That's been worrying me, too...Gundam Ace last month said, "Ecole du Ciel: Returning soon...?" and this month had "Ecole du Ciel: Returning next month!"

Now, I like Ecole du Ciel...but I love Macross the First. So yeah...I share your hope.

Does this mean that GUNDAM: THE ORIGIN is finally coming to an end?

At what point in the story are they now?

Did not notice Max the first time I looked through Vol. 2 (p. 142) I really liked the shot of Admiral Hayase back on Earth after the Macross fold.

MACROSS: THE FIRST... it's "crack" for old-school types.

Edited by Tom Bateman

Damn!! Macross the first #01. is discontinued at hlj.com!!!

Hope I still get my #02. on backorder with them!!

You can still get it on amazon.jp.co, gonna get the wife to order vol 1 and 2 for me and have it sent to her folks in Japan...she'll pick em up for me when she goes back next week.

Edited by peter

• 2 weeks later...

You can still get it on amazon.jp.co, gonna get the wife to order vol 1 and 2 for me and have it sent to her folks in Japan...she'll pick em up for me when she goes back next week.

Thanx Peter :) I cancelled my order with hlj.com and went with Macross1982 I,ve got my MTF#02 now, but will check out amazon.jp.co!

• 2 weeks later...

SO you don't say nobody told you!!

there's a promo of Macross the first HERE!!

http://www.sendspace.com/file/vms6bi

It's all translated for you, the full version in december...

(only for members only)

more info on my group homepage in facebook

Just had a look at the promo pages... Nice work!

While it's fun and nostalgic to try and follow the story through the action of the panels, with no Japanese language skills, I'd find a literal scanlation like yours pretty useful at times.

I like the font you've changed to for the Zent's speech too.

Cheers.

Haven't been following this thread closely and have not bought the comic.

So, apart from a slight redesign of the head on the VF-1D and VF-1J, are there any other changes?

Also, has the VF-1S and VF-1A head been shown yet? If yes, any changes?

Graham

1) you should run out and buy this comic immediately. you won't regret it

2) main TV story followed but with tons of subtle and many not so subtle changes. All in all, absolutely refreshing experince without losing the original appeal

3) Yes, 1S head appeared (apparently no changes, but if Roy is going to die like in DYRL - and I hope not - then we may have a new head somewhere down the line) and 1A appeared too, DYRL style.

Haven't been following this thread closely and have not bought the comic.

So, apart from a slight redesign of the head on the VF-1D and VF-1J, are there any other changes?

Also, has the VF-1S and VF-1A head been shown yet? If yes, any changes?

Graham

I have to agree with Nexx's point #1. Get it.

As for the rest, the VF-1S and VF-1A are pretty much the same. With the VF-1J, at least Hikaru's, there is more then just the head changed. It has a whole new paint scheme that mixes the original SDF:M Hikaru scheme and the DYRL Skull Squadron ones. As far as other changes, especially story ones, I won't spoil much of it for you. It's mostly minor changes so far, like Roy piloting the lead Angel Birds VF-1A during the Launch Ceremony (Misa does commentary and the mic stand catch), bringing it to modern levels of tech, so they all have cellphones, etc. Oh, it looks like they are skipping Mars too... :lol:

I have to agree with Nexx's point #1. Get it.

As for the rest, the VF-1S and VF-1A are pretty much the same. With the VF-1J, at least Hikaru's, there is more then just the head changed. It has a whole new paint scheme that mixes the original SDF:M Hikaru scheme and the DYRL Skull Squadron ones. As far as other changes, especially story ones, I won't spoil much of it for you. It's mostly minor changes so far, like Roy piloting the lead Angel Birds VF-1A during the Launch Ceremony (Misa does commentary and the mic stand catch), bringing it to modern levels of tech, so they all have cellphones, etc. Oh, it looks like they are skipping Mars too... :lol:

The Zentran pilot suit seems to have a new helmet design that makes it less apparent that it is some guy in a suit and not a giant mecha.

Plotwise, they streamlined the pacing somewhat.

For example, the Macross launch antigravity accident is more catastrophic, and is combined into the improbable Minmay mid-air rescue of the series.

Hikaru never makes it back to his fanjet (which is wrecked in all the ruckus). He's caught up with Minmay in the fold while still in the VF-1D. He also doesn't spend as much time angsting before enlisting after his rescue.

Also, apparently Kaifun is already onboard the Macross (and looks kinda like Char), so they might skip the home visit to Yokohama thing as well.

Edited by hulagu

are there any scanlations yet?

Pfft Minmay is the scandal...:p

What was once obscured by naivete in the series is very apparent the new Manga. Minmay is a constant flirt and tease. She's a model, so she knows that her looks get places... She is not afraid to use it either.

