Totally. The thing is, I see girls dressed like that EVERY SINGLE DAY. I don't know if it's a blessing or a curse.

Welcome to Japan! :D

So what did you think of Kamujin's attack? Weird, huh?

It's making me think that we won't be having a trip to the surface of Mars, a la SDFM.

What happened in that episode? Picked up resources (Destroids mining asteroid, check), SDF-1 captured by a gravity field to prevent it's escape (captured, check), Kamujin mounts a surprise attack (check).

I think we'll get the Misa former love interest covered in flashback. Of course, Hikaru has to rescue her... hmmm...

Not really...

*not going to quote a large image again* :p

Ah yes, the new VF-1D head... I remember when I first got Macross Ace and saw that. It was a really interesting design, partially since I always thought the old head was ugly as sin. Awhile ago I used the sketches in the back of Macross the First tankobon vol 1 to add the head in to the VF-1D I was drawing at the time. It came out pretty well, I think. I did up two color side views for Mr March's site, which allows a comparison here with the TV-style VF-1D side view he already had.

Regular VF-1D (done by Mr March)

http://www.macross2.net/m3/sdfmacross/vf-1d-valkyrie/schematic-vf1d.gif

Macross the First-style head VF-1D

http://www.macross2.net/m3/sdfmacross/vf-1d-valkyrie/schematic-vf1dmtf.gif

Virgin Road MtF-style VF-1D, just because it turned out awesome

http://www.macross2.net/m3/sdfmacross/variant-vf-1d-virginroad/schematic-vf1dmtf-virginroad.gif

Ah yes, the new VF-1D head... I remember when I first got Macross Ace and saw that. It was a really interesting design, partially since I always thought the old head was ugly as sin. Awhile ago I used the sketches in the back of Macross the First tankobon vol 1 to add the head in to the VF-1D I was drawing at the time. It came out pretty well, I think. I did up two color side views for Mr March's site, which allows a comparison here with the TV-style VF-1D side view he already had.

Regular VF-1D (done by Mr March)

http://www.macross2.net/m3/sdfmacross/vf-1d-valkyrie/schematic-vf1d.gif

Macross the First-style head VF-1D

http://www.macross2.net/m3/sdfmacross/vf-1d-valkyrie/schematic-vf1dmtf.gif

Virgin Road MtF-style VF-1D, just because it turned out awesome

http://www.macross2.net/m3/sdfmacross/variant-vf-1d-virginroad/schematic-vf1dmtf-virginroad.gif

are you gonna edit those images with the Hull Number (102) & UN Spacy? hmmm? hmm? i'm ploting a cruise jacket with one of those side profiles.... *drools* :)

are you gonna edit those images with the Hull Number (102) & UN Spacy? hmmm? hmm? i'm ploting a cruise jacket with one of those side profiles.... *drools* :)

It wouldn't be hard to, I already have the UN Spacy text that I've used for years, such as on my VF-4 profiles. When I did those, they were simple, unshaded color profiles in the style of Mr March's, so I didn't put much in the way of markings on them. Just the kite.

We all expect pictures of the cruise jacket when you finish, of course!

So what did you think of Kamujin's attack? Weird, huh?

If (and it's a big if) they follow TV story

and Kamjin is still the one that tells Mirya about the ace micron pilot, then it makes sense that in the "showdown" Hikaru is replaced by Max. It's weird (but cool) to see Max in a Tomahawk, though!

Or did you mean the tentacle-attack things?

Wow!!! All I can say is WOW!!! What a great cliffhanger.

The reveal of Max starting off as a destroid tomahawk operator was awesome and the battle pods vs Destroids battle was epic.

He is actually

shown flying a VF1A in the previous episode, just after the first landing of Hikaru. I guess they assign new pilots to destroid units for battroid operation training. Remember that in the TV series Hikaru knows how to operate a destroid, too.

But I agree, it's quite a cliffhanger :)

At least the story is so well known, that you almost don't need to know what they're saying. The pictures do a great job of telling the story. But yeah, knowing what they are saying does help.

At least the story is so well known, that you almost don't need to know what they're saying. The pictures do a great job of telling the story. But yeah, knowing what they are saying does help.

You bring up a good point regarding the story being well known, so you can half and half make out what's going on. Apart from that, Macross the First is worth it just for Mikimoto Haruhiko's absolutely stunning art. This is just one huge treat to fans of his work.

Edited by shiroth

You bring up a good point regarding the story being well known, so you can half and half make out what's going on. Apart from that, Macross the First is worth it just for Mikimoto Haruhiko's absolutely stunning art. This is just one huge treat to fans of his work.

Exactly, being able to see new Mikimoto work on Macross is very exciting, and almost sells itself. The detail in the work is spectacular. I buy the Macross Ace magazine, and this is always the highlight of it.

Exactly, being able to see new Mikimoto work on Macross is very exciting, and almost sells itself. The detail in the work is spectacular. I buy the Macross Ace magazine, and this is always the highlight of it.

