Bandai DYRL 1/55 VF-1A question - what's under that sticker?

Robert D

Well, I believe that Bandai put a sticker over the existing stamp in order to cover it up.

According to an ex-Bandai employee, "As a side note, when we started discussing putting out the Hi-Metal version of the toy, it turned out that Matsushiro had a lot of leftover stock on hand. So some of the Strike Valkyries were shipped with Bandai stickers covering the Takatoku inscriptions."

I was just wondering if anyone could confirm that the Strike and DYRL VF-1A has "Takatoku" on the back.

The quote is from a translation from an article, provided by Matt Alt here:

http://toyboxdx.com/phorum/read.php?4,192680

As to why it matters, I'm doing some research on Matsushiro for an article I'm working on. ; )

I have six MIB VF-1S Strike Valkyrie and two MIB (one MISB) VF-1A 1/55's DYRL and the thought of removing the Bandai sticker never crossed my mind. But now you got me curious. Is this a personal research or a school project? Would love to read your research wen you're done.

I'm working on an article about all the Matsushiro toys for ToyboxDX.

I own the "Space Fighter" 1/55 as well as a "Mini Space Fighter" (which is just a 1/100 Takatoku VF-1J Hikaru in a Matsushrio box, a la the "Space Fighter" toy). These are interesting to me as they're sort of "grey market" and transitional toys between Takatoku's folding and Bandai taking up use of the 1/55 Valkyrie molds.

I'm also aware of the Matsushiro Jetfire, which I was told that there were several versions of, although I've only seen two (painted UN Spacey "kite" as well as a version that's just a sticker).

Annnnnnyway, I got to thinking that maybe some of the Hi Metal stuff was marked "Matsushiro" and thus the sticker placement by Bandai.

Total side note, if you haven't seen it already, you might enjoy this outing:

http://toyboxdx.com/datafiles/data/takatoku2/

Thanks for the link! BTW, have you ever seen the most rare Max and Miria giftset by Takatoku 1/55? Do you have pics of your collection?

The Takatoku M&M doesn't EXIST. The magazine has listed down all variations and release date, but none of them is the M&M giftset.... :rolleyes:

I find it strange that S Kawamori was not involved in the making of the 1/55 line. I still believe the MnM set is out there somewhere. And juse because the magazine has listed down all the variations doesn't mean the MnM set doesn't exist!! A buddy of mine knows of a person who have seen it back in the day.

>Do you have pics of your collection?

Alas, nothing on line. Maybe when I complete my Takatoku Macross collection I'll have to shoot something! ; )

As for the Max & Miria set, that along with the "Roy box" VF-1S I guess are sort of "urban legend" for Macross collectors. As I was telling a fellow toy collector I met recently who said he had the Roy boxed VF-1S as a kid, you can't prove that something DOESN'T exist, but given that we've not seen one picture of either of these at this point, I think the likelihood that these are out there is extremely slim...

That prototype Valk is awesome by the way!

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/toys/proto_taka.jpg

• 10 years later...

Bringing this post back from the dead, sorry!

Has anyone ever peeled away the black Bandai sticker on their 1/55 to see if it has the Takatoku stamp behind it?

Its only been 35 years....SOMEONE must have peeked right???
S

I have an extra VF-1A I can dig out and check. Might have to check an Elintseeker, Ostrich, as well as, Strike Valkyries. All of these had stickers.

We’re there any other toys like the 1/55s? Maybe JMs that had  a sticker as well or were those only stamped. I can’t recall.