The Legendary VF-1 CG Reunion

DatterBoy

Hello everyone.

Back when I first joined MW, I came upon this thread where artists from all over the world had come and posted their work on CG modeling the VF-1. The work was so inspiring, that it prompted me to do my own version. Having some experience with modeling programs, I took my work there, and I was amazed at the willingness of the other modelers to help me develop my own piece with ad vice, critique, technical assistance, etc.

Needless to say, they became like my MW CG family and over a 2-3 year period helped me create what I believe to be the greatest CG work I have ever produced.

To this day, when I scour the web, the work produced on that thread has been rarely ever matched. And recently. one of the "veterans" posted some work from his VF-1 and I was inspired to bring them back.

So come! Post your work! Movies, images, whatever! However, this is by INVITATION ONLY! So please adhere to these rules on this thread.

1. You can only post if you have been invited by another Veteran.

2. Anyone can comment

3. Only post work that has not been seen on MW before. New stuff! Keep it fresh!

So I'm calling some of the guys I remember (so sorry if I missed you, I just worked with these guys more closely, but I am sure they will call you out to come and show your work).

Doktor Gonzo

Rodavan

Brianw76

Aztek

Let's do this. Maybe we can inspire a new generation of CG modelers.

m1.jpg

r3.jpg

r17.jpg

m2.jpg

r8.jpg

Cheers! And good to see you bastards again!

:Dat

Edited by DatterBoy

Sigh. You guys' stuff is so awesome. Soooo awesome. I wish I had maya. Or, alternately, I wish Autodesk would stop boning us on this and come up with a legit maya > max pipeline. Sheesh! Y'all MW Legends inspire me to do way better work.

Yo! Man its been a while and your guys stuff still looks great! I'm glad you are all still active!

I'll reinstall some software and see what I can put up!

please do. i'm drooling from all these stuff. i'm having an 80s nerdgasm again.

Sorry guys, got caught up late at work, only had the energy to set up a single render when I got home... so I figured I'd do an "apples to apples" with Dat's awesome first shot!

valk1.jpg

Wow! At first glancee I thought I was looking at a weathered 1/60 Yamato. Great stuff!!!

Working on a new render or two! And, if I might expand your list, Dat, we also saw amazing stuff back in the day from:

Ruak

Jay-Lew

LesParisek

Tober

Vinnie

and I'm sure others I'm forgetting...

Shucks, thanks Dok :)

Never modelled a VF-1 tho, just the VF-2SS, and that was almost 10 years ago :blink: Did some Mospeada stuff recently tho...

The VF-2SS needs revising, but I just don't have the time now...:

VF-2SS_Compile.jpg

Yes, I still have that background template.

--------------------------------------------

Keep 'em coming... B))

Shucks, thanks Dok :)

Never modelled a VF-1 tho, just the VF-2SS, and that was almost 10 years ago :blink: Did some Mospeada stuff recently tho...

The VF-2SS needs revising, but I just don't have the time now...:

Yes, I still have that background template.

--------------------------------------------

Keep 'em coming... B))

The better part of a decade on, and this model STILL makes my jaw drop, Tober.

Damn....

AZ will feel my pain. Drive crashed, all my models gone... Gonna see if I by chance backed it up somewhere else. Or was it Brian... one of you guys lost your stuff once.

Edited by DatterBoy

Damn....

AZ will feel my pain. Drive crashed, all my models gone... Gonna see if I by chance backed it up somewhere else. Or was it Brian... one of you guys lost your stuff once.

That is so wack. I've had that happen too. Now most of my projects are spread onto different drives. Not enough redundancy, but stuff is still spread out. Well, all things are impermanent. But those models were sweet.

• 2 weeks later...
Damn....

Bizarre. I've been gone from this thread out of sheer depression because, 2 weeks ago, I lost all my models too (along with my music, family photos, documents....) My neighborhood was all flooded out so I was crashing at my parents from the week and basically living out of my backpack, and I had both my external drives in it. Fell asleep on the train on the way home from work and when I woke up... backpack was stolen. :angry:

I've since managed to recover some stuff, including my VF-1 model (minus textures) from places like the temp directory on my home machine, but the vast majority of my digital life is GONE. So Dat, man, I feel your pain.

Bizarre. I've been gone from this thread out of sheer depression because, 2 weeks ago, I lost all my models too (along with my music, family photos, documents....) My neighborhood was all flooded out so I was crashing at my parents from the week and basically living out of my backpack, and I had both my external drives in it. Fell asleep on the train on the way home from work and when I woke up... backpack was stolen. :angry:

I've since managed to recover some stuff, including my VF-1 model (minus textures) from places like the temp directory on my home machine, but the vast majority of my digital life is GONE. So Dat, man, I feel your pain.

This thread is cursed!!!

Thanks for the kind comments guys.

Dok - So sorry to hear about your losses - that's like a sick joke. :(

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for backing up - I have a separate HDD that archives every night through USB, so even a total power surge shouldn't get that even if it destroys most of my PC. I archive all of my master files and essentials every month or so on DVDs which I keep in a safe hidden location in case of another break-in (I lost my 1200 odd music CD collection to thieves as well as allot of other stuff a few years ago). Sorta helps to keep in mind that at some point every HDD will fail.

When I finish a project or get to a milestone I compress the master files and email them to a Google GMail account which I use for storage. Sometimes they have to be split in separate emails but Maya files compress heavily. It gives me a little peace of mind in-case this place burns down or something.

I hear ya, Tober. I've most definitely been lax on backing up, and I've blamed most of it on a lack of funding (times have been tough of late and jobs have been sparse, so I haven't been able to replace failing hardware -- both my backup RAID drive and DVD burner have died in the last year and I haven't replaced 'em yet, so those modes of backup fell by the wayside.) Nevertheless, I thought I was safe with the 2 redundant external drives, since I NEVER took both out of the house at the same time... 3 Tuesdays ago was the first time ever, in 3+ years of ownership of these particular drives. So..... sick joke is right!!!

Thanks for the kind comments guys.

Dok - So sorry to hear about your losses - that's like a sick joke. :(

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for backing up - I have a separate HDD that archives every night through USB, so even a total power surge shouldn't get that even if it destroys most of my PC. I archive all of my master files and essentials every month or so on DVDs which I keep in a safe hidden location in case of another break-in (I lost my 1200 odd music CD collection to thieves as well as allot of other stuff a few years ago). Sorta helps to keep in mind that at some point every HDD will fail.

When I finish a project or get to a milestone I compress the master files and email them to a Google GMail account which I use for storage. Sometimes they have to be split in separate emails but Maya files compress heavily. It gives me a little peace of mind in-case this place burns down or something.

• 1 month later...
Still haven't had a chance to work on this -- but I did promise I'd try to post, so here's some longstanding WIP...

That's some nice work. You really went to town on that VF-1. :blink:

Hope you get some quality time to texture it up again too.

That's some nice work. You really went to town on that VF-1. :blink:

Hope you get some quality time to texture it up again too.

Tober,

Yeah, this model is for whatever reason one of two or three that I've just kept tinkering with through the years. Most other ones I just finish and put away, but this one I've just kept using as a testbed for new things I've learned, new ideas etc.