Could a plain translation (no scan) increase the likliehood of someone buying Macross The First?

I suppose you could still have some jerk "stealing" the script and making a scanlation out of the script, and taking you back to the original problem...

Anyway, Macross The First is super cheap, it's well worth the money just for the art. It's not like a $150 VF-1 or $350 VF-0 from Arcadia. I got all 5 MTF collected volumes together for like $35-$40.

Could a plain translation (no scan) increase the likliehood of someone buying Macross The First?

I suppose you could still have some jerk "stealing" the script and making a scanlation out of the script, and taking you back to the original problem...

Yes. That's why I've avoided translating manga. On the one hand, it's super easy to do (all Macross manga has furigana - no need to look up the readings of unknown kanji!), but on the other hand, it's also super easy for some jerk to "steal" it, photoshop it into high quality scans, and "save people the trouble of having to buy it".

Catch-22.

Anyway, Macross The First is super cheap, it's well worth the money just for the art. It's not like a $150 VF-1 or $350 VF-0 from Arcadia. I got all 5 MTF collected volumes together for like $35-$40.

Quoted for truth!

Hmm....I'd probably be really slow at it, but you pointing out the furigana angle means that even the weakest of amateurs could have some hope at taking a crack at it.

My Japanese is not functional at all, but maybe I'll play with it....one day....for personal enjoyment primarily.

For the first point, I'm "blaming" anyone. If I were to blame someone, I'd blame the Macross Ace editors for not putting together a better magazine that really could've survived. Byy issue four or five, it was clear that they were banking solely on Macross the First.

For the second point, international sales DO make a difference. That's why subs were put on the Macross F movie blu-rays. They know there's a market here for the stuff, so to say "Well, it's only up to the Japanese fans" simply isn't true. (This of course doesn't mean that they'll flat-out ignore the Japanese market, which is primary, and cater solely to western fans, but it does mean that sales in the rest of the world do indeed matter.)

I was just thinking....perhaps part of the symptom is the difficulty of print media finding a place, just like in the USA.

I've been buying them as they come out B))

Support Macross :wub:

I was just thinking....perhaps part of the symptom is the difficulty of print media finding a place, just like in the USA.

I believe it's stemming from a couple of major factors - the general decline of print media with the onset of the Smartphone revolution (I've seen a lot of bookstores close or downsize over the past two years), the aforementioned editors not putting a better product out, and the general decline of interest in properties once their TV series is no longer being broadcast (the speed of the drop off is quite fast at times in Japan).

There are other factors, such as a bad distribution network for brick and mortar bookstores (I've seen this cited in an article for the advent of Smartphone oriented novels), but I doubt that those played as much a role as the big 3 did.

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately, the latest chapter of MACROSS THE FIRST on ComicWalker has been delayed yet again.

The latest update was originally scheduled for April 7, before being reschedules to April 13. As of yesterday it was rescheduled yet again - to May 12.

Oh well, at least theres the new tankobon to look forward to...

• 3 weeks later...

For the second point, international sales DO make a difference. That's why subs were put on the Macross F movie blu-rays. They know there's a market here for the stuff, so to say "Well, it's only up to the Japanese fans" simply isn't true. (This of course doesn't mean that they'll flat-out ignore the Japanese market, which is primary, and cater solely to western fans, but it does mean that sales in the rest of the world do indeed matter.)

When did they do that I have the ones that did not have them on, man I have been out of the loop.

Edited by VF-18S Hornet

Well now, this IS a pleasant surprise!

Ostensibly to coincide with the release of the 6th published collected volume today, Macross the First has also received a new digital chapter!

That's two updates this month!

See ComicWalker for details (as usual, your device must be set to Japanese in order to see the new content).

post-9325-0-07046200-1432609385_thumb.jpgpost-9325-0-89982200-1432609412_thumb.jpgpost-9325-0-46515900-1432609426_thumb.jpg

Hang on, the Shudista box set only came out in May of last year, so it hasn't been as long a couple of years ago! Stop making me feel old! :lol:

(Actually, wasn't it one year almost to the day??)

Edited by Renato

So the printing was delayed for the digital release, or the other way around?

edit: I mean we all know about Mikimoto and his eternal battle with deadlines. But with it's digital release, it's easier to upload that chapter up than it is to print out all the books with it in it.

So I guess they waited till they had the book printed and shipped first before uploading into Comicwalker?

The manga industry and it's inner workings are still a mystery to me, and may be better that way if it is as tough(and not just for the artists but those in the offices, editors, managers...) as it's been hinted in various medias, articles, shows, etc.

Edited by Strumvogel

I have 25 days left to ship my items (which include MTF Volume 6) from my private warehouse at HLJ

The question is will the Advance YF-19 be joining that shipment.