HG and Robotech Debates

azrael

What really surprised me was that, while Maverick_LSC and MEMO1DOMINION were busy putting a stop to any and all criticism of Shadow Chronicles using every excuse they could think of, Tommy was actually willing to listen to fan feedback after he announced that he was retconning protoculture out of the 1st and 2nd generation mecha as a power source...

That's what always bugged me about HG's creative director. If you meet the guy, he can be an affable fellow. But if you cross him (ex. UEG, the people who planned to put out a Mospeada artbook, criticize his poster, Vince McHenry, put up unofficial cast interviews) he will crush you, burn your house, eat your children. I have some Korean friends who are like that... a lot of pride. It's very unprofessional for the Yunes, but maybe it's just cultural??

I've said this numerous times, and I'll say it again: Kevin McKeever is a racist jackass. Back on the old MW forums, he called me a "South East Asian hick", which promptly got him banned. Not once did he apologize for that statement. Instead, he posted on his blog that it was in retaliation to my comment on Toynami's quality control:

"That's right - stop bashing Toynami! Think about the monkeys that slaved themselves to build you your MPCs. Be kind to animals"

I don't know how, but McKeever misinterpreted that quote as racist against the Chinese. WTF?

I've said this numerous times, and I'll say it again: Kevin McKeever is a racist jackass. Back on the old MW forums, he called me a "South East Asian hick", which promptly got him banned. Not once did he apologize for that statement.

Oh please...

The entire admin-staff of that website, and franchise, are arrogent-racist pricks. I'd say they were a cosmetic surgury away from joining a NAZI party...but the truth is, they only believe in themselves. Big suprise... :blink:

I've said this numerous times, and I'll say it again: Kevin McKeever is a racist jackass. Back on the old MW forums, he called me a "South East Asian hick", which promptly got him banned. Not once did he apologize for that statement.

Hey.... I resent that remark!!!!!!

Kevin McKeever, if you're reading this: just because you work in a posh LA office, doesn't mean you can beat down us 3rd worlders!

Edited by chrisk

Remember, since they're considered professionals they're fair game like Quesada. It's sad if they can't take criticism from some anonymous people online who didn't represent a huge chunk of the people they were trying to entertain years ago. Now though, they've helped that group grow.

Edited by Einherjar

That's what always bugged me about HG's creative director. If you meet the guy, he can be an affable fellow. But if you cross him [...] he will crush you, burn your house, eat your children. [...] It's very unprofessional for the Yunes, but maybe it's just cultural??

To be perfectly honest, it doesn't matter if his arrogance and jackass attitude are the result of his upbringing or not... it's still no excuse for him to act like a bellend in public and verbally abuse the paying customers whose business is the only thing justifying his continued employment. In the final analysis, calling his attitude "arrogance" might be rather generous, it's more like textbook stupidity... biting the hand that feeds you.

I've said this numerous times, and I'll say it again: Kevin McKeever is a racist jackass. Back on the old MW forums, he called me a "South East Asian hick", which promptly got him banned. Not once did he apologize for that statement. Instead, he posted on his blog that it was in retaliation to my comment on Toynami's quality control:

Admittedly, that's a topic he seems determined to dodge whenever someone "in the know" brings it up just to tweak him... though saying McKeever's an apeface is perhaps a blinding flash of the obvious. Seeing the way they treat customers on a regular basis, I have to wonder how these idiots have managed to stay employed. No company in its right mind would let employees abuse customers and kick them out simply for expressing their opinions about their products. So long as they're paying customers, Harmony Gold's employees should suck it up, shut the hell up, and let them talk even if they don't like what they're saying. It's good for business.

I know Harmony Gold and McKeever work in a LA office? But I doubt it's posh...

What little we've seen of it makes it look like pretty generic office space... like the sort of rental business property you'd find just about anywhere. Dollars to donuts McKeever and Yune are just another pair of residents in the Harmony Gold cube farm.

So IRL, Tommy, Steve and Kevin pretends to be nice guys, but in the internet, they show their true personality as total @-holes?

Nah, they're generally apefaces in person too... they're just less blatant about it.

Nah, they're generally apefaces in person too... they're just less blatant about it.

Talk to EXO or whomever was at MW Con '09. They can tell you what Tommy is like outside his RT/HG-controlled environment.

Talk to EXO or whomever was at MW Con '09. They can tell you what Tommy is like outside his RT/HG-controlled environment.

To be fair, it wouldn't really benefit him to be agro robotech propoganda at a Macross function. Meanwhile he can gather intel about the goings on in the Light side of the Force.

To be fair, it wouldn't really benefit him to be agro robotech propoganda at a Macross function. Meanwhile he can gather intel about the goings on in the Light side of the Force.

That is probably not the place to really get an idea. To get an idea of someone, you should probably try to get all aspects and info you can. At MW, I know he avoided the usual propaganda. Perhaps one day, he'll show up at a MW con and someone will ask about the licensing issue, in a way that can't be skirted and misdirected like it has been for so long? We'll see.

