HG and Robotech Debates

azrael

I said it before and I'll say it again: Roger Christian is the best director to do a LAM of RT. Just look at his credentials:

And let's not forget his 2000 masterpiece Battlefield Earth.

Hmm...

Now that you mention it RT fandom does remind me of Scientology.

Edited by RDClip

Only without the money and big-name actors to back it up.

And there is a character called Elron!! Yay!!! (See avatar)

Taksraven

Now that you mention it RT fandom does remind me of Scientology.

Oh, definitely... the Robotech fandom has always been something for people with more money than brains, and the most devoted fans give off that same "creepy militant cult of the mentally subnormal" that you get from scientologists. In what can only be described as true poetic irony, Harmony Gold's forum moderators even fall back on that same policy of "use any means necessary to silence the unbelievers" that the scientologists use, and the company itself relies heavily on litigation to silence anyone they think is a threat.

The parallels here are almost TOO perfect... it's eerie... and are just made creepier by the fact that one of the characters created for Robotech II: the Sentinels was named for L. Ron Hubbard... L'Ron, the Kabarran ambassador to the REF. He appears in Robotech: Prelude to the Shadow Chronicles too.

Only without the money and big-name actors to back it up.

Indeed... Harmony Gold is pretty small-time, and the few celebrities who seem to know about Robotech are likely either saying they love it out of professional obligation (like Tobey Maguire), or are such small-time nobodies that they don't matter to anyone. (I think Wil Wheaton was one of them)

Edited by Seto Kaiba

The parallels here are almost TOO perfect... it's eerie... and are just made creepier by the fact that one of the characters created for Robotech II: the Sentinels was named for L. Ron Hubbard... L'Ron, the Kabarran ambassador to the REF. He appears in Robotech: Prelude to the Shadow Chronicles too.

REALLY! I'd never have known! :p

Taksraven

Edited by taksraven

I recently checked some of Doug's recent podcasts and apparently, to him, the legal disputes is just a big hoax supposedly concocted by Seto and his Macross Groupies. And that Seto falsified the court documents to trick the RT fandom. I guess Doug doesn't even try to do some research because there are an @ssload of sites that reference to the court ruling as to why HG can't use any Macross elements in any animated or live action works.

And what's up with this BS about HP supposedly hired a hitman to kill him. :o

I smell a slander lawsuit coming. I hope you have a good lawyer, DougBendo!

Total Recall?? Starship Troopers?????? *Sigh*

Taksraven

As I've stated numerous times, I absolutely hated the movie Starship Troopers with a passion (I think it had something to do with actually reading the masterwork novel before seeing that film). Total Recall was rather good, but not stellar.

Also keep Verhoeven's hands off of it; the only good work to come out of him in a long time was that black comedy, the original Robocop.

Total Recall?? Starship Troopers?????? *Sigh*

Taksraven

I'm sure Taks is just having fun^_^ Still Verhoeven recently directed the WWII thriller "Black Book" which imo is his best movie in years.

REALLY! I'd never have known! :p

Try spelling his name correctly next time... :p

I smell a slander lawsuit coming. I hope you have a good lawyer, DougBendo!

Bah... now THERE'S a stupendous waste of time in the making. It'd be an enormous waste of time and money to pursue dougbendo in court for slander. It'd be easy enough to prove malice and that there are mooks out there who are stupid enough to believe his garbage (Maverick, MEMO, etc.), but it'd all come to nothing in the end. He's a BestBuy sales floor minion, so the odds of me being able to recover enough in monetary damages to cover the costs of bringing suit against him are slim at best. In the end, it's just not worth it. He's a powerless TalkShoe guttersnipe who's trying desperately to compensate for the powerlessness he feels in his soul-crushing menial job by being an internet tough guy.

EDIT: and don't even get me started on the Freudian implications of his penis fixation...

As I've stated numerous times, I absolutely hated the movie Starship Troopers with a passion (I think it had something to do with actually reading the masterwork novel before seeing that film). Total Recall was rather good, but not stellar.

