Quick question about the bandai 1/60 dx's and the new yamato 2.0 v

Thai Boxer 9901

So sorry about the long title but I am curious about the size difference between the 2. I was/am thinking about gretting the 2.0 vf-1s hikaru from hlj but the bandai 1/60 dx super alto also caught my eye. So my question is, are the about the same size or is bandais and yamatos definition of 1/60 scale different from one another?

Scale is scale. The VF-25 is simply a much larger craft than the VF-1 in "real life". They are to the same scale, but are very different sizes. If you want a VF-1 that is the same SIZE as a DX VF-25, you will need to get a different scale---like 1/48--which'd then be out-of-scale with every other valk. The VF-1 is just plain a lot smaller than other valks, it SHOULDN'T match the others in size. It'd be like if a Mylene or Ranka figure was the same height as Roy or Basara--they should be different sizes, or they'll look "off".

I don't think the DX's where ever "officially" 1/60 scale where they? I checked my VF-27 box/manual and it dosen't state it anywhere. I don't have a VF-25 box handy but I don't remember it being there either.....anyone?

From my review of the DX27 I'm posting tonight:

DX-VF-27-6.jpg

Like others have noted, both can be 1/60 but the VF-25/27 are larger than a VF-1 if they existed in real life so the toy is larger than a VF-1 toy. Above picture is just for a rough comparison of size.

I don't think the DX's where ever "officially" 1/60 scale where they? I checked my VF-27 box/manual and it dosen't state it anywhere. I don't have a VF-25 box handy but I don't remember it being there either.....anyone?

hmm i think.. if the vf 25//27 made by the yamato it will be as big as the sv 51.. i think bandai is kinda cheap and made it smaller then the scale :p

hmm i think.. if the vf 25//27 made by the yamato it will be as big as the sv 51.. i think bandai is kinda cheap and made it smaller then the scale :p

then yamato would have made it wrong since the vf-27 is shorter than the sv-51 by 4 meters.

Fun with math... da da da:

VF-27 is 14.43Meters tall in battroid. Divide that by 60 then multiply by 100 (to get to centimeters). If I'm doing my math right that's 24.05CM tall... and my measurement of the Bandai toy has it at 26.5CM tall... so it's slightly too big. However, it's about 24 CM exactly to the crown of the head... so it's essentially spot on at 1/60 if that's how height was derived.

Let's try fighter. It's supposed to be 18.8 meters long, that converts to 31.33CM at 1/60 scale and my rough measurement has to toy at 32CM... so pretty darn close to a perfect 1/60 again.

But Jenius (I'm implying you write), what about Yamato's V2 VF-1 toy? A 1/60 VF-1 toy would be 21.33CM tall which is just about right for Yamato's VF-1 toy if we ignore the lasers on the head. It should be 23.7CM long in fighter mode and the Yamato is again nearly perfectly spot on at 24CM.

Fun with math... da da da:

VF-27 is 14.43Meters tall in battroid. Divide that by 60 then multiply by 100 (to get to centimeters). If I'm doing my math right that's 24.05CM tall... and my measurement of the Bandai toy has it at 26.5CM tall... so it's slightly too big. However, it's about 24 CM exactly to the crown of the head... so it's essentially spot on at 1/60 if that's how height was derived.

Let's try fighter. It's supposed to be 18.8 meters long, that converts to 31.33CM at 1/60 scale and my rough measurement has to toy at 32CM... so pretty darn close to a perfect 1/60 again.

