Need CAD Software Suggestions/Help

MechTech

Fellow MW'ers, I need your help with choosing a good CAD software suite. If it does CAD/CAM that would be great too.

The TWO major must haves are:

1) Low cost. ($200 and under)

2) Ability to export for machining.

If it has the ability to import lineart from other software suites (like MS Office) that would be great for doing signs and other items.

I've looked at some software, but because I've no experience drawing in 3D, I'm at a loss for experience with some suites. I do a great deal of 2D drawing so that is no issue skill wise. In fact, I own the Corel Draw suite. Just my lack of experience with 3D software. And since I'm a model builder, the goal is to machine the item on a CNC router. I'm finally going to buy one after waiting years and years (which is also why the software needs to be low cost).

I have a great deal of experience using Corel and a laser engraver. It's time to move up to the 3D realm now!

Thanks in advance for your help! - MT

Mechtech you and I really need to get together. I own a CNC machine and I can help you with any questions. I use cut 2d and cut 3d. If you buy them together, the package is about $400. As far as 3D drawing software goes, if you have no experience then I would suggest Blender. It's freeware and there are lots of tutorials and help sites out there. Blender will export into an STL file or several others that your CNC can use. Rhino is a good program also but if you are inexperienced and budget minded try Blender. even if you don't like it, it didn't cost you anything. If you need any help, let me know I already have an Autodesk suite so perhaps I can at least get you started! I have both 3d studio Max and Autocad.