Yamato 1/60 VF-19 Fire Valkyrie

UN Spacy

Ok, all comments about the hip placement aside.. this is the first time we've gotten internal CAD views before, and picking this thing apart is fun, even from a low-res picture.

The nose structure looks really compact this time, and I think the Fire Valk's different canopy from the YF-19 really freed up a lot of space in the nose (I think it opens rearward in one piece, rather than split). Also, since it opens at the rear, the front edge of the canopy is open, leaving room for the cockpit hatch on the front, and for the entire cockpit to rotate.

Now, it might be a trick of the angle, but the nose looks very thin indeed, as if everything was crammed in very tightly. In fact.. judging by the linkage there... it looks as if the entire nose transformation is linked together. Basically, it looks like the mechanisms for lowering the nose flap under the cockpit, the z-fold nose break for shortening the torso, and the cockpit rotation are all connected. At the very least, it looks like the cockpit rotation is linked to one of those two motions.

I'm really liking how the crotch plate folds flush in fighter too, it looks completely streamlined with the fuselage, and it looks like it folds like the Hi-Metal, instead of the flipping action used on the YF-19. The way the YF-19 did it takes up extra space, since the curved side is facing upwards, and the back side of the plate is just wasted space.

Two things I really want to see more on: the head and hips.

The head looks like it does fit under the cover plates in back, but I have no idea how it'll pull that off. It looks like the head may slide back further than the YF-19, and then slide forward again, so you can get the head probes past the upper chest plate.

For the hips.. I don't know what to think. You can see a bit of them in the front view of the battroid mode, and there is clearly something very different about them. I mean.. the upper hip plate just seems like it's not there. It looks like there's a small bit of it above the hips, but there is something else there directly above the intakes....

Ohhh.. shooot. I could be very wrong here... but it looks like the upper hip plates are attached to the front half of the fuselage... as in, they lift up, and slide down with the cockpit during the Z-fold.. putting them behind the hips. That would explain the dividing line on the hip plates right behind the canards..

I still have my reservations about the LEX placement.. but a little part of me deep inside just started quietly jumping for joy.

PS. Yes.. lots of speculation, I know. I just can't wait for more pics about this thing now, to see if they actually pulled off what I think they did.

Edit: Btw, just for fun, based on what's visible in that picture, and going by the Bandai Hi-Metal...

post-907-127380008687_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chronocidal

You had me at "opening battroid hatch".

I'm buying this (if it ever comes out). Meanwhile I will be watching its development very closely. Also, only a few more weeks until Bandai Sound Booster goodness!

When I met with Yamato last month, I was told that this is the first Valk where they are going to place more emphasis on Battroid mode, rather than fighter mode. This is beacuse the Fire Valk is seen in the anime far more in Battroid mode and they wanted to try to better capture the relative chunkiness of the battroid mode as it appears in the anime and lineart.

Graham

Well thank God for that, it's about time battroid fans get more love.

Considering this one will be the basis for inevitable VF-19F/S my interest has just exponentially increased.

Edited by lechuck

When I met with Yamato last month, I was told that this is the first Valk where they are going to place more emphasis on Battroid mode, rather than fighter mode. This is beacuse the Fire Valk is seen in the anime far more in Battroid mode and they wanted to try to better capture the relative chunkiness of the battroid mode as it appears in the anime and lineart.

Graham

Didn't they already do that back then with the chunky 1/72? :lol:

Edited by Ivan

I keep liking this more and more. Might be the first VF I actually display predominantly in battroid mode. The only thing that could kill my enthusiasm would be if Yamato releases the sound booster as a web exclusive like Bandai did. <_<

I keep liking this more and more. Might be the first VF I actually display predominantly in battroid mode. The only thing that could kill my enthusiasm would be if Yamato releases the sound booster as a web exclusive like Bandai did. <_<

Well, let's be realistic. Look how few people are posting in this thread (despite the CAD news) compared to the Yamato Regult thread for example. If there is such relative low interest in this thing even within MACROSS WORLD, then I would not be surprised if Yamato shunned away from the hassle of going through the whole distributor and retailer malarkey when they can just target the few who want them through the web. If they're doing that for a Regult, then I don't think it would come as a shock that a sound booster may get the same treatment. I don't like it either, but "desperate times... etc."

