Prometheus - on Blu-Ray and DVD Oct. 9, 2012

I consider Alien and Aliens as 100% awesome. I will say this about the Blu Ray Director's Cut of Alien 3....it is worth a watch...however, what's MORE worth a watch is the documentaries on that particular film. It really brings to light how screwed up the entire filming process was from the original "wooden Monk planet" script all the way through the release date. David Fincher never had a finished script and pretty much got screwed at every turn the entire time while filming if I recall...you just have to watch all the docs and say to yourself "wow...I can't believe it ever made it to the screen at all". As for Resurrection...well...I was all for it right up till the last whole Ripley does the nasty with the Alien and the baby Alien part. The Betty's crew were well cast as was Don Whats his name--the captain of the military ship. Love that guy's death scene. B))

oh well.....bring on Prometheus!!!

Edited by derex3592

I consider Alien and Aliens as 100% awesome. I will say this about the Blu Ray Director's Cut of Alien 3....it is worth a watch...however, what's MORE worth a watch is the documentaries on that particular film. It really brings to light how screwed up the entire filming process was from the original "wooden Monk planet" script all the way through the release date. David Fincher never had a finished script and pretty much got screwed at every turn the entire time while filming if I recall...you just have to watch all the docs and say to yourself "wow...I can't believe it ever made it to the screen at all". As for Resurrection...well...I was all for it right up till the last whole Ripley does the nasty with the Alien and the baby Alien part. The Betty's crew were well cast as was Don Whats his name--the captain of the military ship. Love that guy's death scene. B))

oh well.....bring on Prometheus!!!

agreed man, its amazing how Alien 3 even got off the ground. To be fair though what we have is alot better then that wooden planet they where originally going to have lol.

I maybe in a minority here but I enjoyed Ressurection more then Alien 3,suffice to say thats not saying much. But Ressurection had a better pace,more diverse characters and more action and I liked the design of the white alien. yeah i said it lol. To be honest,They are the bastard childs of the Saga,but there are some good ideas and scenes in both films and I can easily admit that.

Alien and Aliens will always be the top kings, I seriously cant wait for Prometheus.

From what ive heard too,the new game Aliens:Colonial Marines which is set after 'Aliens' and the start of 'Alien 3' is going to be canon with the series. And will have ties in's to both films.

I maybe in a minority here but I enjoyed Ressurection more then Alien 3,suffice to say thats not saying much.

I agree with you, while far from perfect (or good) it is a far cry better then Alien 3. My friend's review of Alien 3 was "It is a study in Muave", and that pretty much summed it up perfectly

I'd say the best way to describe Alien 3 is clusterf**k. It is the most apropos word as it describes both the troubled production and the movie itself. Knowing how it was made does soften the blow though, and the Special Edition is an improvement.

I still remember reading about one of the producers saying, "Don't listen to him. He's a f**king shoe salesman!" This was referring to David Fincher in one their meetings. No wonder he disowns it...

Whaddya wanna bet that the "ejectable lifeboat module" gets ejected at some point?

That and the fireproof windscreen gets subjected to fire at some point. ;) One question though... doesn't intergalactic communication antennae imply that this is set outside the Milky Way? Its been a while since I've watched the Alien movies but I don't recall seeing anything that told me they couldn't have taken place in this galaxy. Did I miss something?

Carl

That and the fireproof windscreen gets subjected to fire at some point. ;) One question though... doesn't intergalactic communication antennae imply that this is set outside the Milky Way? Its been a while since I've watched the Alien movies but I don't recall seeing anything that told me they couldn't have taken place in this galaxy. Did I miss something?

Carl

Nope, nothing missed. Everything in the Alien movies takes place in the good ol' Milky Way. Either they misspoke/overstepped in the diagram, or maybe the "Engineers" are from farther afield than we know.

Edited by Penguin

Nope, nothing missed. Everything in the Alien movies takes place in the good ol' Milky Way. Either they misspoke/overstepped in the diagram, or maybe the "Engineers" a from farther afield than we know.

