Thanks for replying Gubaba. I had no idea there was this much turmoil going on. I understand it's a lot of work to translate and if it's not fun for you then it's not worth it. What really bothers me is why there aren't people lined up to help translate it. I see so many obscure manga getting fan translations yet MTF only has barely a handful of people interested in working on it. I would think it's obvious how the quality of Macross outshines most anime and manga. I don't understand why it's still such an underdog.

With a series as important to me as Macross I try to support it in any way I can. But I'm not sure what impact international sales of Macross the First have on it's overall sales figures. It's main focus is of course Japanese fans and it may be that they aren't all that interested in the magazines that MTF were distributed in. I wonder how well the collected volumes and digital sales have been doing. It has staying power despite the setbacks and it gives me hope that the series will continue until Mikimoto ends it on his own terms. It means more to me that it continues to be published than to have it translated to English.

Edited by Minmei's Microphone

I'm gonna keep buyin' em as long as he keeps spittin' em out. As much as I'd love a translation, the language barrier isn't gonna stop me from gawkin at the pretty drawings. :)

But I'm not sure what impact international sales of Macross the First have on it's overall sales figures. It's main focus is of course Japanese fans and it may be that they aren't all that interested in the magazines that MTF were distributed in.

If every Macross fan outside of Japan had bought Macross Ace, don't you think it would still be around now, regardless of whether the Japanese fans went for it or not?

I wouldn't blame Macross fans outside Japan for the demise of Macross Ace. How could anyone know of it's existence unless they are a superfan and browse these forums? In my case I wait for the collected volumes to buy it which is probably like most fans interested in MTF. Besides it's not like Macross Ace was so widely available. I never even saw it at Kinokuniya.

If every Macross fan outside of Japan had bought Macross Ace, don't you think it would still be around now, regardless of whether the Japanese fans went for it or not?

No I don't. The International Macross fanbase is so small compared to Japans that it would only make a small fraction of a difference if any. I doubt if the publisher even knows or cares what portion of their distribution is sold overseas. Whether Macross lives or dies is based solely up to the Japanese fans.

I wouldn't blame Macross fans outside Japan for the demise of Macross Ace. How could anyone know of it's existence unless they are a superfan and browse these forums? In my case I wait for the collected volumes to buy it which is probably like most fans interested in MTF. Besides it's not like Macross Ace was so widely available. I never even saw it at Kinokuniya.

No I don't. The International Macross fanbase is so small compared to Japans that it would only make a small fraction of a difference if any. I doubt if the publisher even knows or cares what portion of their distribution is sold overseas. Whether Macross lives or dies is based solely up to the Japanese fans.

For the first point, I'm "blaming" anyone. If I were to blame someone, I'd blame the Macross Ace editors for not putting together a better magazine that really could've survived. Byy issue four or five, it was clear that they were banking solely on Macross the First.

For the second point, international sales DO make a difference. That's why subs were put on the Macross F movie blu-rays. They know there's a market here for the stuff, so to say "Well, it's only up to the Japanese fans" simply isn't true. (This of course doesn't mean that they'll flat-out ignore the Japanese market, which is primary, and cater solely to western fans, but it does mean that sales in the rest of the world do indeed matter.)

Scanlation and fansub drama is endless. It baffles me how big some peoples egos get over this stuff just so SharkMan57 or whoever can get some internet street cred and pretend that they created something.

I'm no saint when it comes to this stuff, but I do my best to support the things that I enjoy. Text translations are they way to go.

Whenever one does anything public, volunteers and or posts online, one will suffer some unwanted attention. I’m not saying accept it or make excuses, but be aware and understand it's unavoidable. Just be thankful that you’re not a high profile woman in the video games industry right now :)

Because of my Macross fansite, I still get requests by folks that want Macross stuff. Occasionally I’ll have to suffer the odd harassment by someone incessantly demanding I provide them customized art. My only advice to those translators is not to let the bad bring them down.

When it comes to the legal/financial ethics of fandom online, I really don’t have an answer. It’s up to each individual to reconcile what they share online and think about the results. I build my Macross fansite because of love for the IP, the hobby’s prohibitive expense and the desire to share what is so obscure for most fans. So much of the Macross material never sees the light of day over here in North America and even fewer are aware. As a result, the English-speaking fans are typically left to do for themselves. At this point in the age of the franchise, most of the rarer material will never be seen by most Macross fans unless someone like me shares it on a website. What good is some 25-year-old $250 collectible Macross book if all it does is gather dust on my shelf until I die? I might as well scan the art, have fun learning to color it and share the artwork online. At least other Macross fans can enjoy art they would never have seen otherwise.

Edited by Mr March

Can we blame Harmony Gold?

