation of what civilization they came from. What were the origins of the Women guarding the light. I wish the writers would have at least gone to the very beggining to understand things more. Now the women is a mystery. How strange to protect the island from the evils of man that they would commit murder to protect such virtue. Twisted. To me at least, Jacobs brother was the purer soul of the two.

Lostpedia says it was sometime around 450BC-900AD which is a pretty broad range but fits with the style of dress and other things shown.

I believe the language was Latin based but I can't be sure. A few words almost sounded Gaelic (Romans occupied Britian around that time period). The Others who killed the Hog looked somewhat Norsk to me, as in Vikings (based on style of dress and ornamentation), they would have also been active around that time period.

I've been wondering about the timeline too of when Claudia washed ashore on the island. Anyone know what language they were speaking in the first few minutes? According to Lostpedia she is wearing a Stola, which was a female attire during the time of the Roman Empire.

I'm guessing the island had jumped to the Mediterranean during that time.

They were speaking Latin. The pronunciation of some of the words were very Romantic so I'm sure it was Latin.

wasn't a big fan of the ep. last night. I like the idea but I didn't think it revealed enough to dedicate it's own show. I guess the biggest reveal was the fact that the body in the cave was MIB and crazy lady from West Wing. And I personally didn't think she fit the part either. Probably my least favorite of all the shows this season. I'm not against the non regular cast eps. either... its just didn't compare to Richard's episode. Otherwise I think the guy that plays MIB is pretty awesome. And the kid that played him too. For some reason I think we could have used an extended storyline on this subject. What exactly made MIB dislike the castaways so much but still wanted to go out into a world full of them. But the question I would want answered is, why Jacob can leave the island and what gave him the duty to keep MIB in? I didn't think that was part of the job description. Interesting stuff, but presented poorly, IMO.

I was kind of "meh" on that episode. I suppose in the next episode we'll see MIB reborn in some fashion. I don't get all the "you can't come back from being dead" stuff... except for the guy who keeps coming back from being dead. Is he stuck in some sort of purgatory because Jacob was under a spell that kept him from killing his brother but he went ahead and killed his brother anyway? Is this going to link to Sayid's coming back and the "infection" that was referred to earlier? I dunno, not a whole lot of time left. How did the lady kill everyone at the camp? Why didn't she just do that earlier before her son left her to join them?

The one bright spot would be the wrapping of the mystery of who built the wheel that moves the island... otherwise I can't help but feel we could have gotten a whole lot more out of an episode focusing on Jacob and his brother.

I saw the end of this on t.v. last night and watched the whole thing again tonight (I can't stand commercials, they totally ruin this show for me).

At any rate, I enjoyed it way more the second time around. Not a ton of answers but I enjoyed seeing young MIB and Jacob. I think those kids did a great job. I agree that west-wing-lady may not have been the best choice of actress for mother.

I still don't get wtf the smoke monster is? If MIB is actually dead an smokey is born of...what? Life, death rebirth...mixed with a little MIB corpse...wtf does it want to leave the island so bad?

Still enjoyed it but more and more questions (annoying). I get the feeling the writers built up a bigger story than they were capable of completing. It's cool that they don't want to spell everything out for you but damn, give us a little something!

I still don't get wtf the smoke monster is? If MIB is actually dead an smokey is born of...what? Life, death rebirth...mixed with a little MIB corpse...wtf does it want to leave the island so bad?

Still enjoyed it but more and more questions (annoying). I get the feeling the writers built up a bigger story than they were capable of completing. It's cool that they don't want to spell everything out for you but damn, give us a little something!

I think Smokey just uses the form of MIB or whomever dies, just like it used the form of Locke. This episode felt like a lead in to next week's episode, "What They Died For".

I guess that the light that made Jacob's spirit immortal did the same for MIB (whytf didnt they ever name him... that's the islands biggest mystery...) except his body wasn't preserved because he didnt take the Koolaid. It's funny because MIB smashes the wine bottle later on.

Another question is that, who built the wall that hid the light on the other side. Because obviously, if they meant to build it with the wheel then they wouldnt have had to crack it open as an afterthought... so the history of the island goes further back than crazy WW lady.

I think Smokey just uses the form of MIB or whomever dies, just like it used the form of Locke. This episode felt like a lead in to next week's episode, "What They Died For".

Right, but Mother said that she made it so that Jacob and MIB couldn't kill each other. Moreover when Jacob was about to toss MIB down the water slide he said that he wasn't going to kill him. So smokey must be a bit of MIB...kind of? wtf?

saw this on digg today and it made me laugh, I like the heaving breathing bit hehehe:

http://graphjam.com/2010/05/07/funny-graphs-think-lost/

I guess that the light that made Jacob's spirit immortal did the same for MIB (whytf didnt they ever name him... that's the islands biggest mystery...) except his body wasn't preserved because he didnt take the Koolaid. It's funny because MIB smashes the wine bottle later on.

Another question is that, who built the wall that hid the light on the other side. Because obviously, if they meant to build it with the wheel then they wouldnt have had to crack it open as an afterthought... so the history of the island goes further back than crazy WW lady.

oh yeah, he didn't drink the koolaid did he? I'm not sure what that means though (hahaha). And yes, they should have told us MIBs name, they said Jacob like two-dozen times in that ep.

I was waiting all season for this episode and while I still enjoyed it, it didn't live up to my expectations.

Edited by spacemanoeuvres

Yeah, I don't like to talk to non fans about Lost because they're never gonna get it. And I hate fans that try because they DO sound retarded. That's like a physicist trying to explain the string theory to a MTV reality star.

Since the last ep. I can't help but think that the tragedies are being mishandled. Jin and Sun's last scene was rushed, especially since their episodes are always the most touching, Sayid's was totally negligible. I'm sure if they would have given either one of those scenes an extra 5 minutes it would have been more effective.

And now I just didn't feel like the wacky mom was at all sympathetic, even though she was a homicidal maniac, there still should have been some sort of connection to the audience because her character kinda held the key to the island's importance. If I don't care about the state of the island then why have I been following the story for six years. Anyway... final rant.

Next week! Back on track!