What was once obscured by naivete in the series is very apparent the new Manga. Minmay is a constant flirt and tease. She's a model, so she knows that her looks get places... She is not afraid to use it either.

How do you figure? She's pushier in the comic than she was in the series, that's for sure...but she doesn't strike me as especially manipulative or conniving...

If you read Gubaba's translation of "My Fair Minmey" - you'll see that actually Minmay in SDFM TV was way more manipulative and sophisticated than what we saw in the anime. Given that we saw her in a public context, we kind of well for the act ourselves...but the book gives us a good look at some of her more conniving traits.

How do you figure? She's pushier in the comic than she was in the series, that's for sure...but she doesn't strike me as especially manipulative or conniving...

Minmey in Macross: The First comes across pretty much the same as she did in the series - I'll agree in general with that... but do you find your view of Minmey being influenced much by 'My Fair Minmay' ?

Pete

If you read Gubaba's translation of "My Fair Minmey" - you'll see that actually Minmay in SDFM TV was way more manipulative and sophisticated than what we saw in the anime. Given that we saw her in a public context, we kind of well for the act ourselves...but the book gives us a good look at some of her more conniving traits.

Minmey in Macross: The First comes across pretty much the same as she did in the series - I'll agree in general with that... but do you find your view of Minmey being influenced much by 'My Fair Minmay' ?

Pete

I don't really think she did anything conniving in My Fair Minmay...what exactly are you referring to?

I don't really think she did anything conniving in My Fair Minmay...what exactly are you referring to?

I'd have to dig the file out of my email (assuming you emailed it to me) or ask you to send it again to be specific - because the copy you sent me a long time ago died along with my old computer... Now I have back up for everything on DVD though :-)

Um..but to be general and vague: I remember that during the Miss Macross context the feeling of the locker room was a lot like episode 4 in Macross Frontier, where the girls were cynical and kind of cruel, and Minmey was equally sophisticated, rather than being innocent like Ranka.

That's not to say she did anything conniving - but that she seemed to show her claws, or demonstrate that she was the type of person who could be uncompromising in gaining a career and fame.

Pete

I'd have to dig the file out of my email (assuming you emailed it to me) or ask you to send it again to be specific - because the copy you sent me a long time ago died along with my old computer... Now I have back up for everything on DVD though :-)

Um..but to be general and vague: I remember that during the Miss Macross context the feeling of the locker room was a lot like episode 4 in Macross Frontier, where the girls were cynical and kind of cruel, and Minmey was equally sophisticated, rather than being innocent like Ranka.

That's not to say she did anything conniving - but that she seemed to show her claws, or demonstrate that she was the type of person who could be uncompromising in gaining a career and fame.

Pete

I think you're misremembering...she mostly just sat watching in shock as the other girls laid into each other, and then says, "Scary. These people are unbelievable. I'm the only one who doesn't know anything."

Edited by Gubaba

I think you're misremembering...she mostly just sat watching in shock as the other girls laid into each other, and then says, "Scary. These people are unbelievable. I'm the only one who doesn't know anything."

Ok - I totally misremembered then. :-)

I knew it was something like in episode 4 of Macross Frontier; I just for some reason remembered Minmey being the opposite of Ranka in this context rather than the same :-)

thanks!

Pete

I do agree that Minmay in MtF does come off more more sure and a little bit more demanding. In the series, she comes of a bit reactive to the scene around her, where in MtF, she is much more proactive. However, in the same context, she still has the light hearted demeanor and smile that we're used to. I don't think there could've been a better way to update her than to give her more "demand" and yet still retain the qualities of a meek young lady. The balance plays out nicely.

Macross The First; Share thoughts on the manga volumes

i think it'd be a terrific starting point for an SDF MACROSS Anime series remake...

Edited by Shaorin

• 2 weeks later...

I think a request of the translated scans was made, but thanks all the same...B))

I suspect the creepy things are an extension of the tentacles Exdol was using in DYRL to play the music card. Except these are weaponized.

Maybe its type of grappling system similar to the one incorporated into the Glipernich PD?

I think a request of the translated scans was made, but thanks all the same...B))

I suspect the creepy things are an extension of the tentacles Exdol was using in DYRL to play the music card. Except these are weaponized.

Maybe its type of grappling system similar to the one incorporated into the Glipernich PD?

When I first saw the drones that create that tentacle type weapon, at first, it was a "WTF???" moment. But after examining the pages, it seemed like a pretty cool addition. Seems these drone type weapons can link together as an anti ship weapon, or fight independently. IMO, it adds more to the "organic-like" feel the Zentraedi have.

OMFG. ok. they should, SHOULD retoanime this serial. I have a very raging mecharosal to deal with...

