Worst Science Fiction Film of All Time

JELEINEN

I'm not going to name some obscure B-movies. From the A-list:

Worst of all: Star Trek 5 The Final Frontier: the less said the better.

Worst Sequel: Matrix Revolutions: Only time in the cinema I have seen the audience get really angry at the crappiness of a film.

Hey, it ABSOLUTELY CAN'T be any worse than "Shark Attack 3"...

But was Shark Attack 3: Megalodon presented in 3D? And this is The Asylum we're talking about - the company that made Transmorphers and other "Mockbusters" (blatant ripoffs of Hollywood blockbusters).

I remember reading this not too long ago in Yahoo and the main dish of Crappiness was anything done by Kevin Costner!..

With the exception of Dances With Wolves, Costner does not belong on the director's chair. Waterworld was absolute crap, and I didn't bother with The Postman at all.

But was Shark Attack 3: Megalodon presented in 3D? And this is The Asylum we're talking about - the company that made Transmorphers and other "Mockbusters" (blatant ripoffs of Hollywood blockbusters).

Shark Attack 3 didn't NEED gimmicks like 3D...its greatest strength lay in its clever and witty dialogue. ;)

Absolutely worst sci-fi movie of all time:

The first Starship Troopers. Let's just say I read the Heinlien masterpiece before watching that POS on videotape. Dig up my rant thread on Robotech.com to get the details (I'd link to it if I could, but Steve Yun, in his ultimate wisdom {and lack of sense of humor} decided to permaban me from that site). To say I didn't like the film is putting it mildly.

Although I can make a case for Plan 9 From Outer Space, but since it became a cult classic because Ed Wood went out of his way to make that movie as terrible as it was, I give it second place.

I think many of you guys are missing the point of this thread which is WORST science fiction film OF ALL TIME.. The fact that we are trying to find the worst means there should be only one. Some of the nominations here are not all that bad, and can easily be outdone by an even worse movie. Therefore, if it can easily be out done in "worstness" then it should not even be mentioned in the first place.

To me, a movie has to have the worst plot, the worst acting, the worst special effects, the worst editing, etc in order to even be nominated. While a movie like the Phantom Menace was arguably the worst Star Wars movie that has been made, it wasn't so bad as to be considered the worst movie out of all sci-fi movies ever. You can't even begin to tell me that the beginning and the end of Phantom Menace wasn't pretty cool to watch. I think we should try to be a little more objective here.

2001: A Space Odyssey? C'mon, it might have been a little slow paced, but it is an all time classic sci-fi film. You have to keep it in perspective of the time period in which it was made. That was ground breaking stuff for it's day, and the special effects still hold water IMHO.

Star Trek: The Motion Picture? Man, I'm not even gonna start with how that is so NOT the worst sci-fi movie ever.

I've noticed that some of the movies seem to be nominated because they are classified as "boring". But, it seems to me that a lot of these "boring" movies are the type of movies that make you think more than the typical action/sci-fi flick. And that makes me lose a lot of respect for some of you. :p Now if it's a boring movie on top of having a terrible plot, acting, special effects, etc, then you may have something worth nominating.

BTW, if you think Starship Troopers 2 was bad I would have to call attention to a little movie called Starship Troopers 3. :p

My nomination is Superman 4 - The Quest for Peace

The first Starship Troopers. Let's just say I read the Heinlien masterpiece before watching that POS on videotape. Dig up my rant thread on Robotech.com to get the details (I'd link to it if I could, but Steve Yun, in his ultimate wisdom {and lack of sense of humor} decided to permaban me from that site). To say I didn't like the film is putting it mildly.

?????

It's not a great movie by any stretch, but worst of all time? Wrose than Battlefield Earth? Worse than Monster a-Go-Go? Worse than Star Wars Episode I? Worse than Invasion from Inner Earth? Worse than The Giant Spider Invasion? Worse than The Incredible Melting Man? Worse than Species II? Worse than Teenagers from Outer Space? Worse than Bride of the Monster? Worse than Red Planet? Worse than Event Horizon? Worse than Marooned? Worse than Breeders? Worse than Demonwarp? Worse than Message from Space? Worse than H-Man? Worse than Inframan? Worse than Dos Nacos de la Planeta de las Mujeres? WORSE THAN TURKISH STAR WARS???

I don't believe it.

I dunno why people are always picking on B-movies such as Plan 9 as the worst film ever. I think that big budget fiascoes are much worse than no-budget schlock.

An excellent comparison would be "Plan 9 from Outer Space" Vs. "Waterworld".

Now, Plan 9 is the film that a *lot* of people love to put at the top of their list of worse films and its a very easy target. A z-grade sci-fi pic with an incomprehensible plot, poor acting and really bad special effects. Sure, its not a great film, but with a budget of only $60,000 however, its not worth getting too worked up about.

Waterworld, however with a budget of 175 million dollars is a huge steaming and expensive pile of shite!! I'll say that again 175 MILLION DOLLARS.

