Prometheus - on Blu-Ray and DVD Oct. 9, 2012

It's all in the shadows.

Seriously, (and this is speaking in reference to the image posted above ONLY), based on the visual ques it's giving me, it looks like it's nose heavy and the engines are placed behind the halfway point. Thereby giving the impression that it's unbalanced.

Now, it's true that we don't know what internal machinery is located where, and that could affect weight distribution. However, this is for a movie that's supposed to sell us on it within 5 seconds of it appearing on screen. If my 5 seconds made me think it's front heavy and prone to toppling over, then the design has failed to be realistic, no?

(on the flip side, the med pod and transport work for me. They don't look like they'll topple over unless if AP's Fat Ba$tard lies down on it or the Dropship crashes into it.)

Interesting, individual perspective-wise. When I look at the design, the first thing that I thought was "that's one heavy caboose". My first impression was to accept it at face value and imagine a back end packed full of heavy machinery, with a centre of gravity that justified the position of the thrusters. Must be the engineer in me that makes me think this way. :D

Prometheus glory:

4be44a185429102.jpg

This shot makes it look more like a workhorse than a sportscar. Some shades of a Firefly class in that silhouette.

Edited by Penguin

Happy Birthday David!

edit to add:

SPECIFICATIONS

Dimensions

Height 1.87 meters Weight 86 kg Size David 8 wears WI standard uniform (accepts model sizes 6-8)

Frame and Design

David 8 uses a micro-pressurized hydraulic actuator system along with frictionless joints to achieve maximum reflexive mobility.

His cadmium endoskeleton is guaranteed for the life of the product.

Additional feature specs:

• Multi-degree range of motion greater than human capacity
  • Micro-distributed accelerometers
  • 30x visual magnification with increased depth of field
  • Low-light auto-adapting feature (with assisted low-light focusing)
  • Non-reactive Polyurethane coating
  • 700-lb lifting capacity
  • Polymer-encased brain stem component

Communication

David 8 is fluent in all known languages through a dialectic implant and can infer the linguistic components of entirely new languages if encountered. Communication between humans and David 8 should feel entirely fluid and natural.

He instantly recognizes the tone and timbre of a new voice and will register it with his database.

Operation

David 8 is easy to operate and enters seamlessly into human environments. Just speak a command in your normal tone of voice. Customizable vocational or goal-objective programming is available on some models.

Mind and Memory

• Fluid intelligence equivalent of 1012 neurons (200 petaflops)
  • 3D kinematics guidance center
  • Fear center safety program (can be disabled)
  • Advanced emotional encoding
  • Facial recognition via proprietary expression mapping
  • Unlimited memory

Heart and Soul

David 8 can record, process, understand and express many complex emotions, but he will never know true human feelings such as love, grief and compassion.

Maintenance

Unlike previous models, David 8 can conduct all of his own maintenance procedures. He constantly monitors the degradation of his high-turbidity hydraulic fluid and will replenish at regular intervals (bi-monthly approximate for most mixed-use applications). His zero-loss lithium ion cells are guaranteed for the life of the product.

Major repairs or physical damage must be addressed through an authorized Weyland Cybernetics facility.

https://www.weylandi...tries.com/david

Edited by Lobizon

Still, I have this feeling Prometheus will be making 2 stops on it's ill-fated trip.

From what I get from the trailers, the Prometheus goes into pursuit of the Alien ship right after it's takeoff from the underground base and rams it while still in the atmosphere, so I think it all happens on the same planet.

Interesting, individual perspective-wise. When I look at the design, the first thing that I thought was "that's one heavy caboose". My first impression was to accept it at face value and imagine a back end packed full of heavy machinery, with a centre of gravity that justified the position of the thrusters. Must be the engineer in me that makes me think this way. :D

This shot makes it look more like a workhorse than a sportscar. Some shades of a Firefly class in that silhouette.

I think it's useless, engineering-wise, to make assumptions from a few stills.

Take a look at this:

prometheus-poster-spaceship.jpg

Have you ever seen a more inane set of callouts on such a cool looking ship. Probably written by the marketing department...

Anyway, this ship looks better and better! Wouldn't a styrene kit be nice!

Have you ever seen a more inane set of callouts on such a cool looking ship. Probably written by the marketing department...