Indeed... those Starship Troopers movies with Casper van Dien were atrocious... though you'd probably like the 1988 Studio Nue Starship Troopers OVA. It's the closest any adaptation has come to the story of the novel, right down to the Marauder armor.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

That would require an investment of time and effort, and RT is not worth it. :p :P

Taksraven

Bah... now THERE'S a stupendous waste of time in the making. It'd be an enormous waste of time and money to pursue dougbendo in court for slander. It'd be easy enough to prove malice and that there are mooks out there who are stupid enough to believe his garbage (Maverick, MEMO, etc.), but it'd all come to nothing in the end. He's a BestBuy sales floor minion, so the odds of me being able to recover enough in monetary damages to cover the costs of bringing suit against him are slim at best. In the end, it's just not worth it. He's a powerless TalkShoe guttersnipe who's trying desperately to compensate for the powerlessness he feels in his soul-crushing menial job by being an internet tough guy.

EDIT: and don't even get me started on the Freudian implications of his penis fixation...

oh how very, very, VERY true

Well, now you can expect an entire podcast episode over that :rolleyes:

Man I am amazed at how screwed up the RT fandom is.. but who can take the blame?

HG or those fans for being mental cases? No I am not talking about myself, though I do have a few mental problems of my own tee hee!

That would require an investment of time and effort, and RT is not worth it. :p :P

Eh, I'd make that tiny bit of effort for Sentinels, if only because it was, is, and likely always will be the only part of Robotech's canon/pseudocanon universe that has anything resembling original content. It might be horribly campy, corny, dated, and stupid original content... but beggars (Robotech fans) can't be choosers.

Well, now you can expect an entire podcast episode over that :rolleyes:

Are you sure? Considering how the dialogue in his podcast has more "ummmmmmmmmm" than a Buddhist monastery, there'd be no way to tell if he devoted an episode to it or not. Even if he did, the only thing that would come of it would be his three serious listeners nodding in agreement, and the rest of us laughing ourselves sick at his stupidity. :p

Man I am amazed at how screwed up the RT fandom is.. but who can take the blame?

HG or those fans for being mental cases? No I am not talking about myself, though I do have a few mental problems of my own tee hee!

Really, it's a mixed bag... sure, some of the pro-Robotech mental cases seem to have had a few screws loose even before they got involved with Harmony Gold's sinking ship, but you gotta give credit where credit is due and acknowledge the malicious manipulative streak of Harmony Gold's "Robotech team" in their many attempts to keep their fans as ignorant of Robotech's origins as possible and stir up hostility towards fans of the originals.

Eh, I'd make that tiny bit of effort for Sentinels, if only because it was, is, and likely always will be the only part of Robotech's canon/pseudocanon universe that has anything resembling original content. It might be horribly campy, corny, dated, and stupid original content... but beggars (Robotech fans) can't be choosers.

You have GOT to be kidding me. The only thing I would give Sentinels would be a slap to its blank face and a boot to its empty groin!!!

THAT would be worth the effort.

Taksraven

Okay, so how about Francis Ford Coppola getting the riegns of the Robotech movie. At least during the production of "Bram Stoker's Dracula" the cast and crew actually had sessions where they actually read the book at his urging.

Edited by Wanzerfan

Okay, so how about Francis Ford Coppola getting the reigns of the Robotech movie. At least during the production of "Bram Stoker's Dracula" the cast and crew actually had sessions where they actually read the book at his urging.

Meh. Coppola wouldn't give a rat's @$$ about RT. It's best to give the franchise to someone like Roger Christian, Uwe Boll or Paul W.S. Anderson.

I'm actually a fan of the Sentinels and enjoy every bit of its campyness and corniness :D

I especially liked the malcontent uprisings story, but yeah I'd choose Sentinels over TSC any day

Are you sure? Considering how the dialogue in his podcast has more "ummmmmmmmmm" than a Buddhist monastery, there'd be no way to tell if he devoted an episode to it or not. Even if he did, the only thing that would come of it would be his three serious listeners nodding in agreement, and the rest of us laughing ourselves sick at his stupidity. :p
Of course I wasn't sure, just being my usual sarcastic self ^_^

as he seems to make big issues out of EVERYTHING.

but all that poop aside, at least we have a sane podcaster that's doing a lot good for the fandom

aka JT with the Protoculture Times. Last he told me he had a five star rating on itunes, now that's something to talk about =]

the "other" podcast is just a waste of talkshoe's space.