Reminds me of the old days in the eighties watching anime with NO subtitles, NO script, NO synopsis. Just plain watching what happens. It was enjoyable but finding out things later made us go, "Ohhhhhh!"

Finally got my hands on Volume 2. Still have to land a copy of Volume 1 though.

Some questions

Is that Xena Paltrow character supposed to replace that one male chief engineer (Robotech's Dr. Lang)?

Why does Misa faint dead away after the first transformation when she recognizes Hikaru, Minmay and the wreckage of VT-102?

The Char on page 126, is he a Kaifun?

Edited by hulagu

Finally got my hands on Volume 2. Still have to land a copy of Volume 1 though.

Some questions

Is that Xena Paltrow character supposed to replace that one male chief engineer (Robotech's Dr. Lang)?

Why does Misa faint dead away after the first transformation when she recognizes Hikaru, Minmay and the wreckage of VT-102?

The Char on page 126, is he a Kaifun?

Answers:

1. Apparently so.

2. Just exhaustion.

3. No, he's not "a" Kaifun. He's THE Kaifun!

Finally got Volume 1. Wonderful artwork as expected, this series got me reading manga again. Like the pacing so far (a little better than the original series, actually). At this point it's 3 episodes a volume, so that's like 12 volumes assuming they keep the pacing and stick to the TV outline, yes? How often do the tanks come out?

About Minmay's pet in the Secret Files appendix.

Wait, am I reading this right? Is it really an alien lifeform that rode the ASS-1 crash down and survived? So is it the equivalent of a space bilge rat, or is the Supervision Army actually crewed by tiny lagomorphs?

Why can't Macross idols have normal pets for a change. Like a cat. Or a goldfish. You just know if they ever reboot Plus, they'll give Myung a pterabird chick or something for teh cuteness and to complete the trend.

Edited by hulagu

About Minmay's pet in the Secret Files appendix.

Wait, am I reading this right? Is it really an alien lifeform that rode the ASS-1 crash down and survived? So is it the equivalent of a space bilge rat, or is the Supervision Army actually crewed by tiny lagomorphs?

Why can't Macross idols have normal pets for a change. Like a cat. Or a goldfish. You just know if they ever reboot Plus, they'll give Myung a pterabird chick or something for teh cuteness and to complete the trend.

Checking the book...yes, you are completely correct. :blink:

How come I never noticed that paragraph before...?

Checking the book...yes, you are completely correct. :blink:

:blink:

Wow. It also begs the question: why hasn't anyone else noticed and investigated the alien? Though in momentarily pondering it, I thought that the pet isn't unusual and nobody notices asSouth Ataria Island is infested with them scared.gif

Edited by sketchley

:blink:

Wow. It also begs the question: why hasn't anyone else noticed and investigated the alien? Though in momentarily pondering it, I thought that the pet isn't unusual and nobody notices asSouth Ataria Island is infested with them scared.gif

I know right? Hell, I've been screaming out "WHAT THE HELL IS THAT THING??!!" ever since I saw it, surprised that one one else on the island ever did.

Is that really so?

Might be a decade before it ends then!

Nah, it depends on the amount of manga created.

MtF #1: 196 pages, 2009.11.10; content from Macross Ace Vol. 001, 002

MtF #2: 196 pages, 2010.09.25; content from Macross Ace Vol. 003, 004, 005

Given that Macross Ace is currently being publishing approximately 4 times a year, I expect MtF #3 to be released within 6 months of this post (or 1.3 per year).

Now, given that Macross Ace has already increased from 3 per year to 4, I won't be surprised if it increases to 5 or 6 per year; which would increasee the release rate of MtF to 2+ per year.

Nods.

I can understand him. If he gets tired with the material or doesn't have the motivation to "drag out" the love triangle, I agree that it shouldn't be continued.

Of course, there's always the possibility of doing what Yoshikazu Yasuhiko is doing with "MS Gundam: The Origin"; that is, going back and embellishing the back story and the less-than main characters.

Nods.

I can understand him. If he gets tired with the material or doesn't have the motivation to "drag out" the love triangle, I agree that it shouldn't be continued.

Of course, there's always the possibility of doing what Yoshikazu Yasuhiko is doing with "MS Gundam: The Origin"; that is, going back and embellishing the back story and the less-than main characters.

Well Minmay is one of Mikimoto's all time favorite characters to draw, so after SW1, Minmay doesn't have as large a role in the story as she did during the war, so he may well end it there...B))

I wonder what will happen now that Mikimoto will start releasing Ecole Du Ciel episodes again (november). I really hope he puts an end to it in a couple of episodes and that the superb quality of Macross The First won't go down because of this double-commitment.

I hate Gundam...

That's been worrying me, too...Gundam Ace last month said, "Ecole du Ciel: Returning soon...?" and this month had "Ecole du Ciel: Returning next month!"

Now, I like Ecole du Ciel...but I love Macross the First. So yeah...I share your hope.