"Initial production run of 1000"

Chet

Here's what I'd like to know. I realize that a small-ish company like Yamato can't afford to overproduce an item which may have limited appeal. This is probably why they've been announcing low initial production runs (1000 units?) for the VF22's, with further production runs being uncertain. What I'd like to know is, if they had the capability to make low initial production runs of these models and still make them available to general retail, why couldn't they do the same for the 1/48 TV VF-1A's or even the 1/60 Angel Bird? I mean, aside from the new head sculpt on the 1/48 TV VF-1A's, the tooling is pretty much done. Would moving 1000 units of each of these really have been too tall an order for them that they could only afford to produce them in smaller numbers?

Or how about the Weathered Valkyries and Destroids? Most of these were initially exclusives, too. but now they can be obtained from HLJ. So I'm guessing they are making at least 1000 units of each those, too?

For the Angel Bird, I'm not sure if Yamato is willing to take that risk. If you'll remember, the 1/48 Angel Birds 1A was on clearance SEVERAL times within recent years, and even now you can find it for up to 3000 yen less than the MSRP from etailers overseas. That version was not a hot seller at all. It doesn't help that the Angel Birds valk wasn't unique aside from color scheme, was from the TV series which in Japan is arguably less popular than DYRL?, was not piloted by any of the main characters, nor was it seen in combat(because it is a air show demo plane in the series).

Sure the tooling on the TV 1A's might be done in 1/48 scale but those were also hand painted IIRC.

As for the Destroids, tooling is done yes, but no new parts were made for those; they are just repaints.