Thats $175,000,000

And what do we get for that? A really poor pisstake of Mad Max with some really hideous acting and a very daft plotline.

By those sort of definitions, I would easily consider Waterworld to be one of the worst films made.

The other sort of film I hate are the "I would like to thank the Academy" pieces of shite. Films that everybody raves about that win ACADEMY AWARDS but are in fact absolute garbage. The English Patient, Titanic and Forrest Gump all had scripts that could have been written by five-year olds with crayons and yet people LOVED that crap and they won best picture.

Anyway, rant over, for now....

I dunno why people are always picking on B-movies such as Plan 9 as the worst film ever. I think that big budget fiascoes are much worse than no-budget schlock.

An excellent comparison would be "Plan 9 from Outer Space" Vs. "Waterworld".

Now, Plan 9 is the film that a *lot* of people love to put at the top of their list of worse films and its a very easy target. A z-grade sci-fi pic with an incomprehensible plot, poor acting and really bad special effects. Sure, its not a great film, but with a budget of only $60,000 however, its not worth getting too worked up about.

Waterworld, however with a budget of 175 million dollars is a huge steaming and expensive pile of shite!! I'll say that again 175 MILLION DOLLARS.

Thats $175,000,000

And what do we get for that? A really poor pisstake of Mad Max with some really hideous acting and a very daft plotline.

By those sort of definitions, I would easily consider Waterworld to be one of the worst films made.

The other sort of film I hate are the "I would like to thank the Academy" pieces of shite. Films that everybody raves about that win ACADEMY AWARDS but are in fact absolute garbage. The English Patient, Titanic and Forrest Gump all had scripts that could have been written by five-year olds with crayons and yet people LOVED that crap and they won best picture.

Anyway, rant over, for now....

I think Plan 9 always gets on the list because it's really quite entertaining...very funny and utterly baffling at the same time. Thus, it's a terrible movie that you can recommend to your friends and NOT have them hate you.

Waterworld, Battlefield Earth, The Postman, and the like are, on the other hand, true endurance tests. Which, yes, makes them worse, but also makes them much less fun to watch.

Point #1. Starship Troopers was actually a good film. Anything about it that was a bit schlocky was intentional so I am willing to forgive. Might not be the best book-film adaptation but I doubt its the worst either.

Point #2. Is this place just a refugee detention centre for Robotech.com?

Point #3. Love the avatar, but everybody knows that Minsc (and Boo) were the best. B)) B))

Taksraven

Waterworld, Battlefield Earth, The Postman, and the like are, on the other hand, true endurance tests. Which, yes, makes them worse, but also makes them much less fun to watch.

why does everyone rag on The Postman, Postman was a decent (ridiculously long but decent) movie. Much better than Waterworld (which wasn't that bad either) and orders of magnitude better than Dances with wolves (if were talking about Kevin Costner films).

as for the truly worst movie. From a quality perspective only (i.e. worst acting, worst writing, worst directing, worst special effects etc. etc.) I'd say Plan 9 but

the scifi Film with the fewest redeeming qualities however is for me Battlefield earth.

I prefer to not count the strait to DVD Mockbuster, Scifi channel Saturday evening movie crap as they aren't even trying to be decent movies.

also one more things; if we're going to be bringing up SW episode 1, I'd like to say that the original SW trilogy is the single most overrated pile in all of SciFi. Star Wars is unoriginal cliche schlock, and people eat this sh*t up. :wacko:

Edited by anime52k8

why does everyone rag on The Postman, Postman was a decent (ridiculously long but decent) movie. Much better than Waterworld (which wasn't that bad either) and orders of magnitude better than Dances with wolves (if were talking about Kevin Costner films).

as for the truly worst movie. From a quality perspective only (i.e. worst acting, worst writing, worst directing, worst special effects etc. etc.) I'd say Plan 9 but

the scifi Film with the fewest redeeming qualities however is for me Battlefield earth.

I prefer to not count the strait to DVD Mockbuster, Scifi channel Saturday evening movie crap as they aren't even trying to be decent movies.

also one more things; if we're going to be bringing up SW episode 1, I'd like to say that the original SW trilogy is the single most overrated pile in all of SciFi. Star Wars is unoriginal cliche schlock, and people eat this sh*t up. :wacko:

Okay, I'll admit it. I've never seen the Postman all the way through. I tried to watch it once on HBO, and just couldn't finish. The book was good, though.

And yes, the first Star Wars is utterly ridiculous, but in a really fun way. Episode I on the other hand, had some saving graces, but not many.

I don't really think of Star as being SF, though. It's more like fantasy with SF trappings.

but see, when the original SW movies were made, those things weren't horribly cliched. Not a lot of people were watching japanese movies and they weren't studying eastern mysticism and religions.

It's the huge success of SW that made the format and material cliched.

5th Element. Can spot the mistakes in the poor editing a mile away.