:(

Well, let's be realistic. Look how few people are posting in this thread (despite the CAD news) compared to the Yamato Regult thread for example. If there is such relative low interest in this thing even within MACROSS WORLD, then I would not be surprised if Yamato shunned away from the hassle of going through the whole distributor and retailer malarkey when they can just target the few who want them through the web. If they're doing that for a Regult, then I don't think it would come as a shock that a sound booster may get the same treatment. I don't like it either, but "desperate times... etc."

CAD pics of the upper part of the chest of something we've known was coming already for more than 3 months are never going to garner as much interest as actual pictures of a toy that nobody knew was coming and is in a scale it's never been built in.

I'm curious about the engineering and how well the toy will turn out because I'm hoping they'll make other variants of it. However, I've never liked the look (especially the garish color scheme) of the Valk and really don't want to buy one. I'd be much happier if they made an S type in the blue color scheme like the 1/100 Hi-Metals. Still, it would be cool to see if they make this 19 work better than their Mac Plus version. Maybe they'll return to the older design and create something that works better.

Not sure if you can equate the number of posts on this topic to the eventual popularity of the toy. Also this Valk was hardly unexpected while a enemy mech is a pretty unique event, that will generate more discussion.

Eh, give it time. This'll rival the 1/60 YF-19 thread before you know it, complete with all the battying, anti-battying, and anti-anti-batty battying. :lol:

I've got high hopes in this one though, if only because it means they might have figured out how to do a slim YF-19 later on.

Very interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing a prototype of this thing to see how it looks versus the CAD art. I remember everyone complaining about the YF-19 CAD art, and then the "oohs" and "aahs" when we finally saw a prototype.

While I'm not a fan of the Fire Valkyrie, I look forward to seeing the results of this, and better yet... The VF-17!

To be fair.. the YF-19 cad was identical to the final product. Having a full 3D perspective just has a way of making things look better (or worse at times).

I do wonder how this mold will look as a VF-19F or S though. I think the nose will look a little better without the canards, but I don't know how those clipped wings will look. :huh:

If this is focusing on Battroid mode more, I'll proably be passing on this one too. It'll probably make fighter mode look horrible due to the extremely fat legs. Glad for you Battroid fans though, but I'm a fighter mode guy.

Chris

It'll probably make fighter mode look horrible due to the extremely fat legs.

^

You mean exactly like the line-art? :rolleyes:

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I've always hated the fat rear end of the VF-19 variants. Put me in the camp that is patiently hoping and waiting for a Ver3 YF-19.

^

You mean exactly like the line-art? :rolleyes:

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I've always hated the fat rear end of the VF-19 variants. Put me in the camp that is patiently hoping and waiting for a Ver3 YF-19.

I still love my 1/60 19 :lol:

But it will be nice to see how this will lead to a new bird. :D

I have a feeling Yamato is just gonna take the YF-19's cad designs, change the head and slap red on it, and w/no chest locking mechanism, and on top of that, they'll give us the middle finger and say "New YF....VF19! WEB EXCLUSIVE ONLY! lol :lol::ph34r:

Edited by Gunpod71

Shhh, they might hear you! :p

Actually, comparing the bit of cad we can see with the YF-19 pics, it's quite different already. And except for where the leading edge of the wing meets the fuselage, it looks extremely close to the Hi-Metal 1/100 (the bandai's leading edge has a steeper slope, and intersects the fuselage beneath the canards, instead of ahead of them).

I still like the 1/60 YF-19. All it needs is a few improvements: 1) locking tabs on the chest in Battroid, etc. 2) Most of the rest of the Samurai look is most easily accomplished by using the silhouette from the FP. Bonus points for adjusting minutae.