That is probably not the place to really get an idea. To get an idea of someone, you should probably try to get all aspects and info you can. At MW, I know he avoided the usual propaganda. Perhaps one day, he'll show up at a MW con and someone will ask about the licensing issue, in a way that can't be skirted and misdirected like it has been for so long? We'll see.

Nah, he'd probably just pull a Snagglepuss, "eeeexit, staaage right!"

Nah, he'd probably just pull a Snagglepuss, "eeeexit, staaage right!"

That could happen, but if someone asked in the midst of other MW members, what would that show the community? Not necessarily the best thing to do either. The joys of letting an issue build up.

I'd say that, to protect his job, he'll say anything ambiguous regardless of how the question(s) is structured to keep everyone thinking and hoping.

a.k.a. Keep staling, because nothing is going to change the situation. Let's be honest, he can say anything at this point with little to no consequences as long as other people's lawyers are not sent against HG. And die-hard fans are willingly going to continue being screwed by inferior products.

So I hear Voltron is getting another new show. I guess WEP has better relations with the Japanese than HG. Or they're more competent.

Really, just Voltron, or a Golion remake as well?

What I've heard about Tommy from the former SoCal Robotech crowd is that his attitude is almost as arrogant and contemptuous when he's outside his controlled environment as it is when he's on the clock. Seeing the way he acts when he's doing convention panels and posting on Robotech.com, it didn't come as much of a surprise to hear people accuse him of being a glory hog who likes taking credit for work he didn't do. He seems to be utterly convinced that his "vision" for Robotech is the best thing that ever happened to the franchise, and gets pretty pissed off when people take pot shots at it.

That could happen, but if someone asked in the midst of other MW members, what would that show the community? Not necessarily the best thing to do either. The joys of letting an issue build up.

For him, that's a no-win scenario... no matter what he does or says he's going to come out looking bad. He might as well attempt to minimize the damage by exiting stage right at maximum velocity...

I'd say that, to protect his job, he'll say anything ambiguous regardless of how the question(s) is structured to keep everyone thinking and hoping.

Let's be honest here... whatever the man's other faults, Tommy Yune isn't a complete idiot. What he's doing by keeping things vague and misdirecting questions about the Macross rights is protecting his job.

It doesn't take any great feats of pattern recognition to notice that the only part of Robotech that most of the fans actually care about and want to see more of is the Macross Saga, and consequentially that's the merchandise that sells the best. Now, Tommy's just as capable of spotting these trends as anyone else, and he seems to have arrived at the obvious conclusion that if he tells the fans the truth and admits they can't use content from Macross in any future Robotech sequels, the franchise will fall apart and he'll be out of a job.

So, at least for the time being, it's in his best interests to keep being vague and misdirecting questions about the legal situation.

It doesn't take any great feats of pattern recognition to notice that the only part of Robotech that most of the fans actually care about and want to see more of is the Macross Saga, and consequentially that's the merchandise that sells the best.

And yet...there is TONS more Macross stuff out there, if people just bothered to look...

Oh wait, that's right. Macross doesn't have the "epic feel" or "Westernized [i.e. 'improved'] storytelling" of Robotech. And you don't get to find out what happens to Hikajoo Jojo, or whatever Rick Hunter's name is supposed to be.

And yet...there is TONS more Macross stuff out there, if people just bothered to look...

Of course... which is why Harmony Gold has put so much effort into obfuscation and misdirection intended to convince the Robotech faithful that the original Super Dimension Fortress Macross series is seen as inferior to Robotech and that the other Macross shows aren't worth looking into and take all kinds of pointers from Robotech.

Speaking of Tiny-Tommy...

It doesn't seem as though he, or the other Admins or Mods, need to get all up-and-about over the Macross questions...

They seem to have trained their cultist-zealots well at dis-illusioning anyone who doesn't know the difference between Robotech & Macross... :unsure::blink::huh:

Speaking of Tiny-Tommy...

It doesn't seem as though he, or the other Admins or Mods, need to get all up-and-about over the Macross questions...

They seem to have trained their cultist-zealots well at dis-illusioning anyone who doesn't know the difference between Robotech & Macross... :unsure::blink::huh:

*whew* That was a close one. :rolleyes:

EDIT: I especially like how the first poster (another Robotech fan who can't spell! YAY!) says he watched Robotech before (and apparently loved it), and the first reply tells him "How to Watch Robotech." Easy, pardner...the guy's already seen it... ^_^

Edited by Gubaba

Oh wait, that's right. Macross doesn't have the "epic feel" or "Westernized [i.e. 'improved'] storytelling" of Robotech. And you don't get to find out what happens to Hikajoo Jojo, or whatever Rick Hunter's name is supposed to be.

I remember that epic and westernized storytelling of Robotech; the show relies on an unreliable narrator and the rest of material was sprinkled with TMI and character derailment.

