Disconnects

Is anyone else going through periods of not being able to connect? I've noticed between my home machine, work machine, and IPhone (all different networks) reguarly at least one can get in, but all seem to go through extended periods of timing out in the forums.

Just wondering if I have a bad link, DNS, or something else. Is it just me?

Is anyone else going through periods of not being able to connect? I've noticed between my home machine, work machine, and IPhone (all different networks) reguarly at least one can get in, but all seem to go through extended periods of timing out in the forums.

Just wondering if I have a bad link, DNS, or something else. Is it just me?

Remember this thread: http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=30542

Yeah, looks like it's coming back to haunt us again.

Another one just now for a good hour. I just left MW loading in one tab while browsing elsewhere, and you can go a good long time without getting any kind of timeout error. Though at one point I did get an IPS driver error. They're like slow storms, you just have to wait for them to blow over and then everything is nice again

I'll check the drives (last time we had some errors), and run some checks on the db this weekend.

Again, I think it just boils down to the limitations of the ISAM format we are running. Locking entire tables for adding a post, when there are a lot of users doing the same, is probably leading to contention issues-and then everyone just times out.

I just have to sit down and convert us to INNODB and be done with it all once and for all. I've let it carry on far too long.

Time to clear out a weekend schedule this month...

Shawn

• 2 weeks later...

Same thing for me. The site was getting moody for me around 6am to 7am PST today, taking forever to load.

Usually when the site's running slow and I'm trying to access the main forum page, I see some "Downloading [something, something, something] .png" in the status bar. Not sure if it's related to the current problem. :unsure:

I've recently switched over to Chrome as my primary browser, and I'm noticing slowdowns with it that I don't see via Firefox. Literally I can load two pages side by side and Chrome will hang where Firefox doesn't. I don't know if it's related or just an issue with Chrome.

• 4 weeks later...

Yesterday (that'd be 2010.03.13 JST; same for all following times), Macrossworld was not accessible for the following periods:

11:00~12:30. The log in page, as well as main forum index would load. But the recent posts and any of the sub-forums would not open (thus giving the impression that the problem was related to the database and not the site in general).

21:00: able to access the website and content. However, there was a delay "significantly" longer than normal during the initial accessing of the site and the recent posts.

24:00+ unable to access the website (the endless loading of death. The "unable to access website" prompt didn't appear.

Today (that's 14:00): no problems.