WRT the head, all they really need to do is a tab similar to that of the chunky Bandai 1/65 M7 Fire/Blazer. Have a bigger tab on a hinge that fully covers the neck from the base of the back of the head. Make it removable for the really anal-retentive of us displaying primarily battroid. It's still perfect transformation as long as we don't NEED to use detail pieces that accentuate one mode over another.

I have a brilliant idea :lol:

We all love VF-11C and I assume we would like to see our Yamato VF-11Cs with Protect Armor Pack :rolleyes:

What if Yamato gives us the Protect Armor for VF-11C in three separate bundles associated with the upcoming VF-19 line:

- 1/60 VF-19 Kai (with VF-11C's chest armors and boosters)

- 1/60 VF-19S (with VF-11C's arm and shoulder armors & laser guns)

- 1/60 VF-19F (with VF-11C's leg armors and shield)

For reference:

vf-11c-protectarmor.gif

I want to hear your voices about it!

Edited by charger69

I have a brilliant idea :lol:

We all love VF-11C and I assume we would like to see our Yamato VF-11Cs with Protect Armor Pack :rolleyes:

What if Yamato gives us the Protect Armor for VF-11C in three separate bundles associated with the upcoming VF-19 line:

I don't think the "BAF" principle applies well in this genre.

I want to hear your voices about it!

Evil man. An idea worse than web exclusive. Yamato doesn't need any help.

• 1 month later...

Graham

Finally some battroid love! If this design turns out good, we may get to see a 1/60 YF-19 V.2 in the future.

Edit: Sorry, Knight26 beat me to it.

Edited by Lonely Soldier Boy

Finally some battroid love! If this design turns out good, we may get to see a 1/60 YF-19 V.2 in the future.

Edit: Sorry, Knight26 beat me to it.

It's ok Lucas, you can repay me with art or by buying me one of these, lol.

Seriously though, why have we seen nothing of the legs yet? I think the legs will be the fan make or break on this, and I will explain why. The original VF-19 F/S/Kai have the same legs, which are wholy different from the legs on the YF-19/VF-19A, but hold the phone. Now comes the master file, which basically says that all YF/VF-19 variants have a common thigh design, whether or not the common thigh is an official retcon has yet to be established, or is the Master Files' common thigh a shortcut the authors/artists took. I am curious to see how Yamato goes, becuase as we know SK tends to bless their designs, so if he said "yeah verily, all VF-19s have a common thigh design as in the master file" (note that would all be in japanese), how will fans react?

Edited by Knight26

The original VF-19 F/S/Kai have the same legs, which are wholy different from the legs on the YF-19/VF-19A, but hold the phone. Now comes the master file, which basically says that all YF/VF-19 variants have a common thigh design, whether or not the common thigh is an official retcon has yet to be established, or is the Master Files' common thigh a shortcut the authors/artists took.

As also posted in the VF-19 Master Files Thread:-

Well, although some of the CG art in the Master File shows a common thigh/intake, the front view line-art on pages 66 & 67 still shows the two district intake shapes that we have come to associate with (1) the YF-19/VF-19A and (2) VF-19E(Kai)/F/S/P.

In fact all the side view line-art also seems to show the two distinct intake shapes, although admittedly the difference is a tad more subtle than Kawamori's original line-art.

Graham

I hope Yamato re-designs the gunpod when they eventually get around to the 19F/S. The YF-19 gunpod seems a little short and thin compared to the lineart. As for the thigh design I hope Yamato stays as true to the lineart as possible with the 19Kai/F/S because I think there is less anime magic with those versus the YF-19. The hip section in battroid annoys me to no end on the YF-19 toy.

Looking forward to this release as I am a big fan of the Macross 7 designed 19.

Edited by valk1j

Hmmmn. I wonder if there's any chance of Yamato doing a battroid-mode-focused VF-11MAXL Kai. :) (even though I am usually a fighter-mode fan, for Mylene's battroid mode is definitely the most important aspect---plus it was clearly designed by Kawamori that way---the shape of the fighter mode is defined by the battroid mode, not vice-versa)