Macross the First #7...

ASTEROID CRACKER!!! AWESOME!!

First, Minmay delivering food to the bridge, then the Asteroid Cracker. I'm now POSITIVE that Mikimoto is pulling out ideas that didn't make it into the production of the show, and adding them into the comic.

Here's hoping we get to see the Sunriser destroy the Moon later on. :D

I think Hal Mikimoto is very underrated as a mecha artist; those Destroids and Macross art is fantastic. Character art are always top notch but the blond guy with glasses a little too emo for me. I love the new take on "Mr. Lingerie" story.

You know who the blond guy is, right? :D

And...quite frankly...I don't think Mikimoto is doing the mecha art. I think that's something his assistants are covering.

You know who the blond guy is, right? :D

And...quite frankly...I don't think Mikimoto is doing the mecha art. I think that's something his assistants are covering.

He's quite obviously a Char. :p (Yes, I know who he really is, but still...)

I wouldn't be surprised if his assistants were doing the mecha art. He probably does the same thing in École du Ciel.

My copy of Macross Ace #007 (and Master Archive MS RGM-79 GM and Master File VF-1 vol 2) are in the mail and should get here on Monday. Good week. :lol:

He's quite obviously a Char. :p (Yes, I know who he really is, but still...)

Well, he DOES have an interest in teenage girls, and he's easily three times more obnoxious than the rest of the cast...so, yeah...the resemblance is definitely there. :D

I wouldn't be surprised if his assistants were doing the mecha art. He probably does the same thing in École du Ciel.

Funnily enough, both the new episodes of Macross the First and Ecole du Ciel were mostly mecha. Maybe that's how he's managing both series at the same time...

(That said, it looks like Ecole is building to a climax...so maybe it'll be over in a few months...)

My copy of Macross Ace #007 (and Master Archive MS RGM-79 GM and Master File VF-1 vol 2) are in the mail and should get here on Monday. Good week. :lol:

Huh...I saw the GM book at the bookstore today...I didn't realize it was new. :unsure:

Well, he DOES have an interest in teenage girls, and he's easily three times more obnoxious than the rest of the cast...so, yeah...the resemblance is definitely there. :D

Don't forget the sunglasses!

Funnily enough, both the new episodes of Macross the First and Ecole du Ciel were mostly mecha. Maybe that's how he's managing both series at the same time...

(That said, it looks like Ecole is building to a climax...so maybe it'll be over in a few months...)

That just reminds me that I need to catch up on Ecole. :lol:

Huh...I saw the GM book at the bookstore today...I didn't realize it was new. :unsure:

According to Amazon.jp, it came out in September. I will probably start a thread on it when I get it in the mail unless you grab a copy and do it first. Looks to be interesting.

Character art are always top notch but the blond guy with glasses a little too emo for me.

That's an interesting way of saying he's a very, very good character artist (as in - he's got an excellent diversity of characters and even portrays the unsettling personalities realistically). :p

According to Amazon.jp, it came out in September. I will probably start a thread on it when I get it in the mail unless you grab a copy and do it first. Looks to be interesting.

I thought the RGM book was out longer. Even the "newer" MSM-03 Gogg book has been out for a good month or so.

That's an interesting way of saying he's a very, very good character artist (as in - he's got an excellent diversity of characters and even portrays the unsettling personalities realistically). :p

I thought the RGM book was out longer. Even the "newer" MSM-03 Gogg book has been out for a good month or so.

I think you're thinking about the Gakken Mook one. http://www.amazon.co.jp/MOBILE-SUIT-RGM%E2%80%9079%E3%82%B8%E3%83%A0-%E5%8F%8C%E8%91%89%E7%A4%BEMOOK-%E5%8F%8C%E8%91%89%E7%A4%BE%E3%83%A0%E3%83%83%E3%82%AF/dp/4575464511/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1293336212&sr=8-2 The Gogg book is in this series.

I got that too, early this year. The one I'm talking about is this, which came out a few months ago. http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%83%9E%E3%82%B9%E3%82%BF%E3%83%BC%E3%82%A2%E3%83%BC%E3%82%AB%E3%82%A4%E3%83%96-%E3%82%B8%E3%83%A0-MASTER-ARCHIVE-MOBILESUIT-RGM-79GM/dp/4797359048/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1293336212&sr=8-1 Same group that publishes Master Files.

Macross the First #7...

ASTEROID CRACKER!!! AWESOME!!

First, Minmay delivering food to the bridge, then the Asteroid Cracker. I'm now POSITIVE that Mikimoto is pulling out ideas that didn't make it into the production of the show, and adding them into the comic.

Here's hoping we get to see the Sunriser destroy the Moon later on. :D

Yeah I was thinking the exact same thing ;-)