Oh yeah, but it didn't count because it was retconned to a 90 minute addendum.

*whew* That was a close one. :rolleyes:

EDIT: I especially like how the first poster (another Robotech fan who can't spell! YAY!) says he watched Robotech before (and apparently loved it), and the first reply tells him "How to Watch Robotech." Easy, pardner...the guy's already seen it... ^_^

Robotech fans who can't spell? Hmm that seems to be common trait amongst them, or at least something I noticed back in my Rt.com lurking days.

some of them can't read either, which is why microsoft sam comes in handy for a certain podcast ;)

needless to say those are the types of members HG prefers to have on their site =]

the stupid the better right?

Oddly enough, when confronted with the facts of the Macross rights situation on Robotech.com's forums, Tommy and Kevin mysteriously clam up and refuse to comment, when ordinarily a challenge to their perceived success and authority would have them all over the thread like a kleptomaniac on a poorly attended table of iPods.

After reading that, I wouldn't say they're trying to disillusion the kid... it does look like they're doing some hasty retroactive ass-covering to keep the guy from concluding that Robotech has just been riding Macross's coattails in the most inept of fashions since 1985.

I'm really looking forward to J T's review of End of the Circle (don't spoil it Seto).

All I'll say is this... the authors must've been smoking a lot of "protoculture" when they wrote EotC.

You're forgetting money, or a large disposable income to devote to it without foresight. The stupider, the richer, the better.

Eh, given their endorsement of MEMO's behavior, I don't think they care if the income is disposable or not so long as they spend it on Robotech crap. What the Harmony Gold "creative team" wants is a blindly loyal fanbase whose desire to purchase the latest feeble Robotech merchandise borders on an obsessive-compulsive disorder.

...On second thought...

On considering my earlier post, i held back; but, after infinite-amount of time contemplating the positives and negatives of RT.com's Rhade, i decided that this was too good to pass up...

Y'see, where he was just offensive before, he's taken his air of individual-Superiority (or maybe that should be Arrogant-Superiority...either way) to a whole new level! I guess that's what Kaiba was talking about with that Email post between himself and Rhade...eh, awhile ago now.

...I guess that's what you get when you "learn yourself"... :lol:

...On second thought...

On considering my earlier post, i held back; but, after infinite-amount of time contemplating the positives and negatives of RT.com's Rhade, i decided that this was too good to pass up...

Y'see, where he was just offensive before, he's taken his air of individual-Superiority (or maybe that should be Arrogant-Superiority...either way) to a whole new level! I guess that's what Kaiba was talking about with that Email post between himself and Rhade...eh, awhile ago now.

I find Jeebers' post more annoying than Rhade's.

Robotech fans who can't spell? Hmm that seems to be common trait amongst them, or at least something I noticed back in my Rt.com lurking days.

some of them can't read either, which is why microsoft sam comes in handy for a certain podcast ;)

needless to say those are the types of members HG prefers to have on their site =]

the stupid the better right?

But isn't that exactly the kind of fanbase HG/RT prefer? :lol:

After all, they believe their fanbase consists of children. :rolleyes:

...On second thought...

So this Rhade guy... he believes he's some sort of authority on the difference between Macross/Robotech, but he thinks the Macross timeline is a mess?

What exactly is confusing about the Macross timeline? Are the dates & numbers too much for these people?

Oh wait... never mind... Robotech people w/ their "numbers". :rolleyes: the SDF-1 is 0.87 long ^_^

When you get right down to it, there generally isn't much in the way of difference between being a fan of Robotech and just being ignorant. Some of the blame for their ignorance must fall on the heads of Harmony Gold's creative team, who have put a lot of effort into keeping fans ignorant of Macross, but we can't excuse their ignorance outright, as much of the basic information is still readily available online.

Even among Robotech fans, whose ignorance and belligerent nature is common knowledge in mecha anime circles, Rhade is a somewhat exceptional case. Like many of the most belligerent and devoted Robotech fans, he seems to be completely out of touch with the franchise as a whole... and particularly the new material created by Tommy Yune as part of the continuity reboot. Admittedly, his tastes run towards the strange even for a Robotech fan, since he's an avid Masters Saga fan and thinks General Leonard was a great leader despite every single Robotech adaptation or continuation that featured him depicted him as an arrogant, xenophobic, team-killing bastard, and Tommy's recent work depicts him as also being a traitor to the United Earth Government and secret agent of the Anti-Unification League. He's also in with that whole pro-HG pro-Masters Saga fandom gang that harasses anyone who mob up on anyone who points out that Leonard being a xenophobic, team-killing, traitorous douche isn't opinion... it's canon. He's always thought he's smarter than everyone else, and tried to pull a couple fast ones on the other fans... usually accompanied by tall tales which get progressively more absurd the more he's confronted. It doesn't surprise me that once again he's spouting off about Macross without knowing what he's talking about.