Edited by HappyPenguins

Okay, so how about Francis Ford Coppola getting the riegns of the Robotech movie. At least during the production of "Bram Stoker's Dracula" the cast and crew actually had sessions where they actually read the book at his urging.

LOL

Francis Ford Coppola to direct some run of the mill popcorn sci-fi movie??? Yeah, that'll really compliment his resume. The Godfather, Apocalypse Now and Robotech.

Are you kidding me? Coppola is so overrated. I would rather see Spike Jonze direct an RT film, at least then it would probably be interesting...

Taksraven

but all that poop aside, at least we have a sane podcaster that's doing a lot good for the fandom

aka JT with the Protoculture Times. Last he told me he had a five star rating on itunes, now that's something to talk about =]

How about this one?

http://www.talkshoe.com/talkshoe/web/talkC...9738&cmd=tc

Never listened to that one because I don't know spanish :o

also that person loses points for having a shadow chronicles

user pic *grabs vomit bag*

I think it might be of interest to you, since you might be a talking point on the next show, as well as "los mensajeros de la descrucion que son los chicos de MW," or "the messengers of destruction who are the people of macrossworld." God, MEMO or doug is probably feeding the host lines or something.

Another example of the petty crap that goes around when it comes to the vocal personalities of Robotech while they're waiting for Shadow Rising and Hollytech.

Edited by Einherjar

Another example of the petty crap that goes around when it comes to the vocal personalities of Robotech while they're waiting for Shadow Rising and Hollytech.

Waiting for Godot more like....

Taksraven

I think it might be of interest to you, since you might be a talking point on the next show, as well as "los mensajeros de la descrucion que son los chicos de MW," or "the messengers of destruction who are the people of macrossworld." God, MEMO or doug is probably feeding the host lines or something.

Damn I'm becoming famous arent I? :lol:

also what the hell is it with RT podcasts and macross world?

Why do they care so much about people say here?

It's just a damn forum and its just text, in no way does

it have anything to do with killing robotech, if you ask me

these morons are killing the robotech fandom with their podcasts!

yeah mention that, I dare you!

at least the protoculture times doesnt resort to this stupid

behavior and actually tries to make RT discussion fun and enjoyable.

well enough of that crap

have some dragon macross!

http://lizardseraphim.deviantart.com/art/N...ruise-160327738

Misa & Hikaru have never looked better

I see you guys finally took care of the lag monster. God, the speed of the page load times here for a while on DSL were so slow for me at times I thought I was still on freaking dial-up.

I like the draco art, HappyPenguins.

You really do need to have a bit of history with the online Robotech fanbase to fully appreciate how rare something like JT's Protoculture Times podcast is. The vast majority of Robotech fans just don't have the talent, the inclination, or the patience to create something that doesn't suck. Any attempt to do something like the Macross Compendium or the Macross Mecha Manual for Robotech is almost guaranteed to fail because the continuity is in such total disarray that the canonicity of any particular Robotech title is almost entirely a matter of personal opinion. The closest they have is the uRRG, and that only maintains some coherency because it's intended to be a reference for a fan-fiction series, not the universe of the series. Blogs and podcasts are frequently no better off since their hosts seldom try to make any real effort to do something of substance, more often than not choosing to fall back on kissing Harmony Gold's ass in hopes of gaining legitimacy and an audience. Zen's podcast stands out not because it's a remarkable example of podcasting, but rather because he's attained a reasonable level of success and garnered the favorable notice of a great many people without kowtowing to Harmony Gold or having to invest in toothpaste and mouthwash specifically formulated to remove buttock smell.

Unsurprising, to say the least... JuanRT is a good friend of MEMO's, so of course he's adopting MEMO's usual attitude of "MacrossWorld people are the devil!".

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Are you kidding me, that should be the subtitle on the front page of this website.....

Taksraven

All this has happened before...

On a side note, a guy at the registration booth told me that macrossworld is full of a bunch of jerks. haha

And he's totally right, too.

^_^