I think he was referencing the conversation you and a few others had back on page 5 of this thread, that's all.

<Sigh> I thought we had moved beyond that. We're on what, page 8 now, and I stopped pressing the "learn to read or die" after Gubaba's post on page 5.

Tochiro hasn't posted in this thread since 2011.01.07. Not sure why this is being brought up again, as he appears to have also stopped pressing the "learn to read or die" ideology.

The only thing I've posted in this thread in the past 24 hours is:

On the one hand, anime 52k8, you're logic is valid, however are we at the point where the companies in question will listen to their non-Japanese customers? Can customers even be called customers if the customer is not purchasing anything and is waiting for the company to provide a service?

The million dollar question is: are these companies aware of the non-Japanese markets, and if so do they perceive that there is enough demand in the markets for content dedicated exclusively for said markets?

Not sure how that provoked the return of the "read or die" ideology that's dead and buried. Nevertheless, Bri provided an excellent response here, to which my response is that there is a 3rd option: but because Exo posted this, there's no point in elaborating on it in this thread.

If someone asks you for scans, then just say "I'm sorry, but I don't do scans" and leave it at that.

Agreed. But it is annoying when someone can't be bothered to read your signature outlining your personal policy against posting scans from current publications and post the request anyways. Grr...

Speaking of scans and thinking back to the gentleman's agreement, Chronicle is finished being published....

Indeed.

Edited by sketchley

Your last comment does go against that,

No it doesn't. Saying "if you've seen the show, you can understand the comic just from the pictures" is not the same as saying "you should learn Japanese." You just took one or two sentences I wrote out of context, and spin a new context around them.

but I wasn't attacking you in the post (as I even said in it). I was quoting what you said as a generalized thing to react to.

You may not have been, but Seto and Ichido Reichan sure were, based on your misrepresentation of my point.

Well why "buy" it if it's up on the web for "FREE".

Because that's how I am. I would prefer to have it to read in bed at some point later on before I go to sleep, and having the book is better than having a laptop in this case. Plus, I DO want to support the original authors, and fully plan to if it ever comes out in english.

I can understand this if you're talking about some other comic...but this is Macross the First. You've seen SDF Macross, haven't you? If so, you know most of the dialogue from Vol. 1 already, and while the details differ in Vol. 2, the overall story doesn't.

Anyone tempted to check the book out already knows the plot. So the whole "I can't read it" argument doesn't really wash with me.

One can call it laziness, I suppose. I have seen SDFM (though not recently), so I know the story and the basics behind it. But there is obviously some differences and subtleties that will be lost if I can't read it.

Like I said, I'm willing to put up with a scanlation as a stop-gap measure (with the understanding that the translation may not 100% accurately convey the meaning of the text, unless done by the creators), but I still want books in my hand that I can read, and am ready to buy them when they come out, despite possibly having read the story from scans beforehand.

I have seen so many crappy titles that managed to end up with english versions in the book stores it just seems like a real crime that HG screwed us over with regards to Macross.

Does the licensing only apply to the US? If there is a market, could they print Macross in the UK or Australia? I'd buy those too, even if Minmei ended up readling like she was from London. :}

Does the licensing only apply to the US? If there is a market, could they print Macross in the UK or Australia? I'd buy those too, even if Minmei ended up readling like she was from London. :}

Hey, better than she was from Madrid. :lol:

If there is a market, could they print Macross in the UK or Australia? I'd buy those too, even if Minmei ended up readling like she was from London. :}

Unfortunately, no they can't. To my knowledge Macross 7 Trash was the last officially translated publication over 10 years ago, available still in French, German and Italian. Nothings been published since then outside of Japan in western markets. (For more details check out the first few posts in the Robotech thread)

Unfortunately, no they can't. To my knowledge Macross 7 Trash was the last officially translated publication over 10 years ago, available still in French, German and Italian. Nothings been published since then outside of Japan in western markets. (For more details check out the first few posts in the Robotech thread)

Available in Spanish too ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wait... this thing is up to Macross the First #7 !!!???

I just got done "reading" #2 ...

My one - well - two minor gripes:

1) Hikaru shows up for his date with Minmey dressed like...well...I don't really know how to call it...is this supposed to signify some kind of dweeb boy-otaku? Personally, I much prefer how in SDFM TV Hikaru shows up in a shirt and tie - maybe not for the date...oh snap!...wait...now my mind is melting...

In DYRL he shows up wearing some fancy-pants get up...a t-shirt or something....ok... but in SDFM TV...doesn't he show up in a tie?

Anyways - I always liked this about 70s/80s anime that on the one hand you had this super advanced science - but on the other hand fashion remained traditional and reserved and women looked lady like and guys looked like gentlemen.

I guess this is why I also love the aesthetics in Turn-A-Gundam...

That said, I'm not by nature opposed to fashion updates...but... were they trying to make Hikaru look totally lame here?

2) Swapping Science Officer Man (who got the part of Dr. Lang in Robotech) for Hot Science Chick with Glasses was....not a good move IMO. I understand that the Science Officer was, in Macross at least, such a minor character that in effect it doesn't really "matter" - I guess manga-fans will find it more appealing to gawk at Dr. SexBomb than at a rendition of a boring dude with no character appeal...maybe that was the thinking behind it but...

Oh well - in any case - I do enjoy this Manga.

Pete

When are we getting Macross the First #3?

It's probably right around the corner, being that there's a good amount of material to fill up a 3rd book. I'm waiting for the translator app for the iphone to be able to translate Japanese into English. At that point, I'll be able to understand what the specific dialogue is saying.

Wait... this thing is up to Macross the First #7 !!!???

The latest chapter is Chapter 8 serialized in Macross Ace (halfway through the battle of Mars).

End of the collected volume 2 is Chapter 5.

I just got done "reading" #2 ...

My one - well - two minor gripes:

1) Hikaru shows up for his date with Minmey dressed like...well...I don't really know how to call it...is this supposed to signify some kind of dweeb boy-otaku? Personally, I much prefer how in SDFM TV Hikaru shows up in a shirt and tie - maybe not for the date...oh snap!...wait...now my mind is melting...

What, the Skull Team cap and navy flight jacket? Remember he just arrived on the ship with literally just the clothes on his back, he probably scrounged those off Roy.

2) Swapping Science Officer Man (who got the part of Dr. Lang in Robotech) for Hot Science Chick with Glasses was....not a good move IMO. I understand that the Science Officer was, in Macross at least, such a minor character that in effect it doesn't really "matter" - I guess manga-fans will find it more appealing to gawk at Dr. SexBomb than at a rendition of a boring dude with no character appeal...maybe that was the thinking behind it but...

Pete

Maybe they want to ship Xena with Exsedol or something...

Edited by hulagu

Which one? If you mean the 2011 Tohoku Earthquake and Tsunami, then there's no effect.

Whaaat. You don't actually think he may otherwise be referring to, I dunno, the magnitude 8.2 Aomori earthquake and tsunami from 1968, do you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZfFK2Jc67k&feature=player_embedded

Yes, because this one clearly had an effect on the release of volume 3 of Macross the First.

As for this month's chapter itself, I actually found it a bit too short compared to last issue's. Nothing much really happened...

What, the Skull Team cap and navy flight jacket? Remember he just arrived on the ship with literally just the clothes on his back, he probably scrounged those off Roy.

That is actually quite logical. So, I guess it wasn't a crazy fashion choice after all :lol:

Finally... what's that bunny animal of Minmey's? Is it a bunny? I kinda miss the rats (you know you're a hardcore SDFM purist when you miss the rats instead of being happy at the cute animal thingy)...

Marii Ijima has a bunny - so is this supposed to be some kind of hommage to that - or is it a space bunny - like something that grew there when the Zendradi still used it, miraculously survived the crash and generally has a cute-span of a 100 years?

Pete

Spent last night, just for the heck of it, rereading Chapter 1 while also reading the old Comico Robotech adaptation. Was kinda fun comparing the different takes on the story (atrocious Comico art notwithstanding).

Two words: Rick Yamata. :p

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

New Guy, somewhat, been on and off the site. Aside from volumes 1 and 2 of Macross The First, did the other volumes come out yet? I've seen pics of them but my local Japanese book store says only 2 came out. Thanks.

There's still only the 2 that came out. In the Macross Ace magazine, they're up to Mars Base incident, but they haven't comprised those issues into book #3 as of yet. Actually, come to think of it, it should be somewhat soon, I'm guessing, as they've done several issues now, they may have enough content for the 3rd volume.

There's still only the 2 that came out. In the Macross Ace magazine, they're up to Mars Base incident, but they haven't comprised those issues into book #3 as of yet. Actually, come to think of it, it should be somewhat soon, I'm guessing, as they've done several issues now, they may have enough content for the 3rd volume.

Ahhh... OK cool. Thanks Jasonc for the info.