I just checked the boxes for my VF-27 and VF-25S Full Armor, and they don't say 1/60 scale anywhere on them. That said, your math is right and they're the right size relative to the 1/60 Yamato valks I have.

then yamato would have made it wrong since the vf-27 is shorter than the sv-51 by 4 meters.

well i don't no about their actual size.. *does kawamori release the official weight and length of every fighter* i'm always see vf 25/27 asa a fighter that was in scale with modern sukhoi series.. *and sukhoi is a big bird* and the vf is as big as f 18/mig 29.. the yf 19 is as big as the f 15.. so it's should be bigger than this... IMHO

well i don't no about their actual size.. *does kawamori release the official weight and length of every fighter* i'm always see vf 25/27 asa a fighter that was in scale with modern sukhoi series.. *and sukhoi is a big bird* and the vf is as big as f 18/mig 29.. the yf 19 is as big as the f 15.. so it's should be bigger than this... IMHO

vf-27 http://www.macross2.net/m3/macrossf/vf-27.htm

sv 51 http://www.macross2.net/m3/macrosszero/sv-51.htm

:)

Remember...it's not the size of your VF, it's how you use it! :ph34r:

well the problem is.. i'm gather all my vf base on scale.. and when it come to the vf 25.. they look like of the scale against all those yamato.. i mean.. the vf25 is big.. but why is it..i always feel like it's more tiny compare to those yamato.. :(

well the problem is.. i'm gather all my vf base on scale.. and when it come to the vf 25.. they look like of the scale against all those yamato.. i mean.. the vf25 is big.. but why is it..i always feel like it's more tiny compare to those yamato.. :(

You just compared to the smallest VF-1. Try to compare to 1/60 VF-0, YF-19... Then the VF-25s look small.

The VF-1 is among the smallest of VFs, so it is not surprising that the VF-25 would look bigger at the same scale... in fact, I thought that the VF-25 should have been a tad bigger for the same scale.

The VF-1 is among the smallest of VFs, so it is not surprising that the VF-25 would look bigger at the same scale... in fact, I thought that the VF-25 should have been a tad bigger for the same scale.

yes i understand about the basic principal that vf 1 is a small airplane.. and so on.. but why is it whe vf 25 were in jet / fighter mode i always have the feeling that the plane should be bigger than this.. just take a look at the cockpit.. it's no way that it look that small compare to the other vf that made by yamato.. that's kinda annoying for me.. :(

The VF-25 doesn't just look small, it is small compared to the YF-19. Here's a set of pics I originally posted on the "Strike a Pose!" thread:

and even with all those bulky armored pack it's still look small.. come on.. they should look more like the vf 19

Edited by valid

I decided to jump in this conversation. I always thought the cannon sizes for the VF-25 and -27 are a bit too small.

In the 1/72 model, the pilot is so small it looks exactly like a 1/100 Gundam pilot figure, and it already fills up the tiny cockpit perfectly, any bigger and the EX-gear would burst at the seams of the fuselage. Unless every single 1/72 pilot provided is Mr. Angeloni, I don't see how Mr. Lee would fit in being the big man he is. When I compare the DX VF-27 with the Yammie VF-0, both supposed to be very accurate and to-scale, the size of the 0's cockpit is freakin' huge, like the dome of the Capitol. Poor Brera and Ranka are cramped inside that extremely thin and elongated (narrow) aircraft toilet instead. C'mon, the new cockpits are even smaller than the VF-1's!!! My logic goes like this: pilots are humans so cockpits should accommodate them, no matter how big or small the rest of the craft, therefore cockpits/pilots should remain pretty much constant.

Visually, the designs of the 25 and 27 look like they could use a few more feet, even meters. I say they'd look more balanced (and pilots less like either sardines or undersized) if the valks were assigned a length of 22 meters...but that's non-cannon so pretend I didn't say that.

yes i understand about the basic principal that vf 1 is a small airplane.. and so on.. but why is it whe vf 25 were in jet / fighter mode i always have the feeling that the plane should be bigger than this.. just take a look at the cockpit.. it's no way that it look that small compare to the other vf that made by yamato.. that's kinda annoying for me.. :(

Actually I have the same sentiments exactly. The cockpit of the 25 look more like 1/72 when compared to the Yamato's.

