Macross the First #7...

ASTEROID CRACKER!!! AWESOME!!

First, Minmay delivering food to the bridge, then the Asteroid Cracker. I'm now POSITIVE that Mikimoto is pulling out ideas that didn't make it into the production of the show, and adding them into the comic.

Here's hoping we get to see the Sunriser destroy the Moon later on. :D

Captain Global checking out Minmay's ass seems to be another idea pulled straight from the original story concepts!

Captain Global checking out Minmay's ass seems to be another idea pulled straight from the original story concepts!

It is really over the top but I loved it! Max in a Destroid... And Hikaru's line about being "teached" by his commander (Misa). Too bad is really short! <_<

Is there anywhere I can get a Translation for Vol. #1 and 2? Any help is appreciated.

Has anyone heard of any updates regarding scanlations of these books? The old lady just brought back Volumes 1 and 2 from Japan, but she's too lazy to translate for me and I'm too lazy to learn Japanese. Dammit.

Has anyone heard of any updates regarding scanlations of these books? The old lady just brought back Volumes 1 and 2 from Japan, but she's too lazy to translate for me and I'm too lazy to learn Japanese. Dammit.

I heard there was some group wanting to do it, but I doubt it'd be free from them. I think that kinda sucks, because not only is the book still available for purchase at book stores, but they're trying to make a profit off of someone else's work. I don't know how long the production run of the manga go on for, but perhaps after book one is no longer in stores, maybe the scanlation will come out. It's not my call, so I can't say when it will be available. I know people are asking for it, but in trying to be respectful of the franchise, give it some time. B))

Me thinks that as long as Macross: the First continues to be published in Macross Ace, the collected volumes will remain in-print (or reprint).

There are some of us with the skills to do it, but we are resisting even producing a text-only translation because of the ease that someone else could take our work and photoshop it onto scans of the manga collections; thereby reducing the number of people buying the originals (thereby putting a damper on further Macross productions). Even more unscrupulous individuals might do the same, but charge others for the "service".

Me thinks that as long as Macross: the First continues to be published in Macross Ace, the collected volumes will remain in-print (or reprint).

There are some of us with the skills to do it, but we are resisting even producing a text-only translation because of the ease that someone else could take our work and photoshop it onto scans of the manga collections; thereby reducing the number of people buying the originals (thereby putting a damper on further Macross productions). Even more unscrupulous individuals might do the same, but charge others for the "service".

I'm pretty sure that's been the reason why we haven't put out the translated book one yet. But then there's the dilema of those "unscrupulous" individuals who will charge for it. Do we put it out to shut them down, or do we stick to not making it available? It's too bad that putting up a scanlation just wouldn't help spawn people to buy it, instead of keeping people from doing so. I dunno, maybe setting up something for people who already bought it maybe, but then, do you really know if they bought it? The trust issue needs to be there, and you'd probably need to know them well enough to know they won't post it up freely for everyone.

I'm pretty sure that's been the reason why we haven't put out the translated book one yet. But then there's the dilema of those "unscrupulous" individuals who will charge for it. Do we put it out to shut them down, or do we stick to not making it available? It's too bad that putting up a scanlation just wouldn't help spawn people to buy it, instead of keeping people from doing so. I dunno, maybe setting up something for people who already bought it maybe, but then, do you really know if they bought it? The trust issue needs to be there, and you'd probably need to know them well enough to know they won't post it up freely for everyone.

Yeah, this sounds like that idea for subbing Macross Blu-Rays that you and I were discussing in PMs a couple of months ago.

Posting a picture of ourselves holding the copy is proof enough that we bought it? :lol:

It's a shame I can't read/speak Japanese cause I would 100% enjoy all of my Macross books.

I speak Spanish (native language), English, German and Portuguese, so I can't be accused of showing lack of interest in studying foreign languages. But I have not enough time to start with Japanese :(

I always support buying originals, damn, I may be the only idiot that still buys CD's and vinyls.

Posting a picture of ourselves holding the copy is proof enough that we bought it? :lol:

It's a shame I can't read/speak Japanese cause I would 100% enjoy all of my Macross books.

I speak Spanish (native language), English, German and Portuguese, so I can't be accused of showing lack of interest in studying foreign languages. But I have not enough time to start with Japanese :(

I always support buying originals, damn, I may be the only idiot that still buys CD's and vinyls.