Erm, you had time to care about editing with Mila Jovovich around? ^_^

critters 4. science fiction meets horror.

so, you thought that critters 3 was terrible...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101627

but you just had to go and watch critters 4 'cause of the cliffhanger in critters 3.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101628

this really bad horror movie qualifies as science fiction 'cause it takes place in space this time...

critters 4. science fiction meets horror.

so, you thought that critters 3 was terrible...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101627

but you just had to go and watch critters 4 'cause of the cliffhanger in critters 3.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101628

this really bad horror movie qualifies as science fiction 'cause it takes place in space this time...

God...that means Hellblazer IV, Leprechaun 4, and Jason X are all science fiction, too, doesn't it?

Y'know what? There are WAAAAAAY too many bad movies set in space.

Here's a stinker no one's mentioned:

Event Horizon. This film attempted to outdo Alien as the scariest film in space. Unfortunately, it wasn't scary and it was riddled with lots of plot holes and a bullsh!t ending.

Oh yeah, and it was directed by Paul W.S. Anderson. Go figure.

?????

It's not a great movie by any stretch, but worst of all time? Wrose than Battlefield Earth? Worse than Monster a-Go-Go? Worse than Star Wars Episode I? Worse than Invasion from Inner Earth? Worse than The Giant Spider Invasion? Worse than The Incredible Melting Man? Worse than Species II? Worse than Teenagers from Outer Space? Worse than Bride of the Monster? Worse than Red Planet? Worse than Event Horizon? Worse than Marooned? Worse than Breeders? Worse than Demonwarp? Worse than Message from Space? Worse than H-Man? Worse than Inframan? Worse than Dos Nacos de la Planeta de las Mujeres? WORSE THAN TURKISH STAR WARS???

I don't believe it.

Event Horizon.

Y'know what else no one's mentioned? A little movie called "Event Horizon." :p

Event Horizon. This film attempted to outdo Alien as the scariest film in space. Unfortunately, it wasn't scary and it was riddled with lots of plot holes and a bullsh!t ending.

Oh yeah, and it was directed by Paul W.S. Anderson. Go figure.

and yet it's widely considered to be his best movie... go figure. :lol:

God...that means Hellblazer IV, Leprechaun 4, and Jason X are all science fiction, too, doesn't it?

Y'know what? There are WAAAAAAY too many bad movies set in space.

i've never seen any of the hellblazer or leprechaun movies. jason x was based in space???

dammit, now i'm down to zero scifi movies listed in this thread.

macross 7. wait, that's not a film.

ok, there was a third copycat movie after armageddon and deep impact (i never saw deep impact).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120591

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120647

called judgement day with mario van peebles and ice t.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0221309

i wasted my time watching this on hbo. somebody tell ice t that he can't act. oOo wait, ice t said in an interview that he can't act, he's just hustling hollywood.

Edited by DJ Loe Kee

Ah, true, but it wasn't really discussed until now.

Good point. I'm not sure what to say about it, though, except that I'm not sure I've ever seen Sam Neill in a good movie...

Anyway, what's everyone's favorite overused sci-fi plot? Mine's the one where some astronauts go up into space, but when they come back...something came with them...

It worked great in Quartermass. And then sucked horribly in Monster a-Go-Go, The Incredible Melting Man, Species II, and The Astronaut's Wife.

event horizon > judgement day

i remember seeing event horizon, i just can't remember anything about the movie. it must have been an "aight" movie 'cause i remember movies that "suck really, really bad".

There's the plot of some strange meteorite or random object crashing into Earth and infesting the human population. The most recent example is Slither.

Ooh, that IS a good one...also used in The Blob, Creepshow, and The Giant Spider Invasion (although there, they weren't technically from space, but from a black hole near some guy's barn).

(Yes, you read that correctly. A black hole. Near some guy's barn.)

New Hope was alright (the attack on the Death Star was brilliant), Empire was fantastically dark and enjoyable and Jedi was a lot better than a lot of people seem to want to think (sure Ewoks sucked and a few other parts were not as great as they could have been). Sure, the original trilogy was not perfect or very original and even though my tastes have broadened and matured I can still hear the 5-year old part of my spirit reminding me that at the time, there was NOTHING to compare to it.

Taksraven

I don't really think of Star as being SF, though. It's more like fantasy with SF trappings.

A good description, especially with the Force really just being 'magic'.

Taksraven

but see, when the original SW movies were made, those things weren't horribly cliched. Not a lot of people were watching japanese movies and they weren't studying eastern mysticism and religions.

It's the huge success of SW that made the format and material cliched.

Exactly right, as I have already said, at the time it came out there was NOTHING else to compare to it in the SF/adventure genre. At least, in Western entertainment.

Taksraven

Good point. I'm not sure what to say about it, though, except that I'm not sure I've ever seen Sam Neill in a good movie...

Sirens was a great film but I wasn't looking at him in that. D-R-O-O-L!!!!!!

Taksraven