Anyway, this ship looks better and better! Wouldn't a styrene kit be nice!

Look at it like this: its not a blueprint for the navies newest missile cruiser, but an advertisment for a sports utility vehicle. How often have we seen them with callouts like "adjustable sun roof", "six air bags", "V8 engine with manual transmission", "folding seats enlarge already spacious cargo area", and "satillite AM/FM radio with cd play and MP3/IPOD dock".

So in the news lately, James Cameron (director of Aliens) is forming a space mining company, Planetary Resources, to get precious minerals from asteroids.

http://news.yahoo.com/asteroid-mining-venture-backed-google-execs-james-cameron-011205183.html

Somehow, this project will be all fine and dandy until they land on LV-426.

I hope that trailer is not too representative, in that it only shows action and clever lines where the actual movie will be slow and well written.

What still sets Alien apart despite the innumerable copies is its deliberate pace and refusal to transition to an action pic, even when the "action" starts. Not that this movie is supposed to be a new Alien, but in this genre of "explorers find monster/disaster and must survive while cut off," Scott has already made the best one, I'd like to see him top it rather than join the crowd of his lesser imitators.

Truth be told I doubt it'll hold up, in my eyes at least. The trailers give me the feel that this will be well done, like Gladiator and Black Hawk Down, but not groundbreaking like Alien or Blade Runner. At least let's hope it's not Kingdome of Heaven or Robin Hood quality moviemakinig.

Call me chicken but I am going to see Prometheus in 2-D first, then see it in 3-D. I saw the 3-D trailer this weekend and my heart started racing!!! NO WAY am I going into the 3D verson of Prometheus without KNOWING what to expect!!!

Ha ha! I say bring it on! I think if something is scary enough it'll frighten you in any visual format. That's the way I feel about the Xenomorph, The Thing, etc....

Rated R?! Oooooh Yeah...Although I hope it isn't because Noomi Rapace gets tied to a bed again, lol...

Sci-fi violence including some intense images, and brief language.

Hell they could've given Avengers an R rating with those standards, lol...

Edited by myk

This is "Ridley Scott intense", not "Joss Whedon intense".

-

I just had the idea that the Prometheus crashing into the alien ship is actually David's work, not Janek's. You know, crew & ship are expendable. Especially when the corporate representative has jumped the ship.

Sci-fi violence including some intense images, and brief language.

Let's compare to "Alien":

Motion Picture Rating: Rated R for sci-fi violence/gore and language

and

Canada:14 (Nova Scotia) (director's cut) (2003) / Canada:14A (Alberta/British Columbia) (director's cut) (2003) / Canada:18A (Manitoba) (director's cut) (2003) / Canada:PG (Ontario) (director's cut) (2003) / Canada:R (Manitoba/Nova Scotia/Ontario) (original rating) / New Zealand:M (re-release) / New Zealand:R16 (original rating) / Italy:T / Finland:K-18 (director's cut) (DVD rating) / USA:TV-14 (TV rating) / Portugal:M/16 (DVD rating) / South Korea:15 (re-rating) (2003) / South Korea:18 (original rating) / Philippines:R-18 / Brazil:14 / West Germany:16 (f) / Israel:16 / India:A / Czech Republic:18 / Japan:G (2010) / Argentina:13 / Australia:M / Canada:13+ (Quebec) / Chile:14 / Finland:K-16 / France:-12 / Hong Kong:IIB / Iceland:16 / Ireland:18 / Japan:PG-12 / Netherlands:12 / Norway:15 (director's cut) (2003) / Norway:16 (original rating) / Norway:18 / Peru:14 / Singapore:PG / Spain:13 / Sweden:15 / UK:15 (director's cut) / UK:18 (video rating) (1987) / UK:X (original rating) / USA:R (certificate #25541)

(from http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078748/parentalguide#certification )

Apparently an "R" rating would make it more intense than the director's cut of "Alien"... maybe sci-fi violence means the type of stuff seen in "Alien" and "Aliens"? Which isn't so objectionable given all the clones of the two movies over the years?

Wonder what the chances are of seeing Charlize Theron in a tiny tank & panties at the end now...

She actually shot a scene of her working out in the nude for this movie. If you can't wait go watch Two Days In The Valley. Just try to ignore the creepy hitman guys that's doing "it" with her.