1/60 Yamato VF-0A

Valkyrie Driver

I just got a Yamato VF-0A 1/60, shortly before I left for Christmas leave. When I say just before, I mean I only got a couple of hours to handle the toy and play with it a bit. I was very impressed with the level of detail, the only other 1/60 I have is a TRU VF-1A Cannon Fodder.

Pros:

I love the fact that the toy has some heft to it, but not overly heavy like my brownie. I was also thoroughly impressed with the detail in the transformation sequence. The fact that the toy stays in one piece during transformation was a huge selling point for me, as I hate kibble. I have two Toynami 1/100 valks, and they're fun, but they have so much kibble it's not funny. The fact that the VF-0 is virtually devoid of it thrills me. All the modes look true to the OVA, something which my previous experiences lacked. The toy's poseability impressed me as well, being much more so than my brownie.

Cons:

Some of the bad things I noticed, my gunpod seems to dislike being hung under the toy in fighter mode, and in Battroid mode the Shoulder joints are a tad loose. Aside from that I have no complaints.

Accessories:

Most of you know what this toy comes with, but I'm gonna go over it anyway.

* 12 x Grey color detachable AIM-200A AMRAAM missiles on 4 x detachable pylons.

* 1 x GPU-9 Gunpod, with sliding stock, collapsible pistol grip and translucent red sensor.

* 2 x magnetically mounted leg FAST Packs.

* 1 x Pilot figure.

* 1 x Sticker sheet.

* 1 x 20 page black and white instruction manual.

* 1 x Light grey plastic adaptor for mounting the toy onto a Yamato display stand in Fighter mode.

* 1 x Grey plastic adaptor for mounting the toy onto a Yamato display stand in GERWALK mode.

* 1 x Detachable nose-mounted pitot tube.

* 2 x Removable engine intake covers.

I was very happy that the toy came with the super parts, and missiles. For those of us who chose to put the different squadron markings on the toy, I would like to see other under wing stores offered as a separate purchase. (The other stores seen in the OVA are available with the ghost fighter, which functions as seen in the OVA).

Aesthetics:

From the minute I first saw zero, I was smitten by the VF-0's looks. The Macross design heritage is quite present, but so are some modern aerodynamic design elements. I loved the way Kawamori-san integrated the two, and how some of the design features foreshadowed other VF's to come. With that said, the toy was executed beautifully, and I'm very impressed. I don't have any pictures yet, but I will soon.

I love modifications and making accessories for my VF's so if anybody has Ideas on how to make some under wing stores for the toy I'd love to hear them.

I intend to get the Ghost fighter to accompany this toy, so yet more pics will be forthcoming.

Upon returning to the Barracks I discovered the culprit of the loose shoulder. The right shoulder has stress cracks in the plastic, also, I discovered a weakness in the bicep rotation. The Plastic broke and the arm popped off, I'm still pleased with the toy, as these problems are something I can fix, with patience and time. The fracture in the shoulder is not bad, as it still remains attached to the toy, but it will be a detail that requires attention. I got very unlucky to have these problems, but I am still pleased.

Yeah I'm currently on the hunt for a VF-0S myself. My brother has a couple of VF-0's on display and they do look pretty impressive, though the 0A is a little too plain for my tastes.

And yes I have to pimp out the VF-0D as well, one can hope that they will one day release that bad boy as well.

That is correct sir, they have not released one. All they have done is released the VF-0S which was fine so I never understood why they haven't done the same with the VF-0A. It's funny they seem to have just entirely moved away from the Zero franchise after the last SV-51 was produced. There are still more things to be made, the VF-0D, Reaction Armor, and just general repaints. But first they should just do the basic fixes to the 0A then go from there, that is if they were to go back to the line.

Regardless of the Shoulder Problems, the VF-0A will be pulling late night post on my desk at barksdale, along side my VF-1's and new vf-25f. I think I have the shoulder issue fixed, not great but it'll work, some superglue and a little extra torque (evenly distributed mind you) are keeping it together right now. I would definitely consider getting a VF-0S reissue, but right now money is a bit tight.

What you're going through is what we all went through. Yamato said that CF was in fact the shin type, and that the shin type shown in Zero was in error. So we all bought it. Then a while on the actual shin type was released in the ghost pack combo.

What you're going through is what we all went through. Yamato said that CF was in fact the shin type, and that the shin type shown in Zero was in error. So we all bought it. Then a while on the actual shin type was released in the ghost pack combo.

What the hell do they mean the Shin-type in 0 was an error?? Any difference in the paint job between a CF-0 and Shin-type? Or is it just the pilot figure? In that case I'll just buy some red paint. I got the D-A ghost, I like that paint scheme better than the D-B. Look the same if you ask me, or is there a difference beside the paint? :rolleyes:

What the hell do they mean the Shin-type in 0 was an error?? Any difference in the paint job between a CF-0 and Shin-type? Or is it just the pilot figure? In that case I'll just buy some red paint. I got the D-A ghost, I like that paint scheme better than the D-B. Look the same if you ask me, or is there a difference beside the paint? :rolleyes:

they said it was an animation error. <_<

the shin type is different, it has a white stripe across the chest where the 0s has the black stripe.