More likely, the marketing person responsible simply doesn't know what the word actually means.

Touchscreen blast-shield. Why?

Maybe on the inside?

Now, the question I have is: are the parts that are being described because that's how they're shown used in the movie? Or is it just gobbledygook greeble cooked up by the graphic designer and/or web designer?

USCSS Prometheus

My main problem with this is that the engine pivot is waaaaaaaay far behind the implied centre of gravity. In flight, angling the engines will compensate, but once its landed, I have the impression that it'll fall on it's nose, and dent that precious "fireproof windscreen".

USCSS Prometheus

Honestly, I don't care for it. the main hull isn't bad but those swiviling engines on a swivel are just silly. like sketchley said, they sit too far back to look balanced, and even beyond that they look WAY too over engineered and complex something that's meant to be a realistic, large spacecraft.

Personally, I think the Nastromo is a much better design. It's not a pretty ship but it's design is functional, utilitarian and well thought out, where as this one isn't.

Honestly, I don't care for it. the main hull isn't bad but those swiviling engines on a swivel are just silly. like sketchley said, they sit too far back to look balanced, and even beyond that they look WAY too over engineered and complex something that's meant to be a realistic, large spacecraft.

Personally, I think the Nastromo is a much better design. It's not a pretty ship but it's design is functional, utilitarian and well thought out, where as this one isn't.

So we can accept physics-bending faster than light travel, unexplained suspended animation, and mysterious Engineers that created human life, but we insist on realism in the spaceship's aesthetics?

Tough crowd. ;)

(Nevermind that saying it's unbalanced is unsupported unless you know the ship's weight distribution and centre of gravity. And how does one imply a centre of gravity?)

Just had to share this hilarious comic about Aliens and Avatar :)

http://theoatmeal.co...s/aliens_avatar

"Humans and aliens get to know each other" :lol:

Edited by Penguin

So we can accept physics-bending faster than light travel, unexplained suspended animation, and mysterious Engineers that created human life, but we insist on realism in the spaceship's aesthetics?

Tough crowd. ;)

Ok, the ship sucks because it's trying way too hard to be hip and cool like it's some sort of futuristic sports car, but instead it just looks stupid.

better?

And how does one imply a centre of gravity?)

It's all in the shadows.

Seriously, (and this is speaking in reference to the image posted above ONLY), based on the visual ques it's giving me, it looks like it's nose heavy and the engines are placed behind the halfway point. Thereby giving the impression that it's unbalanced.

Now, it's true that we don't know what internal machinery is located where, and that could affect weight distribution. However, this is for a movie that's supposed to sell us on it within 5 seconds of it appearing on screen. If my 5 seconds made me think it's front heavy and prone to toppling over, then the design has failed to be realistic, no?

(on the flip side, the med pod and transport work for me. They don't look like they'll topple over unless if AP's Fat Ba$tard lies down on it or the Dropship crashes into it.)

Edited by sketchley

Ok, the ship sucks because it's trying way too hard to be hip and cool like it's some sort of futuristic sports car, but instead it just looks stupid.

better?

I disagree, I think the design is great and I get more of a research/science vessel vibe then a 'hip sports car' feel.

I dont think this ship is front heavy either. If anything I think its ass heavy,which is why the four thrusters need to be positioned where they are.

Edited by Vepariga

I disagree, I think the design is great and I get more of a research/science vessel vibe then a 'hip sports car' feel.

Same here - looks elegant enough as a science vessel funded to the wazoo - but still utilitarian enough to do its job.

Also I really don't see how you guys see it as front heavy - if anything, it looks back-heavy. But I like my ships with a fat ass.

Whaddya wanna bet that the "ejectable lifeboat module" gets ejected at some point?

Whaddya wanna bet that it don't do any good... :wacko:

And I'll take the Sulaco over Prometheus any day. It looks nice, such as the main body, but I don't like the ungainly look of the swivel on swivel engines. And from seeing the trailers, and the entirely too much information that they reveal, it could use some guns near the end...