No, you're not the only one. I still buy my music CDs, and I buy my Itunes songs if there's a band I don't know much about but like one or two songs. I've been wanting to learn Japanese, as not only for conversation and my hobbies, but also for work, as I get a decent bonus for learning another language.

I guess the pic of the person holding the book would seem good enough, but it goes back to my post before the last one. It's not my call. I did the photoshop work of adding the script to book one with another very talented guy, but didn't do the actual translation. I'm not one to undermine this person's hard work and time they put into translating for this project, and as I've gotten several pms of people asking to send it to them secretly, I simply can't do that. When they announce the setup for getting it to people, it'll be a great day for all. I just hope that people realize that having the official release is something no translated and computer screen or printed out version can replace. I hope those waiting for a translated version stop waiting, and support the product. The rewards will come from it. :D

It's extremely easy to photoshop one book cover over another. So the veracity of any photo evidence is out the window. The secret club thang does have merit. But...

Anyhow, one doesn't have to understand Japanese fluently to get a grasp of what's going on (by "reading" the text, not looking at the art). You simply have to:

1) learn the basics of Japanese. Essentially enough to understand how to type kana and the SOV order.

2) install a Japanese IME in your PC.

3) input the text you want to translate* in your online translator of choice (I recommend: http://honyaku.nifty.com/ )

Optional: install Firefox (if you haven't already done so), and the Perapera-kun add on. It's an invaluable tool for knowing exactly what an individual word means with only 1 click of the mouse.

* before anyone complains about kanji, keep in mind that the majority of the text in Macross Ace's manga is furigana. So it's only a case of matching the kanji once the right hiragana is input in the IME.

It's extremely easy to photoshop one book cover over another. So the veracity of any photo evidence is out the window. The secret club thang does have merit. But...

Anyhow, one doesn't have to understand Japanese fluently to get a grasp of what's going on (by "reading" the text, not looking at the art). You simply have to:

1) learn the basics of Japanese. Essentially enough to understand how to type kana and the SOV order.

2) install a Japanese IME in your PC.

3) input the text you want to translate* in your online translator of choice (I recommend: http://honyaku.nifty.com/ )

Optional: install Firefox (if you haven't already done so), and the Perapera-kun add on. It's an invaluable tool for knowing exactly what an individual word means with only 1 click of the mouse.

* before anyone complains about kanji, keep in mind that the majority of the text in Macross Ace's manga is furigana. So it's only a case of matching the kanji once the right hiragana is input in the IME.

mendokusai, haha!

Edited by peter

Wait, wait, wait... you want someone ELSE to scan, translate, and photoshop two entire volumes for you, because it's too troublesome for you to input the words into a machine translator...?

Wow...how much of a jerk can you be? :blink:

And people wonder why no one has created a translation of this yet... :rolleyes:

Yeah, I spent 6 years trying to do that (classes at school, language software and a grandmother who's a native speaker) and I still can read jack shit Japanese.

I'll just be waiting until this gets animated. :rolleyes:

And people wonder why no one has created a translation of this yet... :rolleyes:

We know why.

Those who would lovingly translate the books for the fans, also live by the rule that no translation will be made that could jeopardize the sales of the Japanese publication.

It's the double edged sword that we live by.;)

It's the extension of no scans of a book actively being published and sold by Big West license holders.

Edited by Zinjo

Wait, wait, wait... you want someone ELSE to scan, translate, and photoshop two entire volumes for you, because it's too troublesome for you to input the words into a machine translator...?

Wow...how much of a jerk can you be? :blink:

Why not? If no one will do it, I suppose I can get my wife to read it to me whilst peeling grapes for me.

Heck no, I buy CDs constantly. Having said that, anything I dont need new I can get (anime/game CDs etc) 2nd hand pretty easily, often for 50% off or more. But having lost several harddrives and not being a fan of itunes I just dont feel that I 'own' digital only music. Plus, I like supporting artists/anime that I like and having that nice shelf full of CD spines. Not to mention the fact that I often forget what I have when it comes to MP3s. I also tend to skip songs I dont think Ill like without giving them a fair try. But with a CD Ill usually play the disc beginning to end...

