Valks: 1/48 or 1/60, or none at all?

Robelwell202

Wow, you guys ditch the new, more articulated, much more solid [as in I'm not afraid the backplate will snap off whilst installing fast packs] V2...because the head is sitting about a centimetre taller in battroid mode than it should be?

Sad people...real sad people.

No, I think all of us pointing out the head issue aren't saying "Just because of this reason, the 1/48 is better." I just am saying that it's a "con" for the 1/60V2. The notion that you think the 1/48 backpack is any where near the same concern as the 1/60V2's shoulders seems startling to me. Almost every BP8 that ever broke was because someone was forcing the situation with back armor (as I pointed out, I broke a BP8 because I didn't notice the back antenna wasn't recessed). The 1/60V2 shoulders can be broke in the packaging before you get them.... indeed, my REPLACEMENTs that were sent to me, that had never been on a valk, broke in their bag. So, what were you saying about much more solid?

I still give it to the new 1/60 v.2. With the fixes of the issues, the 1/60 are my be all-end all to Valkyries. Even the 1/48s had issues that had to be fixed. The comments that they are more sturdy than the 1/60s, all I can say is, my how quickly people forget. That's not to say I've just written off the 1/60s previous issues, but at least for the early releases, Yamato realized these problems, and allowed broken parts to be bought through Overdrive. It makes me feel safe in being able to take out my v.2s and handle them.

Wow, you guys ditch the new, more articulated, much more solid [as in I'm not afraid the backplate will snap off whilst installing fast packs] V2...because the head is sitting about a centimetre taller in battroid mode than it should be?

Sad people...real sad people.

Did anyone say that? No. We're talking about the pro's and con's of the two releases. Sad strawman, sad.

I still give it to the new 1/60 v.2. With the fixes of the issues, the 1/60 are my be all-end all to Valkyries. Even the 1/48s had issues that had to be fixed. The comments that they are more sturdy than the 1/60s, all I can say is, my how quickly people forget. That's not to say I've just written off the 1/60s previous issues, but at least for the early releases, Yamato realized these problems, and allowed broken parts to be bought through Overdrive. It makes me feel safe in being able to take out my v.2s and handle them.

How long does the overdrive parts replacement take?

I think Overdrive should cancel that service until they have a better system for tracking it. The whole "we'll contact you if we ever get the part" system just leads to way too many complaints and way too many people spamming them with parts request. "I've asked for this part six times and never gotten a response!" They need to have a "my parts request" page where you can request a part and they can have a status "No response from Yamato" to basically let you know you're probably never going to get that part. This doesn't seem like the appropriate thread for that chat though.

I think Overdrive should cancel that service until they have a better system for tracking it. The whole "we'll contact you if we ever get the part" system just leads to way too many complaints and way too many people spamming them with parts request. "I've asked for this part six times and never gotten a response!" They need to have a "my parts request" page where you can request a part and they can have a status "No response from Yamato" to basically let you know you're probably never going to get that part. This doesn't seem like the appropriate thread for that chat though.

is it possible to just BUY the part from yamato???

I submitted a request months ago and haven't even got a reply that they got it.

If I were able to simply buy parts from Yamato, then I'd love to buy a couple of the water-slide decal sheets that they made for the 'special weathering' versions of the 1/60 Destroid Tomahawks that they made... The sticker decals suck!

That's exactly why Overdrive should cancel the service. They tried to do a good deed but it would be way too much work for them to keep telling people "Hey, Yamato never responded to your request." Meanwhile, people who submit requests are constantly bothered by the fact OD isn't telling them "Yamato never responded to your request."

Overdrive service cancelled until further notice...

there I said it. I'm pretty sure you can confirm Jenius. I know we talk to the same people.

If I may clarify, I assume you mean just the parts replacement service, right?

Pardon me if I'm being dense and misreading.

Overdrive service cancelled until further notice...

there I said it. I'm pretty sure you can confirm Jenius. I know we talk to the same people.

You know I haven't talked to them about the parts service since my order back when I got the first V2. I think it's safe to say if they mentioned it to you it's true. Maybe some day they will have a better way of managing the requests and restart the service.

Yes, we're just talking about the parts requests.

Okay Rob it appears to me that you may just have to purchase one of each (1/60 version 1, 1/60 version 2, and a 1/48 scale valk) and based on what feels right for you, go with that size. In my honest opinion I can't afford a slew of 1/48's, so if I were to choose a collection, I would go with a the 1/60 version 2. (detail or no) Not to mention if you collect the 1/60 Yamato Destroids, than why would you combine them with 1/48 Valks? Unless I am mistaken, I don't think they make 1/48 scale Tomahawks.

Again this is my humble opinion and nothing more. I suggest go with your gut B))

Edited by Iceblue106

To the OP:

I'd buy a 1/48 cheap, and if you like what you see, go and get the 1/60 v2 after the problems are all fixed just like the problems were fixed for later versions of the 1/72 vf-11b all those long years ago.

As long as yamato keep improving and applying fixes to the problems at some point in time you are going to want to eventually get the stuff. But make it an informed purchase and read the feedack the toys get.

I'm paranoid as hell about stuff so I never commit until I think I'm going to be getting a release which is problem free.

My fave is the 1/60 vf-11. Get one of those. Best out of the macross plus valks imo in terms of looking nice in all modes.

I even liked this the best in the 1/72 line.

I'm really torn about this. I'm ready to buy another valk but not sure which to get.

I currently only have:

V1 vf-1j hikaru

V2 vf-is roy (broken shoulder)

1/48 vf-1a cannon fodder

I LOVE the size of the 1/48 but HATE the broken shoulder thing of the 1/60 (and I bought the V1 hikaru by mistake)

So right now, I'm torn between a 1/48 vf1j hikaru or a 1/60 vf1a tv max.

That's the main reason I got into the 1:60 ver 2's, to get those 4 and a 1D all in the same scale. Of course, others followed... :wacko:

Destroids, Q-Rau, YF-21, YF-19, VF-11 etc all in 1/60 scale.....

1/60 scale is really a good size for details and price points. 1/100 is really too small while 1/48 are too chunky and losing details in that size IMO.

So right now, I'm torn between a 1/48 vf1j hikaru or a 1/60 vf1a tv max.

don't worry so much about matching scale. go with whatever makes you comfortable.

As an example the sv-51 is still a massive plane at 1/60 and it seems to be the right size for displaying taking up a lot of shelf space. But the vf-1 is small so you might want a 1/48 just because you like something that tiny to be at a larger size to be able to see more detail. (finer parts like the cockpit and pilot for example) Personally I would get the 1/48 first, and then 1/60 after all the problems with shoulders are fixed completely.

I say this because when I came in late with the 1/72 macross plus toys, I was happy to take advantage of the fact that the last release in that line (vf11 with fast packs) seem to have had the shoulder problem fixed.

This problem with shoulders on 1/60 v2 is like a repeat of what happened years ago when people were complaining about 1/72 stuff breaking. lol (ie last release containing fixes, earlier buyers left with broken stuff and buyers remorse)

In the case of 1/72 I think it was the hips breaking on the earlier non-fast pack releases.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker