Got my issue from CD Japan yesterday. Beautiful stuff. Hikimoto's style s just so clean.

Who's the female scientist? I've seen her before but hadn't really focused on her until now.

It probably contains the part you mention then, the prototype thing comes towards the end but is probably followed by some other pages. I connot say for sure as I glimpsed it from an image and not the actual product. Thanks anyway!

Picked up my copy today, can confirm it does contain all the serialized chapters up to NA9, including that one Minmay Yokohama flashback prelude chapter.

Nice. I went with CD Japan since HLJ was backordered.

I forgot they had a point system. This issue was almost free for me. :)

Gotta love point systems! o(^▽^)o thanks to point systems in the past I've scored a free ps3, Wii and 3DS on launch. Also got a 30,000yen discount off the SDFM BD box set (⌒▽⌒) loyalty points rock!

Sometimes, I feel like I live on a space colony far, far from the rest of civilization...why? Because EVERYTHING is late in coming to Poland. The only thing Poland got BEFORE the rest of the world was Star Wars episode II "Attack of the Clones" - I'm not kidding. There was a special showing 1 week before the world premiere - one showing - that's it - and I was there...oh the joy... Nowadays I can't even see Prometheus because while it premiered all over the world - it premieres in Poland in late July...although...I guess this is because of the Euro 2012...

Um...anyways...that long intro was just to lay the groundwork for saying: I finally got Macross The First #3 :-)

So - here's some thoughts:

1) What are those...bug things? They look like Invid from Robotech crossed with Vajra from Macross Frontier... I'm not too keen on them. Maybe if I understood the words then I would think differently?

2) So, the Mr. Lingerie scene gets changed ...for the better? I dunno - I kind of prefered the subtle version of the original cartoon...but that may just be the grouchy old nostalgic Pete talking...

3) I like how toned down Misa's civilian fashion is compared to the uber-sex-kitten Minmey. Misa is the perfect lady :-)

4) So, the "poitician" of Macross City is on the Macross? That's an interesting and logical twist. What is this dude's function? UN Spacey honcho?

5) I like that Max pilots a Destroid. The manga would be boring if it featured Max piloting a valkyrie because we've already had lots of nice pictures of Valkyries doing stuff. Besides - it's enough that Hikaru and Roy fly them. Multiple valkyrie works well in an anime format where everything is in motion. But a manga has to offer something fresh to readers - it can't just be more and more pages of the VF-1 doing things (albeit with different heads/paint schemes)... so - kudos to the writers for putting Max behind the "wheels" of a Destroid!

I can't help read this and wonder what a new Macross anime based on this manga would look like. Certainly I think it would be a worthy venture.

Pete

4) So, the "poitician" of Macross City is on the Macross? That's an interesting and logical twist. What is this dude's function? UN Spacey honcho?

I have not read it yet so I don't know what the difference would be, but the mayor was there in the original show as well (unless my memory is more faulty then normal)

The politician was most likely either killed or brought into the Macross in the original because the spacefold occured during the ceremonies and the island was transported into space. I totally forgot him while watching the series because he wasnt that important but now that I think about it, he'd be bursting into the bridge all time if he would have lived.

5) I like that Max pilots a Destroid. The manga would be boring if it featured Max piloting a valkyrie because we've already had lots of nice pictures of Valkyries doing stuff. Besides - it's enough that Hikaru and Roy fly them. Multiple valkyrie works well in an anime format where everything is in motion. But a manga has to offer something fresh to readers - it can't just be more and more pages of the VF-1 doing things (albeit with different heads/paint schemes)... so - kudos to the writers for putting Max behind the "wheels" of a Destroid!

that begegs a question on Max in the manga: He was originally a Destroid Pilot, then before presumably being invited the Valkyrie squads as a 'Trainee'? Then what was his ranks and service? Obviously thinking Japanesse armed forces as the model, was Max a marine or Army soldier originally?

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up Macross the First #4 yesterday and noticed something... odd:

In the Mechanic File, the QF-3000E Ghost is labelled "Unmanned Fighter QE-3000 Ghost".

Is it just a typo... or something more? The text description is unchanged ("A Unified Forces unmanned fighter. It cannot transform but just like the Valkyrie, it can be operated both inside and outside of an atmosphere. It's also loaded aboard the Macross".)

Glad I checked this out first, but as usual I ordered it backordered, before scrolling down to find out that CD Japan still had some available should have checked it out first. Next put both links for HLJ and CD japan on it would a time saver.

Edited by VF-18S Hornet

I really liked this issue! It was good, at times funny, and character-driven. It also had a theme, which reminded me a lot of older anime, where the character (and the reader/viewer) learns a valuable lesson.

Bad thing -- no MacTheFirst next month. :(

I still haven't read Haruhiko Mikimoto's Gundam manga. I really want to read Macross the First. I guess it's never coming out over here. Maybe it's time to dig out my Japanese books again and prepare to look up Kanji.

I still haven't read Haruhiko Mikimoto's Gundam manga. I really want to read Macross the First. I guess it's never coming out over here. Maybe it's time to dig out my Japanese books again and prepare to look up Kanji.

If you can read hiragana OK, then no problem with the kanji. They're all marked with furigana. I think Kodansha does that with all their manga, since my Macross Plus TacName has it too.

If you can read hiragana OK, then no problem with the kanji. They're all marked with furigana. I think Kodansha does that with all their manga, since my Macross Plus TacName has it too.

Not with all their manga. Only the ones for the "shonen" crowd. Good example: Akira certainly doesn't have it.

I really liked this issue! It was good, at times funny, and character-driven. It also had a theme, which reminded me a lot of older anime, where the character (and the reader/viewer) learns a valuable lesson.

Bad thing -- no MacTheFirst next month. :(

The only problem with the latest issue was the fact that I CANT UNSEE THIS!!!!

post-9325-0-42374600-1342497747_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tochiro

That's cool then. However, I'll still need to look words up to translate. I'm only so so with Japanese but reading manga helps.