Why not? If no one will do it, I suppose I can get my wife to read it to me whilst peeling grapes for me.

I dont know you and am not trying to judge you or anything but I gotta go with Gubaba on this one. You have something that most people learning a second language never ever have - someone to learn and practice with! That speeds up the learning process immeasurably, not to mention it can create better understanding of and respect for your partner.

Then again, Im probably biased - as someone who once worked as a counsellor, I've seen far too many international couples split up because one partner simply couldnt make the effort to learn the others language and culture (it was usually the English speakee).

Once again - not trying to be judgemental. Just my 2 yen.

I dont know you and am not trying to judge you or anything but I gotta go with Gubaba on this one. You have something that most people learning a second language never ever have - someone to learn and practice with! That speeds up the learning process immeasurably, not to mention it can create better understanding of and respect for your partner.

Then again, Im probably biased - as someone who once worked as a counsellor, I've seen far too many international couples split up because one partner simply couldnt make the effort to learn the others language and culture (it was usually the English speakee).

Enhhh...that's going to far, I think. Someone shouldn't have to learn a whole new language just because they want to read a comic. But by the same token, if someone's waiting for someone ELSE to do all the work, and do it fast, well, and free...then that person has no right to complain if it doesn't get done.

Enhhh...that's going to far, I think. Someone shouldn't have to learn a whole new language just because they want to read a comic. But by the same token, if someone's waiting for someone ELSE to do all the work, and do it fast, well, and free...then that person has no right to complain if it doesn't get done.

Meant it more as a general thing, not just learning a language for a single manga. I mean, if I dated a girl from France I guarantee you I'd be speaking French as quickly as possible!

ahhhh... French girls......

Sorry, what were we talking about again?

Meant it more as a general thing, not just learning a language for a single manga. I mean, if I dated a girl from France I guarantee you I'd be speaking French as quickly as possible!

ahhhh... French girls......

Sorry, what were we talking about again?

I know exactly what you mean. My wife is learning Spanish, which is my mother tongue, and I really find it great that it opens up a whole new world for her, including learning Latin American recipes and culture, which exceeds the original motive, namely just being able to converse with my family.

If you think of reading one manga as simply being the initial goal for learning a new language, that's OK, it needn't be the be-all and end-all, as it will invariably open up many more possibilities.

Then again, let us not kid ourselves that expecting all Macross fans in the world to learn Japanese just because of HG is nothing more than a tale more fantastical than the entire plot of Macross The First itself.

As for French girls, my experience was mostly hit-and-miss. :(

Fully agreed with this. I'll add that Gene Simmons (of Kiss fame) was even quoted on "Eigo shaberenai" saying something along the lines of a boy/girlfriend is the best way to learn a language.

It's a shame about the English speakers here (in Japan) who can't be bothered to make the effort to eat local food, let alone learn the basics of the language...

Edited by sketchley

A better scan of the VF1J "The first" in the 2011 calendar that comes with Macross Ace, courtesy of Nippondodododo

I'm not liking the new head designs at all. I don't think they look that great on their own, but they look especially bad in context of being on the battroid. they look way to modern compared to the rest of the VF. The new head would probably have worked if the rest of the Valk had been redone to be more VF-0-esque, but just slapping it on the original design just doesn't work.

It actually looks very good on the comic, but maybe that's just me. I'll post some screenshots if I get the time.

yeah, I looked it up.It's not bad, the new additions are a lot more conservative and work with the original design a lot better than in that calendar illustration. The angry visor is just a bit much for me.

A better scan of the VF1J "The first" in the 2011 calendar that comes with Macross Ace, courtesy of Nippondodododo

This already differs from the design seen in the manga, which didn't have the DYRL-style Skull Squadron shield over the canopy. The older design continues the black and red striping across the spine.

I don't like it until it's a 1/60 in my hands!

One of the issues of Macross Ace came with decals to do up a Hi-Metal 1/100 VF-1J Hikaru in this scheme. You could try that.

One of the issues of Macross Ace came with decals to do up a Hi-Metal 1/100 VF-1J Hikaru in this scheme. You could try that.

I did actually think about trying that out, but those stickers seem too thick to ever look good on a toy that small. It does seem like they would fit, though... Maybe someday when I'm bored of the Hi-Metal, I'll try it and see how it looks.