Kidding of course (NO really i am kidding don't hurt me)

But I do have a LOT LOT LOT of legally purchased Gundam IN ENGLISH. and a lot LESS legally purchased Macross.. i wonder why that is.

Anyhow. It is exciting news that a new volume of Macross the First will be published on paper. Maybe I'm just old, but online digital comics just don't do the same thing for me that a real book does. That 'japanese paper smell' I remember from hunting for things in Los Angelese as a kid, is so exotic.

Aren't you forgetting about that lawsuit a few years back...?

Yes I remember, but a lawsuit within the Japanese court system is a lot easier for them than fighting an international copyright case. It would be an uphill battle against HG. Especially when American copyright law doesn't recognize decisions made in the Japanese courts. They see the cost of legal fees outweighing the profit of distributing Macross worldwide. It's purely a money thing.

Edited by Minmei's Microphone

Yes I remember, but a lawsuit within the Japanese court system is a lot easier for them than fighting an international copyright case. It would be an uphill battle against HG. Especially when American copyright law doesn't recognize decisions made in the Japanese courts. They see the cost of legal fees outweighing the profit of distributing Macross worldwide. It's purely a money thing.

You seem to be operating under the misconception that Tatsunoko Production and Harmony Gold are illegally using Big West's copyrights. However, they've been fully compliant since the matter was settled in the Japanese courts years ago.

The situation is understandably confusing since Harmony Gold often plays (legal) hardball with their limited rights and, as a result, they've become widely unpopular amongst Macross and Transformers fans. Not to mention that Robotech's spokeman tends to make ambiguous and unhelpful statements concerning Harmony Gold and Tastunoko's rights. I recommend reading this post for more information.

To me, it does not matter which company is right or wrong, I'd just like to be able to legally obtain subtitled and translated Macross video and Manga in the US, at US market prices.

Its a shame that Frontier, DYRL, Macross 7, Macross the First, etc.. aren't widely available over here without importing.

For example: I have bought Macross the First in Japanese, and while its beautiful, it sure would be nice to have some idea what they are saying.

I really love my Vertical Pub. Gundam Origin Books. They are top notch high quality, properly priced products.

Edited by lavinrac

Macross Frontier Movies with english subtitles Bluray is a start...

... well actually, Macross Plus movie did it...

... Bromance...

Edited by Bub

Macross Frontier Movies with english subtitles Bluray is a start...

... well actually, Macross Plus movie did it...

... Bromance...

Those were done by completely different teams - please dont but the excellent Frontier subs in the same basket as the Plus ones (which do the job as well, but just arent that polished and unfortunately have a few errors).

Eitherway, both ARE available legitimately and with English subs - hurrah! :-)

Its great that fans can show their support by importing them :-)

Just as they can with Macross The First (for the art, if nothing else).

Heres hoping the latest chapter of MTF marks a return to more regular monthly content.

Fingers crossed!

Is the latest chapter still in flashback mode?

If so, they are doing what I was hoping would have been done in the last episode of the OVA....

I cannot recall exactly...but I think the 1/48 VF-1A low Viz was released around the time Macross Zero was released...I was thinking it would have been great if it made an appearance on the series...squadron of VF-1's showing up and wiping out the SV-51's.....

Can't wait to see how the match ends.....

Well, new chapters are ONLY being published on Comic Walker now, so I'm not sure what you mean by the "actual publishing dates"...

Ok, so is it only on Comic Walker or are the Comic Walker dates identical to the dates of whatever magazine the manga is serialized in e.g, Newtype? Edited by Primus1X

The chapters that were also in Newtype Ace before it went defunct have the same publishing dates though, right?

The first three chapters that were published on Comic Walker were originally published in Newtype Ace about a year previous. They are also included in Vol. 5 of the collected books.

When it comes to the legal/financial ethics of fandom online, I really don’t have an answer. It’s up to each individual to reconcile what they share online and think about the results. I build my Macross fansite because of love for the IP, the hobby’s prohibitive expense and the desire to share what is so obscure for most fans. So much of the Macross material never sees the light of day over here in North America and even fewer are aware. As a result, the English-speaking fans are typically left to do for themselves. At this point in the age of the franchise, most of the rarer material will never be seen by most Macross fans unless someone like me shares it on a website. What good is some 25-year-old $250 collectible Macross book if all it does is gather dust on my shelf until I die? I might as well scan the art, have fun learning to color it and share the artwork online. At least other Macross fans can enjoy art they would never have seen otherwise.

My dividing line is that out of print titles are fair game. BW has made their profits and only re-sellers are making money on the items now. It is not very common that BW will re-issue the same media, i recall only the re-release of the Gold Book on digital format a few years ago.

That being said, items like the Frontier releases with subs and the Mac Plus releases in English dub and subbed are off limits, IMHO. BW was gracious enough to recognize Western fans and I for one don't want to discourage that.