1 hour ago, JB0 said:

The only person I ever saw translating Macross the First quit because he felt like he was encouraging piracy.

Ah, yeah... I remember that.  That was the same debate that ultimately killed my and Talos's plans to translate Macross the First.

I think he got the farthest tho, two complete volumes before giving up.

I tried Google's phone app and it came up with some interesting, and obviously entirely wrong, translations - even though it highlighted the Kanji characters correctly before trying to translate.  Looks like this is still some ways off from being workable.

2 hours ago, Dynaman said:

I tried Google's phone app and it came up with some interesting, and obviously entirely wrong, translations - even though it highlighted the Kanji characters correctly before trying to translate.  Looks like this is still some ways off from being workable.

Yeah, OCR on Japanese is still a bit of an inexact science.  I worked on an early effort to produce a working kanji OCR back in graduate school, and we had very little success once the number of radicals in a single kanji passed eight.

It was brought to my attention a short while ago that @Gubaba has been doing synopses of each of the revised Macross the First chapters on his blog as they come out.  It enough to at least get the gist of things. :)   (I didn't realize he'd done more than the first one.)

https://gubabablog.wordpress.com/category/super-dimension-fortress-macross-the-first/

Edited by Seto Kaiba

The visuals are great (as to be expected).  I'll keep up with Gubaba's synopsis as they come out and hope that in a few years a translated version is released in the West.  Of course it first has to be completed this time and that is no guarantee either.

On 7/23/2018 at 3:45 AM, Dynaman said:

The visuals are great (as to be expected).  I'll keep up with Gubaba's synopsis as they come out and hope that in a few years a translated version is released in the West.  Of course it first has to be completed this time and that is no guarantee either.

It could be worse.  You are not paying money for each weekly issue.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, zard said:

Any chance Mikimoto will actually finish this series? Does anyone think this will do well as an OAV?

Whether Mikimoto will finish the series the second time around is anyone's guess, but most fans will probably agree it would look nice as an OVA... even if actually becoming an OVA seems unlikely due to Kawamori's aversion to revisiting stories he considers "done".

Edited by Seto Kaiba

46 minutes ago, zard said:

How much ownership rights does Kawamori have?  It would be interesting to see the tv series rebooted.

None as an individual, AFAIK... Macross is jointly owned by Big West and Studio Nue.

He is, for all practical intents and purposes, The Man in Charge of Macross in his official capacity as the franchise's supervisor on top of being involved in various aspects of production including story composition, mechanical design, storyboarding, and directing and serving as executive managing director of Satelight.

On 9/19/2018 at 8:59 PM, zard said:

Gotcha! Thanks for sharing. Well hopefully something amazing will happen for the 50th anniversary in the future.

... that's a ways off!  Can't we hope for something nearer term, like now (the 35th) or the 40th? 

https://cycomi.com/fw/cycomibrowser/chapter/pages/5692

Spoiler

There appears be survivors at Mars Base Sara? and they might be AUNG? ...and Max makes the Tomahawk sexy AF!

Edited by TehPW
I can Remembers cool crap!

On 9/19/2018 at 1:30 PM, zard said:

How much ownership rights does Kawamori have?  It would be interesting to see the tv series rebooted.

I'd watch it over Macross the D.

Kawamori says he doesn't revisit old stuff, but I think the whole idol thing has been rehashed more than enough.

Yamato 2199 was done exceptionally well, I don't see why SDFM couldn't be just as awesome.

7 hours ago, peter said:

I'd watch it over Macross the D.

Kawamori says he doesn't revisit old stuff, but I think the whole idol thing has been rehashed more than enough.

Yamato 2199 was done exceptionally well, I don't see why SDFM couldn't be just as awesome.

Pay him enough cash and he'll reboot The Yellow Submarine for you. I still think that official comment about not wanting to revisit SDFM is because of Harmony Gold's hold on the Macross SDFM IP  (otherwise why did he do Zero, which did a terrific job in reconning many back story elements of SDFM?)… The Great Floating Head has never been viewed by anyone as stupid. There was a policy* reason behind his official declines of doing anything to continue the SDFM storyline specifically...

*Policy or maybe Pride?

Edited by TehPW

5 minutes ago, TehPW said:

*Policy or maybe Pride?

Who can guess the thoughts of the great floating head..?

7 minutes ago, TehPW said:

I still think that official comment about not wanting to revisit SDFM is because of Harmony Gold's hold on the Macross SDFM IP 

It will be interesting to see what happens in a few years..

Macross the First is a great retelling in Manga form. There's so many other stories that could be explored in the Macross universe. 

I can only see chapter 1

The app is not available in my country. Is there a way to see the other chapters? Don't know if I'm clicking the wrong link.

I have the previous 6 books but would like ro know if the story changed.

Screenshot_20181001-111730.png

Edited by Ignacio Ocamica

On 9/25/2018 at 9:53 PM, TehPW said:

I still think that official comment about not wanting to revisit SDFM is because of Harmony Gold's hold on the Macross SDFM IP  (otherwise why did he do Zero, which did a terrific job in reconning many back story elements of SDFM?)…

Not unless he can time travel... because his stated disinterest in revisiting the story and characters of the original Macross series goes back to shortly after Macross: Flash Back 2012 was released when he considered the Macross story to be definitively concluded, and Harmony Gold didn't start to become the legal impediment they are to Macross today until ~2001.

"The Vulcan Science Directorate has determined that time travel is impossible."

Macross Zero was, put simply, a prequel made during a period where prequels were trendy and the story doesn't really touch on Super Dimension Fortress Macross at all.

On 9/25/2018 at 9:53 PM, TehPW said:

There was a policy* reason behind his official declines of doing anything to continue the SDFM storyline specifically...

The gist of it was "Hikaru, Misa, and Minmay's story is over.  They've sailed off into the sunset, so let them go."

4 hours ago, Ignacio Ocamica said:

The app is not available in my country. Is there a way to see the other chapters? Don't know if I'm clicking the wrong link.

Use a VPN to spoof your location?

5 minutes ago, Excal88 said:

Would any japanese book shops carry this manga?  Or does it fall under the whole harmony gold mess?

I'm sure it will. But I doubt there's already a published version of the reboot one. I got my first 6 volumes from HLJ before.

8 minutes ago, Bolt said:

Not sure that was even a draft design that early..

VF-4 development began in 2005, officially.

That said, that is pretty clearly the production VF-4 that didn't exist until 2012.