Prometheus - on Blu-Ray and DVD Oct. 9, 2012

can we go ahead and lock this thread (or change the title since it's no longer valid)?

Just read about this on sci-fi, and it sounds like "it's an alien movie, but we don't want to call it an alien movie". The mumbo-jumbo to actual information meter went off the scale...

http://blastr.com/2011/01/that-alien-prequel-is-not.php

Really hard to say what this will be, so far it sounds like an alien movie in everything but name.

Just read about this on sci-fi, and it sounds like "it's an alien movie, but we don't want to call it an alien movie". The mumbo-jumbo to actual information meter went off the scale...

http://blastr.com/2011/01/that-alien-prequel-is-not.php

Really hard to say what this will be, so far it sounds like an alien movie in everything but name.

Nothing to worry about, really...

If it sucks, it will not ruin the Alien series more than it is already ruined since the sh1tty 3rd movie; and if it is great, Hollywood will get another franchise to screw up with sh1tty sequels.

All is well in this perfect world :)

Except for the part where it has, and they're making a completely different movie instead.

Maybe it's a smokescreen, maybe it really is Alien but they are trying to take some of the heat off the production so they are pulling a "Blue Harvest"? Why? I dunno, fear of media intrusions, wanting to work in some sort of secrecy without all of the films content being blurted over the net?

Stranger things have happened.

In all honesty I'd love to see another film in the Alien franchise, prequel/sequel/whatever.

AND if this new film is going to have an Alien vibe then my thought is it should just remain an Alien movie, but according to the article(s) the script was such that powers-that-be want this to be a bigger, more grandiose flick, so there you have it...

-b.

Things have just gotten more confusing. If this article is right, it may still be an Alien movie...sort of. The link may contain spoilers...possibly.

http://movies.sky.com/exclusive-prometheus-plot-reveal-aliens-are-in-it

EDIT: Looks like there's a casting update too.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/blogs/heat-vision/michael-fassbender-star-opposite-noomi-76403

Edited by VT 1010

Things have just gotten more confusing. If this article is right, it may still be an Alien movie...sort of. The link may contain spoilers...possibly.

I think I'll start considering this an alternate aliens universe. At least it's starting to become clearer why the "change" in the movies direction was so readily accepted by the studio executives.

I think the prequel aspect was dropped with the "it's not an aliens movie but it's got the DNA of aliens" announcement.

Another way to look at it is: a true prequel would be too creatively restrictive, and the fans would be too upset with the resultant changes and inconsistencies.

It's Ridley Scott so it's going to be o.k at least. I cannot imagine him doing and AVP style trainwreck. Plus I think the cast looks interesting.

Yeah, Ridley usually makes pretty good films. USUALLY. And he's the one who laid the foundation for the original Alien universe. Too bad Cameron was the only one who could play in that field.

• 2 months later...

Looks like the confusion continues...

Someone has recently claimed to have spotted alien suits on the set: http://www.alienprequelnews.com/2011/04/exclusive-some-juicy-details-from-set.html

:huh: Considering Ridley has denied it before, I still have no frakkin' clue if this is an Alien movie or not. I wonder if he's is trying to confuse us on purpose. What do you think?

Looks like the confusion continues...

Someone has recently claimed to have spotted alien suits on the set: http://www.alienprequelnews.com/2011/04/exclusive-some-juicy-details-from-set.html

:huh: Considering Ridley has denied it before, I still have no frakkin' clue if this is an Alien movie or not. I wonder if he's is trying to confuse us on purpose. What do you think?

If true, I would suggest it was confirmation of the theory I suggested back in post #150. That Ridley is trying to make an Alien film in stealth mode, until they are ready to go with promoting it.

He's probably trying to take some heat off the production as well as deflecting nosy alien fans who can be a fickle bunch to say the least.

Besides, I think its much more likely that the studio would financially back another film in the Alien series rather than something new.

He did say that it has the "DNA" of an alien movie. (I think that was the key phrase).

Is it an alternate telling of the origin? Is it a stealth-alien movie? Time will tell, but I think it's the former, because Ridley Scott is a cool director, and he won't go rewriting alien history - especially because he made that first movie! :lol:

You mean an alien-predator? Hasn't this been seen already?

I was responding to

That Ridley is trying to make an Alien film in stealth mode, until they are ready to go with promoting it.

an Alien film in stealth mode = alien stealth mode = stealth-alien movie

Edited by sketchley

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like Guy Pierce has joined the cast, though no word yet on his role.

In other news, this funky beat from the past has recently surfaced. The Alien theme disco remix: http://www.badassdig...e-disco-version

:huh: I now must find this record... :lol:

I lol'ed when I read that quote:

"This was so much fun on the dancefloor at the time because you would get everybody doing John Hurt alien tummy eruptions!!"

• 1 month later...

‘Prometheus’ Screenwriter Damon Lindelof Talks ‘Alien’ Connection

Damon Lindlehof explains a bit more at what the heck is going on with Prometheus. If I read him correctly, he's talking about it being an original movie, set in the Alien universe, which along the way may explain some of the story leading up to the events in Alien, without it being a movie solely about the events leading up to Alien. If I'm reading it right, then I'm really starting to look forward to this. A new and original Ridley Scott sci-fi piece, with the added bonus of callbacks to Alien... the idea is all sorts of awesome. Hopefully it delivers.

I found I liked Damon's quip about "the sequel to a prequel should not be the movie which already exists" (and the knock against those most infamous prequels). Took me a couple of re-reads to sort that out in my head ;). It's a solid idea though... a prequel should be able to stand on its own merit and support direct sequels to its own story, while at the same time adding to the backstory of the original movie that inspired it.

Edited by Penguin