For that reason, I always though that the 25 was undersized (though physically larger) relative to Yamato's VF-1 (even though the math seems to indidate that they are in fact 1/60, at least as far as fighter mode is concerned).

For that main reason, none of my 25s are displayed together with my VF-1s in fighter mode. I have them all in battroid, where the scale seems more, though not perfectly, in line with each other.

terrible movie reference is terrible.

I hate that movie so much, I honestly do.

anyways, to address the topic at hand...

well I'll start by quoting myself.

no...

IMG_0496.jpg

Brera is about the same size as isamu but with his legs less tucked in. Ranka is tiny because she's a loli and an amputee.

yeah, Brera in the VF-27 is the right size compared to Guld, VF-11 isamu, Generic VE-1 pilot and Generic Destroid pilot. brera looks slimmer because his flight suit is more form-fitting compared to the older suits, and he's smaller than Guld because Guld is just a huge guy.

now as for the VF-25 and VF-0. both of these have out of scale pilots. the VF-0 is too big (closer to maybe 1/50th) and the VF-25 is too small (closer to 1/72)

144b5sm.jpg

2zsmsro.jpg

so yeah, the VF-25 should have a bigger pilot.

as for how big cockpits should be and to add some real world perspective: the cockpits of real aircraft very greatly in size. Some planes are built with roomy interiors, others are cramped little sardine cans.

Edited by anime52k8

happy to see that i'm not the only one think that way.. let's just pray thay yamato would buy the license from bandai 1:60 and create a vf 25 that could be sit "proportionally" with my other 1:60 vf's

Edited by valid

no, that's been said repeatedly on this same page, the VF-25 and VF-27 ARE TO SCALE, measured in Fighter mode, they meet their "listed size" of 18 meters, so does the VF-0 by Yamato, and the SV-51 for that matter (pilot figures vary in size). Pilot figures can serve as a reference, but don't forget that if they had to put the same Brera gummy inside the VF-25 DX, they should still save some room for the EX-gear (never knew if the VF-27 pilots have one)...so getting rid of all the stuff in the cockpit for a bigger gummy pilot is cheating.

On screen, the cockpits may look roomy (VF-27 or SV-51 for instance) and in the correctly scaled toy, it's just too tight (I am comparing the VF-0's huge dome with that of the SV...). So it's probably the animators or SK himself screwing with our minds. We never really get a good look at the actual VF-27 interior because most of the time Brera is floating in cyberspace. I remember there were some design sketches of the interior but cannot find them, in any case, they looked like at least as big as the 25's in size.

Again, it's not that Bandai gave us an undersized or out of scale toy, I am trying to say that in the anime, the VF-25 and 27 look like they could be bigger than the official (?) stats, which were followed by the toy manufacturer.

Edited by regult

2zsmsro.jpg

I remember somehow there were drawings like this of the VF-27 cockpit, would you by chance have them too?

EDIT: found the schematics in Macross Frontier Official Fan Book, and the VF-27 front seat also seems to have the EX-gear system.

Edited by regult

happy to see that i'm not the only one think that way.. let's just pray thay yamato would buy the license from bandai 1:60 and create a vf 25 that could be sit "proportionally" with my other 1:60 vf's

Amen to that!

Speaking of scale, let's not forget about the size differences between the Isamu pilots for both the YF-19 and VF-11B. Both gummy figures are of a totally different size (you'll never be able to stuff a YF-19 Isamu into the VF-11B), despite the fact that these are two figures made by the same company, are of the same scale, and are piloted by the very same pilot.

Amen to that!

Speaking of scale, let's not forget about the size differences between the Isamu pilots for both the YF-19 and VF-11B. Both gummy figures are of a totally different size (you'll never be able to stuff a YF-19 Isamu into the VF-11B), despite the fact that these are two figures made by the same company, are of the same scale, and are piloted by the very same pilot.

yup, yamato fudges the pilot scales willy nilly as well

_DSC1104.jpg