1:60 Yamato VF-1S kit?

tetsujin

It occurs to me that Yamato is really missing the boat not including all the head variants with these kits. Do they really think there will be a big enough market for unassembled kits for each head type? On the other hand, if this is a one time thing then that's all the more reason to include all the heads.

Don't get me wrong I love the idea of a low cost unassembled VF-1 kit, but have passed so far as I want a low cost VF-1J so I can free up my TV Hikaru J from his GBP-1 armour, which seems like a pretty obvious market for these kits. If Yamato is worried about being able to milk this concept for sales I think different plastic color variants would be much better than the head types. Just imagine kits with all head variants in white, off white, black, low vis grey, desert tan, olive drab, etc. I would think this would be a customizer's dream and would be easier for collectors to justify as there would be a more obvious difference than simply the head type.

I don't know, just my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

They are! And I just ordered mine, along with a Super 1J so I can steal the fast packs. I haven't decided what to set the kit up as yet but the fast packs should be useful. Never could figure out why they bundle them with the 1J when it never featured them in the TV series...

I think it has to do with some of the concept art for the series. There was a pic of a super Hikaru 1J in gerwalk on the main page for a while... where it came from I don't know, but depending on how it got published, it might have been what popularized the pairing.

On the other hand.. the pairing makes sense market-wise. Hikaru's 1J was the only hero valk that didn't get to use the boosters in the TV series (well, if you don't count Max's 1A, but he got his 1J later too), so this is a way to give him some boosters, even if it wasn't canon. Plus, it makes for a nice trio of super 1Js, once you add in M&Ms.

And while a TV Skull1 would be fun for collectors, it doesn't make much sense to make a separate packaging for it, since it would just be a repackaged DYRL Skull1 with TV packs and a Hikaru pilot figure. Given the choice of a Skull1 with TV packs, or a Skull1 with DYRL strike packs, which would you choose? That cannon is cool. ^_^

Fortunately, Yamato had the guts to sell a separate TV fast pack set for the v2 1/60, so it's easy for us to make our TV Skull1. Whether this was a good idea financially though, I don't know. The strike packs tend to sell out fast it seems, while the TV packs seem to linger, and get marked down.

I think it has to do with some of the concept art for the series. There was a pic of a super Hikaru 1J in gerwalk on the main page for a while... where it came from I don't know, but depending on how it got published, it might have been what popularized the pairing.

The strike packs tend to sell out fast it seems, while the TV packs seem to linger, and get marked down.

The Super 1J pic , IIRC, was te box art for the old ARII/ IMAI box art for the VF-1 model kits (1/100 I think).

As for the -standalone strike packs, though it is pretty much sold out now, but about or slighly more than 1 year ago, it was going on offer at HLJ for quite a while... I know cuz I got a pair from that time.

Either way, I kinda like the Super 1J set, goodstuff, if you can get past the shoulders. Those who could get past it should have rejoiced very much during the sale for the 1J @ hlj just a few days back.

Just got mine...I squealed like a little girl when I opened it. Such a thing of beauty!

Can't decide to put it together or just marvel at all the parts.

Lots and lots of parts.

...it's no snap-screw together. It's a glue, patience, pin, patience and screw kind'a kit. Oh and did I say patients!. Yes, lots of patience with be needed to put this together.

post-1566-1271455230_thumb.jpg

I see English on that manual! Is that just the cover or is there more inside? Thanks for the pic! I'm still waiting for mine and still pondering about what scheme to go with. With the TV release VF-1S coming in June, I'm not sure my original Roy theme idea is going to be the way to go.

I see English on that manual! Is that just the cover or is there more inside? Thanks for the pic! I'm still waiting for mine and still pondering about what scheme to go with. With the TV release VF-1S coming in June, I'm not sure my original Roy theme idea is going to be the way to go.

English just the cover, everything else japanese. But the directions are well laid out step by step pictograms...at least they they appear to be. Hard to know until you start putting this bad boy together.

...I'm starting to wish I had ordered 2 of these.

Oh, and it would be blasphemy to make a Jetfire out of one of these. Truly ;)

• 2 weeks later...
English just the cover, everything else japanese. But the directions are well laid out step by step pictograms...at least they they appear to be. Hard to know until you start putting this bad boy together.

...I'm starting to wish I had ordered 2 of these.

Oh, and it would be blasphemy to make a Jetfire out of one of these. Truly ;)

I got two hehe. One's going to get put away, the other I haven't decided what to do yet. I'm tempted to put it together as-is but I probably should do a custom if I ever get the patience.

I was VERY surprised to see that they included two decal sheets (the colors/stripes/etc., and a numbers sheet like the normal 1/60 valks get but in decal form) and one sheet of stickers (just the colors). I expected a sheet of the normal stickers but I guess I wasn't supposed to get one?

Either way, very cool stuff. Can't wait to play around with it.