This along with how spectacularly craptacular the shoulders turned out to be soured many members here to yamato... permanently.

they said it was an animation error. <_<

the shin type is different, it has a white stripe across the chest where the 0s has the black stripe.

This along with how spectacularly craptacular the shoulders turned out to be soured many members here to yamato... permanently.

That and there's a bit less black in front of the cockpit on the nose (anti-glare paint).

I though the error was that the CF's in the show were brown but the toy's were gray because they were really gray in the show because HFH said so even though they were clearly brown?

Edited by anime52k8

I though the error was that the CF's in the show were brown but they toy's were grey because they were really grey in the show because HFH said so even though they were clearly brown?

That too... man this reminds me what a giant cock up the vf-0 line was in general.

This may be sacrilegious to say, but, I don't really care if the color is a bit off, or it was supposed to be the shin type or just a cannon fodder (I assume that's what is meant by the CF) as I will put the the VF-1 wolfpack sqdn colors on it (some day). As long as the shoulder decides to hold together, I'm fine with the fact that it looks good, it's solid (minus my issues), and the modes are accurate to the depiction of the CG model from the anime. I actually find the low vis grey scheme to be real world accurate which is what the 0A's in Zero were trying to represent. I'm not an expert, nor do I claim to be, I'm simply happy to have a cool macross toy to add into my collection.

I'd make the purchase again in a heartbeat.

What I don't understand is how these are almost guaranteed to break yet the price still remains very high.

I think people are still buying these because if there just aren't too many options if you want a VF-0. Yamato hasn't really shown too much interest in revisiting the Macross Zero line so I thought it would be pointless to wait and caved in and picked up a VF-0A Shin Kudo w/ Ghost Booster in all it's floppy glory. Despite all that, I still really love my VF-0A... but it'll probably forever remain fighter mode.

To me, the biggest bonus in a second run would be smaller panel line seams (assuming they addressed the fragility of the earlier releases). The v2 VF-1s have really thin seams and that make it look so much less "toy-like" in my opinion. I don't have any VF-0s but my SV-51 has fat panel line seams and that's what just jumped out at me when I got it.

Fix that to match the narrow, precision lines on the VF-1 v2s and you'd have a real winner. Then again, maybe the VF-0 was a poor seller for Yamato in the grand scheme of things.

Graham, if you're watching this, any thoughts?

I think people are still buying these because if there just aren't too many options if you want a VF-0. Yamato hasn't really shown too much interest in revisiting the Macross Zero line so I thought it would be pointless to wait and caved in and picked up a VF-0A Shin Kudo w/ Ghost Booster in all it's floppy glory. Despite all that, I still really love my VF-0A... but it'll probably forever remain fighter mode.

Haven't transformed mine yet, threw the booster on it and that's it. It's funny how they can fart away the 0 when it has the exact same transformation as the VF-1. :rolleyes:

To me, zero is like any attractive woman, not without faults, but you still can't help but love her.

Yes, I went there, I have similar relationships with cars, and airplanes, and guns. I'm in the military what do you expect.

Hi Guys,

Just finished 'customizing' my VF-0A. Love the design and love the details. It took me around a week to finish this and it really 'drill' my heart (and eyes) away. Just got my pin vice last week and this is my first try on Yamato VF-0A. I wish I can do more details later with other valks and my next target would be VF-1 1/48 and continue on with 1/60 scale. Now drilling my 1/72 Alto Armored. ;) I had to pull out my super glue to glue the shoulder and arm due to cracks. That's the worst part of the experience when finishing up this valk.

Anyway, Hope you like it and drill your eyes away :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

cheers,

ikhii

please click on the thumbnails for 'details'

post-3479-1263661994_thumb.jpgpost-3479-1263662014_thumb.jpgpost-3479-1263662028_thumb.jpg

post-3479-1263662039_thumb.jpgpost-3479-1263662078_thumb.jpgpost-3479-1263662092_thumb.jpg

post-3479-1263662355_thumb.jpgpost-3479-1263662342_thumb.jpgpost-3479-1263662405_thumb.jpg

post-3479-1263662421_thumb.jpgpost-3479-1263662431_thumb.jpgpost-3479-1263662442_thumb.jpg

post-3479-1263662456_thumb.jpgpost-3479-1263662468_thumb.jpgpost-3479-1263662479_thumb.jpg

post-3479-1263662507_thumb.jpgpost-3479-1263662532_thumb.jpgpost-3479-1263662546_thumb.jpg

post-3479-1263662564_thumb.jpgpost-3479-1263662579_thumb.jpgpost-3479-1263662594_thumb.jpg